SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Victor David Hanson Column

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cjg
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:35 am    Post subject: Victor David Hanson Column Reply with quote

"And so now we have the present mess that will go on for weeks and can only hurt Kerry. He is earning a reputation for once welcoming third-party hit ads, then (now) whining about them; for parading his service, then whining about scrutiny of it; for spouting braggadocio, then whining about hurtful speech. As the Greeks remind us, pride can lead to hubris and then to Nemesis — on its tragic and ultimate rendezvous with ruin."

The Fog of Battle
What comes around, goes....
by Victor Davis Hanson

In some ways he is giving Kerry a break as he speaks of the realities
of how to know what really went on in a war, he is honest that way
and being a war historian he should be.

Above are the comments I liked best on his column on NRO online, but
the column is a good one, as VDH is a good historian and comes to
the conclusion he will not vote for Kerry. (I like that and he is much
admired for his intelligence and people won't vote for Kerry because of this.) Wink

http://www.nationalreview.com/hanson/hanson200408270843.asp
larrygj
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hanson's erudite, reasoned, soft-spoken, even conciliatory tone in this article only makes his conclusions all that more powerful and credible: Kerry brought this on himself, he took it too far, and now he inherits the whirlwind he sowed.

The man is slowly, slowly turning into toast. I have said here elsewhere that he is like the Wicked Witch of the West when hit with water: "....aarggh, I'm melting, I'M MELTING!!!..."

Watch him sink further in the polls.

Larry
Nomorelies
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the entire article. Not all people will ever see the acts that Kerry has committed in the same light. And, very few veterans will ever experience in their souls the calm voice of reason of Victor Davis Hanson. I respect this man as a historian and I have read several of his books. He is erudite, intelligent and worth the read.

However, a code of honor was broken by John Kerry and it cannot be taken back. It cannot be erased and it cannot be forgotten. It is a part of history and is a part of who he was then and is now. We cannot deny the facts as they are written. It is about "Stolen Valor" and he must pay the price now with the price of his lifelong dream....to become President of the United States of America. He forfeited his right 33 years ago. This is the lesson he must live with for the rest of his life.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Mr. Hanson...no dice....

Quote:
...A veteran John Kerry, who easily could have been blown up on numerous occasions, came home mixed up and said and did things he probably now regrets

Wrong on evidence...wrong on conclusion.
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wrong on evidence...wrong on conclusion

I agree and although Hanson is an erudite and usually dead on I feel he is missing the biggest point. Kerry himself is either still naive or doesn't give a damn about his past imperfections. His actions to this point especially in regards to the Swifties are a perfect illustration of that.

Last edited by GenrXr on Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:06 am; edited 1 time in total
kmmpatriot
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:
Sorry Mr. Hanson...no dice....

Quote:
...A veteran John Kerry, who easily could have been blown up on numerous occasions, came home mixed up and said and did things he probably now regrets

Wrong on evidence...wrong on conclusion.

I second your feeling here. Mr. Hanson is giving Kerry the benefit of the doubt...which in my opinion, he most certainly does not deserve.

~Kylie
GenrXr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion Hansons approach is being a 12 year old watching a school yard bully harrassing a fellow student and knowing you should do something yet deciding the best way to help the harrassed student is to get between them and ask for peace. In your mind this accomplishes 2 things currys favor with the bully and potentially stops the harrasment. But truth is your just too weak to do the right thing and stop the bully outright. As much as I like Hanson he is having an arrested development episode with this article. Kerry deserves no good treatment for being the bully.
jrsdad
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you may be missing VDH's more subtle message --

He is saying that, giving Kerry every benefit of the doubt he is still going down in a self-created (almost wrote self-inflicted...) mess.

He is showing that, being a gentleman and avoiding any form of rash accusation or attack, Kerry is still toast.

As a classicist, VDH takes a much longer historical view than most. Like John Derbyshire (also of NRO) he illustrates that you don't need to use the heavy hammers that we tend to use here to break Kerry down.

One thing that VDH and virtually all of the pundits (outside Hewitt) do not understand is the level of scrutiny given to the documents in this case as well as the historical record of statements. It is easy enough to dismiss the SBVFT aging memories under a "fog of war", but what the blogosphere and sites like this have done is apply thousands of minds to the evidence. It is the world's largest jury deliberation, taking the case of the prosecutors (the Swift vets) and the defense of Kerry, and applying them to the facts as we have them in print as well as affidavit.

This is unprecedented. Just as Dean was lauded for his use of the web to build his campaign, the web here is tearing down Kerry's. There is a lot of time left, and much can happen, but the SBVFT may have achieved the "tipping point" in this battle.
GenrXr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think you may be missing VDH's more subtle message --

Hmpf. Not at all go read my last post. I think you are missing my subtle mesage.

Thing is Hanson sounds smart in his post, but is acquiescent to the political Kerry machine. And Hanson can recite all he wants of that time period, but in my opinion he missed the wrong battle that was fought in that century and how it portends to the current situation our country faces. In 480 BC The Battle of Thermopylae was waged by 300 spartans led by King Leonidas of Sparta against the Persians and killed over 75,000. Not only did they chew through the persians like a meat grinder, but they did it because they were disciplined and loved their leader and country. Leonidas only asked his royal guard to come defend Greece with him, because it was custom in Sparta for no man to ask of another something against tradition and custom. Well it happened to be during their holiday ceremonies that the persians came and as such the king left with only his personal security detail. Sacrifice, discipline, accountibility.

I must add the Spartans knew they had to die fighting because the Persians wanted to conquer them. I know this might seem trivial to some, but damn I am beginning to wonder whether people even have a clue as to the enemy we face today.

Last edited by GenrXr on Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:23 am; edited 1 time in total
larrygj
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think all those who have added to this thread have valid and thoughtful points. I think, though, bottom-line, Hanson is saying that Kerry is about to be destroyed by over-playing the war-hero posturing ("hubris") and he is about to be undone by it ("Nemesis"). Here's a defintion of the goddess Nemesis that Hanson mentions and that is about to descend upon Kerry: "Nemsesis: (Greek mythology) the goddess of divine retribution and vengeance." As ye sow, so shall ye reap. From both a classicist and Christian point of view ("pride comes before the fall"), it is an inevitable fate.

Catch the Tim Russert interview today with the Newsweek and Time Magazine editors. Though they still don't have it right with the info you can get here, they nonetheless credit the Swifties with undoing Kerry and give fairly objective analyses about how Kerry appears to be heading for the trashbin. I may be overstating that, so go see for yourself. I was amazed to hear this kind of stuf from MSM.

Never have so few (254 Swifties) done so much for so many (310,000,000 Americans) to effect the outcome of a presidential election. This is democracy at its best!

Larry
cjg
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is very good news, Larry

Think about it, it is only a few short weeks ago the first ad came out
and now the facts are coming out, if the facts are not always correct,
the fact is the people are getting the message loud and clear.

You are right, democracy in action!
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjg wrote:
...and now the facts are coming out, if the facts are not always correct,
the fact is the people are getting the message loud and clear.

Huh?
d19thdoc
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This all seems to be good news, when last February and March I despaired of anyone ever paying attention to the facts of Kerry's past.

However, beware of a subtle convergence in MSM tone about all this. "The fog of war" routine started when? And isn't Hanson's article merely a very high-toned version of the same message: "We'll never really know the truth, because we never can know it." Thus the seductive invitation to disregard any and all further information on this matter is very subtlely etched onto the public mind. With each new "witness" for either side, and with the ever growing tidal wave of scrutinized detail (even winos in alleys are talking about the criteria for the Purple Heart), attention fatigue is being created. They are setting the stage to sweep all of this under the rug. It almost does not matter now whether the latest news supports or contradicts Kerry - as long as there is more of it.

Notice already this "attention glut effect" on the anti-war activities. There is nowhere near the exposure given to this - the most damaging and much better documented Kerry material - as there was to the medals charges.

We are dealing with very clever people whose expertise is in propaganda - and the uses of misinformation to mold (or fold) public opinion.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

d19thdoc wrote:
And isn't Hanson's article merely a very high-toned version of the same message: "We'll never really know the truth, because we never can know it."

With each new "witness" for either side, and with the ever growing tidal wave of scrutinized detail...attention fatigue is being created.

d19th...very astute...and I think spot on.

Kudos
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: