SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The WWII memorial was dedicated today

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stop kerry
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 12:52 am    Post subject: The WWII memorial was dedicated today Reply with quote

All Kerry could do today was his usual 'Bash Bush' ad. He just could not save a day for the WWII vets. Here is a fact no one on the news seemed to mention:

The turning point for the memorial's completion came three years ago, when Bush signed legislation nullifying a court challenge and a federal commission's plan for still more public hearings to follow the 20 already held. Surprised

If the commision continued the Vets. would probably all be dead before they could decide. Kinda sounds like Kerry -can't make a decision. Smile
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a beautiful dedication - and I'm so glad that these vets were recognized before they're all gone.

They were the greatest generation!
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highlight for me was watching the faces of those great Americans as the U.S. Navy Band played a medley of the Richard Rodgers score for "Victory At Sea". Just hearing that music catapaults me back to my early 50's youth, when the "Greatest Generation" was getting on with the business of building this great country after the trauma and personal sacrifices of freeing half the globe from the would-be tyrants and despots.

"We have gone forth from our shores repeatedly over the last hundred years and we’ve done this as recently as the last year in Afghanistan and put wonderful young men and women at risk, many of whom have lost their lives, and we have asked for nothing except enough ground to bury them in..." Colin Powell

May God Bless and Keep Our Servicemen and Women, Past, Present, and Future
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the U.S. Navy Band played a medley of the Richard Rodgers score for "Victory At Sea". Just hearing that music catapaults me back to my early 50's youth

Me too. I grew up watching that program and listening to the music. In fact, I have 2 CDs of music used in the programs and listen to them from time to time.

I must be getting old if I like being reminded of my youth Laughing

As for Kerry's comments about Bush "shredding" the good will of allies the memorial symbolized and he wants to rebuild it, he was totally out of line today. The dedication was no place for electioneering.
navy-ex
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep waiting for the "Victory at Sea" series to return to TV.

For those who may not be aware, there is a web site for the WWII Memorial. Towards the bottom of the home page is a link to a Registry of Vets that have been included in the Registry. It appears that many are not registered. If you know of someone that should be there but is not, please take a few minutes to included them. Its free. All registrations are reviewed prior to being posted. The site is:

http://www.WWIImemorial.com/
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

navy-ex wrote:
For those who may not be aware, there is a web site for the WWII Memorial. Towards the bottom of the home page is a link to a Registry of Vets that have been included in the Registry. It appears that many are not registered. If you know of someone that should be there but is not, please take a few minutes to included them. Its free. All registrations are reviewed prior to being posted. The site is:

http://www.WWIImemorial.com/

Thanks for the link navy-ex. Being distributed to family/friends and I know of 3 names personally that are bound for that honored list.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: