SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Did Kerry change the way he talks?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reconflyer
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 4:38 am    Post subject: Did Kerry change the way he talks? Reply with quote

First, let me say I would never vote for Kerry because I don't agree with his politics.

Still, being a military guy for eighteen years now, I was interested in what Kerry said after he returned from the war. I knew he tossed some ribbons and I knew he was a VVAW cat, but I wanted to see where he was coming from so I searched here and found the streaming link from C-Span of the Dick Cavett debate featuring Mr. Oneil and Mr. Kerry.

Seems to me that Kerry came off as an Ivy league Blue Blood complete with yankee brogue... to the extreme. It almost sounded like he had a British accent. I suggest he doesn't sound like that anymore, apart from the self-serving and constant yammering.

I can only imagine what it would have been like to have this person as a commanding officer on a vehicle like a swiftboat. I am an enlisted aircrew member in the Air Force and fate has dealt me aircraft commanders similar in style to this guy on a couple of occasions. For the most part I have been lucky, and I've had aircraft commanders who I felt were fully competent and fully invested in the mission. From what I've read about Kerry, serving under him would have sucked fully... We ask a lot out of our young officers that fly aircraft and command vessels. Fortunately, most Air Force aircraft commanders are willing to accept input from the enlisted aircrew members, many of us have multiple thousands of hours of flight time... I'm sure Kerry didn't want to hear anything from his crew in the area of inputs into mission accomplishment... Of course times are different now and the enlisted men are doing things that officers did in that era. I wouldn't be surprised now if a vessel like a swiftboat would be an all enlisted crew now, with a senior NCO in command.

Nonetheless, Kerry strikes me as that nightmare commander, the one that would get your arse all up in a sling for his indecision and false bravura... Damn that must have sucked sailing with that cat.

A salute to all the poor enlisted cats that had to go into combat with Kerry, I'm sure you must've been quite frustrated? Does anyone know of any stories about that?

I know this post got off the subject of the way he talks, but I guess that is how my mind works...

Mark
Chuck Z Ombie AC2000
LCDR

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im pretty sure he used that tone to sound more self important and credible. Probably he tried that later when he ran for office and the people of MA told him to take a hike. I wouldnt be surprised if he dropped the phoney accent after that.
twinkleUSA
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes... he had a bit of what I call the "Thurston Howell" (from Gilligan's Island tv show for those who've never watched tv...lol) accent back in the day. I wonder how many speech therapists it took to remove that pompous sneer from his voice. Laughing
reconflyer
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 4:50 am    Post subject: Thurston Howell Reply with quote

Dang, now that you mention it, that was almost exactly what he sounded like.

Listening to his insufferable drivel is tantamount to a swirling torment of pain...

I do have the most selfish reason for hoping that he never becomes our president...

I plan to retire from active duty in two years, and I can't stomach the idea of that sack-of-potatoes signing my retirement orders, oh hell no!

Fortunately I think you can request a former POTUS signature, for example, lots of my buddies that were retiring during Clinton were getting Bush 41 to sign their paperwork.

Mark
Indianbaboon
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry definitely cultured that accent, it has been a fixture of his elitist marxism (which is an inherent contradiction), and of his "richer than thou" attitude. His early campaign speeches had that same sort of aloof elitist accent, but I noticed he dropped it for his midnight rant.
7rrfs
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen close to his speeches and watch him in public now. He is advised that one of Bush's strengths is that he is a guy youd go out and have a beer with. Kerry is someone who would ask for wine.

Look for Kerry to attempt to be more 'Joe 6 pack' friendly.

He wont pull it off.
J. Toy
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real JFK also pronounced last as laast, and past as paast.

This JF'nK is nothing more than a tired old horse faced John F. Kennedy wannabe fraud.

And what about the uniform during the senate hearings of '71? Fatigues in public? (not allowed) With ribbons? (no way).

Nothing but a staged performance for the clueless "public servants" in the senate, and the public, which was choreographed by the anti-war wing in the senate.
PC
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:42 am    Post subject: Accent Reply with quote

The libs think that accent is cultured and reflects intelligence and a sensitive side.

They hate Bush because he's a twanger with a Harvard MBA and an undergrad degree from Yale.

Sort of like they've been betrayed.
Thinker
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Thurston Howell Reply with quote

reconflyer wrote:
Dang, now that you mention it, that was almost exactly what he sounded like.

Listening to his insufferable drivel is tantamount to a swirling torment of pain...

Mark

WOW now that is a line that I cannot top. Fantastic!
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Kerry's mellowing of accent is nothing more than 34 years of television, where everyone in the country is slowly losing their regional dialects and accents. Kerry sounded like Kennedy before because that's how people from Massachusets sounded. People 35 years ago all had heavy regional accents (New England, Southern, Midwest, etc.) now they all sound somewhat the same. We can thank the media and years in front of the tube for this loss of regional uniqueness.
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck Z Ombie AC2000 wrote:
Im pretty sure he used that tone to sound more self important and credible. Probably he tried that later when he ran for office and the people of MA told him to take a hike. I wouldnt be surprised if he dropped the phoney accent after that.

He was trying to sound like John F. Kennedy.

-- FDL
USWORHOCKEY
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RECONFLYER, very articulate wording!!!
Kathy Kay
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuffaloJack wrote:
I think Kerry's mellowing of accent is nothing more than 34 years of television, where everyone in the country is slowly losing their regional dialects and accents. Kerry sounded like Kennedy before because that's how people from Massachusets sounded. People 35 years ago all had heavy regional accents (New England, Southern, Midwest, etc.) now they all sound somewhat the same. We can thank the media and years in front of the tube for this loss of regional uniqueness.

Brit Hume recently made a comment about Kerry's accent in the Congressional testimony speech, something to the effect of "using an accent that he didn't have when we were kids and one that he doesn't have now." Isn't that interesting?

I think it was a pretentious affect -- and I will forever refer to it as the "Thurston Howard III" approach.
rb325th
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry quite possibly has lost his accent or lessened the degree of it by his absence from this region. I lost mine after spending 12 years in the Army away from Massachusetts, and JFnKerry sure has not spent much time around here since he became a Senator. (Always got hammered initially for the accent when I first went into the Army)
I do agree his Accent in the Senate Testimony and on Cavett was over the top and seemed a bit put on.(Hope I never really sounded like that Rolling Eyes )
We pahk the caahh in the Haahvahd yahd. We do not believe in the letter R it seems up heaah.
Nomorelies
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry is a product of European boarding schools. He was and is an "internationalist" and his educational foundation is geo-politically liberal. He has called himself an internationalist. The fact that his continental accent has subdued over 33 years is because he has started to learn to speak American English. What we should all fear is that Kerry is like milk-fed veal. Suckled and nutured in the darkness of privilege at cloistered institutions with little or no relevance to the real world or even to the society in which we live. Weak and pale-blooded.

Last edited by Nomorelies on Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: