SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Did You Ever - Thank you

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Thanks Swiftees and POWs!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LuvmyMarineDad
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Did You Ever - Thank you Reply with quote

This section is for support to the veterans and I hope my message will be.
I am not able to help the cause with a donation of money but maybe these words will help some. As a daughter of a WWII Marine I learned to love my country. The first poem was published in editorial sections of newspapers and in the chaplain section of a 1989 Army newsletter and 1990 one shortly after the decision to allow burning of the flag.

DID YOU EVER
Did you ever see it waving and not look up with pride?
Did you ever see it draped across a box with a loved one inside?
Did you ever see the children carefully lower and fold it up?
Did you ever listen to them tell you the rules to respect it by?
Did you ever see the pictures of it going up at Iwo Jima?
Did you ever sing of the stars and stripes without a tear in your eye?
And then . . .
Did you ever hear someone had burned it and not feel a burning inside?
Did you ever hear someone had cursed it and not feel a need to cry?
Did you ever hear that someone ruled it is legal and not wonder who's behind it?
DID YOU EVER KNOW THE FLAG?

This second one was written after the Republican Convention

Do you remember the towers, tall, reaching high into the sky?
Do you remember the plane crashing and wondering why?
Do you remember as the second plane came and you knew. .?
Do you remember the feeling as the buildings fell and you realized your land had been attacked?
Do you remember the smoke billowing and people running through the darkness and rubble?
Do you remember families searching for loved ones, as firefighters, policemen and volunteers worked through the night?
Do you remember the nation standing together expressing "God Bless America" at every turn?
And now . . .
Can you believe some make light of those who worked at that horrid war scene by not calling it an attack?
Can you believe they say the leaders didn't do enough or acted too harshly?
Can you believe you don't live in fear every day or hide waiting for terrorists to strike again?
Can you believe due to faith in God, action of the military and strength of leaders you sleep peacefully?
But then . .
YOU ARE AN AMERICAN!!

Thank you each and every American and Vet. Should some of these lines help in your efforts I only ask that you give credit to the man that made me so love my country. My Marine Dad, Wm Louis Outlaw

Victoria Outlaw Proctor
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victoria, thank you. Support comes in many ways besides money. Not all can afford to contribute and words of support are welcomed. From the sounds of it, your Dad did a great job raising you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Thanks Swiftees and POWs! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: