SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Borders Hiding Unfit for Command

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> "Unfit For Command"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vet_supporter
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject: Borders Hiding Unfit for Command Reply with quote

From Little Green Footballs:

http://www.littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/weblog.php

Quote:
Borders Employees Hiding "Unfit for Command"

This will blow your mind, as employees of Borders bookstores openly discuss hiding, damaging, returning, and otherwise making unavailable copies of Unfit For Command, and mock customers who ask to buy it. (Hat tip: Yehudit.)

I’ve made a copy of this discussion, because I fully expect it to disappear soon.

You guys don’t actually HAVE to sell the thing!

Just “carelessly” hide the boxes, “accidentally” drop them off pallets, “forget” to stock the ones you have, and then suggest a nice Al Franken or Micheal Moore book as a substitute. Borders wants those recommends, remember?

I don’t care if these Neandertals in fancy suits get mad at me, they aren’t regular customers anyway. Other than “Left Behind” books, they don’t read. Anything you can do to make them feel unwelcome is only fair. They are the people pushing retailers to cut costs, don’t forget. And they would censor your speech, your books, your music in a heartbeat, so give them a taste of it!

Don’t get mad, get even!
sevry
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Borders Hiding Unfit for Command Reply with quote

vet_supporter wrote:
From Little Green Footballs:

[i] You guys don’t actually HAVE to sell the thing!

Just “carelessly” hide the boxes, “accidentally” drop them off pallets, “forget” to stock the ones you have, and then suggest a nice Al Franken or Micheal Moore book as a substitute. Borders wants those recommends, remember?

I saw this, too. It's the same complaint with certain B & N, as well. There's an upside. If they had the books, Costco would and has stocked. Walmart, and so on. The 'channel' is there. A return that I saw was quickly snatched up, at Costco. But Regenery hasn't gotten the books to them. They should just bypass Borders and B & N, or else send them a nasty note. Despite the factual errors in the book, such as surrounding the 13 MAR incident, the Rassman incident, there is so much in the book that has not even been covered. And I know, from personal experience, that people on the fence find this book persuasive against Kerry.
CandiM
LCDR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm printing that thread out and sending it to Borders Corporate to explain why my considerable monthly book budget will in the future be spent ANYWHERE ELSE--

That's outrageous.......and frankly, infuriating--C
CandiM
LCDR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also e-mailing it to all of my illiterate, "mentally unbalanced" friends--C
noc
PO1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I walked into my local Borders and they still do not have Unfit for Command. I went up to the information desk and asked why they don't have it in stock yet.

This isn't my first time asking. In early September they said they couldn't get it from the distributor and there have been hundreds of requests.

Now they say that they are only taking special orders. I thought they had hundreds of requests. What is going on?

Frustrated I went across the freeway to the Barnes and Nobel. Same story.

Both places had large displays of Kitty Kellie's new book and more anti-bush books then you could shake at stick at.

I swear I am about ready to set up at stand in front of these book stores and sell the book myself.

Any suggestions?
sevry
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noc wrote:

Any suggestions?

COSTCO! and Walmart, and similar.

There's a FR thread where someone said they had good service at the old Waldenbooks. But it's tough to find them around, anymore. Maybe if people stop frequenting the B & N and Borders, the other chains might revive?
DaveL
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sevry wrote:
noc wrote:

Any suggestions?

COSTCO! and Walmart, and similar.

There's a FR thread where someone said they had good service at the old Waldenbooks. But it's tough to find them around, anymore. Maybe if people stop frequenting the B & N and Borders, the other chains might revive?

none available at my local walmart, nor is there a place on the shelf for this NYT Bestseller!?
poljunkie
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave up waiting on B&N. Ordered it on Amazon and got it right away.
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Sam's Club just got a huge shipment in.
noc
PO1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have purchased five copies of the book online and got all five.

I know how to get it. The point is that many people do not use the internet to buy books. These places are packed with people every day. Both have big stores with coffee bars.

The real story here is why are stores intentionally not stocking the book when they have hundreds of people asking about it.

I'm aware that some of you are in red states and don't have this problem. Here in northern California it is a big problem.
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noc said:
"The real story here is why are stores intentionally not stocking the book when they have hundreds of people asking about it".

I need a second job. I suppose becoming a "book runner" would be too dangerous for me?
sevry
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

msindependent wrote:

I need a second job. I suppose becoming a "book runner"

Or just run to other stores, maybe. Competition, Free enterprise. Borders and B & N weren't always around, or always so conspicuous.

I don't know if the problem is complacent management or a too politicized workforce of erstwhile writers and campaign consultants. Or maybe one can read too much between the lines. At any rate, I think I, personally, will tend to avoid either chain for other alternatives, and will likely prefer to make actual purchases on the web, but not from their websites.
wally626
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went into the local Books a Million in Hampton VA and they had quite a few in the front display racks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> "Unfit For Command" All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: