SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kerry's medal "process" OK'd by US Navy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmackto
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible they can't look too closely at all of this because if they do Kerry couldn't remain on the ballot and if he were removed at this point the world would question our process?

This is no time for ease and comfort. It is the time to dare and endure.
- Winston Churchill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
MsSpiffy
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I am a supporter, I did want the truth to come out. This is will make people wonder about the truth of the allegations I would think.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undoubtedly, the Kerry campaign will try to capitalize on the news. Keep in mind, however, that this entire scenario was unrelated to any SBVT initiative.
cipher
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By capitalizing on the news, they bring it BACK into the eye of the public.

Geeze, the more I think about it, the more it seems that there is a certain elegance to the way this is playing out.
Defense contractor for US Navy, SSPO, SP-20, SP-24, OP-12 84-92
BC
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the Navy is saying is that he received them the correct way, the question the Swift Vets made is whether he deserved to receive them, which I think they have answered. And the answer is no he did not.
JK
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:23 am    Post subject: Kerry's medals??? Reply with quote

IG report should become available on the Navy web site. The focus on the report is the Navy followed procedures a very narrow review scope and having limited importance. So Kerry writes his award gives it to the next level of command and that level sends it to the next level, etc. Report is a white wash!! The IG should have reviewed the award from its inception by determining who wrote the award, whether the facts were accurate and complete, interview other witnesses like the SBVT!!!!!.

You can only loose respect for this IG who must have received orders from the DNC. It is obvious this was a Quick Cursory Review with little substance.

I recommend that the General Accounting Office REVIEW this report along with Judicial Watch...however the damage is now done with the public assuming that the SBVT were never telling the truth. Kerry always seems to find a way to protect his ass...unfortunately...

JK
ArmybratNavywife
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So now what? You know how the other side is....They don't want to know the truth so as far as they're concerned this exonerates their man. I understand not wanting to bite the hand that might feed them...but come on.
sevry
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BC wrote:
All the Navy is saying is that he received them the correct way, the question the Swift Vets made is whether he deserved to receive them,

Triply so for his SS with combat "V".

These are heady days, I guess, for the Navy. They've discovered a new medal. Tell your grandkids - you remember the day.

I mean - if you can't trust the Navy's chief investigator to behave honorably . . . But people will think I'm cynical. Maybe I am.
sevry
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Kerry's medals??? Reply with quote

JK wrote:
IG report should become available on the Navy web site.

They saw what happened to Dan Rather. You really think they'll dare?
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently Judicial Watch may respond....

Quote:
Navy Halts Kerry Medal Probe
with Carl Limbacher and NewsMax.com Staff
Friday, Sept. 17, 2004 10:07 p.m. EDT

The Navy's chief investigator has halted a formal investigation into questions about Sen. John Kerry's Vietnam combat decorations without answering key questions about the circumstances of those awards.

"Our examination found that existing documentation regarding the Silver Star, Bronze Star and Purple Heart medals indicates the awards approval process was properly followed," Navy inspector general, Vice Adm. R.A. Route said in a memo to Navy Secretary Gordon England.

"In particular, the senior officers who awarded the medals were properly delegated authority to do so. In addition, we found that they correctly followed the procedures in place at the time for approving these awards."
But according to Judicial Watch, the legal watchdog group that requested the Kerry medals probe in August, Route's decision to pull the plug amounts to "a whitewash." (emphasis mine)

Among the concerns not addressed by Route's preliminary probe:

* The authenticity of the signature of former Navy Secretary John Lehman as it appears on Kerry's Silver Star citation. Lehman says he never signed the document and questioned its language.

* The "Silver Star with Combat V" notation appearing on Kerry DD214 form. A Navy official called the "Combat V" award "incorrect" last month before Route began his probe, saying that such an award has never been issued in Navy history.

* A 1971 trip by Kerry to Paris where Kerry met with senior North Vietnamese representatives to discuss a peace deal without U.S. approval. Kerry was a member of the Navy Reserve at the time.

* An account by a Navy doctor who treated Kerry for his first Purple Heart wound, who said it was so minor that he gave Kerry a band aid and sent him on his way.

"The Navy IG obviously is afraid of the political ramifications of a thorough investigation into a presidential candidate’s service record," Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton said, adding that he may appeal the decision.

Newsmax.com
bergstrom79
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited my comments, I'd pasted them from a post earlier....very disappointed. Kerry will use this as some form of "official" cleansing action to the less educated....I hope the next round of ads does the trick, we need the momentum back.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040917/ap_on_el_pr/kerry_navy_awards

Fri Sep 17, 7:13 PM ET

By ROBERT BURNS, AP Military Writer

WASHINGTON - The Navy's chief investigator concluded Friday that procedures were followed properly in the approval of Sen. John Kerry (news - web sites)'s Silver Star, Bronze Star and Purple Heart medals, according to an internal Navy memo.

Vice Adm. R.A. Route, the Navy inspector general, conducted the review of Kerry's Vietnam-ear military service awards at the request of Judicial Watch, a public interest group. The group has also asked for the release of additional records documenting the Democratic presidential candidate's military service.

Judicial Watch had requested in August that the Navy open an investigation of the matter, but Route said in an internal memo obtained by The Associated Press that he saw no reason for a full-scale probe.

"Our examination found that existing documentation regarding the Silver Star, Bronze Star and Purple Heart medals indicates the awards approval process was properly followed," Route wrote in the memo sent Friday to Navy Secretary Gordon England.

"In particular, the senior officers who awarded the medals were properly delegated authority to do so. In addition, we found that they correctly followed the procedures in place at the time for approving these awards."

Some veterans have challenged Kerry's version of the circumstances surrounding the incident that led to his Silver Star award for battlefield heroism, as well as his three Purple Heart medals.

The Silver Star was awarded for his actions in pursuit of enemy forces while commander of swift boat unit PCF-94 in Vietnam in February 1969.

Judicial Watch also asked the Navy inspector general to investigate Kerry's anti-war activities after he returned from Vietnam and left active duty.

Route concluded that there was no justification for looking further into the decisions to award the medals or the anti-war activities.

"Conducting any additional review regarding events that took place over 30 years ago would not be productive," he wrote. "The passage of time would make reconstruction of the facts and circumstances unreliable, and would not allow the information gathered to be considered in the context of the time in which the events took place.

"Our review also considered the fact that Senator Kerry's post-active duty activities were public and that military and civilian officials were aware of his actions at the time. For these reasons, I have determined that Senator Kerry's awards were properly approved and will take no further action in this matter."
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although this will twisted by Kerry, it contains some good news. The chain of command was not in colusion with Kerry in obtaining the medals.

PH1 is where I'd hammer the Navy as we know there can be no documentation signed my a medical officer or witness. NO CAAR, No Casualty report.

As to the rest of the medals this just says they were awarded in accordance with procedure but it doesn't address the changed citations which is also very important.

Last edited by ASPB on Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:45 am; edited 1 time in total
IFF Beacon
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....NavSec Lehman should challenge the SS 'V' citation that bears his illegitimate signature. It's his honor/reputation that has been abused. He should be made aware and asked to help correct the fraudulent award.
Beldar
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The substance of the memo was also in a letter sent by the Naval IG to Judicial Watch and is on its website.

I think that Judicial Watch is being stupid in referring to this decision as a "whitewash," even if they plan to appeal, and even if there are part of the memo/letter that are less than satisfactory. The Judicial Watch complaint was a long-shot at best from the outset. Overreacting to this decision will only feed into the Kerry campaign's spin.

A legitimate point to be made, however, is that the Navy Department on Thursday confirmed that it has 31 pages of records regarding Kerry that it could not release in response to Judicial Watch's FOIA request. That's a GOOD thing to stress in trying to keep the heat on Kerry to sign Standard Form 180. Stress the CONTINUING COVER-UP, not the Navy Department decision, folks.

I've blogged with my take on all this here, with links: http://www.beldar.org/beldarblog/2004/09/judicial_watch__1.html ... as always, I'd be grateful for feedback from the readers of these forums via email or comments on my blog.
RiflemanDD730
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:30 am    Post subject: Kerry's medal "process" OK'd by US Navy Reply with quote

Obviously it was a process investigation. Key quotes,

“procedures were followed properly”

“the awards approval process was properly followed”

“they correctly followed the procedures”

However, another statement that "awards were properly approved" seems to imply that the documentation for the awards was also correct. This is important in the first Purple Heart award. Is the Navy saying that the after action report exists that justifies the award? Or are they saying that no after action report is necessary for the award.

I've always felt that the first PH award is the one medal that might be shown to be illegitimate. Either the docs exist or they don't. Either they are required or not. Nail down these facts and you've got the answer.

In my opinion there should be intense focus on the 1st PH to get the answers to the questions. It is already in the public eye with the challenge from the doctor in the first SBVT ad. There is a public statement that Kerry requested the award and was turned down. This is where documents or lack thereof can make the case. There is too much ambiguity surrounding the other medals to get as clear an answer in the time available.

A possible scenario that makes sense to me goes like this. Kerry is stung by the refusal for the award after 2 Dec. When Zumwalt tells him in Saigon in early March that he'll get the Silver Star Kerry suggests including the 2 Dec PH but there is some hang up with the paperwork. Zumwalt takes care of that little detail by awarding the PH with paperwork to follow. It never does. Who could know? Zumwalt who is trying to build morale by awarding medals. Who is going to bug him about a little paperwork detail?

Is the Navy today going to officially uncover the fact that Zumwalt was a little too slipshod in the award process? I doubt it. It will open the whole "medal inflation" can of worms which is at the bottom of all this. Kerry exploited Zumwalt's morale building efforts, but those efforts can turn out to embarrass the Navy today.

The best chance to gain momentum on the medal issue is to focus on the 1st PH. Hit hard on the lack of documentation. Call for Kerry to release his records but DEMAND the release of the AAR for 2Dec. If no documentation is ever found, that medal will have a cloud over it that might create legitimate doubt in the public perception of Kerry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: