SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bay Hap questions?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mary
Former Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 4:14 pm    Post subject: Bay Hap questions? Reply with quote

These questions have been moved by admin for me into a new thread from my previous "Questions" thread because my previous posts were too lengthy and buried the questions.

1. Are the three bullet holes in the NY Times chart's attempt (at this link) to refute Van Odell mistakenly referring to holes in a different boat when they mean Kerry's own boat and holes from the day before? Where does one find this damage report the Times refers to?

2. Are the situations where the other officers in the chart explained themselves situations where they explained in tv programs where they are quoted in transcripts I saw in this website? I don't think I read full explanations from these officers in O'Neill's book although he mentioned that they'd told him they disagreed with their earlier comments but didn't quote them.

I imagine I might have other questions when I have more time to go over my notes from the book and also when I've found the questions presented by any articles that attempt to refute O'Neill.

Last edited by Mary on Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:44 pm; edited 6 times in total
Mary
Former Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, this thread is moved here by admin for me to separate out my questions. Thanks.

I found a FAIR (media watchdog group) article at this link just now and it points out again that stuff on Letson. I think the idea of it being SOP for a separate person to sign the report really needs to be authoritatively shown by O'Neill citing an authoritative source -- it's a weakness a lot of people are exploiting and makes it hard for people to believe Letson, when he should supposedly be a strong point.
stylin19
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have better luck getting answers to your questions by searching THIS site.

It's a smaller site with a heck of a lot of documented research being done.
Mary
Former Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If people know the answers, they can reply. I'm not doing a research project -- I'm answering friends who point to articles and tell me the book and this site are not credible for them to take as source material because I had simply mentioned I'd read the book and was concerned about some things I read in the first half of it. I have already been looking at this site and the section listing transcripts was one I found helpful, but now I'm reading some criticisms of the book (and the tv advertisements) I've been pointed to and trying to answer my friends and the questions I see raised by articles. Yes, I am going to be doing searches, thanks.

The admin told me to post the questions here in a separated format and that people who know may answer. I'm already aware of the fact I can do a search and I'll try but some may already know the answers, and those who do may reply.

Last edited by Mary on Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it's a weakness a lot of people are exploiting and makes it hard for people to believe Letson, when he should supposedly be a strong point

Mary, since you perused the Transcripts thread you may have already noted a couple Letson interviews.

http://www2.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=16696
and--
Kevin McCullough Radio Talk Show Letson -audio
http://media.salemwebnetwork.com/WEBLOG/kmc/KerrysPurpleHeartDoc.wma
copy/past url into player worked best for me

Here's a couple discussions on this forum re Letson that may be helpful
http://www2.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=18018
http://www2.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=15694
Mary
Former Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I did read that transcript and previously listened to that radio account, thanks.

The pertinent part of the transcript quoting Letson says:

Quote:
“I am the doctor [who treated Kerry],” he said.

“Let me explain that. My critics are pointing to the [signature on the medical record], J.C. Carreon. If they look it carefully a scribble after the words, saying, “HM1.” HM1 is a hospital man first class. Jesus C. Carreon was one of my medics at that naval base. He was a top-notch fella. Real prince of a fella.”

“Unfortunately, my friend Carreon died about 1992. He’s not around to back this up,” he said.

“Kerry might have thought my name was J.C. Carreon. I was the only medical officer at that base. September 68 to Sept. 1969. I can verify that with commanding officer.”

This doesn't really explain why Carreon signed it instead of Letson, and I don't follow why he says Kerry would think he was Carreon. I think it would be good in the future if O'Neill were able to authoritatively cite how it was standard operating procedure for the HM1 to sign something instead of the doctor (as he has lots of good citing in his book) because it makes it look like the HM1 was the one who observed Kerry rather than Letson and causes people to think Letson is just working for a political campaign.

The missing bit of info for someone defending the book or the advertisement is how to show that HM1's aren't the ones who examine the patient (if that is the fact) and how to show that Letson had to have been the one who examined him, or if that's not possible because HM1's sometimes did examine patients, then that needs to be said as well.

It might even be a good thing for there to be a section of a website devoted to authoritatively, soberly and thoroughly answering point by point (possibly with help from O'Neill) the accusations of inaccuracy made by articles such as in the NY Times and FAIR, using source citations and direct quotes, and make these rebuttals easy for journalists (and citizens seeking to make up their minds about what they've read debunking the book) to find by pointing them to a resource section on the front page of a site.

Anyway, thanks for the info.
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The missing bit of info for someone defending the book or the advertisement is how to show that HM1's aren't the ones who examine the patient (if that is the fact) and how to show that Letson had to have been the one who examined him, or if that's not possible because HM1's sometimes did examine patients, then that needs to be said as well.

Mary, in one of those threads I listed, there is some discussion about that
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This doesn't really explain why Carreon signed it instead of Letson

Mary, if the Navy operated like the Army did, which I assume they did, most signatures on medical records would be by the medics, not the doctors. Letson was the only medical officer there at the time and he would have been busy treating men. Signing a form would be delegated to a medic to expedite matters.

A problem you may be running into is that many people critical of the SBVT aren't versed in how the military operates. Officers often delegated matters down to enlisted men. For example, I was a helicopter tech in the Army. Often, in Vietnam, Germany later on and even back at Ft. Bragg, pilots I flew with gave me the controls while they either rested or paid attention to other matters. I wasn't a pilot, but learned to fly a little.

You need to understand that the military operates entirely different than a lot of organizations you may be used to.
Mary
Former Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To kate, I did read all the discussions you pointed me to before posting a reply, thanks.

To Lew, I tend to believe this is true that the hospital aide was just signing in behalf of the doctor (as has been mentioned a number of places) but I'm just saying that it's a point that an experienced debater like O'Neill could have foreseen would be challenged and handled by citing official sources who explain that this is standard in the Navy or who explained that only the M.D. could have been the one who actually saw a patient like him in that situation, if that is true (although maybe HM1's can see patients). The problem is that the people writing the articles are thinking that the HM1 could have been the one examining him and don't see any reason to think Letson did.

thanks for having replied.
Mary
Former Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Bo Hap questions? Reply with quote

I wrote:

Quote:

2. Are the situations where the other officers in the chart explained themselves situations where they explained in tv programs where they are quoted in transcripts I saw in this website? I don't think I read full explanations from these officers in O'Neill's book although he mentioned that they'd told him they disagreed with their earlier comments but didn't quote them.

I found online a minute ago at this link that says Elliott contradicted himself recently and took back part of what he said. He now doesn't think he should have challenged the Silver Star incident with regard to him chasing down a single fleeing Viet Cong. But I think he still questions the Bronze Star incident. In fact info at another link, shown here, really confuses me on this and implies that Elliott may have changed his statement yet again as though maybe he still believes there is also a question about the Silver Star.

I guess there's so much info out there that it's hard to take all this in. It seems to me there is a lot of dispute about whether Kerry was really as manipulative of the system as charged and that a number of his crew and others don't see him as deserving all this scrutiny of his medals; I believe I read at this link the following:

Quote:
Self-inflicted wounds were awarded if incurred "in the heat of battle, and not involving gross negligence." Kerry's critics insist his wound would not have qualified, but former Navy officials who worked in the service's awards branch at the time said such awards were routine.

A Times review of Navy injury reports and awards from that period in Kerry's Swift boat unit shows that many other Swift boat personnel won Purple Hearts for slight wounds of uncertain origin.

In the end, it's going to be hard for many pro-Kerry voters to really find this issue to be persuasive enough to change their minds about his veracity because you'd have to start challenging every veteran's medals and it starts to get silly to people after a while. I did find O'Neill's book interesting though and I'll keep reading about it to learn more as I have time. I was originally concerned about the idea that he might have been regularly making up reports and didn't think that's what I wanted to see as a person overseeing wrapup of the Iraq War in the future since there's been enough fudging on facts by the people already in power, and I had wished the info had come out in time for a different Democrat to have won the primaries. At this point the whole subject is becoming hard to follow.

Last edited by Mary on Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary, O'Neill is the spokeman for the Swift vets. Several of the replies you are receiving are from Vietnam vets of differing times and differing services. We are united in that, because of what things Kerry did, he is unfit for command.

I see a lot of spin in the media and on several blogs by people who basically, don't know what they are talking about. Not everyone is going to believe them or us, that's just life. Neither you nor I can make people agree with us, obviously. All we can do is inform of them what we see and why we feel the way we do. Still, it won't matter to some and I just end up agreeing to disagree.

For me, I tend to mistrust most anything coming from especially the New York Times anymore. Like Dan Rather, they have been shown to be unreliable too many times now. Many implicitly trust anything they say. Go figure.

One thing to note, since the Swift vet ads started, who has maintained the same story and who has changed theirs several times? Regardless of discrediting articles writen, the SBVT has maintained a steady course. Kerry, on the other hand, has changed his story several times, most notably, Christmas in Cambodia and his first PH. Even his claim of "volunteering" for Vietnam duty falls apart by his own words, as he supplied to the 1986 book, "The Vietnam Experience-A War Remembered," 1986 Boston Publishing.

At the DNC Convgention, he stood and claimed that when his country called, he said, "send me." But, in 1986, he said;

Quote:
"The first trip to Vietnam did give me a heightened curiosity by virtue of having been so near and having been part of of the support operation.

But volunteering for the Swift boats had nothing to do with my curiosity
about the war. They attracted me because it was the one thing you could
do as a junior officer and have your own command. In fact, when I
signed up for the Swift boats they had very little to do with the war. They
were engaged in coastal patrolling and that's what I thought I was going
to be doing. Although I wanted to go back and see for myself what was
going on, I didn't really want to get involved on the war
."

O'Neills claims, however, have remained the same since the debate on Dick Cavett back in 1971.

The media has tried to discredit O'Neill in many ways, including claiming he donated some $14,000 to Republicans over a 15 year period. They fail to mention, however, that he donated some $25,000 to the Democrats during that same time period, as he commented on Hannity & Colmes a few weeks ago.

The media calls the SBVT a Republican Front organization because Bob Perry, a Houston Texas businessman and Republican, donated some $150,000 to help them get started. Yet, they remain silent that wealthy people such as George Soros have donated several millions of dollars to Democrat groups such as Moveon.org and others who have actively been slamming the President for well over a year now.

This is how they have come to claim they have discredited and proven the claims in Unfit for Command as untrue. Yet, they have not hardly addressed a single charge, just thrown up smoke and mirrors.

I say all this because you will never be able to convince those who want to believe otherwise that what the SBVT claim is true. We are all responsible for our own choices in voting and all through life. Some, I'm afraid, want to see the President as an evil man man no matter what and will trash anyone that says otherwise.
Mary
Former Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thanks, I am aware of some of the comments you have brought up about people trying to discredit O'Neill but I have already told friends about the fact that he himself is not a Republican (is an independent who's voted for Perot, Gore, and others of both parties) and that he gave more to Democrats than Republicans. But his lawfirm is shown in the NY Times chart here to have had connections to the Bush campaign, so that was brought up to me recently.

I'm aware of what Kerry's said about Christmas in Cambodia, as O'Neill explained that in detail in the book, and I did notice that this was not evidence of a truthful candidate (though there are problems with Bush's truthfulness about some issues too so I am left wishing, too late, for a different Democrat running). I also understand what Kerry said about not really knowing he was going to be serving in a danger zone when he first went to Vietnam, but that isn't really very important.

Regardless of the idea some have that NY Times is biased, I still wish to address any investigations and claims they and other media such as the Boston Globe, La Times, FAIR and others make head-on. Every source can be accused of having an agenda, but rather than shoot the messenger, I just want to address the statements made by critics of the book and refute them if they are refutable; the truth is what is important, not my opinion of a bias in a publication. I agree that it's not likely I will sway anyone with information I might get refuting a criticism of the book, but since swaying people about how Kerry has presented his military career was O'Neill's goal, we may as well assume it's a worthwhile goal and let those who want to try to tackle criticisms of the book go ahead and defend it. Reviewing what the facts are helps people to understand when they read criticisms. I do think Kerry invited the inquiry when he started saluting the audience at the Democratic convention and other times since like he's a George Washington war hero come to volunteer to serve the country.

Last edited by Mary on Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scott
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary,

The NYT chart is just about as relevant as the "Six Degrees of Separation from Kevin Bacon" thing.

It's grasping at the thinnest of straws.

Mary wrote:
I'm aware of what Kerry's said about Christmas in Cambodia, as O'Neill explained that in detail in the book, and I did notice that this was not evidence of a truthful candidate

It's more than that; Kerry entered that fairy tale into the Congressional Record in a debate over U.S. policy in (I believe) South America. So he told a lie to influence U.S Foreign Policy as a sitting U.S. Senator.
Mary
Former Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well unfortunately people look at it and show it to me as though it's accurate and so instead of just giving a pat answer like that, I have to provide specific reasons they should think it's not true. The chart link was sent me by a friend who was explaining to me why she finds O'Neill to be part of a Republican smear campaign and who was seeking to convince me that I shouldn't have paid any attention to the book. She doesn't have the book and sees things like that posted different places and assumes the book is mistaken. It doesn't look like it's grasping at thin straws to me though, and I see why it persuaded her to not buy the book.

At any rate, I told her that I don't care about who financed what and only care about whether the facts are accurate and that regardless of who financed the adverts, the important part is the facts.

The chart also tries to say the facts are mistaken and that the officers contradict themselves, and I think it takes someone going point by point and refuting the claims about the officers and posting that somewhere online like evidently some Democrat organizations have done probably posting that chart link where my friend found it, to get people to understand. Average readers like my friend who see the chart are not swayed by me answering with "that's the thinnest of straws." That doesn't refute a claim, and it's not how O'Neill himself would address a challenge on a fact of his.

The fact that Elliott went back and contradicted himself in recent weeks doesn't help things and I'm not clear what Elliott's current stand is now since his August retractions.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I just want to address the statements made by critics of the book and refute them if they are refutable; the truth is what is important, not my opinion of a bias in a publication.

I wasn't trying to disuade you from asking or discussing issues, just acknowldeging that to some, truth is relative to their perception. However, a publications bias is indeed important, as many leftist reporters, bloggers and media outlets claim anything against Kerry are Republican fronts.

As for truth, yes, it is important. That's why I have said you are discussing this with Vietnam veterans who spent more than 4 months in country and showing that the SBVT are also highly decorated veterans who spent full tours there. Are 6 or 7 to be believed over 250, just because they weren't on the same physical boat, just alongside it within a matter of yards? But, at the same time, one who also wasn't on the same physical boat is lauded and informed and honest simply because he supports Kerry? Rather inconsistent, is it not?

Many of the criticisms of the book can be set straight by referring back to Kerry's own words. Answers and discussions are here as well other sites, such as www.wintersoldier.com

For one, I will always address and answer and discuss sincere questions. Then, it's up to the other person to formulate their own opinions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: