SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Three Purple Hearts

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acbuilder2002
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject: Three Purple Hearts Reply with quote

AS a retired Naval Officer (1950-1973), I was out to lunch when the three P.H. cut and run reg. must have been enacted. Being a Brown shoe, I wonder if only the Black shoe Navy new about this Reg. Some of the Army pilots I flew Huey's with had several P.H.'s and were on 2nd & 3rd tours. Did the Reg./Order? cover the Army too? Can anybody shed any light on this. Idea
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to his request for re-assignment, BUPERSINST 1300.39 was the applicable Naval directive at the time. Whether or not the other services had their own equivalent personnel policy is going to take some digging, but, on the face of it, a policy such as that would almost, in equity, have to apply to all services.

Kerry was awarded his 3rd PH for "injuries received" on 13 March, and his transfer request is dated 17 March. Didn't let a whole lotta grass grow under his feet, did he?

I'd sure like to have been a fly on the wall when Kerry presented himself to his CO for transfer out. Do you think Kerry got that on film as well? On second thought, it's a scene I'd rather not contemplate.

"LTJG KERRY PRESENTLY ON FULL DUTY STATUS AND AVAILABLE FOR REASSIGNMENT"

Last edited by Me#1You#10 on Tue May 11, 2004 4:11 am; edited 1 time in total
NecAsperaTerra

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To: "Me#1You#10"

Your signature has something about 4-1/2 months.

Do you deride Sen. Kerry for the number of months he did in Vietnam? Even though he served his full term in the Navy and remained in the Navy as a reserve.

You know this character John O'Neill?

How many months did he serve in Vietnam? My source said 6 months. I can link to it.

And that could be rounding up.

So how is O'Neill so much better that he can have a news conference and dare to call a 20-year senator out for his service?
Craig

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NecAsperaTerra wrote:

Do you deride Sen. Kerry for the number of months he did in Vietnam? Even though he served his full term in the Navy and remained in the Navy as a reserve.

You know this character John O'Neill?

How many months did he serve in Vietnam? My source said 6 months. I can link to it.

And that could be rounding up.

So how is O'Neill so much better that he can have a news conference and dare to call a 20-year senator out for his service?

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4534613/
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NecAsperaTerra wrote:
Even though he served his full term in the Navy and remained in the Navy as a reserve.

Did he?

Seems his service record says that he got out of active service six months early to run for Congress.

And there's no record that I can find of him serving at all in any kind of Reserves - Ready, inactive or active.

Do you have documentation of this Reserve service?

Thanks,
Greenhat
LCDR

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NecAsperaTerra wrote:

Actually, his sig says 4 and 1/2 John Kerry tours. John Kerry did 4 months on Swift Boats, so it seems that he is indicating he spent 18 months on Swift Boats.

Navyx3, Officers don't ETS like EMs. They hold their commissions until resigned or taken away. John Kerry was IRR until at least 1974 and some documentation I have seen indicates 1978.
NecAsperaTerra

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject: Kerry in Ready Reserves Reply with quote

Navy_Navy_Navy wrote:
NecAsperaTerra wrote:
Even though he served his full term in the Navy and remained in the Navy as a reserve.
Seems his service record says that he got out of active service six months early to run for Congress.

And there's no record that I can find of him serving at all in any kind of Reserves - Ready, inactive or active.
Do you have documentation of this Reserve service?
Thanks,

Well, I had seen it on another BB and for some reason remembered it. So, I Googled and found reference to it, with links right back to his web site, where the chronology is listed (at the bottom of this page): http://www.johnkerry.com/communities/veterans/service.html. Note that he was promoted to LT. Jan. 1, 1970.

DD-214:
http://www.johnkerry.com/about/DD214.pdf

Release from Active Duty:
http://www.johnkerry.com/about/Release_From_Active_Duty.pdf

Transfer from Ready Reserve to Standby Reserve:
http://www.johnkerry.com/about/Transfer_To_Standby_Reserve.pdf

Discharge from Naval Reserve:
http://www.johnkerry.com/about/Acceptance_of_Discharge_Naval_Reserve.pdf

(I hope I have these right and in the right order. I'm the wife of a VN veteran, US Army at that, and was never in the service myself.)
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenhat wrote:

Actually, his sig says 4 and 1/2 John Kerry tours. John Kerry did 4 months on Swift Boats, so it seems that he is indicating he spent 18 months on Swift Boats.

For the record, 1 1/2 Army tours.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenhat wrote:

Good catch, Greenhat - I missed that bit.

Greenhat wrote:
Navyx3, Officers don't ETS like EMs. They hold their commissions until resigned or taken away. John Kerry was IRR until at least 1974 and some documentation I have seen indicates 1978.

Okay thanks for the clarification.

NecAsperaTerra wrote:
Well, I had seen it on another BB and for some reason remembered it.

Thank you for the links - I'll check them out.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: