SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Almost nothing drives me more crazy than this...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
works4me
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New US Military slogan

WE DON'T MAKE ENEMIES, WE DISPOSE OF THEM!
swing votr
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Almost nothing drives me more crazy than this... Reply with quote

fortdixlover wrote:
Any why, exactly, do the terrorists CARE SO MUCH about Iraq, a country that was led by a secular infidel (Saddam)? What is there for them that is of such VALUE that they commit a long stream of suicide bombers to action there?

Guess I'll start out by saying that I am against the war (just to clear the air). I support our troops, I just don't think it was the right war at the right time. That being said, "why do the terrorist think Iraq is so important?" I personally think that they truely beleive that they can win the war. Back in the 80's the drove one super power out of the middle east (USSR), and I think they think they can do it again (and after they do it the set up their own rule, etc.). The problem is, there is no way in hll they can win. This is a completely different situation, we are, economically and militarily, absolutely superior to USSR in the 80s and the resolve of our president is so absolute that there is no way for failure. Also, our intelligence community is far superior and we also have the cooporation of a large amount of the Iraqi population. Other reasons the might think Iraq is important: Imagine a democracy in the middle east and it effects on the other dictatorship countries. Oil (can't rule that one out).

To the topic of "I hate when people say we created terrorists": I think that there are a negligble amount of people whom, after losing loved ones to misguided bombs or other tragedy someone could blame on us, that they have decided to become terrorists. I truely beleive this number is so small, that it is a ridiculous comment to make. More accurately, I think we have ATTRACTED terrorists into Iraq... I think after the war started, people crossed the borders in large numbers to fight us. Which is conveinent in way, because now its easier to kill them all.
Steve Z
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: O'Reilly and Salman Pak Reply with quote

There was a debate on Bill O'Reilly's show on Fox News last night, where O'Reilly pointed out several times to a disbelieving Democrat that several major terrorists had been known to be in Iraq prior to the U.S. invasion, and he mentioned Salman Pak THREE times as a terrorist training camp, although he didn't mention the presence of a plane for hijack training.

Actually, "buffman" did miss one--nearly 3000 killed on 9/11/2001 in New York and Washington. We lost 3000 civilians that day, and the terrorists only lost 19.

In Iraq, we've lost about a third of the 9/11 casualties, but lots of terrorists have been killed (thousands of Fedayeen Saddam, and Saddam's sons). In addition, the (Saddam) money supply to Palestinian suicide bombers has dried up, and you don't hear many stories of bombs going off in Israel these days...Hmmm! Khadafi in Libya saw what happened to Saddam, and has decided to come clean...no more Lockerbies!

These days, the terrorists are killing more Iraqis than Americans, and the Iraqi people (under the Allawi government or an elected government) will probably get tired of the killing and want to go on with their lives, and report terrorists to the Iraqi army and the Americans, leading them to be either killed or chased out of Iraq.

Unless, of course, Kerry wins the election here!
drjohn
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This morning on Fox they interviewed Edwards' wife's group "Moms with a mission." One mom had a son who volunteered for combat in Nasiriyah. She was anti-Bush (naturally) and said that there were more diplomatic channels which were unexplored. Which channels she meant was not pursued- I sure would like to have heard an answer to that question.

Then she went on the say that she wanted more international cooperation. Again, who that was going to be was not asked.

This people all have swallowed the Kerryade. They regurgitate the trite lines but would not be able for one instant to defend their positions with the least invasive of queries.

No one asks the right questions.

No one.

Last edited by drjohn on Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Almost nothing drives me more crazy... Reply with quote

swing votr wrote:
...The problem is, there is no way in hll they can win....

Au contraire as they say in unspeakable places. I'm older than most readers here and remember Vietnam as a place I believed there was "no way in hell they could win." In fact, I found it difficult to believe they were able to oust the Franchies. I was wrong. Kerry and his cheesy punk followers, combined with our left-biased media and an uninformed people, through appeasement, caused us to be ejected in 1973 from a country that totally collapsed in 1975.

This same bunch who would appease rather than defend, could reenact their despicable deeds and permit our foes to eject us just as they did before. I absolutely agree that our military forces, unbridled to use all their power, could easily defeat any foe. The real problem is Kerry.
noc
PO1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrorists have been around for many decades. Arguably 9/11 itself
created the most terrorists. But, desperation has set in and they now
realize that they are losing their strong holds. Yes, Iraq and Afghanistan
have been hotbeds for many years. The Kerry crowd wants to ignore this.
You are right, RDTF, the evidence was strong. Al Zarqawi operated freely
in Bagdad, the camps were fully operational, and Saddam was paying $25k to every family of a suicide bomber.

The terrorists are afraid of Bush. They do not want him reelected.
Terrorist operations were so much easier before President Bush had America fight back. Which I might add that Kerry was long an advocate for going into Iraq before he is now against it. See www.kerryoniraq.com Kerry would like to go back to the days of reaction instead of proaction. He would wait for the next attack. There is good reason that no major attack has occurred in the homeland since 9/11. We took the fight to them and now they act like cornered rats.
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Almost nothing drives me more crazy... Reply with quote

Tom Poole wrote:
swing votr wrote:
...The problem is, there is no way in hll they can win....

Au contraire as they say in unspeakable places. I'm older than most readers here and remember Vietnam as a place I believed there was "no way in hell they could win." In fact, I found it difficult to believe they were able to oust the Franchies. I was wrong. Kerry and his cheesy punk followers, combined with our left-biased media and an uninformed people, through appeasement, caused us to be ejected in 1973 from a country that totally collapsed in 1975.

This same bunch who would appease rather than defend, could reenact their despicable deeds and permit our foes to eject us just as they did before. I absolutely agree that our military forces, unbridled to use all their power, could easily defeat any foe. The real problem is Kerry.

]It's all about morale -- and if we continue to allow these 'patriots in the name of free speech' to convince that it's un-winable, then like vietnam the soldiers - with their perceived lack of support at home will unwittingly make that happen. That cannot occur again.
scotty61
LCDR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Almost nothing drives me more crazy than this... Reply with quote

[/quote] I think after the war started, people crossed the borders in large numbers to fight us. Which is conveinent in way, because now its easier to kill them all.[/quote]

Don't know who said it first, but he said it right; War is best played as the visiting team instead of the home team.
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Almost nothing drives me more crazy than this... Reply with quote

swing votr wrote:
fortdixlover wrote:
Any why, exactly, do the terrorists CARE SO MUCH about Iraq, a country that was led by a secular infidel (Saddam)? What is there for them that is of such VALUE that they commit a long stream of suicide bombers to action there?

Guess I'll start out by saying that I am against the war (just to clear the air). I support our troops, I just don't think it was the right war at the right time. That being said, "why do the terrorist think Iraq is so important?" I personally think that they truely beleive that they can win the war. Back in the 80's the drove one super power out of the middle east (USSR), and I think they think they can do it again (and after they do it the set up their own rule, etc.). The problem is, there is no way in hll they can win. This is a completely different situation, we are, economically and militarily, absolutely superior to USSR in the 80s and the resolve of our president is so absolute that there is no way for failure. Also, our intelligence community is far superior and we also have the cooporation of a large amount of the Iraqi population. Other reasons the might think Iraq is important: Imagine a democracy in the middle east and it effects on the other dictatorship countries. Oil (can't rule that one out).

To the topic of "I hate when people say we created terrorists": I think that there are a negligble amount of people whom, after losing loved ones to misguided bombs or other tragedy someone could blame on us, that they have decided to become terrorists. I truely beleive this number is so small, that it is a ridiculous comment to make. More accurately, I think we have ATTRACTED terrorists into Iraq... I think after the war started, people crossed the borders in large numbers to fight us. Which is conveinent in way, because now its easier to kill them all.

Seems, then, that the minimal benefits of the war are an end to the mass murders Saddam was committing against his own people, and the maximum, killing the terrorists flocking to Iraq before they get to the continential U.S. Not to mention getting an intelligence base right in the heart of the terrorist lands.

So why, then, are you so against the war?????? Question Question

-- FDL

Last edited by fortdixlover on Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:52 pm; edited 3 times in total
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: O'Reilly and Salman Pak Reply with quote

Steve Z wrote:
In Iraq, we've lost about a third of the 9/11 casualties, but lots of terrorists have been killed (thousands of Fedayeen Saddam, and Saddam's sons). In addition, the (Saddam) money supply to Palestinian suicide bombers has dried up, and you don't hear many stories of bombs going off in Israel these days...Hmmm! Khadafi in Libya saw what happened to Saddam, and has decided to come clean...no more Lockerbies

Even more important...no more secret development of nukes by Libya. Ghadafi turned the goods in as a result of not wanting to be found in a foxhole like Saddam.

Where was the U.N. when Ghadafi was playing Los Alamos in the desert?

A question to the left: what was Ghadafi going to do with his nukes, exactly?

/bullcrap shields on

-- FDL
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Almost nothing drives me more crazy than this... Reply with quote

scotty61 wrote:
swing voter wrote:
I think after the war started, people crossed the borders in large numbers to fight us. Which is conveinent in way, because now its easier to kill them all.

Don't know who said it first, but he said it right; War is best played as the visiting team instead of the home team.

Plenty were already there, it's proven they had training camps. They have operatives with big cells all over the world, mostly the middle east with a big picture of taking over to win their objectives. I will tell you that when I lived in Brazil the locals in the Amazon would throw a dead cow in the river to attract the piranhas so they could cross it... And attract them it always did. If going there brought more of them to Iraq to take us on in a more accessible way than over here, then so be it! That's why i know it wasn't the wrong war, at the wrong time. Just going to Afghanistan WASN"T ENOUGH.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenhat (who I miss, around here) had a great argument for those opposed to the war in Iraq.

He simply asked that the person lay out a plan for the war on terror that didn't include the invasion and democratization of Iraq.

Brilliant! I'm no geo-political strategist, for sure - but he is. I did try to think about this at length and this is crystal-clear.

You can't prosecute the war on terror as effectively as we have managed to do without first gaining major footholds in terror's breeding grounds.

Look at the advantages that we have and will have in the future with two more democratic allies in the region. Think about how many more we could have lost without the staging areas to which we now have access.
swing votr
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Almost nothing drives me more crazy than this... Reply with quote

fortdixlover wrote:
Seems, then, that the minimal benefits of the war are an end to the mass murders Saddam was committing against his own people, and the maximum, killing the terrorists flocking to Iraq before they get to the continential U.S. Not to mention getting an intelligence base right in the heart of the terrorist lands.
So why, then, are you so against the war?????? Question Question
-- FDL

I am simply opposed to the timing of going into Iraq, and I think rather than storming into Bagdad, I think we should have secured the borders as best we could first. I have no doubt that how ever many years from now that I raq will be a better place to live, just in my gut I think the war could have waited a year or two until Afghanistan was completely done.
Navy_Navy_Navy wrote:
He simply asked that the person lay out a plan for the war on terror that didn't include the invasion and democratization of Iraq.

I understand that Saddam was bad, even 'evil', but there are more countries than simply Iraq that harbor/support terrorists (or at least there is evidence that points to it) like Iran, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, N. Korea, etc. All of these countries also have rulers who are less than favorable to people with dissenting opinions. Does this mean every plan to stop terrorism has to involve invading EVERY one of these countries? (again, i am simply against the timing, not the removal of saddam)

And I am not trying to start an arguement, I can fully see and understand why people are all about this war, its just my opinion.

Finally, I see people posting that it is a FACT that there were training camps in Iraq. Where are sources for this, because I haven't heard of it.
Thanks!
noc
PO1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Almost nothing drives me more crazy than this... Reply with quote

[quote="swing votr]
Finally, I see people posting that it is a FACT that there were training camps in Iraq. Where are sources for this, because I haven't heard of it.
Thanks![/quote]

Here was one discovered near Bagdad:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,84291,00.html

Here is information on Salman Pak:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/world/iraq/salman_pak.htm
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome noc - I have been looking for those from legitimate news sources. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: