SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Man arrested for beating soldier at Toby Keith Concert!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaRae
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:56 am    Post subject: Man arrested for beating soldier at Toby Keith Concert! Reply with quote

http://www.nbc4i.com/news/3768724/detail.html

Man Charged In Local Soldier's Beating
Barton Allegedly Attacked At Concert

POSTED: 10:45 pm EDT September 28, 2004
UPDATED: 12:39 pm EDT September 29, 2004

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- A man has been arrested and charged in the alleged attack on a Central Ohio soldier at a local concert venue, NBC 4's Monique Ming Laven reported.

Brent Cornwell, 28, of Blacklick, was arrested Tuesday night by Columbus police. He was charged with felonious assault Wednesday morning at a Delaware County Municipal Court video arraignment.

A judge set bond at $15,000. Cornwell was ordered to be on house arrest.

Foster Barton, 19, of Grove City, was on leave from the war in Iraq earlier this month when he said he was beaten in the parking lot after a Toby Keith concert at Germain Amphitheater.

Barton said his attacker beat him up because he was wearing an Operation Iraqi Freedom T-shirt. Barton was beaten so badly that he was knocked unconscious.

Police said witnesses at the scene and the suspect's own family helped police make an arrest, Laven reported. Police said Cornwell, who spent four years in the Army, called a morning radio show last week and said he wanted to give his side of the story, Laven reported.

Barton (pictured, right) received a Purple Heart for his military service in Iraq. He almost lost his leg last month after a Humvee he was riding in ran over a landmine. He was on leave recovering from the injury when he was beaten at the concert.

The soldier's injuries, including a broken nose, meant that he couldn't go back to Iraq as scheduled.

"I don't remember getting hit at all, really," said Barton, a member of the 1st Calvary Division. "He hit me in the back of the head. I fell and hit the ground. I was knocked unconscious and he continued to punch and kick me on the ground."

The original story posted on nbc4i.com was linked to by many popular Web sites and prompted people from across the country to send e-mails to NBC 4 and to call his home.

Barton told NBC 4's Nancy Burton last week that hearing words of encouragement from so many people made him realize he and his fellow soldiers have a lot of support, and that one single act of violence should not take away from that.

Barton said the support he received through phone calls and e-mails was helping him heal.

"It's been incredible," Barton said. "The phone has not stopped ringing."

According to a Columbus police report, six witnesses who didn't know Barton said the person who beat him up was screaming profanities and making crude remarks about U.S. soldiers, Burton reported.

One witness, a friend of the alleged attacker, said Barton hit first. Police said they do not think that witness is credible since the six other witnesses said Barton was hit from behind.

"The witnesses said that the beating and kicking continued even after Mr. Barton was on the ground," Delaware County Prosecutor Dave Yost said. "Anytime you've got somebody kicking at somebody who is on the ground, you've got a very dangerous situation. One well-placed kick can end up being fatal."

When asked by the judge if he had anything to say, Cornwell said, "No, I just can't wait until Mr. Yost hears my side of the story."

Barton's mother said she has a message for her son's attacker, who police said ran into the crowd after the incident and was not immediately arrested.

"He needs our prayers, just like the insurgents, because he's a coward," Cindy Barton said.

Foster Barton was waiting for doctors to tell him when he could return to active duty. He said wanted to go back as soon as possible because his unit was attacked after he left. Eleven soldiers were wounded and two were killed, he said.

Watch NBC 4 and refresh nbc4i.com for additional information.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: