SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PBS Brinkley Interview On Kerry - paid for anti-war speeches

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Kerry - VVAW Leadership & "Wintersoldier"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ord33
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:52 am    Post subject: PBS Brinkley Interview On Kerry - paid for anti-war speeches Reply with quote

Interesting insight according to Douglas Brinkley on Kerry's motivation to join the Swift Boats. (Some of this is repetitive, but I did learn some new things).

Quote:
Any incidents from combat that particularly stand out in your mind or in his mind?

First off, as much as he likes, I think, to be a hero -- I mean, if he is a war hero or has a sense of romance of what that means in military history -- he was not looking for hard duty in Vietnam. To the contrary. He simply, from January to June of 1968, was on the USS Gridley. His job on the Gridley was maintenance, to spic and span polish the Gridley. He had one captain that was good. But he had another captain barking at him all the time. "Kerry, there's dust here, Kerry."

So his view is, "I'd love to get off this assignment of being maintenance guy on the Gridley." He sees in Danang Harbor, in the spring of 1968, a 50-foot aluminum Swift boat, shiny, beautiful little boats, just made out from Louisiana starting in 1965. He decides, "How do I get one?"

He finds out you apply to Swift boat school. If you get accepted in Swift boat school, this is what happens to you. First off, they send you home. You get off the Gridley. He could go see his girlfriend Julia in Massachusetts, which he did for two months -- no duty -- great two months with your girlfriend in New England for the summer. Then in August, you get to go to Swift school at Coronado, beautiful San Diego, for six weeks, where you're trained how to ride these beautiful, brand-new 50-foot boats. Then you go to become a member of Operation Market Time in Vietnam, whose sole job is to patrol the coast of Vietnam, 1,100 miles of Vietnamese coastland and coastline. You're doing Coast Guard duty. That's what Kerry put into.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/choice2004/interviews/brinkley.html

Update: Wow, I continued reading the article, and this really stuck out, and I'm sure will anger many.

Quote:
What people don't understand after John Kerry testified on April 22 in 1971 in front of Fulbright and became now the celebrity veteran, and Morley Safer has him on 60 Minutes -- He's on Buckley's show and Dick Cavett. He's getting $500 a speech.

Reference is same link as above.
85 Scott
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this Q & A most revealing....

Quote:
Kerry comes across as a politician who ... has really complicated issues on things, notably the war in Iraq. How do you explain that?

....John Kerry doesn't think in terms of black-and-white. He's all gray, and he looks at all sides of the issues. That makes people think he likes to be devil's advocate. Whatever you say, he'll challenge you on. You almost get like, "Why are you challenging me on that? It's so obvious."

But all of that is in preparation for the big strike. It's in preparation to think it and to feel out the weak links in the arguments. So when he does go forward, it comes across with a kind of clarity.

I agree with you though, I think there's a problem that he has sometimes of going on and speaking in such a way that it's a lot of transcription. It's a lot of words, and it was a yes-or-no question. But he does not see the world in yes or no.

Kerry has an objective. It's to win the presidency. He's going to do whatever he can to do it, and it's not going to be in just this straightforward way. He's going to constantly tack with the wind.

Here's a very important point. I think the guy used to be straightforward like that. But he lost in 1970 for being so straightforward on the anti-war movement, and he lost in '72. Why did he lose? Because everybody replayed his speech that he gave in front of the Fulbright Committee, where he was so emotional and spoke so clearly about it. They showed the cover that he chose, the photo of the American flag upside down on his book, The New Soldier, that is the sign for distress. But the right grabbed it and beat up on him.

I don't know what went through his mind when he made his vote on Iraq. But certainly he was positioning himself by that vote, to find ways to have it both ways, in a sense. The heart of John Kerry, I believe, was opposed to it when he voted for it. But I think he didn't want to be set up.

.....And that is what Reps need to do to sink this hazardous career-lying fraud that can't even lead with clear yes or no answers.

Last edited by 85 Scott on Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:40 am; edited 1 time in total
ord33
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

85 Scott,

Agreed. I was thinking the same thing while reading that!
Dimsdale
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But he does not see the world in yes or no.

Clearly not. It is more like "How can the world advantage me, John Kerry?"

He tells his own lies, lets the lies of others go on, trashes anyone in his way etc. etc.

All to advantage himself.

I hope the SBVT and the POWs put the truth to "be careful who you step on on your way to the top, because they will be the same people kicking you on your way down."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Kerry - VVAW Leadership & "Wintersoldier" All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: