SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Article: To Saddam's prisoners, US abuse seems 'a joke'
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ROTC DAD
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenhat,

Actually, you just don't get it. I am not arguing that the soldiers are not subject to the UCMJ; I am arguing that there has been systemic violation of the UCMJ and that those violations were made consciously by decision-makers within our command structure. Otherwise, there would have been no reason for Assistant Attorney General Gonzalez to write a memo stating that we would have to withdraw from the Geneva Conventions so that the President could not be tried as a war criminal. There was a conscious decision made by members of the command structure to skirt the law, either those of the Geneva Conventions or thos of the UCMJ.

The problem is not just a few bad apples as you and many others would have us believe.
Greenhat
LCDR

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROTC DAD wrote:
Greenhat,

Actually, you just don't get it. I am not arguing that the soldiers are not subject to the UCMJ; I am arguing that there has been systemic violation of the UCMJ and that those violations were made consciously by decision-makers within our command structure. Otherwise, there would have been no reason for Assistant Attorney General Gonzalez to write a memo stating that we would have to withdraw from the Geneva Conventions so that the President could not be tried as a war criminal. There was a conscious decision made by members of the command structure to skirt the law, either those of the Geneva Conventions or thos of the UCMJ.

The problem is not just a few bad apples as you and many others would have us believe.

Glad you are such an expert on the military and international law, Dad. Where did you get your law degree and where did you pass the bar?
ROTC DAD
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenhat,

So now you attack my legal background without debating what was said. The same question can be asked of you. When did you become a legal expert? I know, you're going to tell me you were an officer and therfore you know the UCMJ because you were required to know it. From a legal standpoint, when did you ever use it?

And still, you haven't responded to the debate. If the Assistant Attorney General of the US writes a memo which states that he believes the US should withdraw from the Geneva Conventions in order to protect the President from being brought up on charges as a War Criminal in the World Court and this is made public knowledge, why do I need a law degree to discuss it and point it out as a valid point of contention?

Respond to the topic and stop with the attempts to deflect away from the questions brouht up. If we used your criteria on this board as the only means of discussing a topic, all of us would be silent (including you, btw).
Saint
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently Senator McCain, a POW for 5 1/2 years did not find the abuse funny. Wink
Greenhat
LCDR

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROTC DAD wrote:
Greenhat,

So now you attack my legal background without debating what was said. The same question can be asked of you. When did you become a legal expert? I know, you're going to tell me you were an officer and therfore you know the UCMJ because you were required to know it. From a legal standpoint, when did you ever use it?

And still, you haven't responded to the debate. If the Assistant Attorney General of the US writes a memo which states that he believes the US should withdraw from the Geneva Conventions in order to protect the President from being brought up on charges as a War Criminal in the World Court and this is made public knowledge, why do I need a law degree to discuss it and point it out as a valid point of contention?

Respond to the topic and stop with the attempts to deflect away from the questions brouht up. If we used your criteria on this board as the only means of discussing a topic, all of us would be silent (including you, btw).

When did I ever use it?

Oh, probably about 35-40 times. I served under Carter when I first entered the service. We did a lot of Article 15s, some Article 32 hearings, a few court-martials once Reagan took office and we were allowed to actually try to build a working and disciplined military. Was the investigating officer for Article 32 hearings twice. Testified in a few court-martials. Put a lot of people in front of the CO for Article 15s and for Chapters (especially Chapter 9s). Must have read 40-50 people their Miranda rights during health and welfare inspections.

The Attorney General's responsibility is to provide the President with legal council. Suggesting an action that is precautionary does not state anything at all about what has been authorized, it is simply a lawyer looking at all the possibilities and making the appropriate recommendations. As a lawyer, I am sure you would do the same for your clients, right?
ROTC DAD
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenhat,

I stand corrected. You talk like a lawyer.

Still, as I stated in my last post, that is not the debate. The Attorney General's office is to provide the President with legal council as it pertains to the laws of the US. He is not the President's Attorney and therefore should not be providing private legal council. Nor is giving the President advice to withdraw from rules of engagement within the pervue of his position. But again, that is not the debate.

We agree that abuse occurred. We differ in the degree of culpability. Yet as has been reported, the abuse was systemic, was broadly applied, and was also ineffectual in gathering information. So all we managed to do was make the Iraqi's dislike us more than they may normally have.
Greenhat
LCDR

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in that much we agree, ROTC Dad. And I hope that everyone of the people who are actually responsible are punished to the full extent of the UCMJ. I am not willing to assume on heresay who was or wasn't involved.
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink
Jeremy Eaton
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.truthout.org/
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy Eaton wrote:
http://www.truthout.org/

Guys,

I hate to tell you, the "prisoner abuse" issue has been milked for all it's worth (which is, not much in the big scheme of things). Nobody's opinion is going to be changed by it, one way or the other.

It's time to go home now.

FDL
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: