SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

World wide ban of private ownership of guns?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Son Of The Godfather
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They could confiscate all my ammo...

...post-chamber.

SOTG
azpatriot
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SangRun Hunter wrote:
Amen Shooter! I'd like to see them try an enforce a ban though! Twisted Evil

Exactly my thoughts! SangRun Hunter Twisted Evil
sdonions
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everything said here. I will add that there are way too many people in this nation have listened to ultra-liberals and think that if they get control then the eutopian state will accur.

The problem comes in that there is also too many people that believe that the ultamate responsibility of personal and family protect is the individuals. I fall in the latter category. I own a Ruger GP100 loaded with douple +P Manstopper rounds for carrying out in the field while hunting but my house protector is Browning BPS 12 Gauge shotgun loaded with 2 3/4 #6 shot. Much less chance of the shot going through walls and hurting something other than the intended target.

Gun Control. Hitting your target the First shot.
bsjracing
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Soros outlaws guns...

Only the outlaws will have guns..

Proud to be an Outlaw!

If you're going to burn the US flag, at least have the decency to wrap yourself in it first.
Chuck54
PO1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sdonions wrote:
my house protector is Browning BPS 12 Gauge shotgun loaded with 2 3/4 #6 shot. Much less chance of the shot going through walls and hurting something other than the intended target.

I opted for a shotgun for home protection too. Don't need to be all that accurate and it will still be effective. Winchester "defender" 8 round 12 guage loaded with birdshot.

If Kerry wins I will spend my November 3 morning at the sporting goods store for some eff the UN purchases.

Zell Miller
armybrat
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MissPatriot wrote:
I agree, armybrat. I held bunches of different guns and the model #60 fit my hand the best. I held a ladysmith but it felt too small. The pistol grip wasn't long enough and it was uncomfortable to hold. I really took my time deciding which gun to get.

My hubby is a pretty good shot too. But, my kids, mom and I go on alot of nature field trips while he's at work. Smile That and my mom and I go gold prospecting.

I feel alot better knowing I can protect myself and family. I just don't ever want to get physically close enough to a bear or cougar to have to try to fight it off. I wouldn't have a chance. LOL

I live in Northwestern Washington State and there was a cougar attack in Canada just across the border. It acutally lept from a ledge and knocked a child off a horse. The mom ran back to save the kids and they ran and were okay but she was killed.

If she'd only had a gun.

Gutsy mom. Unfortunately, that's happening here in california of all places. We have had a spate of cougar attacks in ORANGE COUNTY (Just south of LA). In one case a bicyclist was killed! And our local's just voted down cougar hunting!!!!!!! Kinda strange.
bk_mo
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:01 am    Post subject: guns Reply with quote

No one is takin our guns!!!!! Have to kill us first.
Endaar
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

I can't see how a UN ban on guns could be enforced in the US without ammending the Constitution and repealing the 2nd ammendment. Now, there's two major issues with that:

* On a pratical level, there doesn't seem to be ANY chance that 3/4 of the states would ratify such an ammendment. Consider that there are more 'conservative' states than 'liberal' ones, and it seems that sort of a super-majority would be impossible to achieve.

* Beyond that, has anything in the Bill of Rights ever been substancially modified? Or even modified at all? I know Americans on average aren't big on history (sad, though that is) but since many states wouldn't ratify the Constitution itself without the guarantee of the Bill of Rights, what repercussions would the possible elimination of one of our fundamental rights have? An outright ban on guns would be far more similiar to eliminating the freedom of speech than it would to past attempts to control the proliferation of guns.

All in all, I'm not too worried about an outright ban happening, even if Kerry somehow manages to pull the wool over enough peoples' eyes to get himself elected. But that said, I would seriously consider buying a gun (don't own one now) if he does win.

Endaar
Scott
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endaar,

The issue is whether the U.S. Senate would ratify an international U.N. treaty restricting or banning private ownership of guns in the U.S. and other countries.

If it did, someone would then have to challenge the restrictions as unconstitutional, and the Supreme Court would, in all likelihood, rule on it.

Of course, if the Court refused to hear the case (a favored tactic of late), the law would stand, and the 2nd Amendment would be effectively abandoned.

The U.N. is expected to have such a treaty ready within the next two years or so. If John Kerry is appointing the new Supreme Court justices as needed, how confident would you be? After all, we just lost a major portion of the 1st Amendment's protection with McCain-Feingold.
cipher
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The UN and whose army is going to attempt to enforce this?

Banning guns is as silly a concept as banning drugs or prostitution. All you need is the raw materials and someplace to work....

It's very difficult for me to take the UN seriously, as it is basically a bunch of thugs living off of the allowances paid by the US and other "rich" countries.

Besides, the whole concept of pacifists attempting to disarm an unwilling and determined opponent smacks of mice voting to bell the cat.
Defense contractor for US Navy, SSPO, SP-20, SP-24, OP-12 84-92
Endaar
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott, thanks for your comments.

I have no doubt POTUS Kerry (shudder) would ratify a UN ban. But would 2/3rds of the Senate do the same? As you said, that is the question. My uneducated guess is that there are enough Senators from states which strongly support gun rights to prevent reaching that 2/3rds figure.

Given that there could be no more appropriate Constitutional issue than that of a treaty superceding the Constitution (which as I read it, is explicitly forbidden under all circumstances), if the Supreme Court chose not to hear such a case, it would in effect invalidate a whole lot of our political system. And where that would lead is rather frightening.

Endaar
armybrat
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREAT!!!!!!!! It's so obvious, so easy once you look at it. Maybe they can show us how well it works in say, Palestine? Or maybe Sudan? Or maybe Somalia?

Of course after it's all over, we can have crime rates like Great Britain or Australia. You know, the ones that have seen double digit increases in their violent crime rates since they took there enlightened approach.
sniper
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember, Blue Helmets make nice targets.

That may sound a bit brash, but I was BORN with certain INALIENABLE rights, not rights bestowed on me by J-effin-K or the UN.

I have my Fathers M1, it protected liberty in WW2, it can do so again.
Weaponeer
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been building Browning 1919A4 belt fed Semi-Autos for a couple years. They have not seen combat in 60 years, but if a bad hit's I'm sure they would be pressed back into service.

It's funny that weapons parts and kits such as the 1919 parts kits have been selling like wildfire the last couple months... I had 200 kits, and I'm down to about 50 kits now and the last two places that have them in the US are just about sold out and the prices are climbing fast.

Much of it had to do with fear that Kerry will get into office to stop the legal building of semi-auto weapons in the US.

Weaponeer
www.weaponeer.net
MrJapan
PO1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MissPatriot wrote:
I just bought my first gun this last spring. I also got a CRL so I could carry concealed.

It's kind of hard to put into words how I felt as I was being fingerprinted for my CRL. I felt like a criminal. I felt like I was being persecuted for wanting to own a firearm. When I went to the local police dept to apply for it the woman who processed my application voiced very strongly how she wished people weren't able to do this. Then she grudgingly said, "But, I guess it's your right." Rolling Eyes

I think my jaw almost hit the floor when I heard that. sheesh

My feeling like a criminal just shows how the 'gun ban' proponents have conditioned even law abiding citizens to feel criminal for wanting a gun for personal protection.

Grrrrrrrr Evil or Very Mad

I wanted a gun that could do some damage if need be. I bought a .357 Magnum S&W revolver which I load with .38 Special Hydrashock hollow point rounds.

I was a Deputy before I came here... (along with my ARmy NG)...

I remember when we (LE officers) had a vote as whether we were for or or again it. I never met an officer (At least in the SD) that was against it. We were studying how the crime rate went down by 30% 3 years prior in Florida after Florida became a conceiled weapons state. The law passed (Texas) and within the 1st 2 years, the crime rate also dropped roughly 30% in Texas too....

I still have no problem with the law.... and it WOULD be a crime if they took that right away from us.
Desert Shield/Desert Storm
Texas Army NG 13E FDC
BTRY B 3-133 Arty
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: