SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

John O'Neill - Nightline - Post Comments HERE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 31, 32, 33  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
buffman
LCDR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe some of that ketchup money is finding it's way into the Nam.
ccr
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copied from the other thread as per mod....

One very interesting part of the Nightline story....

Quote:
Back in Tran Thoi, villager Nguyen Van Khoai said that about six months ago he was visited by an American who described himself as a Swift boat veteran and told him another American from the Swift boats was running for president of the United States. Nguyen said the man was accompanied by a cameraman.

"They say he didn't do anything to deserve the medal," Nguyen said. "The other day, they came and asked me the questions and I said that the recognition for the medal is up to the U.S.A."

He said that, after they met, the Swift Boat veteran and the cameraman turned around and went back down the river. Nightline has not been able to identify the men.

http://www.learnthat.com/quiz/
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that in another, older thread was this link:

http://www.planetsave.com/ViewStory.asp?ID=5254

The VC being interviewed here was clearly indoctrinated to support the Kerry story. But this supposed eye-witness offers conflicts with the ABC story.

Very interesting.
cipher
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:34 pm (transcribed from duplicate thread)

I don't see that the VC *are* supporting Kerry's claim. In fact, there are at least 6 contraditions to the events as described by Kerry.

I need to pull this story apart a bit, it'll take a few minutes, as I have to chase down some references.

Basically, the contradictions are:
1) "Numerically superior force" The VC says 20, and they are relatively precise about who and where the 20 came from. That is consistent also with after actions reports, however, there were in excess of 50 RVN marines on the US side, plus the crews and equipment of the Swift boats. That is NOT "numerical superiority"

2) "Intense fire" It seems the intense fire was from the friendlies. The VC were armed with ONE RPG-2 with a B-40 grenade and small arms. That is hardly "intense firepower". The reports of the VC is that they didn't hit anything (hard to hit when you're running).

3) Everyone seems to make a big deal about the wardrobe and apparent age and size of the VC. He was about 26 and dressed in black pajamas. That seems to be a major bone of contention, but shouldn't be.

4) How and where and when he was killed (and he was the ONLY one killed in the attack). The VC shed no new light on this.

5) "weapons cache and supplies captured and destroyed" Flatly denied by the VC. That is a lie on the citation, according to them, no one found the cache, and it still exists today.

6) "Intense automatic weapons fire". The VC state that the 12 man reinforcements and the 8 man home based troops were armed with small arms and ONE B-40. There is no mention of any sort of crew-fired automatic weapon, either an LMG or HMG. It is likely there were AK-47s, however.

I need to look more closely and compare with the four other accounts we have of the incident. One (several, actually!) silver star citations from Kerry, the SPOT reports (there are two), and the other eyewitness Navy officer's op-ed, and UFC.

Hopefully, I'll be able to get this assembled in a few hours, depending on how distracted I get by the locals here.
Defense contractor for US Navy, SSPO, SP-20, SP-24, OP-12 84-92
cipher
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:22 pm (transcribed from duplicate thread)

Lt Kerry was OTC (Officer Tactical Command) for that op, which is apparent in the MTSR. He was also CTE (Commander Task Element), who filed the MTSRs cited below. Yes, Kerry wrote the account of his own actions.

The "taste" is basically listed above. If you want to follow along at home, you can read the Market Time SPOT report for 28 Feb 69 here (Thanks again, Navy Wife!):

http://www.swiftboatarchives.com/subnav.tpl

You want documents labled:

281130Z FEB69
281225Z FEB69
281225Z FEB69
hanna
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am forgetting my Swift Boat history.....were there any Swifties injured in this so-called "firefight"? Seems to me there were not, as well as no damage to the boat.
cipher
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the MTSP cited above. PCF-94 had a window blown out by a near-hit with a B-40 according to the report.
shadowy
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

God bless you, John. Angels may fear to tread, but John O'Neill never lets that stop him.
BenJaxBchFL
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hanna, they were just bad shots,silly.
The war against terrorism is not that Americans might die rather that we would alter our way of living. If we get to a point where we choose not to go out because of fear, our economy will sink and in the end so will our nation. Vote Bush.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this just may mark the first time that any Swift/POW has been interviewed by the alphabet networks.

There was just a discussion about this, a couple of days ago - why aren't Swifts/POW's on MSM?

But, Dear Lord.... Nightline? (Please sheath Koppel's Kerry-defending claws and just give John O'Neill the chance to speak.)

Someone on the East coast, please give us progress reports?
hanna
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link to the spot report doesn't work. I could also read the book, sitting right here....just thought a simple yes/no from one that has all this stuff memorized was easier......I was being lazy;/

Personally I think Kerry used his super powers to make himself, the boat and his crew invisible.
JK
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:42 am    Post subject: O' Neill on Nightline with Ted tonight Reply with quote

John should never expect that Nightline will treat him with fairness, their aim is to take these villagers and cast doubt among the viewers that either the SBVT have not been credible or there remains doubt about who has the true facts. His comments will be taken out of context and used to discredit him and give Kerry support.

John should only appear after viewing the program and reviewing the questions that will be presented to prevent a set up, he should also be reviewing all of the film footage to ensure that ABC has not done a cut and edit job to discredit the SBVT or support Kerry.

I will always believe the SBVT account over whatever Kerry or ABC presents, their approach is to take Kerry's Silver Star citation and prove with accounts of the villagers that everything presented is true or there is no longer any evidence to question the citation. As we all know now Kerry is the author of his Silver Star.

How do we know that these villagers were there on that particular date? Why are they credible?

ABC also casts further doubt that someone connected with the SBVT visited the village earlier to gather evidence against Kerry? Looks like ABC is preparing a conspiracy case against the SBVT.

Let's hope that John will come out of Koppel's "friendly" chat without any damage to himself or the SBVT.

JK
ashter
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never watch Nightline, what time does it come on?
Misty
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul R. wrote:
Hmmm... was there a village right by the river at that location? If not, then the villagers might have heard a lot of shooting...

My wife and I were watching a show on National Geographic a few nights ago. Some place (village) in India, not long ago, wolves started attacking and killing 4,5, 6 year old children at night. Next thing you know, there were "eyewitness" reports from parents who "saw" their child attacked and taken away by human-like (but superhuman) monsters. Following that, a squad of the police trying to find the killers were attacked by a mob of the villagers for not offering sufficient protection from the monsters! In the end, of course, the wolves were eventually found and killed. But, it'd be interesting to hear the stories of the villagers in 30 years!

The damage reports are the best evidence. Maybe John can provide a little graphics help for the Nightline viewers? (a drawing worth 1000 words...?) Throw a rock at a semi 30-40 yards away? (Good grief, I'm no athlete and I could hit a trash can with a hickory nut @ 50 feet!)

Wait a minute. Wasn't this a free fire zone? Weren't the village people removed from this area?
Brother was on the USS Regulus - Vietnam
Husband was AirForce 3rd (34th) Tactical Fighter Wing - Security Police Bien Hoa Vietnam
eziek
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:10 am    Post subject: Nightline Reply with quote

God bless O'Neill, I don't know how he does it.

Having served in the same AO during the time that Kerry was there I have found that this whole debate is too nuanced for the average civilian, which is a shame.

I returned to Nam in '95 with two other vets from our company to document a specific battle for the purpose of submitting a fallen comrade for the citation that he deserved for more than 30 years.

During this three week visit we not only met with the commanding VC general of the area, but specific regimental officers, and most importantly the actual combatants we faced so many years before.

To say that our eyes were open would be to put it mildly. At the time we were there in '69-'69 we knew what regiments we were fighting but had absolutely no idea of just how many their numbers were nor just how organized and disciplined our enemy were.

Missions were not only well coordinated but also logged by unit secretaries and filed with commanding officers. These were not rogue units taking random advantage of targets of opportunities but well coordinated campaigns. This is important because a serious reporter can easily go to the local veterans club or war museum that are ubiquitous in these villages and seek out VC after action reports. Interview regional officers, and referred to actual combatants, especially if you are willing to contribute to local veteran causes. Since the VC in this AO were assigned to 3 man cells and fought together when assembled they all knew one another intimately. An action involving 12 VC taking that many casualties would have been documented, especially since this is claimed to be a 'new' technique utilized by the Swift Boats. This information would have been critical for the command chain.

As we all have seen throughout this MSM media joke, it appears that serious jornalism has no place for the truth. Just the truth...anything less will represent gross negligence of our collective duty to the remarkable men and woman who are sacrificing their daily comfort, psyche, and lives to allow us to continue our pursuits in safety. Truth is an imperative to continue to attract the best and brightest to sacrifice for a greater good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 2 of 33

Jump to: