SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bush frees Secret Service Guard!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NortonPete
PO2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All and all this is a major black eye for Chile.

They tried to interfere with the Secret Service and I would wager
that agent would have gotten through.

GWB interceded in a cool and "Clint Eastwood" manner.

The stuff movies are made of.

The State dinner that got cancelled was to be full of prominent
Chileans. Well they can throw out the food, fire the chefs and
stand in line to return their evening gowns .

"You mean I'm not having dinner with the President of the USA??"

No you live in a third world country.
Barbie2004
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like a "mother hen" and won't rest until my flock arrives home safe and sound.

Sounds like this is the last day in Chili, which is not soon enough for me.

I don't like Chilians balking at security, there is no good reason for them being resistent to something as simple as metal detectors, which are quick and painless.

Words cannot express how proud I am of GW. He handled that episode yesterday like a real star, with no script or rehearsal!

Idea Exclamation Idea Exclamation Idea Exclamation Idea
Inatizzy
Former Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm telling you something ain't right about this. WHY would the Chilean security have a problem with having people go through a metal detector before coming into the dinner?? It's SOP for high level dignitaries. ESPECIALLY the President of the USA.

Everybody knows the threat level he's under from the terrorists right now.

I'm glad they scrapped the dinner. I bet the Secret Service wonks also smelled a rat. No way they were going to let the POTUS go into a situation where he's fair game for any third world sh*thole thug who can smuggle a gun.

I have to ask again.. WHY WHY WHY would they have a problem with the security??? Unless.....

I say get him back within our borders ASAP. I don't feel good about this crap.l
hmminCanada
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first read about this last night the first words that came to my mind were "NO MAN LEFT BEHIND!" The President is a true example of what that means. I am very proud of his courage and his humanity and his loyalty to his men.
But this is a very troublesome situation to have happened and just emphasizes our need to pray for his safety every day. Take Psalm 91 and but GWB in place of the pronoun "he" and read it out loud as a prayer.
Taylor
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My salute to Pres Bush! A great leader and a good man.
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep this in mind, it was reported 20K Chileans turned out to boo W. Add to that the insitance by the Chileans that metal detectors not be used plus their attempt to muscle in between POTUS and his Secret Service detail. Me thinks something is rotten in Santiago. Those Chileans are lucky their arms are still attached to their bodies, NOBODY gets between POTUS and the Secret Service. WTG W! Cool
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This rather sobering analysis from a PowerLine contributor:

Judging from your comments, I don't think you guys realize the seriousness of what happened in Chile. Let me put it into perspective: the president has been marked for death by hundreds of terrorist groups; he is in a foreign country, one where there have been near contintuous riots against America and against him, personally, over the Iraq War; as he's walking into a banquet hall, the local police intentionally cut him off from his security detail.

If the first thought that popped into your mind when you heard about that was not "assassination," then your mind is still laboring in a pre-9/11 world.

It's entirely possible that rather than "rescuing" his detained Secret Service detail, Bush in fact saved his own life. If there was a plan, if this wasn't just a random act of rudeness by the Chilean police (why would they do that?), then Bush's quick thinking may have forced the would-be attackers to abort the operation.

This little incident needs a thorough and complete investigation by Chile, as well as by the CIA. The incident the next day -- where the Bush team demanded everyone at the next banquet pass through metal detectors -- shows that they had the same thought I did (and we all should have had); the fact that Chile refused, even to the point of scuttling the party, is troubling, to say the least.

There are a lot of people out there who want to see George W. Bush dead; alas, there are a lot of heads of state who would not shed a tear. In this day and age, when armed local cops intentionally cut the president off from his security detail, that should be taken as no less a violent act that when an anti-aircraft missile battery "paints" an American plane with fire-control radar.

Schadow
Inatizzy
Former Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schadow wrote:
This rather sobering analysis from a PowerLine contributor:

Judging from your comments, I don't think you guys realize the seriousness of what happened in Chile. Let me put it into perspective: the president has been marked for death by hundreds of terrorist groups; he is in a foreign country, one where there have been near contintuous riots against America and against him, personally, over the Iraq War; as he's walking into a banquet hall, the local police intentionally cut him off from his security detail.

If the first thought that popped into your mind when you heard about that was not "assassination," then your mind is still laboring in a pre-9/11 world.

It's entirely possible that rather than "rescuing" his detained Secret Service detail, Bush in fact saved his own life. If there was a plan, if this wasn't just a random act of rudeness by the Chilean police (why would they do that?), then Bush's quick thinking may have forced the would-be attackers to abort the operation.

This little incident needs a thorough and complete investigation by Chile, as well as by the CIA. The incident the next day -- where the Bush team demanded everyone at the next banquet pass through metal detectors -- shows that they had the same thought I did (and we all should have had); the fact that Chile refused, even to the point of scuttling the party, is troubling, to say the least.

There are a lot of people out there who want to see George W. Bush dead; alas, there are a lot of heads of state who would not shed a tear. In this day and age, when armed local cops intentionally cut the president off from his security detail, that should be taken as no less a violent act that when an anti-aircraft missile battery "paints" an American plane with fire-control radar.

Schadow

I agree with this person 1000%. The whole thing stinks on ice. It smells like a set up to me. In my way of thinking there is only ONE reason why foreign police officers would want to separate the POTUS from his SS agents. Only ONE. So that someone can take a shot at him.

Can anyone think of another reason?
tony54
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Secret Service are ex Navy Seals, Green Baret, Marine Recon and so forth, they are America's best.
They never follow the President into a building to be ambushed.
I'm sure the lead tem got there hours before GW and had the whole area secured and another team was walking in with him and another team secured the otside, too
It was very brave of GW to do what he did, the metal detectors should have been used, but I know the bases were all covered.
Cazador
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear tony54,

Well, the point you make about the advance people being inside waiting for him to arrive is correct. The Secret Service are well prepared for this and that room was gone over with a fine-tooth comb.

As for all Agents being ex-SEALs or Green Berets, etc. I don't think that really is the case. The Presidential detail has ex-police officers and others who show the right stuff during their Secret Service careers. All are expert marksmen and are the best at what they do. Quite remarkable really when you think that their job is to take the bullet as a last resort. That means that they go to extraordinary lengths to prevent a problem.

I think the cancelation of the dinner was from the locals trying to play games with the Agent-in-Charge and his or her team. Something like, "Hey we don't need no stinking metal detectors".

I believe I read that there was tension all day long between the two groups and the Agent-in-Charge probably said, "Fine. No metal detectors, no dinner," to get back at them. Very Happy

One additional little factoid -- The head of the Secret Service is the only member of government that can countermand a direct order of the President if he/she feels the President's life might be in danger.

Truly a great bunch of people who serve.

Best,

Cazador
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cazador wrote:
One additional little factoid -- The head of the Secret Service is the only member of government that can countermand a direct order of the President if he/she feels the President's life might be in danger.

This provision was no more evident than on 9/11 when the Secret Service said to one and all, "POTUS is going to Barksdale until we can get things sorted out, period."

I've never gotten so much flak over anything as the accusations about the President "bugging out" from Florida to Shreveport instead of going directly to DC. Ignorance is bliss but still ignorance.

Schadow
Cazador
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schadow:

How's Huntsville these days?

I used to go there with my Dad when he taught calsses at Redstone and Marshall. That was some fun.

This was back in the early 80's.

Regards,

Cazador
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cazador wrote:
Schadow:

How's Huntsville these days?

I used to go there with my Dad when he taught calsses at Redstone and Marshall. That was some fun.

This was back in the early 80's.

Regards,

Cazador

Huntsville is very active these days. The Army Aviation Command relocated here from St. Louis a few years ago and that puts a lot of helicopters in the skies. Many comings and goings of C-130's, C-141's and Really Heavies hauling stuff to the Middle East.

Marshall is, well, Marshall. Struggling with getting Shuttle into reflight. Pesky things keep slipping the schedule like the Vertical Assembly Building at Kennedy being pretty badly torn up by hurricanes.

Housing is affordable, unleaded is $1.829, taxes are low and life is, on the whole, good.

Schadow
OLD_SALT
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wednesdaychild wrote:
Nice have a REAL MAN for prez , isn't it? Cool
those texas boys don't take anything off anyone

I can’t help thinking what the actions of kerry would have been in that situation.

First, he probably wouldn’t have noticed that his Agent was missing until Terezzza needed her drink refreshed, and didn’t have an Agent there to hand it to.

When he did see the scuffle, kerry would immediately call the UN and ask for permission to send someone in to negotiate.

Once this was taken care of in a diplomatic fashion, kerry would promptly chastize the Agent for being so rude to Chilean police.
MSeeger
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, even if there was a conspracy in the works, it wouldn't have made a regime change, if that's what they were hoping for. All that would have happened is that Vice President Cheney would have taken command and served out the term, just as LBJ did for JFK. And Mr. Cheney could then run for his own term, so that would solve nothing.

For sure, it wouldn't bring John Kerry into the picture, if that was the hope.

Maria

As for Texas Chili....cheese, onions, and NO BEANS!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: