SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ATTENTION VETS!!--"Debunking a spitting image"
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Returning from Vietnam in September of 1969, I wore my Marine uniform through LA International, on the plane, and in Dallas Love Field.

I may have received some looks( probably because I looked so good in uniform Wink ), but nobody spit.

I didn't think much about it at the time, but there's a good chance someone would have died or been severely mauled had I been spat upon. I was glad to be home but was probably still operating on a short fuse. Smile
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
Quote:
We returned home to an America that was indifferent, even hostile. There were no parades, only nightmares. Veterans were spat upon, called baby-killers, our uniforms themselves targeted us for ridicule from those who could never understand our pain

Great score Lew. It's astonishing how he so blithely ignores his and his ilk's culpability in creating an "America that was indifferent, even hostile."

Beatrice, Kate and NavyWife...another for the SVPT R&R archives.

(moving to main forum where this more rightfully resides)/me#1
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone that's interested there was a whole long thread on this same subject - instigated by the same author (Jerry Lembke) - late last year. (A search on his name will probably find that thread.)

The consensus was - if I recall - that there were some instances of spitting, but literally not that many that anyone could personally recall. But I think everyone agreed that the hostility and insults most encountered was every bit as bad.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anker, I posted this as an update because Lembcke and several other leftists are still claiming we made up the stories about spitting, mistreatment and such. One site even claimed it was us spitting on peaceful war protesters showing love and support for soldiers returning.

They are doing this to undermine support for the troops today, I feel. However, in this quest to brand all of us as liars, one of their own, their latest darling in fact, also says it happened.

Since the left feels sKerry is above reproach, his words can be used to counter some of the revisionist history coming from the left once again branding us the liars and the left as the peacemakers.
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you, Lew. I just think there's some good information and ammunition in that old thread.
mtboone
Founder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
Anker, I posted this as an update because Lembcke and several other leftists are still claiming we made up the stories about spitting, mistreatment and such. One site even claimed it was us spitting on peaceful war protesters showing love and support for soldiers returning.

They are doing this to undermine support for the troops today, I feel. However, in this quest to brand all of us as liars, one of their own, their latest darling in fact, also says it happened.

Since the left feels sKerry is above reproach, his words can be used to counter some of the revisionist history coming from the left once again branding us the liars and the left as the peacemakers.

I believe the media continues with this BS is because the media never reported it in the 60's or 70's and if you do not have documentation or proof then it never happened in their minds. Remember the book and movie "Catch 22"
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anker, maybe this is the thread you are thinking of?

http://www.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17147&highlight=lembcke
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
Ressurrecting this thread for the time being.

Since this canard about returning Vets not being spit on is still circulating, I did some more digging and couldn't believe what I stumbled across.

Quote:
We returned home to an America that was indifferent, even hostile. There were no parades, only nightmares. Veterans were spat upon, called baby-killers, our uniforms themselves targeted us for ridicule from those who could never understand our pain

I want to see the left now call this highly placed Democrat Senator a lair for this comment from 2001. If you haven't guessed yet, it was none other than John "F"in sKerry himself who wrote this in defense of his good friend, Bob Kerrey.

http://kerry.senate.gov/v3/cfm/record.cfm?id=180076&

It's located in about the middle of the article along with more of his usual litany of anti-war tripe.

Here's a lil something from Bob Kerrey himself
Quote:
Source
Let's present an excerpt from p. 232 of Bob Kerrey's new book, "When I Was A Young Man". The future Senator is describing an incident in 1969; he is in Philadelphia undergoing rehab with his prosthetic leg and the incident occurs at the Martin Luther King track meet at Villanova:

After the race I was taunted by a group of long-haired men who blocked the exit and knocked me to the ground as I pushed past them to leave.

Now, Kerrey does not say he was spat upon. However, this does not sound precisely like the Veterans outreach described by Lembcke. Of course, lacking a police report or a contemporaneous news account, Lembcke might just reassure us that this is just an invented memory.

Lembcke has such outstanding bleck credentials
A search at the Vietnam Veterans Against the War website (hot link purposefully omitted) will turn up a few hits , with this attribution after an article
Quote:
Jerry Lembcke is the author of "The Spitting Image: Myth, Memory, and the Legacy of Vietnam" (New York University Press, 1998). Jerry is the New England contact for VVAW. He is also an associate professor of sociology at Holy Cross College in Worcester, Massachusetts and can be reached at xxx-xxx-xxxx or jlembcke@holycross.edu.

saving a few of these quotable quotes for the archives
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fairly up-to-date bio on the good perfesser...

http://www.discoverthenetwork.org/individualProfile.asp?indid=1999
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lew: yep, you found the thread I was remembering

Me/You: Thanks for that link. It's an excellent summation of what I remember finding late last year.
Deuce
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GM,
I agree totally, and just had to add my tale, mate....the tales, the honest stories of honest men, have been my way to 'open my mind' to the possibility that the country has a chance yet to 'get it straight' for a change. I remain cynical (the 51-49 vote comes to mind) but hopeful. As an ex-Pennsylvanian, with my first connection to the Military, our UMass (I had a Box address in Gardner MA at the time, 1-2/69) squad in Boot Camp at Dix, our cadet Platoon Seargant was Greg Landry....thought I'd compare notes with yours. I can't match your dedication on getting the degree after the Army, tho. I had graduated by that time. On that score, I admire your dedication, at the same level I admire your service to your country.

As for my return to CONUS, I landed ,on a civilian charter, at Ft. Lewis. Within minutes of getting off the plane, a Customs Agent took the only [unopened] carton of Marlboros out of my opened duffel bag contents, broke it in half, and cut one of the packs in half. The carton wasn't for me, it was a birthday gift to my sister-in-law, (bout all I could afford at the time). It went downhill from there, tho' I don't remember many details, 'cause the hair on the back of my neck did a lot of my 'talking'. I (to the best of my knowledge) didn't see any spittle, literally, but lotsa rhetorical spittle on my return to PA (and for months thereafter). So started my 35 year silence on the subject. I think I figured if they said the protestors could be 'bad', the government was worse. But then I can honestly say that I had never been very impressed with gummint 'results' anyway. (present VA company & swifties, military, etc, excluded).

Thought I'd feel better after that......nope, still the same,
regards, and I'd enjoy comparing PA/MA notes someday with you over a beer!
Deuce

GM Strong wrote:
This guy has his head up his arse. When we came back from Korea in Sept 1969, sure, we flew on a civilian charter airliner and landed at McCord AFB, but after processing us right along with the returning VN guys, before being transported to SEATAC Airport, we were warned about protesters and not getting involved with them. We were told what to expect. They were there and there was tension all over but we avoided them. Fortunately we were able to stay with the USO till flight time and since mine was at 1AM, the place was pretty empty at that hour. I know of guys who ran the gauntlet but could not now tell you where they are. They would sure like to tell this clown a story or two.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: