SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Libby "guilty" on four of five counts
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deuce
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dusty,
I'm with you ... in a sense the more juries we serve on the more incredulous and jaded one can become. The hammer is the Judge's Charge, and the Nails are the jurors...
oh, and Tony, with all due respect, I'm thinkin' ya just might have contradicted yourself, unless I read you wrong...ya can't say that the Jurors are the Judge and all, then say:
Quote:
Jurors cannot be held accountable in any way.
While I tend to agree with some of what you're implying, an informed juror will want to hear an abstract of what the judge thinks his charge is before beginning to listen to testimony....and the judge should not change his charge during the trial as he is swayed by the winds or politics of the process. And fer dam|\| sure, a juror who is the twin brother of the 'eyewitnesses' should recuse himself!

And it sounds like we're all agreeing this will wind up in the Kangaroo Kourt Hall of Shame...

Deuce
Stevie
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
no-holds barred White House attack machine aimed at anyone who stood in the way of their march to war with Iraq

ah, sure John... Libby only 'misremembered' something...he didn't rewrite a bunch of Navy reports or forge anything... or stuff classified docs into his underwear....
be arrested, exiled or hanged.
Stevie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Our problem as a society is loss of faith in a creator and the lower moral compass which accompany it. There can be no man made law without God given natural law

so true GenrXr ! so true... and with those in education and public offices, it just gets worse... I am so shocked at stuff I read (msg board) by young women 20-40 today. I didn't think I'd been living that sheltered of a life... but I'm rethinking that now. The majority of these women have been in (or still are) college /university these past 20 yrs or so... the stuff they have been taught is beyond scary.
Stevie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have no confidence in the ability of the average person on the steet to have any common sense, intelligence or understanding whatsoever.
Makes it easy to understand how 1/3 of the people in this country believe our govt. planned 9/11.
My conclusion, a lot of people are complete and utter idiots. And the scary thing is....they can vote. And serve on juries.

I so have to agree with this! in those women on my msg board are doctors, lawyers, TEACHERS (some college/U level), etc. The worst part is most of them are MOTHERS! Good Lord ! They're raising up another generation of themselves!
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My heart and prayers go out to Scooter Libby and his family. Such a travesty!
As usual, Mark Steyn says it best:

Quote:
The prosecutor knew from the beginning that (a) leaking Valerie Plame's name was not a crime and (b) the guy who did it was Richard Armitage. In other words, he was aware that the public and media perception of this ''case'' was entirely wrong: There was no conspiracy by Bush ideologues to damage a whistleblower, only an anti-war official making an offhand remark to an anti-war reporter. Even the usual appeals to prosecutorial discretion (Libby was a peripheral figure with only he said/she said evidence in an investigation with no underlying crime) don't convey the scale of Fitzgerald's perversity: He knew, in fact, that there was no cloud, that under all the dark scudding about Rove and Cheney there was only sunny Richard Armitage blabbing away accidentally. Yet he chose to let the entirely false impression of his ''case'' sit out there month in, month out, year after year, glowering over the White House, doing great damage to the presidency on the critical issue of the day.

So much of the current degraded discourse on the war -- ''Bush lied'' -- comes from the false perceptions of the Joe Wilson Niger story. Britain's MI-6, the French, the Italians and most other functioning intelligence services believe Saddam was trying to procure uranium from Africa. Lord Butler's special investigation supports it. So does the Senate Intelligence Committee. So Wilson's original charge is if not false then at the very least unproven, and the conspiracy arising therefrom entirely nonexistent. But the damage inflicted by the cloud is real and lasting.

As for Scooter Libby, he faces up to 25 years in jail for the crime of failing to remember when he first heard the name of Valerie Plame -- whether by accident or intent no one can ever say for sure. But we also know that Joe Wilson failed to remember that his original briefing to the CIA after getting back from Niger was significantly different from the way he characterized it in his op-ed in the New York Times. We do know that the contemptible Armitage failed to come forward and clear the air as his colleagues were smeared for months on end. We do know that his boss Colin Powell sat by as the very character of the administration was corroded.

And we know that Patrick Fitzgerald knew all this and more as he frittered away the years, and the ''political blood lust'' (as National Review's Rich Lowry calls it) grew ever more disconnected from humdrum reality. The cloud over the White House is Fitzgerald's, and his closing remarks to the jury were highly revealing. If he dislikes Bush and Cheney and the Iraq war, whoopee: Run against them, or donate to the Democrats, or get a talk-radio show. Instead, he chose in full knowledge of the truth to maintain artificially a three-year cloud over the White House while the anti-Bush left frantically mistook its salivating for the first drops of a downpour. The result is the disgrace of Scooter Libby. Big deal. Patrick Fitzgerald's disgrace is the greater, and a huge victory not for justice or the law but for the criminalization of politics.

Perverse Libby trial was revealing
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: