SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Iran has seized 15 sailors
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reminded of a poster from the late 60s. Done up in the then popular Day-Glo colors it featured two buzzards on a branch looking over a barren landscape. The tagline was one bird telling the other, "Patience my a$$. I wanna kill something!"

I felt that way after spending most of '87 patrolling the Gulf and the Mighty Mo came on station. I feel that way now with two carrier groups limbered up and raring to go.

The thing is we don't really have to kill anyone. We can close the straights to the Iranis, seize their coastal and off shore oil and watch the lights go out. When our moonbats take to the streets in protest I could drive a truck for the Soylent Corp. I hear there's a shortage of pet food.

-Wlm Shakespeare
Snipe
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pet food? Moonbats have a lot of venom in them.
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I B Squidly wrote:
I'm reminded of a poster from the late 60s. Done up in the then popular Day-Glo colors it featured two buzzards on a branch looking over a barren landscape. The tagline was one bird telling the other, "Patience my a$$. I wanna kill something!"

I felt that way after spending most of '87 patrolling the Gulf and the Mighty Mo came on station. I feel that way now with two carrier groups limbered up and raring to go.

The thing is we don't really have to kill anyone. We can close the straights to the Iranis, seize their coastal and off shore oil and watch the lights go out. When our moonbats take to the streets in protest I could drive a truck for the Soylent Corp. I hear there's a shortage of pet food.

This course of action seconded. Smile
Fort Campbell
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you heard of this?

Quote:
The soldiers who were there still talk about the September 7 firefight on the Iran-Iraq border in whispers. At Forward Operating Base Warhorse, the main U.S. military outpost in Iraq's eastern Diyala Province bordering Iran, U.S. troops recount events reluctantly, offering details only on condition that they remain nameless. Everyone seems to sense the possible consequences of revealing that a clash between U.S. and Iranian forces had turned deadly. And although the Pentagon has acknowledged that a firefight took place, it says it cannot say anything more. "For that level of detail, you're going to have to ask the [U.S.] military in Baghdad," says Army Lieut. Col. Mark Ballesteros. "We don't know anything about it."

Many Iranians and others in the Gulf think so, says Robert Baer, and Washington is doing little to allay those fears
A short Army press release issued on the day of the skirmish offered the following information: U.S. soldiers from the 5th Squadron 73rd Cavalry 82nd Airborne were accompanying Iraqi forces on a routine joint patrol along the border with Iran, about 75 miles east of Baghdad, when they spotted two Iranian soldiers retreating from Iraqi territory back into Iran. A moment later, U.S. and Iraqi forces came upon a third Iranian soldier on the Iraqi side of the border, who stood his ground. As U.S. and Iraqi soldiers approached the Iranian officer and began speaking with him, a platoon of Iranian soldiers appeared and moved to surround the coalition patrol, taking up positions on high ground. At that point, according to the Army's statement, the Iranian captain told the U.S. and Iraqi soldiers that if they tried to leave they would be fired on. Fearing abduction by the Iranians, U.S. troops moved to go anyway, and fighting broke out. Army officials say the Iranian troops fired first with small arms and rocket-propelled grenades, and that U.S. troops fell further back into Iraqi territory, while four Iraqi army soldiers, one interpreter and one Iraqi border guard remained in the hands of the Iranians.

The official release says there were no casualties among the Americans, and makes no mention of any on the Iranian side. U.S. soldiers present at the firefight, however, tell TIME that American forces killed at least one Iranian soldier who had been aiming a rocket-propelled grenade at their convoy of Humvees.

The revelation comes amid rising tensions over the past week since Iran captured 15 British Navy personnel in waters between Iran and Iraq. Analysts have suggested that some Iranian officials have argued against speedily returning the Brits, preferring to use them as a bargaining chip in Tehran's efforts to free five of its own officials captured by the U.S. in Erbil earlier this year. News that an Iranian soldier had been killed in a clash with American forces would do little to ease those tensions.

In the months after the incident, U.S. forces have kept up joint patrols on the Iran-Iraq border, where their movements are closely monitored by Iranian outposts. Increasingly, however, U.S. troops stationed in Diyala Province are moving to help counter-insurgency efforts in the Baqubah area, leaving a thinner American presence at the border. On some days, says Lt. Col. Ronald Ward, the U.S. commander tasked with helping Iraqi units maintain border security in the area, no U.S. troops appear there at all.

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1605487,00.html
Stevie
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we should ship some citizens over to put their mouths where their mouths are.... Babs, Rosie, Penn, Baldwin etc...

they should be willing to trade themselves for the Brits...
after all ... the terrorists (ninniejihad) are just 'moms and dads' - so
they should be able to negotiate with 'em...
be arrested, exiled or hanged.
Bob51
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fort Campbell wrote:
Have you heard of this?

It was mentioned in today's Sunday Times.

Quote:
Several months before the current hostage crisis a small group of American and Iraqi soldiers had been patrolling near the Iranian border 75 miles east of Baghdad.

They spotted a single Iranian soldier lurking in Iraqi territory near the town of Balad Ruz and moved forward to question him. The Americans were, according to a US army report obtained by The Sunday Times, promptly ambushed by a much larger platoon of Iranian soldiers who had been hiding across the nearby border.

An Iranian captain warned the Americans that “if they tried to leave their location, the Iranians would fire upon them”. For a few moments the US paratroopers must have felt as helpless as the British sailors in inflatable speedboats who were surprised 10 days ago by more heavily armed Iranian vessels.

The US incident last September ended very differently. Firing broke out. Both sides scattered and a potential hostage crisis was averted as the Americans escaped unhurt.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/middle_east/article1596816.ece
FreeFall
LCDR

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So did the USA sending the USS Nimitz into that area have something to do with the release of the 15 hostages? N ewsmax thinks so:

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2007/4/4/124020.shtml?s=al&promo_code=3143-1

Quote:
But as Britain refused to apologize for the behavior of its boarding party, continuing to insist that they were operating in Iraqi waters – not inside Iran's territorial waters, as Tehran alleged – some of Khamenei's advisers began to have second thoughts.

Adding to those doubts were reports that the USS Nimitz was steaming toward the Persian Gulf – making it the third Carrier Strike Group in the area.

The Nimitz is expected to join the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower and the USS John C. Stennis, both currently in the Persian Gulf, in the coming weeks.

and

Quote:
On Friday, March 30, Khamenei's top advisers met in an emergency session of the Supreme Council on National Security, chaired by Ali Larijani. Larijani is the regime's top nuclear negotiator, and is a confidant of the Supreme Leader, while maintaining close ties to President Ahmadinejad.

At that meeting, Revolutionary Guards commander Maj. Gen. Rahim Safavi reported that the deployment of the Nimitz suggested that a U.S. military invasion of Iran was being prepared for early May. He urged the Council to order the release of the British hostages as a gesture to defuse the tension in the region.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: