SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When al Queda attacks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spudhorse
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you'all are right. I swing from thinking the country rallies around the President to thinking that the election swings to Kerry. My scenario of doom for the Kerry win is that the election is delayed for a period of time and we are inundated with "how George Bush has failed", "what George Bush knew or should have known", "why all of the countries who wouldn't join us in Iraq were right all along", etc., etc., etc.

Hopefully, time will not tell.
Rich
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A "Russia type" attack on a soft target would enrage Americans to no end. There would be no aregument that we "stirred things up in Iraq to bring on such an attack" because these animals had already slaughtered 3,000 innocents in 2001.

Dont underestimate these goat herders were up against. They are intelligent,subtle, and most of all patient. They will quite possibly see that such an attack will only strengthen Bush and thus might opt to delay it. In my opinion such an attack will only strengthen Bush.

I am extremly concerned over the danger to innocents. Unfortunately I have enough knowledge to understand the danger we are truly in. A Police Officer,soldier,sailor,airman, or marine dieing in a war on terror is "acceptable losses". Civilians dieing isnt! We chose our lives and with it the dangers that come with it.

Im most of all concerned over soft targets. We have millions of trained military veterans, retired cops, skilled citizens...ect and In my opinion we still havnt harnessed this resource enough. Instead the 2nd amendment is being attacked and the ACLU is setting up hotlines to mess with the FBI.

And I certainly dont need to remind this crowd of the danger a trained team of terrorists, with squad weapons, schooled in sound infantry tactics, would be against a soft target. Heck they might even be effective against a hard one!

Just look at the hard time Columbine CO. PD had with two nitwit kids, with marginal weapons, securing that school? Or even the difficulty a relativily highly trained PD, like LAPD, had with two bank robbers who had no idea how to move tactically. They just walked down the street shooting and having a good time. Now imagine a "ranger" or "SF" level team moving against a civilian objective using sound tactics???????

But Im an alarmist right? Well so was Winston Churchill! And in my opinion were not ready! But hey! Im just a dumb uneducated beat cop................................Rich
CTW
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich, And those snipers in the VA, Md area? What a horrible time that was. Ready? Can you ever be ready for absolute insanity, pure evil? Breslen should wake everybody up. The terrorists have carried out attacks oversees and then shortly there after here. They cased out Charlotte NC. and where else I wonder?
I am not a pessimist by any measure but 911 made me a realist. It's not over. So we just go on and defy them by living our lives and enjoying our freedoms. We depend on our police officers, EMS, firefighters, military and our leaders to help protect us more than ever these days. Thank you all. CTW

Never Ever Kerry
300zxuser
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:07 am    Post subject: Counterterrorism & You Reply with quote

I for one, having been an investigator for 34 years specializing in surveillance, have this uncanny ability to be aware of my surroundings wherever I go. I think each and every one of us can stand to use a little guidance in that area. Going about our lives has drastically changed since 9/11 and a lot of us are not taking a personal stand on this. So while your pondering this statement, let me give you an example.
You pull up to an intersection that has two cars in front of you at a red light. Do you ever consider how far you should be from this car in front of you? Not many people give this much thought, but it is one of many things one can do to protect themselves, be it a terrorist or hijacker. Well you are about 2-3 feet from the bumper of the car in front of you. (MOST of you) Rarely do you see a car 1/2 car length to a full car length behind you. Why? How is your escape route? Do you have one? If someone sticks a gun in your face, do you give the car and possibly your kid to the person in front of you? Think of what most people would do, then do the opposite! If you have the room, go around the car in front of you, go over the median, over the side walk, but get the hell out of there. Who ever has the gun will be startled, but you will have your life. Give yourself an escape route. Don't get caught stuck behind someone because you are mating with the guys bumper in front of you. Think about it and where you actually stop your vehicle. YOU are the most important person you know. Why place your self in harms way. THis is but one of many ideas on how to prevent yourself from becoming a victum. Think it is silly? Think about that when you pull up to that intersection. How about the lane you should be in. Etc, etc, etc. Our military, police, and all the other people who protect us are not going to be there at that particular moment. (You see road rage, and say to yourself, hmmm, never a cop around when you need one) Right? Don't leave national security to those in the past who have grilled into your head you are protected. You most often will have the responsibility of protecting yourself. Not a pessamist, (sp) but a realist. I get nervous in a large crowd. NOW most people know why. In the past I would have been called paranoid, today who wants to cluster to give anyone a target. Get real people. Pay attention to those around you. Live your life, yes, but pay attention and stay out of harms way. Maybe I should write a book on counterterrorism so people would see what simple things we do on a daily basis makes us so vulnerable. Food for thought. Bush will win, there may be another O.K.C. bombing or columbine, but whatever happens, we as a country and a people will deal with it. We had become complacent for many years and when something happens we are outraged. "HOW could they do that to the U.S." Well, they, have and they, will. To what scale is up to us as a people. Be alert, be aware, vote for Bush. A strong proven leader. Oh, one more thing. Read about the Russian disaster with their terrorism? They have been talking pre-emptive strikes. I guess we are not alone with that thought process.
wwIIvetsdaughter
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunatley, should an Islamofascist attack be thwarted, the public will never know and liberals decry the raised threat level as a Bush trick to install fear in the public.

Now should (God Forbid!) something happens, in my heart I do believe Americans will pull together (witness 9/11) and any other disaster, human or man-made. We are not a nation of Euro-weines like the Spanish. Twisted Evil
lrb111
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:41 am    Post subject: preprared?? hardly... Reply with quote

We had a bomb threat in my little burg today. Oddly the threat was called into a radio station in Dallas, and they forwarded it to the local police.

It was a threat to "a downtown parking garage". Police roped off the areas around the three parking garages, a 10 story bank was emptied.
Two of the parking garages were attached to the biggest local hospital.
It turned out to be a false alarm.

The kicker though is that there was only one tv station even warning the public. I was listening to news/talk radio and never heard a thing.
We have 6 local tv stations and only one reported it, as it was going on.
We have 16 radio stations, but one would figure for news, that one of the 3 news/talk stations would have at least mentioned it. nope...

Now if a legitimate van full of explosives had gone off in one of those parking garages, on about the 4th level, so that it had a level above it to contain/force the blast sideways like a claymore. It would have looked liked the Ok City blast, but on a 10 story hospital.

Are we ready, prepared, or aware??? Not in the least...
300zxuser
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, sensationalism is what counts. Are we ready,
not even, we could get close to being ready if all of us took this terrorism more seriously.
Scott
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: Counterterrorism & You Reply with quote

300zxuser wrote:
You pull up to an intersection that has two cars in front of you at a red light. Do you ever consider how far you should be from this car in front of you? Not many people give this much thought, but it is one of many things one can do to protect themselves, be it a terrorist or hijacker. Well you are about 2-3 feet from the bumper of the car in front of you. (MOST of you) Rarely do you see a car 1/2 car length to a full car length behind you. Why? How is your escape route? Do you have one? If someone sticks a gun in your face, do you give the car and possibly your kid to the person in front of you?

Good advice. My mother worked at the teaching hospital in Newark, NJ, and was the victim of an attempted carjacking. She had enough room between her car and the one in front to drive across the sidewalk and turn right, avoiding the man who was trying to yank the driver's side door open.

It's called "situational awareness."
Paul Woll
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CandiM,
They will attack. I personally bet the chances are 90% or greater. I believe it will definitely happen the week before the election. But, you are correct in that it is a matter of when and what they will do. This was EXACTLY Dick Cheney's point in his comment that the MSM distorted to no end. If Kerry is in office WHEN they attack, the danger to America is that we will have the same Clintonian policy of inaction and cowtowing to the impotent and biased United Nations.

I believe that if it does happen, we will have a rally around the flag in the US which will help Bush. If it doesn't happen, then it could only be because of the intelligence changes that have been put into effect since 9/11. The amazing thing is that we haven't been attacked yet.
300zxuser
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scott, nothing like experience for a testimony!
Be alert, be aware. Mom probably didn't know it, but she did everything right!
CTW
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob: Thanks for your post. Having lived in S. FL during the days of the Cocaine Cowboys, the Mariel Refugee Boat Lift, and then just the day to day craziness in Miami (carjackings, driveway attacks, etc) you learn about situational awareness. I always taught my children when they learned to drive to have a way out for the exact reasons you stated. We have all had the windshield washer approach and the panhandler, and it's not comfortable and now days you can't take any chances. We always had to be aware if a car was following us home from the store and not turn into our drive if an unfamiliar car was behind us. So keep raising our awareness so we can help ourselves. Know the trucks that should or should not be parked near your home, your child's school, the store etc. (Being in Tally near Jeb it's a little concerning now.) Thanks again. CTW

Never Ever Kerry
300zxuser
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTW, You're welcome. Having followed 1/2 as many people as we have surveilled, I can tell you we conducted many, many types of tailing proceedures. When one unit was "made" we attempted to use two vans.
If the case was important enough as many as four vehicles were employed. But understand, we did this for a living (fraud investigations) and not for unlawful purposes. 98% of the people who are not trained in following techniques usually blow what they are trying to accomplish. i.e. Every once in a while we'd get a male/female wanting us to follow their spouse. We'd tell them our rate and never hear from them for several weeks. (They tried it on their own and got busted) But with regard to your case or any case of being followed home, never go there is correct . TO determine if you are actually being followed we use the right turn method. Drive as you normally would and then make a series of two (2) right turns. (It can be anywhere) but they should be in succession. If they continue following, slow down and let them see you watching them, pick up a cell phone as if you were calling police. Almost all of the time they will break off. Unless of course they ARE the police. Then you probably are in trouble anyway! Please note that if they really want you there is almost nothing they won't try. I remember we followed this one guy and got busted everytime we went out, regardless the number of vehicles. Then we employed the stationary unit. We parked a car 3-4 houses away with a camera in the grill of the car and remotely turned on the real time vcr in the trunk. Left the vehicle there 2 days and we got on film what we were looking for. He was never the wiser.
As you say, Never ever Kerry!
Semper Fi
tony54
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 15 yr old son in high school,
if something like columbine were to happen there and the cops sat
outside while 2 thugs were inside killing kids for 5 or 6 hours,
those cops would have to kill me to keep me from going in and saving my
son or dying in the process.
In this country we have a second amendment (that democrats are trying to erode) and it's not for hunting ducks, we are ultimately reponsible for our own safety, (as a last resort)

"those who turn their swords into plowshares will plow for those who keep theirs" --ben franklin--
Rich
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tony54 wrote:
I have a 15 yr old son in high school,
if something like columbine were to happen there and the cops sat
outside while 2 thugs were inside killing kids for 5 or 6 hours,
those cops would have to kill me to keep me from going in and saving my
son or dying in the process.
In this country we have a second amendment (that democrats are trying to erode) and it's not for hunting ducks, we are ultimately reponsible for our own safety, (as a last resort)

"those who turn their swords into plowshares will plow for those who keep theirs" --ben franklin--

That was a collosal screwup. Its didnt help that so many Dept.,s were involved, different radio freq's, and to many bosses. Also in all fariness there were hundreds of cell calls coming from inside that school and no-one had a clear picture what was going on.

Be that as it may, where I work were used to gunfire, and we would flood a school like that with a sea of blue and go after the shooters. Ive seen it done...............Rich
FreeFall
LCDR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this over at the Siteinstitute.org. The lady that runs it, Rita Katz, had a relative killed by Hussein and she eventually immigrated over here.

She just put out an update on what the terrorist are up to, using information found on computer hard drives, etc.

This is an 11 page PDF file, pretty interesting.

http://siteinstitute.org/terrorismlibrary/charts_maps/charts_maps_1094695112.pdf

They are trying to go after our financial sector, oil sector (oil pipelines) and worldwide organizations. This is on page 4 of the PDF file.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: