SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will the Swift Vets Speak at RNC ? THEY SHOULD !
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IamHG wrote:
I think it might be helpful for [GW] to take this opportunity to focus the country on his senate voting record. The two messages compliment each other perfectly. [Kerry] is anti-defence, anti-intel community, anti national security.

I'm waiting...
Theresa Alwood
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the swiftvets should not be at the RNC...But they could invite some of us "other" vets and we would be glad to stand side by side with President Bush and say we support him!!! Very Happy

But we must remember the republicans the the democrats have different standards...why the republicans expect you to be accountable (remember Trent Lott, Newt Gingrich, Richard Nixon, Col. Oliver North) the democrats do not (John Kerry, Bill Clinton, Teddy Kennedy, Sandy Berger).

It is the MSM who is not going to give Rudy Guiliani any air time and I believe the other is John McCain....but we still have Zell Miller giving a speech....

but the GOP just needs to ask me to stand on stage and I'll be there with my combats boots on and I still have them.
ArmyWife
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: Will the Swift Vets Speak at RNC ? THEY SHOULD ! Reply with quote

goswiftsgo wrote:
Everyone will be watching. This would be the best time to show the commercials !!! Right before some of the generals supporting Bush speak !!! Wow, that would be beautiful !

I'm not so sure that you are going to see any generals supporting Bush speak, like the line up that you saw at the Democratic Nat'l Convention. If you do see any, the word "retired" will be emphasized.

Military commissioned officers are not allowed to use their rank for political purposes. Some suffered harsh penalties for speaking out against Clinton only a few years ago. Obviously, retired officers and off-duty Nat'l Guard and Reserve officers can be involved in politics, but they don't usually use their rank. Instead of "Captain John Doe" they will usually chose to print on their campaign literature something more like, "John Doe, who is a retired Navy Captain..." I know there's bit of nuance there, but it matters. There are some politicians who serve in the Army Reserve that you wouldn't even know about without some digging, because they don't even mention it to avoid any perception of misuse.

Some commissioned officers watched that introduction of retired Generals at the Democrat Nat'l Convention and felt that it was inappropriate. It was clear that they were up there not because they are prominent citizens, but because they had high military rank to lend to the cause.

I truly hope that the Bush campaign does NOT do the same. I know that Scott O'Grady is making campaign appearances for Bush and I hope they are careful. Most of the populace would probably never notice these things, but at my house we just cringe when we hear this stuff on TV.
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4moreyears wrote:
Let history record that Michael Moore-on went to the DNC. That speaks volumns.

SBVFT's agenda is to stop kerry from ascending to CiC status The RNC can get along next week with out the swifties stealing the lime light.

... and I, for one, would not want to see the "volumes" spoken about SBVFT's presence there, either.
ArmyWife
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lays it all out better than I could:

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/militarylaw1/a/milpolitics.htm

It explains Federal law and regulations about what officers can and cannot do in politics.
rparrott21
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I am not mistaken he worked for Jimmy Carter....
ArmyWife
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rparrott21 wrote:
If I am not mistaken he worked for Jimmy Carter....

Who? Chris Matthews? He worked for Tip O'Neil.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: