SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mr. Vietnam Veteran,
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Mr. Vietnam Veteran, Reply with quote

Michael B. Smith wrote:
"Well, Mr. Smith, ... Therefor, I sincerely doubt that such things were said to you by the people you indicate."

So now I am a liar as well????

Determined to remain obtuse?

He wasn't talking to you - he was talking about some of the people who came home from Vietnam with big stories to make themselves important and strange and sometimes... to make excuses for behaviors that they personally chose not to control.

Nobody is denying that atrocities occurred, if you're paying attention.

I've given you some very good advice - I hope you'll follow it.
roughfun
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, my unit has an unspoken code, kinda like the Vegas ad, certain things that happened over there will stay over there. We are not in the business of making heroes of ourselves our trying to destroy other Vets by calling them war criminal. Have you never read Homer? Nothing has changed in war and never will. I couldnt see how you could have been in the military and not understand you dont come home while a war is raging and stab your fellow Vets in the back call them war criminals but assign yourself the status of war hero of a war you were against. Got it! Semper Fi.
Michael B. Smith
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Who is lying Reply with quote

[quote="Sgt-Keeper"]Michael, I am glad you are interested in looking for the truth.

Thank you so much! that's all I want - I didn't expect that my question would elicit some (frankly) offensive responses. I fugured that this would be the place to seek out Vetans who did indeed serve in Vietnam and would give me the frank and IMPARTIAL views. You sir, have done so - an I sincerely thank you.

I will seek out the book you mention and read it. Kerry will not get my vote. But for me, as a 41 year old man (and vet - although no combat while I served) he will not earn my vote because of his Senate record.

Now - let me ask - seriously - are you not concerned that in a climate that seems to me to be very devisive and hateful in our divided country that this debate in society at large could rip us apart? didn't it rip us apart in the late 60's and early 70's? I can't remember as I was to busy playing with my GI Joes and being a kid. Afterwards - I suppose the history books I remember already had a slanted view that frankly supports what Kerry said to some degree. after that - I never had much desire to study the issue - that is until now.

again - thank you.
HOV1
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest you go to http://www.stolenhonor.com/index.asp and see what the NVA did with the testimony provided by Kerry. The small sample of footage from their documentary is sobering to say the least. When you put on the uniform, you take on an obligation to support your brothers. When I was in the Navy, if a shipmate got into trouble, you dove in to help... even if you hated the SOB.. He was your shipmate. John Kerry turned his back on his shipmates and never blinked. His testimony and subsequent collusion with the North Vietnamese was responsibe for a prolongation of the war and added to the names on the wall.

There is a reason that Kerry's picture is on the wall of a museum in Vietnam honoring his "contribution" to the communist victory.

HOV1
Michael B. Smith
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="roughfun"]Mike, my unit has an unspoken code, kinda like the Vegas ad, certain things that happened over there will stay over there.

And I totally understand that - and yes - as a veteran myself - I would never speak ill of my fellow vets. Thankfully - vets of my time (82-8Cool never saw combat - oh except Grenada, but that hardly counts as a Vietnam sized conflict.

I reckon I am confused, because, I have heard opposing arguements from vets about just what happened over there. Again - I am not saying one group is lying and the other isn't. Just don't understand how there can be such huge differences.

sincerely
air_vet
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Who is lying Reply with quote

Michael B. Smith wrote:
Now - let me ask - seriously - are you not concerned that in a climate that seems to me to be very devisive and hateful in our divided country that this debate in society at large could rip us apart?

No, the discussion is long ovedue.

Michael B. Smith wrote:
Didn't it rip us apart in the late 60's and early 70's?

Only because only one side was able to tell the story. I lived through the one-sided story telling when I was back in graduate school in '69-'71. I want MY side of the story told!
AMOS
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: Talked and saw. Reply with quote

Mike, most vets who talk the most about war, saw the least, if any. Simple story. I don't talk about it with anyone. They can't relate. Oh, maybe with another vet from same war and someone that I served with there, very possibly. Something like, "Remember the time.....................?" But, nephew, brother, children, signif. other or? Nope. I had just all but forgot about it until Dumbo Kerry acts stupid (again). Except for the occasional dream I'm told I have and of which I remember nothing. Now I'm all p*ssed off again.

And it's not just Dumbo that's making stuff up. Rassmann's a liar, too.
Michael B. Smith
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Who is lying Reply with quote

air_vet wrote:
Michael B. Smith wrote:
Now - let me ask - seriously - are you not concerned that in a climate that seems to me to be very devisive and hateful in our divided country that this debate in society at large could rip us apart?

No, the discussion is long ovedue.

Michael B. Smith wrote:
Didn't it rip us apart in the late 60's and early 70's?

Only because only one side was able to tell the story. I lived through the one-sided story telling when I was back in graduate school in '69-'71. I want MY side of the story told!

I respect that - but it seems a little scary to me! In fact - youmay say that other than seeking inpout today here on this message board, I am turning off the TV and forgetting about this election until November. It has degenrated into something that has completely turned me (as a voter) off. I think, I'm not alone and I wonder how many people my age and younger feel the same - I am certainly no exception to middle America!
Michael B. Smith
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Talked and saw. Reply with quote

AMOS wrote:
Mike, most vets who talk the most about war, saw the least, if any. Simple story. I don't talk about it with anyone. They can't relate. Oh, maybe with another vet from same war and someone that I served with there, very possibly. Something like, "Remember the time.....................?" But, nephew, brother, children, signif. other or? Nope. I had just all but forgot about it until Dumbo Kerry acts stupid (again). Except for the occasional dream I'm told I have and of which I remember nothing. Now I'm all p*ssed off again.

Thank you for your service over there.

Do you think that perhaps the problem today is that none of you Vietnam vets wanted to talk about it then? [That was not intended to be a smart ass response but rather a serious question.]
baldeagl
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Michael, let's put it like this. Some of the "Kerry vets" are telling the truth as they remember it. Some of them are exaggerating. And some of them are outright lying.

For example, David Alston spoke at the DNC and told the story of Kerry's Silver Medal, which he won for action that occurred on 28 Feb 69. At the time of that incident, David Alston was still recuperating from a severe head wound suffered on 29 Jan 69. Furthermore, we have photographs of the five crew members who were on the boat that day because all of them received medals for that action. Alston isn't in those photographs, his replacement, Fred Short, is.

I'll let you decide if Alston lied or not.

Fred Short has told a story about an action he was involved in where "800 to 900" men died. The record for deaths in one day in Vietnam is about 300. The entire deaths for the US Navy that year was 42 if I recall correctly.

I'll let you decide if Short has exaggerated or not.

Rassmann, the Green Beret officer who Kerry pulled from the water on 13 Mar 69 has been quoted in the press on numerous occasions, telling the story of 13 Mar 69. In those interviews he has placed himself on four different boats. In addition, he has described the hostiile fire that day as "small arms and automatic weapons", "artillery" and "B-40 rockets" in separate interviews.

I'll let you decide if Rassmann is confused or not.

Another of Kerry's "crewmates", Jim McDevitt, introduced at the DNC and on their website as "a Swift boat crewmate", is a US Marine who met Kerry in 1972 when he was in a hospital here in the US recovering from wounds suffered in combat.

I'll let you decide if Kerry and the DNC were lying about that.

I could go on, but that's up to you.
Sgt-Keeper
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: problem today is that... Reply with quote

Mike,
I had 2 uncles in WWll, Germany, Italy, et all, and a father-in-law in WWll in the Pacific. None of them told war stories, even when the 4 of us were alone. We shared some fun and funny times, but we had no need to talk about the bad times. And, most of us still don't have that need. Remember what I said about the arm-chair-heros, the media and Hollywood. Good stories only. Truth is a secondary consideration.
As far as a country being divided? Yes, to a certain extent it is. But most of it is played up by the media, looking for a story, and Hollywood, for entertainment purposes only, not truth.
It is certainly not the goal of VN vets to divide the country. All I have seen is a concentrated effort to bring truth to 30+ years of lies. This has been accomplished by the SBVs.
baldeagl
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Talked and saw. Reply with quote

Michael B. Smith wrote:
AMOS wrote:

Thank you for your service over there.

Do you think that perhaps the problem today is that none of you Vietnam vets wanted to talk about it then? [That was not intended to be a smart ass response but rather a serious question.]

It's not a dumb question, and it deserves an honest response. We weren't allowed to talk about it. The accepted wisdom was that we were all baby killers, thanks to John Kerry and Hanoi Jane, and there was nothing left to talk about. We've lived with that lie, and we've moved on.

Then John Kerry comes blowing in like he's some big Vietnam war hero, bedecked with medals, and we all remember him calling us baby killers. We had to shut up and take it back in the 70's because the country was convinced it was true. We ain't goinna shut up now. You start a fight, you damn sure better be willing to finish it.

John started it. We'll finish it.
Michael B. Smith
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: problem today is that... Reply with quote

I reckon I can appriciate that sgt_keeper. Never having been in combat (thankfully) I would not know. And my first post was not menat to insult the Swiftvets. Like I said - I defend their right to do this - off subject - one of the things (besides amnesty for wets) that really irritates me about our President is this talk of suing 527's to stop them. I am a free market guy - I think this is a direct assault on our 1st amendment right. But anyway - I am truely concerned about the direction of our country. I know it is hyped up by the media, but as I read various message boards and listen to various talking heads, they all seem hateful and intolerant of differeing opinions (except ORielly who I really like). But Coulter and Hannity, to me, are birds of a feather with Michael Moore and Al Franken. And it's just getting disgusting.

Perhaps this needs to be talked about and then perhaps the wounds can heal.

As for the other fellow who responded before you - thank you for your response - that was informative - I did not know those things, nor have I seen them on otherwise right wing talk shows, of which I generally listen.
Michael B. Smith
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Talked and saw. Reply with quote

It's not a dumb question, and it deserves an honest response. We weren't allowed to talk about it. The accepted wisdom was that we were all baby killers, thanks to John Kerry and Hanoi Jane, and there was nothing left to talk about. We've lived with that lie, and we've moved on.

Then John Kerry comes blowing in like he's some big Vietnam war hero, bedecked with medals, and we all remember him calling us baby killers. We had to shut up and take it back in the 70's because the country was convinced it was true. We ain't goinna shut up now. You start a fight, you damn sure better be willing to finish it.

John started it. We'll finish it.[/quote]

Then more power to you! As I just said to Sgt_keeper - perhaps it will allow the wounds to REALLY heal our country.
air_vet
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Talked and saw. Reply with quote

Michael B. Smith wrote:
Do you think that perhaps the problem today is that none of you Vietnam vets wanted to talk about it then?

We had NOBODY to talk to - the VVAW and others in the "anti-war" movement had poisoned American minds for years - with the willing support of the MSM.

I was in-country in '67 and as I have said elsewhere, back in graduate school in '69 - '71. The "anti-war" movement on campus had the MSM eating out of their hands.

I once tried to have a reasonable discussion with one of the VVAW demonstrators who basically told me "we don't believe in war and are willing to kill those who disagree with us" - only he used the foulest language you can imagine.

The truth that was suppressed by the mobs and MSM then NEEDS to be told!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: