SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Time to clean up our acts!!!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craig

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: RULES OF ENGAGEMENT for this board Reply with quote

stop kerry wrote:
To remove the PAID FLAMING TROLLS from Kerryland just say NO diatribes for anyone is allowed against others on any of the Boards-- period. On the outside board take the obvious trouble makers OFF -make it retroactive for some if necessary.
Have delayed response time required and a group to review and stop

First everyone should be made to fill out their PROFILE to the administrator = who, when, where, what etc.

WHO are you

When were you in the military -Name, rank, unit(s), stationed, battle Yes/no? years in service regular or reserve.???

Where are you email address, state, city? etc.

What do you do now???

Please notice I don't care what Party or candidate you support because I believe real vets can still talk to each other fairly but opinions given with quotes and sources shoud be limited- not 5-10 page articles-who has time to read them?? Unlike the PAID TROLLS most of us have a life other than sending Flaming emails. However I cannot resist a quote I just saw from Kerry today: I love the first sentence It really makes me remember why you have this site - Kerry's hypocricy must be exposed Mad

"The first definition of patriotism is to keep faith with those who have worn the uniform of the United States,'' Kerry said in remarks prepared for delivery at the rally. ``And the first duty of a commander in chief is to make America strong and keep Americans safe. It's time to do what it takes to build an America that is respected in the world once more.''
Yada Yada Yada Smile Smile

Does the thing about "PAID TROLLS" apply to RNC shills as well?
I sure don't know how you would discover any of either sort.
I'd give more stuff to Administrator if he wanted it.
I am curious who you would nominate to be members of the "a group to review and stop" - I have sure seen some would-be volunteers who would have this place cleaned up in a jiffy.
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chraig,

So which definition of shill are you using in your comparative statement?

Quote:
Main Entry: 3shill Pronunciation Guide
Pronunciation: "
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): -s
Etymology: probably short for shillaber
: one who acts as a decoy or steerer: as a : one who is employed by an amusement enterprise (as a circus or carnival) to get the sale of tickets started after the barker has finished his spiel b : one who is employed by a pitchman to pose as a member of the audience and make the first purchase c : one who is employed by a gambling house to pose as a customer and keep action going d : one who poses as an innocent bystander to help a confidence man win over a prospective victim

Craig

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ASPB wrote:
Chraig,

So which definition of shill are you using in your comparative statement?

Quote:
Main Entry: 3shill Pronunciation Guide
Pronunciation: "
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): -s
Etymology: probably short for shillaber
: one who acts as a decoy or steerer: as a : one who is employed by an amusement enterprise (as a circus or carnival) to get the sale of tickets started after the barker has finished his spiel b : one who is employed by a pitchman to pose as a member of the audience and make the first purchase c : one who is employed by a gambling house to pose as a customer and keep action going d : one who poses as an innocent bystander to help a confidence man win over a prospective victim

For the most part I use dictionary more as a guideline. Seems that most folks do. I have known some sticklers for exact definitions. - Damn! You reminded me of someone I have not thought of in a long time. There was a couple with two kids living at home - their own children. Other than for Meathead they were a real parallel to Archie Bunker. The daddy even about O'Connor stature. But he was a left wing bigot who was a real stickler for correcting folks to exact definitions. Real mirror image opposite/same to Archie in a lot of ways.

Shill? I pretty much meant same as what someone said about paid person. I'd actually think it more likely that RNC or "right" would have such here than DNC - or whatever factions of either.
This place does not need any paid to disrupt and I don't see how it would be beneficial or worth the effort.

I think in a group like this there is a number of things make for difficulty in reasonable exchange. There is all sorts of trolls.
I used to post to alt.law.enforcement and there was some cops and claim-to-be who just had hardon for me because I am pretty open about my unlawful - criminal - activity and what I did do and what I did not do.
Well check myself on getting into that right now.
Okay - anyone who might post a thing there that seemed critical at all of a cop would be met with "the usual crew" who would accuse them of being cop basher and troll and all sort of nasty ****. Of course there were an number of just cop haters. I was accused of being such, of course. - Well, I could write a lot of description but will try to keep short.
Sometimes I would get into some interesting exchange with one of the sane cops and the nutcase authoritarian whatever would jump right in to disrupt with some BS .... Well, a lot of same I see go on here.
I'd see the more level headed cops come and go. One cop even got accused of being a cop basher for sake of not agreeing with one of the bigot cops before the bigot knew the guy was a cop.
A lot of the more level headed cop folks who would come I think would leave again more on account of their bigot peers than for sake of the cop bashers.
I gave up after awhile and just argued and taunted for sport with the bigots while I might get into some private email with the occasional cop and have some mutually valuable swaps of ideas and views.
This place has seemed to me a mini of that Usenet newsgroup. It had hundred or so posts a day back then.

So, there would be no shills there. None would be needed here either - though I think the possibility more likely.

There is definitely folks posting here of right wing persuasion who will stir up and fan flames to make reasonable exchange difficult. Things can get hot enough between folks trying to discuss politics - religion - but when there are instigator sorts about they will be defended by the folks they claim to side with all the while they might be stirring up more of the crap that the folks who respond in kind to them.

Who started this thread.....
War Dog (Had to take a look back)
He seemed to be a level header sort that has better view than some of what has been going on. But I would say even to him that 'you are not likely to be able to tell the lefty trolls from just lefties unless the right wingy instigator/hotheads be kept in check.
Sure I appear the hothead. Do it all over the place where I might post. Bigots get bitchy at me and I taunt and argue. Maybe some of them don't put any more emotion into it than I do - but I sure laugh when I am accused of stuff - emotions or motives especially.
I've stayed cool or just didn't post and watched sometime. Never seen it to make any difference so I do much of what is fun at the moment and express some views now and again on the off chance that someone might make use of it.

I don't have much faith in this place doing a lot better than a number of other places I have seen. I suppose it could be moderated as heavy as some of them Democrat forums I have looked at and would seem kind of dull then.

I'd have to take a look back at the questions I was raising. Maybe you jumped on the only one that I even thought to be worded a little more smart ass than necessary. Gave it some thought and let it stand for sake of I didn't think it likely to matter a whole lot how I said anything for what sort of response it might evoke.
ASPB

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig,

That's a lot words in one post.

I'll give you 2 conclusions.

1. You still didn't answer my non-rhetorical question, and
2. Although I've read it twice I can't find a coherent message.

Try reading it again to see if you can identify for me what you're trying to say. I know you think there are "bigots" here. What does "bigot" mean to you? Someone, with a heartfelt beliefs? Someone that disagrees with you?

What else?

I agologize but what I get is jumbled words and jumbled thinking from someone who obviously types better and faster than he thinks or writes.

Just an opinion.
Craig

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ASPB wrote:
Craig,

That's a lot words in one post.

I'll give you 2 conclusions.

1. You still didn't answer my non-rhetorical question, and
2. Although I've read it twice I can't find a coherent message.

Try reading it again to see if you can identify for me what you're trying to say. I know you think there are "bigots" here. What does "bigot" mean to you? Someone, with a heartfelt beliefs? Someone that disagrees with you?

What else?

I agologize but what I get is jumbled words and jumbled thinking from someone who obviously types better and faster than he thinks or writes.

Just an opinion.

None of the above.
forget I said anything
tigerflyboy
Former Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:45 am    Post subject: thanks War Dog! Reply with quote

An excellent idea and post, a dicussion is by nature a two way communication, that does not mean you have to agree with the individual you are spesking to or with. Just the ability to listen and be open minded!
War Dog
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Yep, it was I! Or is it me! Very Happy
Quote:
He seemed to be a level header sort that has better view than some of what has been going on.

Why, thank you Craig. I appreciate that! Very Happy
Quote:
But I would say even to him that 'you are not likely to be able to tell the lefty trolls from just lefties unless the right wingy instigator/hotheads be kept in check.

Oh, it’s not hard to tell who is a leftie, a rightie, a middleroadie, a centrist, a libertarian, a troll, a trouble maker, honest, and so on. However, all will be welcome.
Quote:
Sure I appear the hothead. Do it all over the place where I might post. Bigots get bitchy at me and I taunt and argue. Maybe some of them don't put any more emotion into it than I do - but I sure laugh when I am accused of stuff - emotions or motives especially.

Hotheads and cool losers are welcome here. As far as those nasty ‘Bigots’, Craig, everyone of us is ‘bigoted’ about something or another, if we really look into ourselves deep enough. It’s human nature. Everybody lies, cheats (and I’m not talking about on your wife, or girlfriend, although that can be included here too), lusts, has greed, love, hate, anger, etc…

Putting emotion into your posts is cool. The hardest thing to do is to post your thoughts, opinions and feelings without having to resort to using foul language, cussing, attacking others, calling them names (like Bigots Very Happy ) , insulting them, slandering them, accusing them of being ‘liars’, etc. You’ll find that if you can get your idea across without any of the above, then you stand a much better chance of honest discussion and debate with others, and that they tend to pay attention to what you say, and even sometimes if you can, they just might agree with you, or change their point of view (but don’t count on it! Very Happy ) Another side effect of this is that because you are calm and logical, and use common sense and coolness, people actually start replying to your point of view, with honest, calm, logical, common sense replies of their own. It works elsewhere, and it will work here. Very Happy
Quote:
I've stayed cool or just didn't post and watched sometime. Never seen it to make any difference so I do much of what is fun at the moment and express some views now and again on the off chance that someone might make use of it.

It will work, just wait and see.
Quote:
I don't have much faith in this place doing a lot better than a number of other places I have seen. I suppose it could be moderated as heavy as some of them Democrat forums I have looked at and would seem kind of dull then.

There are many boards that are regulated where it is fair to all, and where all are welcome. These boards and the members of those boards are civil to each other, and ideas, debates, and discussions fly fast and heavy at times. Sure, some people get out of line, but these members quickly police themselves, and those that do not go along with the rules, well, they go away real quick. These sites have liberals, conservatives, moonies, greenies, democrats, republicans, liberitarians, christians, muslims, jews, hindus, atheists, and so on.

Have patience! Very Happy

War Woof!

When cops need help, they call the K-9 unit."
Craig

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

War Dog wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
He seemed to be a level header sort that has better view than some of what has been going on.

snip

War Woof!

I am not one to give compliments very freely.
I am also one to tense up at some given for sake of wondering WTF this bugger wants to sell me.

It is kinda like when I been going on just fine with a person and then it comes up he says "Trust me." I tense up.

I treat those I perceive as honorable honorably.
I treat folks at large honorably.
Maybe I should do a soul search and see if I could not find my way to treating honorable those whom I perceive as dishonorable.
Craig

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

War Dog wrote:

War Woof!

Forgot to say that I have patience.
Used to be that folks asked me what I did and I said that I was a waiter.
Nothing to do with serving food but I did spend a lot of time waiting for idiots who were late.
ASPB

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
War Dog wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

snip

War Woof!

I am not one to give compliments very freely.
I am also one to tense up at some given for sake of wondering WTF this bugger wants to sell me.

It is kinda like when I been going on just fine with a person and then it comes up he says "Trust me." I tense up.

I treat those I perceive as honorable honorably.
I treat folks at large honorably.
Maybe I should do a soul search and see if I could not find my way to treating honorable those whom I perceive as dishonorable.

It really depends on your definition of honor, Craig. Study how you define the concept of honor before you judge others against your own standards

Just an opinion.
War Dog
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig, there are good people who are Vietnam Veterans, anti-Kerry people, pro-Bush, anti-Bush, democrats, republicans, liberals, and so on. Not everybody is out to attack others, screw others, etc. There are some people that you can trust. You just have to have the wisdom and experience to be able to spot them, and weed out the others.

Not everybody who is a member of the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth and/or members of this site is a bad person. Many of them honestly and truthfully believe in what they are saying about Kerry. Much of what these people say are facts that are well known, and have been documented in the media, books, TV, recordings, transcripts, government/military documents, etc...

Not everybody has a hidden, hate-filled agenda. Don't judge everybody on this site by the few that are here to cause trouble, and there are those here on both sides of this issue of John Kerry's character, and who he is as a person.

Use a little common sense, and like I said earlier, if you can post here, and get your ideas and opinions across without breaking the rules, then you have done something that many people cannot do. Try it, it works!

Woof!

When cops need help, they call the K-9 unit."
Craig

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

War Dog wrote:
Craig, there are good people who are Vietnam Veterans, anti-Kerry people, pro-Bush, anti-Bush, democrats, republicans, liberals, and so on. Not everybody is out to attack others, screw others, etc. There are some people that you can trust. You just have to have the wisdom and experience to be able to spot them, and weed out the others.

Not everybody who is a member of the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth and/or members of this site is a bad person. Many of them honestly and truthfully believe in what they are saying about Kerry. Much of what these people say are facts that are well known, and have been documented in the media, books, TV, recordings, transcripts, government/military documents, etc...

Not everybody has a hidden, hate-filled agenda. Don't judge everybody on this site by the few that are here to cause trouble, and there are those here on both sides of this issue of John Kerry's character, and who he is as a person.

Use a little common sense, and like I said earlier, if you can post here, and get your ideas and opinions across without breaking the rules, then you have done something that many people cannot do. Try it, it works!

Woof!

I may as well respond to both yours and ASPB post in one response.
I do not find such patronizing ******** to be one whit more redeemable than the most vulgar than such as Morto can come up with.

If you want some respect then show some example of what respect you will show. Otherwise just sit on your high horse and see if it does not exist as an ongoing challenge to topple. Even if myself and those you label as trolls went away, you can only lose.

But I think that you are short sighted about what it might be winning battles and losing the war. Hell, I had thought myself pretty damned clever in my late teens to realize that only one battle really counted in a war. - later I found that the idea was older than Xenophon.
95 bxl
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: thanks War Dog! Reply with quote

tigerflyboy wrote:
An excellent idea and post, a dicussion is by nature a two way communication, that does not mean you have to agree with the individual you are spesking to or with. Just the ability to listen and be open minded!

So, tfb... when are you going to begin exhibiting any of these traits?
95 bxl
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:

I do not find such patronizing Bullcrap to be one whit more redeemable than the most vulgar than such as Morto can come up with.

If you want some respect then show some example of what respect you will show. Otherwise just sit on your high horse and see if it does not exist as an ongoing challenge to topple. Even if myself and those you label as trolls went away, you can only lose.

What a crock.

The fact is, Craig, we were doing fine before you came here... and we would do equally well if you left, and took the rest of the Kerry-bots with you.

In fact... why don't you leave? I'm all for "risking" the "loss" your absence would, if you are to be believed, cause.

Otherwise, feel free to knock of your monumental whining about the level of respect you receive around here... because at the end of the day, you get the respect you deserve.
Craig

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

95 bxl wrote:
Craig wrote:

I do not find such patronizing Bullcrap to be one whit more redeemable than the most vulgar than such as Morto can come up with.

What a crock.

The fact is, Craig, we were doing fine before you came here... and we would do equally well if you left, and took the rest of the Kerry-bots with you.

In fact... why don't you leave? I'm all for "risking" the "loss" your absence would, if you are to be believed, cause.

Otherwise, feel free to knock of your monumental whining about the level of respect you receive around here... because at the end of the day, you get the respect you deserve.

feel free to knock of your monumental whining about the level of respect you receive around here... because at the end of the day, you get the respect you earn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: