SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just how do you carry a loaded M-16?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Porsche944
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no weapons or combat infantry expert, but I've seen that "Kerry in the paddy" clip several times, and each time I see it I keep wondering:

1. Why is he stomping around like he doesn't know what a land mine/punji stick is?
2. Who taught him how to carry a loaded weapon?
3. Why does he keep lookng at the camera?
4. Where the hell is his crew?

And finally: Isn't it fortunate that he just happened to have a movie camera so he could document his exploits?
Tad Belknap
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Gore....that raingear he's wearing still has the factory creases in it....thanks for posting that I hadn't seen it since last election and always got a hoot out of it!

Between the last 2 democratic presidental candidates....combined the two didn't complete 1 tour in Vietnam !

Razz
The bandit
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the looks of it I'd say he is sure confident no one is going to be shooting at him. If this was a hot zone you'd have you're weapon tucked under your arm with finger on the trigger ready to rumble. This looks like a bad B movie to me.

P.S. If the old man of my company caught me carrying my weapon like that I wouldn't be here typing this to you all.
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: andy of mayberry Reply with quote

blue9t3 wrote:
Im sorry your experience in the navy didnt compare to popin squarels while they stand still looking at you. You had a choice to go UDT or SEALS didnt you? Maybe you should have stayed in the boy scouts, heck who knows by now you could of been a bear or an eagle-maybe even scout master! The sky's the limit.

What makes you think "my experience in the Navy didn't compare to poppin squirrels?"
Not totally sure whether you're kidding, or what. Don't much care.

This is headed for the GEEDUNK, I can tell.
I was Scoutmaster for that Boy Scout troop (but not at that time).
Troop 69.
I also have my "Wood Badge": W5-62-93
Beaver Patrol.

If I could have made SEAL, I'd have done it in a heartbeat.
VWatts
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting catch on the way he carried the M-16. Seems unlikely that he understood "Lock & Load". Maybe he is a leader since I would definitely be BEHIND him when he walked around like that with his "gun".
eziek
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:54 am    Post subject: A REAL Swiftie can clarify Reply with quote

Our company worked the area downstream from Kerry and I can't recall the exact number of countless insertions we made via tangos and MACV's, supported by Mike boats. The absolute bravery of these sailors is uncontestable and admired by every grunt. But I never recall swabbies disembarking and playing infantry ala Kerry video. Maybe a swiftie can elaborate on this type of action, it's purpose, and it's frequency. Thank you.
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the sound of it, it was only common among the Swifties that were making home movies of their patrolling activities for use in a Presidential race at some time in the future. It's pretty funny, actually, if you are a vet, to watch this moron "on patrol". I guess some people are buying it, though.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wing Wiper wrote:
It's pretty funny, actually, if you are a vet, to watch this moron "on patrol". I guess some people are buying it, though.

I'm not a combat vet - I'm not even an "era" vet.

But those films just make me cringe in embarrassment for this fool.

What was he THINKING?????

What is his campaign thinking? Is anyone in that camp thinking at all?
RStauch
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: Index that weapon! Reply with quote

The bandit wrote:
From the looks of it I'd say he is sure confident no one is going to be shooting at him. If this was a hot zone you'd have you're weapon tucked under your arm with finger on the trigger ready to rumble. This looks like a bad B movie to me.

Not to "challenge" you, my friend, but I would most certainly not have my "finger on the trigger" while walking around in the jungle. I would index my weapon, until I knew where put the lead.

As for that, walking with the barrel pointing down is proper; you don't want to shoot Jesus. Walk with the barrel pointing down, your finger outside the trigger guard (at least), with your eyes ahead (not on the camera) -- unless you're bringing up the rear. And, when it's time to fire that thing, don't "spray and pray," take aim and make every round count -- you only have so many to begin with, and they run out pretty quick.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: