SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I (USED TO) disagree with SBVFT's tactics....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LimaCharlie
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: I disagree with SBVFT's tactics.... Reply with quote

TexasCop wrote:
Any man or woman who went to Vietnam is a hero to me. They always have been. My admiration for Vietnam veterans was the inspiration I needed to join the Army myself (1987 - 1994). The fact that John Kerry went to Vietnam makes him a hero in my eyes.

I disagree with people attacking Kerry for his actions during that war. At least he was there, right? If you want to attack him, I wish you would wear him out over his post-war treachery instead.

No, I'm not a Kerry supporter. I'm die-hard Bush to the bone and donate $50 per month to the RNC. I just feel that you're attacking Kerry at the wrong angle.

Further, no, I'm not a war veteran, but it's not from lack of trying! I was in the Army Reserves when Desert Shield kicked off. I immediately went to an active duty recruiter and volunteered for a 4 year active duty stint so I could make the big show in the sand. Instead, I was sent to Fort Hood where I was stuck on a vehicle checkpoint for the duration of the war. Sad The funny part of all this? My reserve unit went!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy

This is the attitude that is the hardest to deal with when discussing John Kerry‘s record. I am hearing the same thing from many acquaintances and coworkers who are not Viet Nam Veterans. They say, “Kerry is a hero just for volunteering to go and I don‘t know if I could made the same decision that you and he did.”

This is why I recommend on another thread that Kerry is more vulnerable with the general public on what he did after he returned from Viet Nam and his anti-military voting record in the Senate. When you talk about Kerry’s Viet Nam service, you are preaching only to the choir. The choir understands he volunteered for Swift Boats to be like John F. Kennedy. When Kerry volunteered for Swift Boats, they were not assigned to river warfare, they were only safely cruising the coastline. He was just trying to get his ticket punched to kick-start his political career. People are turned off when you suggest John Kerry was a real screw-up and his band-of-brothers told him about “three purple hearts and you are out” to help get rid of him.

No one dreamed back then that it would come to John Kerry’s Viet Nam service being used to qualify him to be Commander-In-Chief thirty-five years later. If his superiors had known the future, they would have prosecuted or ignored him instead of giving him medals and getting rid of him. When John Kerry met with the North Viet Nam Communists and the Viet Cong in Paris while still a Navy Reserve Officer, they would have prosecuted him instead of ignoring him and wishing the weird hippy dude would just go away.

You tend to turn off the general public by discussing what John Kerry did in Viet Nam or why he volunteered. When you talk about what he did after Viet Nam and his Senate record, they tend to listen more.

John Kerry violated a lot of military regulations and US laws after he returned. If proven and prosecuted, he could go to jail. Those violations, if prosecuted, makes him ineligible to be a US Senator or President under the US Constitution. That would be real revenge!
gator60
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: Kerry,s band of brothers Reply with quote

When I came back to the world,shot up and in a wheel chair, I was greeted by the band of brothers the vietnam vets agenst the war. Two of them came over with a can of coke, full of urine and poored it on me. If I had a gun I would have shot them dead. You don't understand what that did to me. Every time I see that piece crap on tv. I want to puke. I am 60 years old now and don't walk verry well. So you understand why so many of us are upset. John Kerry is saying hes not going to take anyone questioning his pratriotism. Well John you are not a patriot, or a hero, you are a trator.
Michael Guest
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One short observation.

Never is the truth the wrong tactic. There is no way to put a silver saddle on Jackass John. It doesn't fit. Why he continues to make false claims and have his little Jackasses screaming liar is totally amazing to me. The national media hasn't investigated, and probably will not investigate the truth. WE as veterans must set the record straight.

Michael Guest
Doc Jerry
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas Cop:

I would tend to agree with you to some degree. For this reason: Talking to many of my friends (and esp. those who are not vets), they understand the issue of J. Fn Kerry's slandering of an entire generation of veterans, because it's well documented and coming from his double-talking mouth. Kerry's own statements in 1971 and thereafter are very difficult to counter and debate. It's like a written and signed admission of guilt for your cops.

Saying that, the Swiftees in my opinion, earned the right to criticize J.F. Kerry. In addition, many of them were witnesses to the events. Many of them obviously know Kerry better than we do.

If you've not done so already, I would also suggest you read, "Unfit for Command." I think you'll understand their anger much better.

Medics, we're there when you need us.
baldeagl
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it make a difference to you if you knew that John Kerry didn't volunteer for Vietnam? That he tried to get a deferment so he could travel to Paris, and when that didn't work he joined the Naval Reserves in an effort to avoid getting drafted? That two years later he was called up? That when he volunteered for Swift boat duty he thought it would be safe coastal patrol duty? That when he was assigned to An Thoi originally he bitched and moaned so loud about being in a combat zone that after one week! he was sent back to Cat Lo, which was safer duty?

Those are the facts. I admire people who volunteered for Vietnam. That took guts. Kerry did not volunteer.
Mooncusser
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baldeagl,

You are right...when I was in the army there was a form called a 1049 (request for transfer)...I volunteered for Vietnam by filling out a 1049.

If Kerry volunteered for Vietnam there should be a 1049 form in his file !!!

Bet there ain't.

I actually won the election before I lost it.

"It is a good day to fight! It is a good day to die! Strong hearts, brave hearts to the front! Weak hearts and cowards to the rear!" (Crazy Horse)
stop kerry
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texascop I believe you are sincere but the switboat vets (I'm just an Army vet) are on a mission to expose kerry for his lies in VN in which he received the silver star, bronze star and 3 purple hearts(did he bleed?) in just 4 weeks and while he was the head and 'spokesman' of the VVAW. In 1970-71 he called ALL VN vets murders. As an example if today was apr. 22,1971 John kerry would be claiming in congress "that our soldiers in Iraq are like the Islamic killers today in Russia which caused the death of 200 children"-don't let the DNC hired front-men/media spin convince you otherwise. You shoud read their book and also here is an article which says it all--John Kerry's Blood Libel:
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=40278
eziek
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 4:19 am    Post subject: Truth Reply with quote

TexasCop,

Just the truth...anything less will represent gross negligence of our collective duty to the remarkable men and woman who are sacrificing their daily comfort, psyche, and lives to allow us to continue our pursuits in safety. Truth is an imperative to continue to attract the best and brightest to sacrifice for a greater good. The courage of SBVT is based on this ideal and is enormously admired for there is no combat pay, no medals to be awarded in this 24/7 fire fight against the unprecendented attacks from every corner in this country supposedly founded on freedom of speech. Be proud of your service, we are proud of you. Make no mistake though, Kerry's actions in 'combat' are despicable and his deeds in VVAW are worthy of imprisonment.

Loyalty above all else except honor.
Hueygunner
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: I disagree with SBVFT's tactics.... Reply with quote

TexasCop wrote:
Any man or woman who went to Vietnam is a hero to me. They always have been.

Let me compare Kerry's medals to something that happened while I was in basic training.

After about four weeks, we were given permission to go to the PX. It's difficult for a civilian to imagine what a great privilege this was. It was like being released from prison. Everyone rushed there. I went back to our barracks early because I spent what little money I had. The rest of my platoon stayed there longer. Some were caught drinking beer; this was off-limits. Soon, they came trickling back home. One trainee came back dressed like a Vietnam War hero. He had it all on: ribbons, combat rifle badge, Airborne patches and rope, shinny jump boots, and a beret. He looked like he just fought the Vietnam War single-handedly. He strutted around the barracks like a peacock and his glory was reflected in our big trainee eyes. He took center stage. Everyone was gathered around him. Then our drill sargent stepped in. He nearly went through the ceiling. His face turned bloody red. He shouted at the top of his lungs, "Get that stuff off!" The trainee hero took off for the bathroom like a scalded dog.

The ribbons and other military insignia are marks of valor earned by very brave men. When they are not earned, this detracts from the honor of the men who have won them honestly.
rb325th
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me just ad this bit of second hand commentary I heard this morning.
I met a Vietnam Veteran, Bronze Star and Purple Heart Recipient. Spoke of an incident in wich his Platoon was hit by a B-40, 2 men Medivaced and he himself wounded with a fragment to the face. He did not place himself in for a Purple Heart for it and did not recieve one for it. He still had the scar on his face though small, but he did not feel it was worth getting a PH for after watching 2 of his men get flown out with serious wounds to their extremities.While telling me this story he continually expressed his distaste for Kerry and his "Medal Hunt".
Yes, those who went there deserve our Praise for their Service. Kerry seems to have taken his time there and turned it into his own version of "To Hell and Back". His writings, letters and journal and conflicting comments over the years, show a man who exaggerated greatly what it was he was doing and what he did (from his letters while on the Gridley) to getting his first PH for what even the Kerry Campaign had to admit came from unintentional self inflicted wounds (for wich he was initially turned down for a PH).
By the way the Veteran I met this morning had not one positive thing to say about JFnKerry and the way he left Vietnam, and a lot of anger about his activities afterwards!
TexasCop
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan on purchasing Unfit for Command tomorrow. I tried to get it tonight, but Walmart happens to have two dozen Bill Klinton memoirs on the rack, but no Unfit for Command books. I'll swing by the mall tomorrow to pick one up.
Survivor of the Dept. of Homeland Security COBRATF Live Agent facility (HUAH!)
jalexson
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knighthawk wrote:
I too feel that all the veterans that came before me are heroes, and i would never slight someones service to their country.

However, John Kerry made his 4 months in Viet Nam the cornerstone of his campaign, thereby opening up his military record to close scrutiny. Had John kerry used his time as Lt Governor and Senator and ran on his voting record, instead of his "Viet Nam experience, it is doubtful that it would have been questioned so strongly.

The reason he used is military experience, is that he knew he could not win on his voting record. John kerry was and still is the most liberal senator in the United States.

Good point. The only people qualified to lead criticism of a veteran are fellow veterans, particularly those who served along side of him.

We can allow someone to serve in Congress who has misrepresented his record, but the presidency is too demanding for anyone to get into office by misrepresenting his background.

Kerry has made his Vietnam service the backbone of his campaign because his political career has been so mediocre. As Dick Morris has pointed out, Kerry is a back bench Senator not a leader like Lyndon Johnson or Bob Dole.
"That awful power, the public opinion of a nation, is created in America by a horde of ignorant, self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditching and shoe making and fetched up in journalism on their way to the poor house."
-- Mark Twain
GoophyDog
PO1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuffaloJack wrote:
You say that you would honor Kerry and consider him as a hero because he is a veteran.
Benedict Arnold was a veteran also.
Would you extend the same consideration to him.

A side note, until his treason, Arnold was the winningest general the Army had at that time. Secondary note: Washington never won the field in a battle he lead. Just historical trivia that I wish I could jar out of my head.

Not trivia. Kerry is the first presidential candidate to have illegally negotiated with the enemy in a time of war. Kerry is the first and I believe ONLY presidential candidate to have his photo in the war museum in Hanoi.
USMC-Pride
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another reason the swiftees have gone after his service in country as well as actions after is they feel if he got any of his PH for a wound that didn't qualify for one, he owes the U.S. Navy 250+ more days of combat service before he can call himself "hero" or run for the highest office in the land. Read the book and then pass it on to your friends to read.
Mooncusser
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas cop,

I suggest the book "Stolen Valor", also.

I actually won the election before I lost it.

"It is a good day to fight! It is a good day to die! Strong hearts, brave hearts to the front! Weak hearts and cowards to the rear!" (Crazy Horse)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: