SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

deleted
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbshirley
Founder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Batman and Robin Callsigns Reply with quote

NavyChief wrote:
Batman? Robin?

These were not "official" call signs.

As in many close knit military units, "nicknames" were used for informal
radio communications during operations of units in the same organization
to identify specific people rather than vessels.

Much more "fun" than using the official gibberish call sign such as "Inky
Bites ##" that was "assigned" to Swift Boats in that area. "Batman" was
an informal call sign "given" to Bill Schatche as the "leader" of this specific
training operation. Kerry had not been around long enough to have a
permanent one placed on him by his peers. So probably "Robin" was
used in this type operation for the "new kids" that went out on these ops
under the tutalege of the senior Lieutenant in charge in order to note the
difference between trainer and trainee in comms back to the overseeing
Swift Boat.

As has been reported in this forum, and UFC, Kerry's permanent moniker
became "Boston Strangler." As part of his fantasies, he tries to pretend
that it was "Iron Jaw" so as to enhance his image and standing.

These names were rarely complimentry. eg I was "crowned" the name
"Axlerod" after the dour beagle in popular advertisements of the time.

.... .....

Last edited by rbshirley on Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:24 am; edited 1 time in total
NavyChief
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by NavyChief on Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Batman and Robin makes good sense, and I'd bet Kerry wasn't the first or last guy to use "Robin" when teamed up with Schatche on a training mission.
What you need to establish now is that "Batman" accompanied "Robin" in the whaler, instead of being remote on those training missions. Anybody want to take bets they were both in the skimmer? Get him, Chief, this could be a ball-buster. Very Happy
Beldar
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gone back and forth on this myself in considerable confusion.

I know I want Kerry to have been "Robin" because it would emphasize that he was the junior, rookie partner.

I've wondered if perhaps some of the training on the mission might have included radio communications and call signs.

Ultimately, it doesn't much matter -- as pointed out above, Kerry's greeting Adm. Schachte with the word "Batman" 20 years later means that Kerry knows Schachte was, at a minimum, involved in the mission. But if one of our moderators or other readers could pose this question to someone in the SwiftVets leadership to get a solid answer, I'd still be much comforted. (And if there is such a definitive answer given, I'd appreciate it if someone would email me with it, beldar*at*beldar.org -- thanks!)
baldeagl
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NavyChief wrote:
The Boston Globe article had Batman as the Whaler and Robin as the larger boat (whatever that means - PCF?)

I have no documents from the timeframe. Just working on what was said.

- instigator

Like almost everything else that the Globe writers and Kerry's hagiographer Brinkley have written, that's wrong.
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Boston Globe article sounds bass-ackwards to me, Chief. That would put Kerry right out of the whole mission. Question
baldeagl
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beldar, is rbshirley's explanation not good enough? He not only told you call signs were always for people, he posted his "business card" from his Swift boat days.

No offense, but some of this crap gets really frustrating. No one wants to believe anything a military person says about stuff that we know about.

I was in the Navy for six years. I can assure you that we didn't use call signs for boats. We used them for people. Is that not good enough? Evil or Very Mad
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's reading radio intercept chatter, I think. Maybe it's hard to decypher what to make of it. Without seeing the raw data, we're probably not helping him much in figuring it out. I think I'll bow out and let the Chief have some peace on this.
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldeagl wrote:
Beldar, is rbshirley's explanation not good enough? He not only told you call signs were always for people, he posted his "business card" from his Swift boat days.

No offense, but some of this crap gets really frustrating. No one wants to believe anything a military person says about stuff that we know about.

I was in the Navy for six years. I can assure you that we didn't use call signs for boats. We used them for people. Is that not good enough? Evil or Very Mad

In riverine/patrol we used both with an emphasis on personal "handle". For example, "Farmdale Alpha 2" for a ASPB in RIVDIV 595/153. "Morto" for me as Patrol Officer. 2 : the act of putting to death : KILLING <mort of the English stag and a play on my last name

Last edited by ASPB on Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:33 am; edited 2 times in total
NavyChief
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by NavyChief on Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Misty
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question. If no after-action report was made unless there was enemy fire, what about the spot reports? I think I am getting confused here. Surely there are records of missions even when there was no enemy fire. Someone had to send these men out on the mission, right? I was never there and don't really have a clue, but I can't imagine that boats would be out and about without there being a record of who was in them and where they were going. This is frustrating.
Brother was on the USS Regulus - Vietnam
Husband was AirForce 3rd (34th) Tactical Fighter Wing - Security Police Bien Hoa Vietnam
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was some kind of a report made of the operation. They expended ammunition against a target, so I'm sure somebody wrote up a contact report. I'm betting Schatche has a record of it. We haven't seen all of the evidence yet, I think they're holding a lot of stuff back, waiting for Kerry to dig himself a big hole. O'Neill is cagey, he's not through yet, by a long shot. Very Happy
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misty,

Understandable confusion. A "Spot" report just means "on the spot". They often included missions where there was no combat action.

E.G. "5 boat sweep of the Bo De no contact, nothing found", but often, when patrolling regularly, nothing would be filed upstream unless there was some form of enemy contact. Thus, by definition "Combat After-Action Reports were included in the definition of "Spot Report".

I hope I haven't added more confusion! Laughing

Tom
Beldar
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldeagl wrote:

I meant no offense, and apologize if I've given any. I was confused by Adm. Schachte's August 27 written statement that included the line, "Our call sign for that operation was 'Batman.'"
Misty
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. My point is that there is a dispute about whether or not Schacte was on this mission....whether or not he was on the Boston Whaler. I think the first thing to find out if it is recorded that kerry and schacte were both on this mission. Who else was on the Swift boat as it towed the Whaler? What record would tell us who was there?

I think someone needs to computerize a timeline database to compile all of the information we have.
Brother was on the USS Regulus - Vietnam
Husband was AirForce 3rd (34th) Tactical Fighter Wing - Security Police Bien Hoa Vietnam
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: