SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are the Newsweek and Time polls BS?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noc
PO1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polaris wrote:
Noc,

That depends on what other pollsters have to say. For instance, I am waiting on the Network Polls and most especially on Gallup.

If Gallup shows no movement, then this approach is dead in the water.

Lets hope so. Hey if anyone has the premium memberships to some of the poll groups could you post the latest numbers?
Dragoro
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest numbers according to Newsweek. Full list of every topic polled:

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/09-04-2004/0002244238&EDATE=

Dragoro's Realm Forums
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
The Cyber Menace
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's not get carried away punching away at our political calculators.

The only way a Kerry comeback in the polls can have any impact is if something actually happens in the campaign. If it doesn't, and the poll numbers still tighten as some say, then what would have been achieved? Bush goes up, then goes down - and we have the same race as we had before without any new developments.

I doubt there would be such level of coordination between Kerry and two seperate news publications that events could be orchestrated for a maximum reverse bounce. I just don't think things work that way.

Maybe they think this 'fighting back' angle by Kerry is it. But it's that strategy that had Kerry falling in the first place.

Furthermore, the underlying numbers can only serve to dampen the chances of an early comeback for Kerry. His unfavourables are high. And the stuff I see coming from Kerry won't change that any time soon.
Scipio
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it looks like Newsweek oversampled Republicans.

Quote:
SAMPLE SIZE/MARGIN OF ERROR FOR REGISTERED VOTERS SUBGROUPS:
1,008 Registered voters (plus or minus 4)

505 Thursday interviews (plus or minus 5)
503 Friday interviews (plus or minus 5)

374 Republicans (plus or minus 6)
303 Democrats (plus or minus 6)
300 Independents (plus or minus 6)

476 Men (plus or minus 5)
532 Women (plus or minus 5)

112 18-29 (plus or minus 10)
349 30-49 (plus or minus 6)
516 50+ (plus or minus 5)

283 Southern White (plus or minus 7)
559 Non-Southern White (plus or minus 5)
144 Non-White (plus or minus Cool

417 Military households (plus or minus 6)
578 Non-military households (plus or minus 5)

310 Republican states (plus or minus 6)
409 Swing states (plus or minus 6)
289 Democratic states (plus or minus 7)

541 Bush/Cheney supporters (plus or minus 5)
403 Kerry/Edward supporters (plus or minus 6)

SAMPLE SIZE/MARGIN OF ERROR FOR SUBGROUPS OF REGISTERED VOTERS
INTERVIEWED FRIDAY

187 Republicans (plus or minus Cool
139 Democrats (plus or minus 9)
165 Independents (plus or minus Cool

My quick and dirty calculations show that if you knock the Republican segment down to 300, you get 49 for Bush.

Last edited by Scipio on Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Doc Jerry
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is more important than the polls is that the Swift Boat Vets don't let up. When Kerry loses this campaign, it will be the Swiftees who turned the tide. It's important you guys keep the pressure on. Kerry and his crew can't handle it. The key: the Swift Boat Vets.

Medics, we're there when you need us.
Integrity
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polls are irrelevant. Turnout is key. Kerry must be D.O.A. before any ballots are cast. As important, and I think relevant to all Vets, is that the voters deliver a stinging rebuke to the leftists via the ballot box at the national, state and local levels. The radical force that Kerry led that repudiated and slandered our service people has never been properly rebuked. Now would be the appropriate time for Kerry's boat to sink with all hands on board.
The Cyber Menace
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just thought of something else. Idea

Instead of skewing the polls in Bush's favour for Kerry's benefit, maybe they're admitting that Kerry is in deep trouble - in large part due to the SBVT. Acknowledging a significant Bush lead now may dampen the shock as it only gets worse for our hero Popeye Kerry. Wink

This Douglas Brinkley acknowledgment of the potential for discrepencies in Kerry's record might be a predictor of things to come. Generals Franks' very open endorsement of the SBVT may be another - as just a small example.

Maybe the press is finally starting to realize that Kerry is a stooge and always has been a stooge. Razz
Dave_R
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible that the reason that Republicans were "oversampled" is that independents might skew more towards Democrats?

Is it possible to get the breakdowns for the last couple of Newsweek polls?
mascari
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rparrott21 wrote:
I have yet to talk to anyone about the election who is voting for Kerry...my poll says,, Bush 100% to Kerry 0%....

Really?!

Tell me where you live, cuz I'm movin....there's plenty of Kerry voters around here.
ProudDaughterofVet
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have waited to comment on this..however, after studying the internals..(I used to do this for a living!!), this is impressive. What happened at the convention, and really before, is yes, the Swifties ads were the turning point in this campaign..and the successful convention for the GOP and the relentless campaiging by Bush has in fact made these polls turn around.

I used to do focus groups..yep, I did..and watching the results of the reactions of the folks to those run by Frank Luntz, who is one of the best in the business..the other factor, little mentioned? The unfortunate, horrific hostage situation in Russia..remember it is back to school time here in the states, and on CNN of all networks, when interviewed, the majority of Russians stated that Putin needed to be stronger on terrorism, and I quote, "Like Mr. Bush in the US"..now..little by little, the voters in this country, are realizing once again, that we need a CIC who we can count on to do the right thing in times of war..not what is right for the UN!

I know this is early..however, if the Swifties keep pounding, and Bush keeps campaigning hard, and not letting up, especially on the CIC issue..he will prevail. Turnout will be high among those who want Bush re-elected, those who "hate" Bush, have no strong need to vote..and for the first time the majority of those voters polled 52% think Bush will be re-elected..this drives turnout down among those who would vote against him.

Keep the pressure on..and do not let up..keep punching, keep the boards lit, the money coming in, and we can all thank the Swifties for enlightening the American voters to the horrid character and IMO, treasonous activity of JFK..we need a President of the United States, not the President of the UN..

Trust me, the polls are good..however, pressure needs to keep being put on Kerry, time to crush his campaign, not just dent it..

PD..
Lily
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProudDaughterofVet wrote:
I have waited to comment on this..however, after studying the internals..(I used to do this for a living!!), this is impressive. What happened at the convention, and really before, is yes, the Swifties ads were the turning point in this campaign..and the successful convention for the GOP and the relentless campaiging by Bush has in fact made these polls turn around.

I used to do focus groups..yep, I did..and watching the results of the reactions of the folks to those run by Frank Luntz, who is one of the best in the business..the other factor, little mentioned? The unfortunate, horrific hostage situation in Russia..remember it is back to school time here in the states, and on CNN of all networks, when interviewed, the majority of Russians stated that Putin needed to be stronger on terrorism, and I quote, "Like Mr. Bush in the US"..now..little by little, the voters in this country, are realizing once again, that we need a CIC who we can count on to do the right thing in times of war..not what is right for the UN!

Thanks for your insights, I was very surprised to read the following quotes from Russians in the NYTs of all places.

Quote:
He did not elaborate, but many Russians have been citing the experiences of the United States, Israel and Spain as more effective in protecting their citizens. A policeman, guarding Chekhov's former estate in the town of Melikhovo, on Saturday contrasted Russia's helplessness to the resolve of the United States after the Sept. 11 attacks.

"Our government is to blame," said the officer, who would only give his first name, Valery. "They do not take care of their citizens. In the U.S., after Sept. 11, there were not any more attacks. Here they have not done anything. We get kicked from all sides."

These are Russians not Americans pointing to the US response to terrorist attacks. Contrast this with democrat strategist Bob Bechel who appeared to poo-poo the war on terror after early polls showed Bush with a double digit lead following the RNC convention. Bechel claimed their had "only" been three terrorist attacks in the US in the last 50 years so it's not surprising there has been no attack since 9/11.Is it any wonder people don't trust the dems with national security. Not to mention John Kerry's checkered past both in Vietnam and the US Senate.
Polaris
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone,

The Time/Newsweek numbers appear to be the REAL DEAL! If you crunched the raw numbers without bias, you would find that Bush has a 16 point lead rather than an 11 point lead.

Both Time and Newsweek rebiased their results in favor of Democrates to renormalize the results to make up for the missing Dem respondants (which is standard fare in polling).

See the details here at Polipundit:

http://www.polipundit.com/2004_09_05_polipundit_archive.html#109443851196284135

Truth is Beauty
Indianbaboon
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whew nice to know

i still don't trust statistics or polls tho Mad I'll wait for Nov.
Frogg
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing to keep in mind about Rasmussen poll is that they do a three day rolling average. Bush's speech was Thursday night. The first day which would include polls done after Bush's speech would be Sunday.
However, the weekend tends to skew to Democrats (it seems Republicans aren't home on the weekend). However, with this being a three day holiday weekend.....the polls done now would be meaningless. I'd wait till about Wednesday for a true perspective from Rasmussen.

Also, state polls have gone more in Bush's favor since the Convention!
bach04
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call me cynical, but there is something sinister behind the motives of these new recent polls. Being full aware that the liberal mainstream media is capable of pulling off any stunt to get their Kerry boy elected, I am not surprised if there is a plan to make Kerry the "comeback" boy in the weeks ahead. With all the changes occurring in Kerry's camp with the addition of those freaks Begala and Carvile, I am anticipating negative attacks on such a grand scale that the media will spin any "true" poll results to indicate a change in momentum. I really hope that the president steadfastly maintains his course because with all the media press pulling for kerry, I am afraid that everything we are reading right now are part of their scheme to help Kerry - though I hope that I am wrong.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: