SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BREAKING: Kerry spot reports for Feb 28 Surface
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The bandit
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ARW3A wrote:
Did anyone see Kerry kill the VC? or the body afterward?

Besides, the important thing is to compare the report to the Zumwalt SS Citation.

See this link forthe answers to your question:

http://idexer.com/articles/kerry_medals.htm
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of right now, Drudge is carrying this too, so it will get lots of exposure....

~Kylie
The bandit
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tvaughan wrote:
Kerry did the right thing shooting the VC.

But he was clearly not alone, which was the story for years. And Kerry did not overrun a unit of men.

Read the Silver Star citation.

Right. I have no problem with Kerry dropping the kid. Notice the report confirms 3 dead. Rood saw two with RPG's, Kerry drops another with a RPG for a total of THREE. THREE rifles were recovered according to the report. Interesting number of rifles!
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmmpatriot wrote:
As of right now, Drudge is carrying this too, so it will get lots of exposure....

~Kylie

I beat Drudge to the Air Force records. Guess he was sleeping last night. Wink
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the0point wrote:
The KEY here is that Kerry wrote the report. THIS is the main contention the media have been thwarting the Swift Boat Veterans with, by saying that official Navy records support Kerry, and no one could say for sure that Kerry wrote the after action reports. THIS after action report will vindicate the Swift Boat Veterans. Kerry wrote this report...and it is therefore plausible that he wrote the other reports. Maybe then if Kerry ever pulls his head out some reporter might ask him to sign a 180.

I would be careful saying Kerry wrote this report.

First things, first.

Look at the 3rd line from the top, where it says:

ZNY CCCCC ZNY RHMCSAA

That was the first clue that this report did not come from Kerry directly. ZNY is mobile unit sent the message (in other words, not the unit that sent this report).

Second: The message is from Gulf Inshore Patrol Unit. This is the From line: FM 194.5.4.4 *normally this is the OTC of the mission but it has already been proven that the OTC did not always write the AAR. i.e. 13 March 1969.

Third: The Market Time Spot Report line - MSTR 28/1/194.5.4.4/2. If Kerry was the OTC in this action (His award says he was), then /2 is not Kerry. This was very likely LTJG Rood who wrote this report.

Fourth: The report is missing paras 1-4 in the format. It begins with para 5. There is no way to tell without further analysis who was operating under whom.

I agree the report is from that action, which is great. But people should be careful and study the report and others before jumping to conclusions. I've already been burned on this and would advise caution.

If someone else out there knows these reports better than I, then please correct me.

- Chief
rekcutt
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:17 am    Post subject: Jeery and the killing Reply with quote

here is another take on the spot report:

http://www.newscentral.tv/uploads/franchise/point/point-20040913.shtml

KERRY AND THE KILLING

In his campaign book Massachusetts Senator John Kerry notes there was fine line between actions that merited a court martial or a medal. He reported that medals were given for questionable activities in order to boost morale.

This narrow distinction figures into the controversy that has raged for a several weeks regarding the Silver Star Kerry was awarded for killing a Vietnamese man.

For more than 30 years, Kerry has portrayed a heroic version of a life and death struggle -- of staring down a suspected guerilla who was about to fire upon Kerry's swift boat. It was kill. Or be killed. At least, that's the version Kerry tells.

Eyewitnesses offer a far different account. They allege Kerry shot a wounded teenager retreating from battle.

Kerry has made public, hundreds of pages of official Navy documents to bolster his many claims. Conspicuous by its absence is the official after action report of what actually happened that day. The after action report written by John Kerry, himself.

In an exclusive, The Point has obtained this document from U.S. Navy archives (you can see it here). The pertinent section reads:

"PCF 94 beached in center of ambush in front of small path when Viet Cong sprung up from bunker 10 feet from unit. Man ran with weapon towards hootch. Forward M-60 machine gunner wounded man in leg. Officer-in-charge, LTjg Kerry, jumped ashore and gave pursuit while other units saturated area with fire and beached placing assault parties ashore. Kerry chased VC inland behind hootch and shot him while he fled -- capturing one B-40 rocket launcher with round in chamber."

So there you have it. The official record written by John Kerry supports what the critics have alleged rather than the John Wayne Kerry version the Massachusetts liberal has been telling.

Death is a reality of war. Events occur that are not for the faint of heart. Yet, John Kerry's account of killing what turned out to really be a wounded man while he fled continues Kerry's pattern of lies, exaggerations and embellishments.

Killing a wounded man while he retreated from battle is not an action that most servicemen would brag about. But then again, most servicemen would not return home and attack the very country they were supposed to fight for.

And that's the Point.

I'm Mark Hyman.
NavyChief
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might I suggest you read this thread.

http://www2.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9148

The freight train seems to be running away with the author of this report and how Captain Hoffman was the driving force for awarding Kerry a Silver Star.

- Chief
HardCorps
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us not forget:

1) By deliberately and foolishly beaching his boat, Kerry needlessly increased the risk to his crew, embarked personnel, and perfectly good craft by 100x. What did he gain compared to the lives he stupidy risked?
What Kerry did is like knowingly driving your HUMVEE full of men into a mine field and leaving them stranded for a while so that you can go kill one wounded guy and claim hero status. He intensified the desperate situation not the lone VC. He rates an ass-chewing not a SS.

2) The VC had clearly displayed hostile intent so shooting the VC in the back is OK as long as he was not trying to surrender. ADM Hoffman and CAPT Elliott's defense of Kerry in 1996 was for this point only - and the press should burn in hell for distorting their words.

3) The 2nd and 3rd citations remove all mention of the lone VC and replace him with Kerry's "extraordinary daring and personal courage in attacking a numerically superior force in the face of intense fire"
How much more obvious a sham does the press need?

ps. Shooting hostile personnel with a .50 cal or bigger (which was my issued weapon for a while) is permissible as long as it follows the principle of proportionality within the rules of engagement.
-ANGLICO FAC - Iraqi Freedom
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ps. Shooting hostile personnel with a .50 cal or bigger (which was my issued weapon for a while) is permissible as long as it follows the principle of proportionality within the rules of engagement.

Exactly, that line of reasoning won't go far, for a few reasons:
ACAV's , tanks, and aircraft all mount .50 cal guns as primary or secondary armament, and I've never heard anyone criticized for engaging troops with those weapons. That was most common weapon used in World War 2 to strafe enemy troops. .50 cals were emplaced on perimeter duty in Vietnam to defend bases against infantry attack. I believe Kerry stated before Congress "which was our only weapon to use against the enemy (paraphrasing)", yet he is shown in his "home movies" carrying an M-16. A blatant lie.
NavyChief
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay,

Maybe I need to YELL THIS SINCE YOU ARE NOT LISTENING!

KERRY DID NOT WRITE THIS REPORT!

Shall I direct your attention to COMNAVFORV message to CTF 115 on the Kerry website under Feb AAR's?

Just exactly what do you see under SEA LORDS 270?

Oh! I believe I see the reference to the message about where VADM Zumwalt's nice letter came from.

A. CTE 194.5.4.4 281130Z FEB 69

Gee, this DTG doesn't match with the document everyone is saying Kerry wrote. Wonder why? It seems to have been sent 55 minutes before the newly discovered one. Wonder why? I wonder what it says?

Could it be this message above in REF (A) is the one Kerry wrote and Rood wrote the other as well as the 27 FEB AAR?

Ooh, ooh -- let's not forget the Chicago Tribune's piece that claims to have this AAR from 28 Feb but in reality is a BRAVO ZULU from Hoffman. And it contains some incredibly sarcastic language in it -- almost accusatory language of stupidity on the OTC's part.

Sorry to be acting this way -- but you guys are going to shoot yourselves in the foot claiming Kerry wrote this newly discovered AAR.

Kerry's AAR is still out there somewhere.

- Chief
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, Chief, let's see if somebody can find it and put another nail in Wonderboy's coffin, eh? You're doing some great work here, we all owe you our gratitude. Thanks, brother. Smile
NavyChief
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to be a pest but if everyone starts reporting this as Kerry's report then Rood will come out and say, "no -- I wrote it". That's gonna deflat the debate.

I've been looking at this message written by Rood and I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that there was a plan before this mission.

Just based on the report and the language -- the style -- the emphasis of actions by the other two OINC's. There was a plan here. Kerry wrote the first AAR 55 minutes before this one. I wouldn't be surprised to see 3 reports on this same incident. One from each of the Kerry brotherhood; Droz, Rood and Kerry. This report smacks of embellishments and "Hey, look at us! We deserve medals for being stupid".

I'm going to find those reports and the Intell reports and debunk this sucker!

I think I know why Rood finally came out now.

Maybe I'm crazy and paranoid but I'm seeing a plan here.

- Chief
igor
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NavyChief wrote:
Sorry to be a pest but if everyone starts reporting this as Kerry's report then Rood will come out and say, "no -- I wrote it". That's gonna deflat the debate.

from http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/specials/elections/chi-040821rood,0,4945304.story?coll=chi-news-hed
Quote:
We called Droz's boat up to assist us, and Kerry, followed by one member of his crew, jumped ashore and chased a VC behind a hooch--a thatched hut--maybe 15 yards inland from the ambush site. Some who were there that day recall the man being wounded as he ran. Neither I nor Jerry Leeds, our boat's leading petty officer with whom I've checked my recollection of all these events, recalls that, which is no surprise. Recollections of those who go through experiences like that frequently differ.

With our troops involved in the sweep of the first ambush site, Richard Lamberson, a member of my crew, and I also went ashore to search the area. I was checking out the inside of the hooch when I heard gunfire nearby.

Not long after that, Kerry returned, reporting that he had killed the man he chased behind the hooch. He also had picked up a loaded B-40 rocket launcher, which we took back to our base in An Thoi after the operation.

If it was Rood, then he has just contradicted himself, since the report says that the person was wounded as he ran away.
ord33
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

igor,

Good point! Mr. Rood's article was considered as the "authority" by the press. Well, as the Kerry Campaign says "the proof is in the Naval Records". Looks like Mr. Rood and Kerry have been proven WRONG by the official Navy Records they claim support their depiction of the events.
montanaguard
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Is this action worthy of a Silver Star or Bronze Star? Reply with quote

So it appears that the documents provide a fairly clear picture of what happened on that day.

The PCFs counterattacked and the crews engaged the VC (at least one VC jumping from a spider hole or perhaps three, not certain as to how many) that were waiting in ambush, with LtJG Kerry and perhaps others giving a short chase.

But it does not sound like there were a lot of VC at the spot that the PCF crews beached for the second time. The main hostile event seems to have occurred previously where the troops hit the beach to pursue the VC.

If the PCF crews were laying down a barrage of suppresive fire into the area near where they landed, that would be a lot of fire power, the 50's on top and the two front gunners plus whatever small arms carried by the remaining crew and would seem to even the odds rather dramatically against any close in foe.

Does not sound like they were facing superior numbers or hardened positions? It sounds like the VC fled quickly (what few there were) and did not put up any or much resistance to what could be debated as a rather unconventional action for a patrol boat group.

From a personal perspective, chasing a single VC carrying a rocket who had been wounded by a large caliber machine gun a short distance and then shooting him near a hotch, while certainly not a cowardly act, does not seem to rise to an act of great valor.

Is a medal deserved for this or is pursuing a wounded enemy action that would seem rather normal and run of the mill for a combat veteran?

Never been to war so I don't know if this was a truly brave act of extraordinary courage and cleverness or just one doing their job, but seems kind of unremarkable given all the ambushes that occurred in Nam.

Seems like the choice of turning to fight and beaching the craft turned out alright in this instance but a beached boat is a still boat and would seem to be subject to counterattack, from either bank. I did not figure the role of the navy to act like infantry unloading from an APC to engage an ambush on foot. Has anyone asked other Swifties if this tactic was wise, normal, approved or was it novel and a spur of the moment opportunistic decision?

I can't help wonder what would of happened if while they were off the beached boats the VC opened up from the other bank? It would seem likely the boats would have been sitting ducks and would have been very hard to return to? The front gunners would have been of little use facing the wrong way to fend of an attack from the rear and the rear deck would have been an exposed kill zone. The top gunners would have been targeted for sure by snipers but then they supposedly could turn and pour 50's in return, if they survived the surprise.

As I say the tactic seems to have worked this time but I can't figure that it was the proper action for a PFC. The loss of mobility and the departure of crew members would seem to leave the primary military asset abandoned and exposed. Certainly an army tank crew would not jump out and pursue a single wounded VC would they?

Your thoughts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: