SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"nail in the coffin" ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redhawk34
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually used an M-79 from the wheelhouse. I could put a round fairly close to the Infantry out front without worrying about where the rounds would end up, as with a MG. Popped a NVA who had gotten behind the Grunts, once, and they were pissed-off, but it showed them where he was.
I guess you had the same weapons rust problem as we did. The salt spray and night mist would rust them up overnight. When I drew the Fifties and M-60, the Armorer solemnly issued me one bottle of LSA for each. Trouble is, it takes about three bottles to do a Fifty, and the dew washes it off. Got me a bucket of Automotive/Artillery grease, the real stiff amber stuff, and we wiped all the parts down with that. Looked like Hell, and grease flew everywhere for the first 50 rounds, but they didn't rust. One thing I will give a Fifty, it will eat ammo that is corroded green from salt without complaint.
Redhawk
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least on my boats, 1 at first and 2 later, every weapon with the exception of personal sidearms were at least partially taken down and swabbed and lubed every day of the week whether they had been fired or not. This included 2 20mm Aircraft Cannon, 1 M18 coffee grinder grenade launcher, 1 30 cal. MG, 2 .50 cal. MGs, 5 M-16s, 3 12 gauge shotguns, and 2 M-79s This was usually done at the end of a patrol or mission and weapons were either stored inboard or covered if left left on deck. We also used Arty Grease but warmed it to liquid form before use on exterior surfaces of the 20MMs and 50s
nakona
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xsquid -

You may also have had rather worn out examples.

I was issued my first A2 while stationed with the 8th ID in West Germany, and we got all the good stuff because we were part of what was supposed to plug up Fulda Gap when the Soviets came rolling in.

Last edited by nakona on Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Army chopper pilots and crew kept trying to buy my shotgun. They kept telling me I should just take a "combat loss" and get another one. Yeah...right! Lose your weapon in the Corps, you better be dead or stretcher meat if you ever want to see daylight again. No one tried to buy or steal an m-16, though. Wonder if that means anything?
xsquid
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nakona wrote:
xsquid -

You may also have had rather worn out examples.

I was issued my first A2 while stationed with the 8th ID in West Germany, and we got all the good stuff because we were part of what was supposed to plug up Fulda Gap when the Soviets came rolling in.

It could have been, I know all of them were like that though. Maybe we just had the crap.

Keeperrtc2
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: Grunts & the M14 Reply with quote

If I may be so bold as to suggest, when I was "in-country", 0311 grunt, all we had was the M14, M79, 45, H34Ds, and the gunship was a Huey with an M60 hanging out the door. We went in with our leather boots too! Anyhow, seeing the new "toys" the Marines have today, its awsome! Never heard anything good about the M16 from anyone who had fired the M14. We preferred to keep the bad guys out about 300 yds. Never heard that the M16 could do that accurately. Go swifties. Thanks for this board. I was in DC Memorial Day weekend and met a civilian who was working on the new weapons system. He said it was up & running. A 155 GPS guided artillery shell. Cool of true.
JN173
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Grunts & the M14 Reply with quote

Keeperrtc2 wrote:
We preferred to keep the bad guys out about 300 yds. Never heard that the M16 could do that accurately.

I was happy if I could just see 30 yards! Shocked
xsquid
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Grunts & the M14 Reply with quote

Keeperrtc2 wrote:
If I may be so bold as to suggest, when I was "in-country", 0311 grunt, all we had was the M14, M79, 45, H34Ds, and the gunship was a Huey with an M60 hanging out the door. We went in with our leather boots too! Anyhow, seeing the new "toys" the Marines have today, its awsome! Never heard anything good about the M16 from anyone who had fired the M14. We preferred to keep the bad guys out about 300 yds. Never heard that the M16 could do that accurately. Go swifties. Thanks for this board. I was in DC Memorial Day weekend and met a civilian who was working on the new weapons system. He said it was up & running. A 155 GPS guided artillery shell. Cool if true.

Yea, I've fired m-14's and liked them. To me they were much more accurate than the m-16's.

coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject: Fellow USAF non K9 Security Police thanks you. Reply with quote

War Dog wrote:
I like all other USAF Security Police K9's carried the GAU-5A. We had no problems with it, and it worked perfectly everytime I had occasion to use it. And you know that the K9's worked in some lousy weather conditions!

Woof!

I served in the Strategic Air Command providing security for the 80th mss missile wing. We had a bunch of .223 ammo left over from Vietnam so all us security guys would get 200 rounds every month or so to fire off down at the range. I do not recall ever having any trouble with my weapon. It was sort of fun seeing how the pattern on our targets would get tighter and tighter the longer we were in. Our training officer informed us, don’t ask me to count bullet holes in your target so you can get your expert marksman ribbon. His standard was when there is a hole in your target big enough for multiple rounds to pass through we would get our ribbons. I was fortunate enough to have gotton my expert rating during my training before in Texas. For some guys it took over a year to get a hole in there target that the training officer would accept.

When I was out in the prairie land of Wyoming, Nebraska or Colorado securing a missile silo I would unassembled and reassemble my m-16 over & over & over again and then I started doing it with my eyes closed. I do not recall what my best time was but it was seconds not minutes. I trained for war but never was called to participate in it.

I got laid off just before 9-11-01 and when the call went out for US Air Marshal’s I was excited about the opportunity to serve. However I am well beyond the 35 year old cut off and my application hit the trash heep.

As for the K9 unit at our base it got moved over to Law Enforcement and there big mission was to sniff out pot. Some of the guys started putting down some white pepper under door sills. Once the K9 got a snout full of pepper the dog would go into a fit of sneezing we would all hoot laugh. Looking back at it wasn’t so funny.

"Peace is our Profession"
Strategic Air Command - Motto

USAF 75-79 Security Police
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: