SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

John O'Neill on Bill O'Reilly Tuesday 09/07
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoophyDog
PO1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The door was opened. The Paris trip was mentioned. I'm sure there's going to be at least one outlet that, on review, see/hears that and goes HUH?
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O'Reilly is still hung up on "Primary Sources" as he calls them, and he weighs the accounts of 8 of the 10 who actually served on Kerry's boat plus Rassman more than he does the 250 others who served "with" Kerry and some who commanded him. These are the ones who travel around with Kerry (which should call their objectivity into question) and support his version of accounts, and not all of them support him both as a commanding officer and for President. Of the 10 who served on his boat with him, one crewmember is deceased, one has given SWORN first hand testimony against Kerry's versions of events, most served on his boat only a few days to a few weeks, Rassman was only a passenger on his boat for a short time, yet O'Reilly still emphasizes the handful over the many who knew him for much longer, many who were there before he arrived and were there after he left. O'Reilly needs to understand that being on a boat beside someone can often provide a better perspective to observe the person and his actions. I know from experience that is the case in flying formation, and I would assume it holds for driving boats as well.

Too bad John O'Neill was not allowed time to point out that Rassman originally claimed to be a member of Kerry's swiftboat crew (corrected rather quickly early on in an interview with a Foxnews reporter of all people) and that in one version he was on the #3 boat and in another version he was on Kerry's boat (did anyone ever figure out what a Special Forces field unit Awards and Decorations Officer was even doing on a swiftboat mission?). He has also said all boats fled, but even the Kerry campaign has admitted that only Kerry's boat left and later returned. In one account of his rescue, he said that Kerry reached down a bloody arm to rescue him and in another account, Kerry jumped into the water. He has never acknowledged that another boat was just yards away picking up others and would have picked him up next had Kerry not swooped in and "saved his life". This is a credible "Primary Source", Mr. O'Reilly? Even O'Reilly had to acknowledge the FACT that only Kerry's boat left. As John O'Neill pointed out, being in the water and hearing outgoing fire from all boats could have confused Rassman that there may have been incoming fire. He also spent a lot of time underwater, and he likely was disoriented by having just fallen off a boat.

Perhaps John O'Neill's strongest attribute was his calmness and the unemotional and clear answers that have become his trademark. If O'Reilly had a club under his chair in anticipation of using it to control John O'Neill if he started arguing, he realized pretty quickly he wasn't going to get a chance to use it -- unless it would be on himself to clear the predjudice out of his own brain.

Maybe Bill O'Reilly will finally stop slandering the Swiftboat Veterans for Truth, but as someone pointed out, he is a friend of John Kerry, and John Kerry is known for surrounding himself with persons of "questionable honesty". Hopefully, Bill O'Reilly is the exception to the rule.
Stevie
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cipher

yep, these people are fast... I type slow .... and have to think - that slows me down

tho, I have set up my computer in my bedroom in front of the tv.... only because it's the only room w/ air conditioning and the only space in this room for it! I didn't know when I did it how helpful it would be - I wasn't on the forum yet! it really works out well... and I don't thnk I'll move it back to the other room when the temps go down here in AZ
zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, it's impossible to understand that everyone who posted to this thread saw the same show. Sad
Billman
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most hilarious aspect for me was O'Reilly's "new information we've uncovered", which he'd earlier touted on the radio show. It was all old news or trivial:

* Kerry's Yale commencement speech demonstrates he was anti-war well before Vietnam
* Some irrelevant comment from Hackworth
* There was some medal inflation in Vietnam v. WWII
* A new (?) comment from a highly-decorated officer, that Kerry served honorably in Vietnam but not afterwards with his antiwar comments

Yawn.

These were all dispensed with quickly in the opening few minutes - as O'Reilly made each point, O'Neill simply agreed, except on medal inflation within Swift units. He also pointed out the officer (didn't catch the name) wasn't present on most of Kerry's actions.

Overall impression? Strong showing, despite O'Reilly's smugness. There is no way - no possible way - O'Reilly could have been more supportive, let alone enthusiastic, given his earlier rash comments. It's just a fantasy to imagine otherwise. But not only has he turned around, some strong points were quietly made on this program, before millions of viewers.

Next step: encourage Bill to get Kerry on the show - Kathy Kay's earlier insight was brilliant!
Misty
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LiveFreeOrDie wrote:
I have lost all respect for O'Reilly, and even if he now takes the side of SBVT, I will still despise him.

It is unforgiveable that a commentator with the largest audience on TV irresponsibly condemned the Swift Vets without even checking the facts. And not once, but repeatedly.

He is like John Kerry, trying to take whatever position he believes will maximize his ratings, no matter how ludicrous, illogical or inane it may be.

He is a disgrace to the integrity of Fox News. They should fire him.

I agree. I suspect BOR escaped service in Vietnam by means that were not generally acceptable. Could be he would be vilified by the dems if he took a stronger position.
Brother was on the USS Regulus - Vietnam
Husband was AirForce 3rd (34th) Tactical Fighter Wing - Security Police Bien Hoa Vietnam
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why he taught in a private High School after he graduated from college. There was a specific deferment for teachers. My Brother-in-law who now works for the DOD did the same thing.
IamHG
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually thought BOR did a pretty nice Job with O Neil. Especially considering the unfair critiques he had given [before] he read the book. I do not have the same lowly esteme for him as I do for Mathews.. I think Bill tried to [finally] be fair.

O Neil was as always.. superb !!
Hammer2
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, cut Bill some slack. He has just begun his education on this issue. I am sure there are many of us here who started out sceptical but have had our minds changed by the facts.

I see BOR as a typical "Reagan Democrat". He calls himself an independent which I interpet as being a traditional Democrat who is disgusted by what his party has become. He has enough issues with the Republicans to not become one. In this he is much like Zell Miller.
He seems relatively balanced, most of the time, and how you see him seems to be related more to whose ox he is goring than anything else.

He does have some hot button issues that set him off. He loves this country, he dosen't like big corporations, he hates liars, and he hates cowards. His first read on the Swifties was that they were slimeing a decorated veteran. How would we feel about some group attacking Bob Dole's service? Right, but the folks let him know he was off base. So he dug deeper. Now it looks like he's realized he was too hasty. He's not ready to believe Kerry is the traitor most of us see him as, but look how far he has come from his initial position.

We need to understand that there are a lot of people just like Bill out there who are suspicious of what the Swifties are doing. Good solid traditional Americans. My family is full of people like Bill. My grandfathers and uncles were mostly Union men and Democrats, and lifelong autoworkers. Great people who don't have much use for the leftists running the Democratic party today. People who are very much like Bill, who comes from a family of steelworkers.

We just need to be patient, persuade gently, point them to the facts, and show them that we aren't a bunch of kooks - they'll come around. Look what a difference there is already!
jrsdad
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The most hilarious aspect for me was O'Reilly's "new information we've uncovered", which he'd earlier touted on the radio show. It was all old news or trivial:

* Kerry's Yale commencement speech demonstrates he was anti-war well before Vietnam
* Some irrelevant comment from Hackworth
* There was some medal inflation in Vietnam v. WWII
* A new (?) comment from a highly-decorated officer, that Kerry served honorably in Vietnam but not afterwards with his antiwar comments

Yawn.

This was what struck me about the piece - how the great O'Reilly investigators came up with this stuff.

First, most of the new points his "research staff" came up with were from UFC or ToD. Asking O'Neill if he knew these things shows that he is clueless about all that is known and discussed about Kerry. The implication was that his staff had done some "investigating". I plan on sending him a copy of my FAQ and saying, "investigate this".

I had recorded it for later viewing, and had seen some comments saying he had at least read the book, but I don't think he has. Using Hackworth on medals is a bit much - a real investigation (I would *love* to have his investigative resources!) would pull up stats on medals for CosDiv 11. If you want to talk about medal inflation, lets start off with some stats. How come the guys who were there much longer didn't get the same number of medals? Were they all chicken?

Bill avoided the real issues. He only has 5 things to cover - 2 December 68, 28 February 69, 13 March 69, Christman 1968 and back home. I was surprised he didn't say anything about O'Neill's comment about Paris - isn't that a real corker, Bill? Doesn't that get your journalists' instincts aquiverrin'?

The only thing I'll give him is that he held O'Neill over - but he placed him on the bottom of the show, which doesn't have the pull the top does.

I give O'Reilly a C, C-. I think that even if he realized he has been wrong he couldn't admit it. He said that Chris Wallace had "disproved" some claims.. which? I wasn't aware that any had been "disproved". Contradicted, yes; disproved, no. There is a difference, Bill. That's why we have courts, because contradictory statements and evidence are generally not conclusive without adjudication.

I was very frustrated. O'Reilly did us no good. He managed to minimize any impact O'Neill could have had by muddying the waters with his initial statements.

Which was his intent, I'm sure.

BTW, how many of you "right wing ideologues" here wrote the show? He obviously lumped anyone who wrote in favor of the SBVFT in with that group. Hey, Bill, we're not all right wing ideologues!

It didn't help our case; it may have hurt because now people can say, "See, there's nothing there, let's move on."

Time for another ad...
85 Scott
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think O'Reilly's eyes may have been opened after he read Unfit For Command.

O'Reilly basically concluded that....

* Kerry was anti-war before he ever went to Vietnam
* Kerry likely exaggerated on his war record
* Kerry was 100% wrong to do what he did when he came back

Now I would loved to have had the 1971 assassination plot, the secret commie meetings, and that hideous cover on Kerry's anti-American book debated too - but overall, I thought the Swiftboats scored big.

I was expecting a "bunch of excuses" from O'Reilly too. But except for saying that both Bush and Kerry were patriots for their service, I thought O'Reilly made Kerry look bad.

And by mentioning Kerry's anti-war speeches at Yale, I think many viewers will conclude that Kerry may have gone to Vietnam with a pre-conceived "add war on resume" agenda for later political exploitation.
Spiess
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps a bunch of us should write a "piffy" question.
What the hell did he say about Paris and dealing with the enemy?
ccwebb
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:34 am    Post subject: O'Reilly Reply with quote

I had taped BOR and just saw the O'Neill interview.

I didn't put a stopwatch on it but I would guess that Bill O'Reilly did 90-95% of the talking and O'Neill the remainder. That is hardly an interview.

It reminded me of a court deposition where O'Neill was basically restricted to yes/no answers. Whenever O'Neill tried to elaborate he was cut off by BOR. And the points he did get in went right by BOR.

To me, it was obvious that BOR was trying to get this interview past him ( he said he'd received a lot of flack from swifties,etc), I thought BOR was smug and dismissive. BOR failed to consider that a person who lied and cheated and defamed vets was now running for president and CIC.

Charlie
Bernard Cullen
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:08 pm    Post subject: Next Steps Reply with quote

Take the win. Mr. O'Neill did a great job. BOR was as "open" as you could reasonably expect given his past comments.

Now the issue is the next Ads and most importantly the placement of these Ads. Fox is largely for the converted. We need a broader audience. Fortunately MNF will soon be here and that is definitely a place to go, along with 60 Minutes. But this means big $$. Is it feasible?

Bernie
leeinwv
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad Bill didn't go at him with rage. I think Bill has changed his mind a little. I just think it is more important than he acted like it was. This man is running for president and I don't think he has changed much now
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 16 of 18

Jump to: