SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NY Times: Kerry Pressing Swiftboat Case, Long After Loss
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kate, thank you for that 1996 quote from the Boston Globe:

Quote:
Boston Globe October 6, 1996
<snip>

pointing to where he brought the boat ashore, and explaining how he returned later with a Super 8 millimeter hand-held movie camera to record highlights of the mission. "That's me right there. One of my crew was filming all this."
<snip>

so focused on his future ambitions that he would reenact the moment for film. Kerry says he shot his war footage on a Super 8 camera he bought at the PX in Cam Ranh Bay. Asked how he filmed in the heat of battle, he demonstrated, gripping an imaginary ship's helm and thrusting his camera hand out to the side. "I'd steer, or direct, or fire my gun, and hold onto it when I could," Kerry says. "Sometimes the other guys would pick it up."

I strongly suggest saving this, and anything else related to it, because the image that the above words evoked in my mind just won't go away. How absolutely preposterous, and how outrageously immature and irresponsible, it is for a commissioned officer, skipper of his own boat, with responsibility for his own men, to be going into "heat of battle" with a damn movie camera in one hand!!!!!! (Reenactment is one thing, but apparently - in his own words - he's here admiting that he did it during the real thing.

I don't propose that anyone do anything about this now, or even ever (maybe one of his opponents will find this comment and it will plant a seed). But I can just imagine a short commercial, using a clearly labeled reenactment of the scene the above quote evokes, with his own quoted words simultaneously shown on the screen. If that picture doesn't completely repulse the mature voter, I honestly don't know what will. In fact the whole theme of sKerry and his movie camera - "cameraman or hero?" - is just ripe for development.
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In fact the whole theme of sKerry and his movie camera - "cameraman or hero?" - is just ripe for development.

That's genius right there, folks. Makes a good, short video and exposes Kerry for what he is, in his own words. There's no defense against that type of thing by Kerry. Wink
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anker-Klanker, the article that those quotes came from is saved. That and some others about skeery are in a thread in R&R Older Newspaper Articles

page 3 has articles related to Kerry's 1996 reelection campaign - Kerry's war record was an issue in that election
... see what was said then. Some insight into his (self-created) inner conflicts.

esp Oct 6, 22, 27

Last edited by kate on Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Uisguex Jack
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was having a nice Memorial day before reading this. This guy really is like ant's at a picnic.

Quote:
republicanveteran wrote:
Is it possible that this collossal idiot has lied so much that now he believes his own lies?

Yes. And that is the danger when dealing with narcissists in positions of power. They can get really nasty, especially after once being ego-bruised.

These are kind of important issues.

I really liked the word Manifesto used early on in the Nytimes article.
I'm thinking they get Noam Chomsky to do thier writing for them from time to time.
Navy wife
Research Director

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you all will be interested in reading the post on the Democracy Project web site where Bruce Kessler brings to light Ms. Zernike's own words that contradict what she wrote about Cambodia. Check it out. http://www.democracy-project.com/
mathman
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: sKerry Reply with quote

He's BAACK!!! 'Evil or Very Mad'

And I thought we had seen the last of him.
More lies. More distortions.
Photographs (of unknown provenance) showing events of dubious date, displayed to disprove challenges to his lies.
More obfuscation about Cambodia.
What is it with this guy?

Does he have the OJ disease? Has he talked himself into believing his own false story?

And he was chosen to run for President?

God help us all!
Aristotle The Hun
PO1

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://justoneminute.typepad.com/main/2006/05/bring_it_on.html

JustOneMinute wrote:
Bring It On

John Kerry wants to re-fight the Swift Boats wars. My goodness, that is the only thing that could get the Times to cover this - during his campaign they stayed about as far from this story as Kerry was from Cambodia at Christmas time.

Let me seize on just one detail - this relates to Kerry's controversial first Purple Heart:

But he can also barely resist prosecuting a case against the group that his friends now refer to as "the bad guys." "Bill Schachte was not on that skimmer," Mr. Kerry says firmly. "He was not on that skimmer. It is a lie to suggest that he was out there on that skimmer."

He shows a photograph of the skimmer being towed behind his Swift boat, insisting that it could barely fit three people, himself and two others.

"The three guys who in fact were in the boat all say he wasn't there and will tell you he wasn't there. We know he wasn't there, and we have all kinds of ways of proving it."

Fine - here is a link to the Schachte story, here are my questions about that incident, and here are my two suggestions for resolving it:

(1) Show us Kerry's diary, aka the "War Notes". Surely his first combat and first medal merited a contemporaneous account, yes? But that has never been made public, and Brinkley does not refer to Kerry's notes for that portion of his Kerry biography.

(2) Show us the paperwork backing the first Purple Heart - it should include a witness statement of the circumstances surrounding his wound; Kerry never released that during the campaign.

This should be beautiful. [More Schachte backstory from May 4 - "Schachte ready to re-engage in Kerry Purple Heart dispute"]

And just to be clear - I have no interest in beating on Kerry like a rented mule (again). I am much more curious to see whether we can demonstrate that the MSM was horribly deficient in their coverage of this story. My recollection, which may be colored by hyperbole, is that the entire NY Times coverage amounted to one story saying "The Swift Boat Veterans are lying because Kerry says they are". That does not count the snide and ignorant asides in seemingly unrelated stories or misleading columns by Nick Kristof or the rest of the stable.

The Washington Post took a good look at one incident (Kerry's Bronze Star), ran a pro-Kerry headline, and concluded that they could not sort it out. The WaPo did not research the possibility (really, a high probability) that Kerry himself wrote the report on which the Navy records are based.

But that ambiguity notwithstanding, and notwithstanding Kerry's refusal to authorize the release of his military records, we can still get statements like this in the Times:

Naval records and accounts from other sailors contradicted almost every claim they made, and some members of the group who had earlier praised Mr. Kerry's heroism contradicted themselves.

And note how the Times puts itself firmly in Kerry's camp with their framing of the "Christmas in Cambodia" story:

...[Kerry's defenders] have returned, for instance, to the question of Cambodia and whether Mr. Kerry was ever ordered to transport Navy Seals across the border, an experience that he said made him view government officials, who had declared that the country was not part of the war, as deceptive.

The Swift boat group insisted that no boats had gone to Cambodia. But Mr. Kerry's researcher, using Vietnam-era military maps and spot reports from the naval archives showing coordinates for his boat, traced his path from Ha Tien toward Cambodia on a mission that records say was to insert Navy Seals.

The Times version sort of gives short shrift to his speech on the floor of the US Senate where Kerry was quite emphatic about the date:

Mr. President, I remember Christmas of 1968 sitting on a gunboat in Cambodia. I remember what it was like to be shot at by Vietnamese and Khmer Rouge and Cambodians, and have the President of the United States telling the American people that I was not there; the troops were not in Cambodia.

I have that memory which is seared-seared-in me, that says to me, before we send another generation into harm's way we have a responsibility in the U.S. Senate to go the last step, to make the best effort possible in order to avoid that kind of conflict.

Bring it on.

MORE: Check the pop-up graphic for Kerry's new evidence, apparently meant to be in his defense. I am especially amused by "Kerry versus Kerry":

The Silver Star: Swift Boat Veterans for Truth said the enemy whom Mr. Kerry shot and killed in the incident for which he won a Silver Star was actually a wounded and fleeing teenager "in a loincloth".

Mr. Kerry says his [recently discovered] photograph shows the body of a man fully dressed and lying face-up, suggesting, he says, that the man was shot while approaching.

Does the Times really not understand how absurd this is? There were no Swift Boat Veterans for Truth at the scene of the Silver Star incident - all they did was compare different versions of the incident as described in Kerry's medal citation and by Kerry himself, years later, to the Boston Globe. Here is the newly debunked John Kerry speaking to the Globe for a 2003 series:

On Feb. 28, 1969, Kerry's boat received word that a swift boat was being ambushed. As Kerry raced to the scene, his boat became another target, as a Viet Cong B-40 rocket blast shattered a window. Kerry could have ordered his crew to hit the enemy and run. But the skipper had a more aggressive reaction in mind. Beach the boat, Kerry ordered, and the craft's bow was quickly rammed upon the shoreline. Out of the bush appeared a teenager in a loin cloth, clutching a grenade launcher.

An enemy was just feet away, holding a weapon with enough firepower to blow up the boat. Kerry's forward gunner, Belodeau, shot and clipped the Viet Cong in the leg. Then Belodeau's gun jammed, according to other crewmates (Belodeau died in 1997). Medeiros tried to fire at the Viet Cong, but he couldn't get a shot off.

In an interview, Kerry added a chilling detail.

"This guy could have dispatched us in a second, but for ... I'll never be able to explain, we were literally face to face, he with his B-40 rocket and us in our boat, and he didn't pull the trigger. I would not be here today talking to you if he had," Kerry recalled. "And Tommy clipped him, and he started going [down.] I thought it was over."

Instead, the guerrilla got up and started running. "We've got to get him, make sure he doesn't get behind the hut, and then we're in trouble," Kerry recalled.

So Kerry shot and killed the guerrilla. "I don't have a second's question about that, nor does anybody who was with me," he said. "He was running away with a live B-40, and, I thought, poised to turn around and fire it." Asked whether that meant Kerry shot the guerrilla in the back, Kerry said, "No, absolutely not. He was hurt, other guys were shooting from back, side, back. There is no, there is not a scintilla of question in any person's mind who was there [that] this guy was dangerous, he was a combatant, he had an armed weapon."

Teenager in a loin-cloth? So says the Globe.

Fleeing? So says Kerry, unless "running away" has a new meaning (say it with me - he was for the guy fleeing until he was against it...).

Wounded? What else could be meant by "Kerry's forward gunner, Belodeau, shot and clipped the Viet Cong in the leg."

Well. If the Times want to continue to run photos purporting to show that Kerry is full of it, I'm cool.

And the "Christmas in Camopdia" rebuttal is classic - For the disputed incident the memory of which is seared into Kerry, where he claims to have spent Christmas in Cambodia, Kerry can now demonstrate that he was within 35 miles of the border! Getting closer!

MORE: Some of Kerry's military records are available at FindLaw - the Times has a link saying ""Kerry's Military Service Records". This is the material that was on Kerry's website during the campaign. As we know (but Times readers do not), this is not complete.

WHAT THE HAIL IS GOING ON?

My email to the Times on yeat another laugher in their story:

Gentleman;

Regarding "Kerry Pressing Swift Boat Case Long After Loss
By KATE ZERNIKE, Ms. Zernike reported this:

The group has sent a letter to Mr. Schachte calling for a meeting with him, Mr. Kerry and two former veterans who maintain — as they did publicly during the campaign — that they were the only other people on the skimmer with Mr. Kerry and that he was wounded in a hail of enemy fire.

"Wounded in a hail fo fire" - I would be curious to see the Times document just when they said that, since it represents a substantial change in their story.

The Boston Globe published a Kerry biography in 2004 and interviewed both Zaldonis and Runyon about this indicent. Here we go (excerpted by the Wash Times):

Zaldonis and Runyon both said they were too busy to notice how Kerry was hit.
"I assume they fired back," Zaldonis said. "If you can picture me holding an M-60 machine gun and firing it -- what do I see? Nothing. If they were firing at us, it was hard for me to tell."
Runyon said he assumed the suspected Viet Cong fired back because Kerry was hit by a piece of shrapnel.
"I can't say for sure that we got return fire or how [Kerry] got nicked," Runyon told the Globe. "I know he did get nicked, a scrape on the arm."

So how did "What do I see - nothing" and "I can't say for sure we got return fire" add up to "a hail of fire"?

Did their story change (and is that newsworthy?), or did your reporter get this wrong?

I assume you will pursue this with zeal, since, as Kerry noted, "They lied and lied and lied about everything". Well, he meant the Swift Boat vets, but maybe there are other sources of bad information as well.

Have a great weekend.

Boston Globe book:
John F. Kerry: The Complete Biography By The Boston Globe Reporters Who Know Him Best

The Times always welcomes reader feedback: public@nytimes.com

Now, I don't imagine the Times will follow up on a point they raised in the story when they wrote this:

"The three guys who in fact were in the boat all say he wasn't there and will tell you he wasn't there," he said. "We know he wasn't there, and we have all kinds of ways of proving it."

However, if they do have an investigative reporter to spare, they might ponder this - there is precious little evidence, beyond their say-so, that Zaldonis and Runyon were on that skimmer with Kerry.

These skimmer crews were put together on an ad-hoc basis, and Runyon never served with Kerry before or after that night. Zaldonis, however, ended up on Kerry's boat (PCF-44) a week later.

But puzzle over this - Kerry did not remember the names of the two men in the skimmer with him when he discussed it with the Boston Globe in 2003. And Douglas Brinkley, who wrote Keery's "Tour of Duty" did not identify the two men either, even though he interviewed Zaladonis for the book.

I find that odd - here is Zaladonis being interviewed about his personal history with Kerry and he never mentions that he was with Kerry when Kerry had his first combat and got his first Purple Heart? How did that not come up?

And why is there no apparent mention of Kerry's first medal in his own war diary? Brinkley never cites that as a source for his coverage of this incident. However, Captain Ed finds Kerry's diary to be illuminating on another point - here is what Kerry wrote on Dec 11, 1968, just a week after being under a "hail of fire":

'A cocky feeling of invincibility accompanied us up the Long Tau shipping channel because we hadn't been shot at yet, and Americans at war who haven't been shot at are allowed to be cocky.'"

Waddya mean "we", Tall Guy - you and Zaladonis had been shot at a week earlier, yes?

Oh, well - Zaladonis and Runyon emerged in April 2004 to defend Kerry's first Purple Heart, so I guess they remembered by then.

note: Quotation BBCode format added/me#1
Aristotle The Hun
PO1

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read it for yourself at the source

Quote:
BY JAMES TARANTO
Tuesday, May 30, 2006 3:15 p.m. EDT

Questions Raised About Kerry War Record
NYTimes

When John Kerry* ran for president, he offered one compelling qualification for the world's highest office: He was a hero of the Vietnam War. True, America lost that war--but it was in spite of, rather than because of, Kerry's battlefield efforts.

Now, however, the New York Times reports that a group called Swift Boat Veterans for Truth is raising questions about Kerry's war record and leveling "accusations that Mr. Kerry fabricated the military reports that led to his military decorations."

Kerry is taking the charges seriously, the Times reports:

His supporters are compiling a dossier that they say will expose every one of the Swift boat group's charges as a lie and put to rest any question about Mr. Kerry's valor in combat. . . .

Mr. Kerry has signed forms authorizing the Navy to release his record--something he resisted during the campaign--and hired a researcher to comb the naval archives in Washington for records that could pinpoint his whereabouts during dates of the incidents in dispute.

Let's just hope that isn't the same guy who helped O.J. Simpson find the real killer.

Strangely, the Times reports that "people within the Kerry campaign believed that the attacks had cost their candidate the presidency." This is hard to understand, since it would suggest that the questions about Kerry's war record were raised before the 2004 election. If that were true, wouldn't the New York Times have reported on them back then?

* At least he served in Vietnam, unlike Harry Pelosi and Nancy Reid!

long link converted/kate BBCode quote added/me#1

mtboone
Founder

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Oh, well - Zaladonis and Runyon emerged in April 2004 to defend Kerry's first Purple Heart, so I guess they remembered by then."

Zaladonis and Runyon are not the topic and should not be the topic. I feel angered that you are attacking them. They remember their time with Kerry and they just stated their statements. They have not attacked any of their Swift Mates to my knowledge and I will not allow anyone to speak unkindly towards them. They served and how they vote is their own decision, kerry and wade sanders is a different story, they attacked us personally and with threathen leagal action.

So please be careful how you talk about my Swift Mates.
RiflemanDD730
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The controversy between William Schachte and two of John Kerry’s supporters (William Zaldonis and Patrick Runyon) concerning Kerry’s 1st Purple Heart may turn out to be very important to the SBVT. The issue is credibility.

Schachte claims to have been with Kerry during the incident. Zaldonis and Runyon say he was not there. Someone has the facts wrong, either intentionally or through faulty memory. If Zaldonis and Runyon are right the SBVT is likely to sustain a great loss of credibility.

If the SBVT loses credibility because of this side issue it will be very unfortunate because the 1st Purple Heart is one area where the facts strongly support the SBVT. In my FOIA request to the Naval Inspector General’s office for their documents concerning the 1st PH they confirmed that Kerry’s records did not contain the specific documents that normally authorize a PH. That is, his record did not contain a commanding officers request, an after action report, a casualty report or a witness report. The Naval IG reported that Kerry’s medals were properly awarded on the basis of the “presumption of regularity”, that is there was nothing in the record that indicated that he should not have received a medal and since he received it, it must be OK.

Again, someone has the facts wrong and if it’s Schachte it would be in the interest of the SBVT to find out and set the record straight so that the focus will remain on the real issues (hostile fire and gaming the system) rather than who was in the boat.

With regard to comments concerning Zaldonis and Runyon, whether they have attacked the SBVT in the past or not should have no bearing on questioning their veracity, likewise for Schachte. Facts are facts and if Zaldonis, Runyon or Schachte got them wrong then it’s too bad. Facts need to come out.

The SBVT may need to be very careful at this time. Kerry has initiated an attack on SBVT credibility and the MSM will probably support him. Getting it wrong on a side issue in the 1st PH incident instead of keeping focus on the documents could result in the SBVT being right but losing the PR battle.
ncoic6
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rifleman is 100% on target.

Both Schacte, on one hand, and Zaladonis & Runyon, on the other hand may honestly believe that their reminiscences are accurate. There is an incontrovertible clash in their stories and only one version can be correct (unless they are talking about two separate instances)

Whether Schacte was aboard or not is ultimately not dispositive as to whether the PH was justified - but will be treated as such by the MSM.

Given Kerry's penchant for overstatement, his ostensible repy to historian Brinkley on the circumstances surrounding PH No. 1 as a "half-assed action" suggests that there was less to this than met even Kerry's eye.

NCOIC6
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a recent (May) article & discussion, down the page a bit on this thread that may be of interest

Schachte ready to re-engage in Kerry Purple Heart dispute
Quote:

"They say you weren't on that boat, but that you might have been on board the accompanying Swift Boat."

The admiral bristles at such a premise ……….

NortonPete
PO2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Every word posted is important but lets not lose focus Reply with quote

I see everyones point but please reread the following.
Do not spend time questioning those who did their duty honorably

Here is a quote from Military Magazine http://www.milmag.com/
( Please subscribe )

Please read it and remember this SBVT strongest and everlasting TRUTH.

John O'Neill -- On the writing of "Unfit for Command"
Please reread this:

>The smallest reason it got written is the exaggeration of his service record. Candidly, when we sat and watched the exaggeration of a minor three-month record in Viet-Nam — the shortest to many of us — into some self-proclaimed war hero… it’s simply a fraud on the American people.

More significant to us though, than the exaggeration of his record, is his lies about our record.

We lost 55 people in Viet-Nam. We lost 58,000 among all of us. They were not the army of Genghis Khan, they were not war criminals, and John Kerry knew that about our unit even based on [his] short service.

The final and [main] reason we wrote this book is that we sincerely believe that this man would be a terrible Commander-in-Chief for our kids in a time of crisis for the United States; a time when we are fighting Islamic fascism — a shadowy, difficult foe — and we have kids in Afghanistan and Iraq.

The real reason we’re here is [that] so many of us had to ask ourselves “How could we ever talk to our kids, our grandkids, our nephews and nieces [if we] let this fellow be selected without at least letting the American people know the truth about it?”
>>>>>>continued...
His conduct in Viet-Nam, even for the short period he was there, was bizarre. He carried a camera everywhere. You all have seen the videotape where he marches around with the bandoleers and the gun and so on. It’s been shown 70-million-dollars worth. We didn’t have bandoleers, we didn’t march around with guns; we were on Swift Boats. It’s simply a fraud. The flight jacket with the patch and all the rest of it — we didn’t wear a flight jacket, the temperature was 95°. We never would have made it. I never saw a flight jacket in the area we were in.

His career was actually short and controversial. He arrived there and spent four months in Viet-Nam. He was the only one in the history of our unit in the Viet-Nam War to leave in less than the standard one-year, except for someone who was seriously wounded or killed. He did this by getting three very controversial Purple Hearts, invoking a rule, and heading for home at the end of three months of combat.

I won’t speak to the Purple Hearts individually because they are covered in the book and there is a limitation of time. Two of the three of them are clearly self-inflicted wounds. I don’t mean [that] he tried to wound himself; I mean [that] he wounded himself with grenades [which] he threw too close; there was no hostile fire. He then misreported those to the Navy and I believe that’s established by the documentation. For example, on the third occasion he admitted he wounded himself by throwing a grenade into some rice. Yet, [in] the official Navy Report from the Navy archives (which anybody can get), he reported to the United States Navy that it came from a water mine. It didn’t come from a water mine; it came from his own grenade.

----------------------------------------

Please reread this and refresh yourself with who you are dealing with.
ncoic6
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NortonPete

Your sentiment is appreciated and most share the O'Neil summation as you have quoted it.

Yet, we are dealing with events from some time ago - for which a variety of memories, of varying acuity leave us with an incomplete picture. The documentary record is incomplete and remains to be supplemented.

We should ask for no less from our side than we expect from the other.

The issue has been heavily politicized, and the MSM has failed to give the subject a serious investigative treatment that it deserves.

If we take your initial words to heart - "do not spend time questioning those who did their duty honorably" - would that not also apply JFKerry and his crewmates?

If Kerry inflated his record, and gamed the system for an early out of VietNam, did he nonetheless serve honorably on a swift boat, brave hostile fire, earn the respect of his crewmates (save one)?

ncoic6
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ncoic6 (and others), a good read concerning this has been written by Thomas Lipscomb and can be found and read at RealClearPolitics.

The Truth, John Kerry, and The New York Times

Excellent read!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: