SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Foley, Studds and Frank. A study in selective outrage.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snipe
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Make no doubt about it, I believe that Foley is guilty - that's not my issue. My curious concern centers on the IMs, because I don't think they have been authenticated, and I'm having a huge problem with understanding why and how anyone would have saved those for 3 years - which gets at the heart of who else might have known about this, and what the larger story really is.

Well yeah. Guilty of e-mail sex maybe, but the idea is not so much that
he committed some crime, but that he was gay and in the closet. And
also Republican. This doesn't seem to be a crime if you're openly gay
and a Democrat...for some reason.

Rush was starting a pool for the next "revelation". He thinks that the
next "bombshell" will fall at 3:00 PM on Friday. What will it be? Who
knows, but it will be timed to hit the last of the news and be the topic of
all the weekend "talk" shows, with no hard news coming out until some
time on Monday morning. The "Clinton War Room" in full cry.
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a result of the panel discussion on Brit Hume's show on Fox yesterday, a moment of clarity came to me...

It seems that Republicans have long (self-) claimed to be the party of morals, ethics and family values, so the Foley disaster is being hurled back into their faces by Democrats as an example of Republican hypocracy, etc. It was commented that Democrats are not being judged by the same standards because they've never been known as the party of high values.

Well, I'd modify the Republican position to say that Republicans aspire to those values, but being humans, too, don't always attain them.

But a party with no such aspirations?? That certainly explains the easy "pass" MSM is giving the Democrats/Liberals/Progressives, and also explains why there is apparently no embarassment of double-standards among them.

Gotta tell ya - that revelation hit me between the eyes like a baseball bat!
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the the comments section at polipundit.com:

Quote:
Re: Unless the Democrats in Congress knew about it and said nothing. Here is copy of an email I sent PoliPundit this morning:

FYI, you may have heard this, but Selena Zito with the Pittsburgh Tribune
Review (I’m pretty sure that’s right) called in on a local (Birmingham,
Alabama) talk radio program this morning. She said a major story might
break today that a high ranking Democrat knew about the Foley matter and she hinted there was coordination with ABC, probably through George
Stephanopoulos to release the story. (Not taking away from what a
disgusting creep Foley is, but considering the reaction by the Dems to the
story, this would look pretty bad for them IMO). Zito said she had a few
more facts to verify, she does not want to report anything until she’s
absolutely certain.
She also said other “outings” would most likely occur before the election
and would further hurt the Republicans although she said Democrats would
probably be affected as well.
I’m paraphrasing what she said, this is basically the gist of it. When the
talk radio host asked when this might come out, she said he would be her
second phone call.
Left by jrooney on October 4th, 2006

FromThomas Lifson:
Quote:
Dramatis Personae

Steve Gilbert of Sweetness & Light uncovers a very interesting item from the Washington Blade, a gay newspaper, about Mike Rogers and John Aravosis, who have come under scrutiny elsewhere as possibly involved in the black blog stopsexpredators.com. Rogers had posted about Foley on his own site Blogactive. They let their mouths run a bit to a friendly rag.

Rogers said the outings have picked up steam — from 13 documented offices to nearly 20 currently on a target list provided by Rogers to the Blade.

In addition to Tolman, Rogers and Aravosis, working in tandem but not together, claimed in the last week to have outed via the Web Democratic Sen. Barbara Mikulski of Maryland and Republican Congressman Mark Foley of Florida…

Aravosis said he obtained the latest information about the five-term congressman from Foley’s former chief of staff, Kirk Fordham.

Steve gathers some other damning evidence,

it seems very probable that one or all of the gentlemen mentioned in this article have had a hand in the recent revelations about Mark Foley.

It is equally likely that one or all of them is behind the anonymous website, StopSexPredators.blogspot.com, that first produced Foley’s alleged emails out of the blue.

Michael Rogers started his own website, blogactive.com, back in July of 2004.

Oddly enough, there was a significant drop-off in his activities there after July of this year, which is when StopSexPredators.blogspot.com was begun.

and

in his latest post at Blogactive Michael Rogers shows he has to Mark Foley’s IM account.

The FBI is investigating the case. They have the power to put these people under oath. I hope they are already using it.

It appears that these men wanted certain congressmen to vote in favor of gay agenda.
Isn't the attempt to extort or threaten a US congressman, in order to influence legislation, or an election is a Federal Crime?
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
Doll
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anker-Klanker wrote:
Doll, just a technicality here, but it may yet turn out to be important...

Quote:
...IM's and emails can be verified through ones ISP provider, for example if he had AOL they would be validified through AOL because they cannot only trace date, time stamp, but they can actually trace your alais--all going back to the ISP or address from your computer...

I know you can do all that with email, but I'm not so sure about IMs. But the fact remains that no one could possibly have done that since all this first came up late last week - i.e., that the computer forensics trick has not been done yet; not enough time has elapsed. Insofar as I know, the repulsive IMs only exist in paper form (at least I've not heard of anyone having "original" electronic copies.)

So the question remains: how does anyone know for sure - at this stage - that those IMs were not faked?

When confronted with the evidence of the emails and IMs Foley definitely knew his game was over. That, in and of itself, does not say that he confirmed the IMs as authentic, though.

Make no doubt about it, I believe that Foley is guilty - that's not my issue. My curious concern centers on the IMs, because I don't think they have been authenticated, and I'm having a huge problem with understanding why and how anyone would have saved those for 3 years - which gets at the heart of who else might have known about this, and what the larger story really is.

I agree with you, except for the IM part. That can be done and traced the same way as an email is. LOL! The only reason I am familiar with this information is because my cousin works for the FBI in the mid-west and he was the one that schooled me on Phorensic Cyber Experts.

And they probably did not do all that yet, but rest assured if there was a crime committed here the FBI will.

Shawa wrote:
It appears that these men wanted certain congressmen to vote in favor of gay agenda.

Isn't the attempt to extort or threaten a US congressman, in order to influence legislation, or an election is a Federal Crime?

Well, if it is not a crime it should be Shawa. This is getting uglier by the day and it sickens me to think that people would stoop so low.

The HILL Chronicles

Soldiers' Angels

"Wednesday Hero - Google It!"

Last edited by Doll on Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doll is 100% correct on the IM history thing.
If it's AOL, they can certainly provide every IM, date, time-stamp, etc.
My daughter once used a bad word in an AOL IM and they suspended my account. When I asked about it, they presented me with a complete history of every IM, email and chat that she'd ever done. I got my account reinstated after explaining (groveling) to them that she was a minor and I and her mother would punish her and restrict her internet habits.
If they can do this with my daughter, they can certainly do it to anyone.
Doll
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuffaloJack wrote:
Doll is 100% correct on the IM history thing.
If it's AOL, they can certainly provide every IM, date, time-stamp, etc.
My daughter once used a bad word in an AOL IM and they suspended my account. When I asked about it, they presented me with a complete history of every IM, email and chat that she'd ever done. I got my account reinstated after explaining (groveling) to them that she was a minor and I and her mother would punish her and restrict her internet habits.
If they can do this with my daughter, they can certainly do it to anyone.

Yes, AOL is very strict about verbiage, especially if it is foul. The same thing happened to a friend of ours whose son used 'choice' words. His parents did exactly like you did Jack and had their service reinstated. But what a hassle and inconvenience.

So you are 100% right to Jack. If they could do this with your daughter, our friends son, they can do this with anyone. But I doubt Foley had AOL, nonetheless, all ISP providers must provide the information if the FBI seeks it or they too will be in violation of the law.

The HILL Chronicles

Soldiers' Angels

Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those names, Mike Rogers and John Aravosis, are popping up all over the Internet as definitely having a hand in setting the ambush. I guess we can be grateful to them for being the agents that exposed a predator, or near-predator, who might otherwise have never been exposed. Their motivation and selectivity for exposure stink to high-Heaven, though.

We should not forget that this mess is a two-parter, despite the MSM and Democrats efforts to conflate the two. Foley was exposed and it appears to me that - IMHO - he deserves all the censure and punishment they can throw at him. His exposure is the first part.

The second part of the mess is who knew what and when (i.e., who was responsible for not exposing Foley before now.) The Democrats are doing their best make it sound like it was the "Republican leadership" who were the guilty parties of the second part. But, again IMHO, it's looking more and more like it was activists within the Democrats who are the guilty parties (I didn't say all Democrats, or even any elected Democrats - though they are definitely the ones trying to make hay while the sun shines - but rather political activists and behind-the-scene operatives aligned with the Democrats.)

And just to make it even more complicated, it is pretty obvious that certain right-wingers who have taken a dislike to Hastert for other sins (in their eyes) that he has committed, are using this scandal to try to bring him down. IMHO their motivations and methods stink just as badly (and I'm no fan of Hastert BTW).

What should have been a serious inquiry into a scandal has become nothing more than a Washington food fight. I guess it's all just normal pre-election Washington politics, but no wonder - sez I - that the average voter is confused, apathetic, or totally down on all politics and politicians.
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding IM recording and monitoring, and such, it is important to realize that - like much in the communication field - it is rapidly evolving. What might be true today was not necessarily true 3 years ago when the filth IMs in the Foley scandal were created.

Hugh Hewitt has a very good technical discussion of IM capability and evolution posted at his site, at:

http://hughhewitt.townhall.com/g/d4c30ddf-1365-46f1-8fb6-8d8c068f0d20

Be sure that you read this all the way down to the last posting. (Nothing in this discusses what might be found by computer forensics by experts, but that process had not been done when these IMs came to light.)
Doll
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anker-Klanker wrote:
What should have been a serious inquiry into a scandal has become nothing more than a Washington food fight. I guess it's all just normal pre-election Washington politics, but no wonder - sez I - that the average voter is confused, apathetic, or totally down on all politics and politicians.

I will ditto that. It is very confusing and as a side bar, I have stopped blogging because I am just sick of it. This is typical Beltway bashing-the one that can throw the fasted and hit the hardest.

You are right, this should have been a serious inquiry into a serious charge and scandal, but instead it is the typical D.C. political rubbish. I personally am of the opinion that this is more about winning in 2006 (certain DEM'S) and that is all. They really could careless what Foley did since some DEM'S track record are far worse. It is just about victory and beating up the Republican Party and Bush.

All one has to do is listen to Nancy Pelosi--she is the epitome of all that is corrupt in D.C. Actually I am in awe that big mouthed "Barbara Boxer" has not said a word, ad least I have not heard nor read anything coming from that moonbat about the Foley matter.

The HILL Chronicles

Soldiers' Angels

Doll
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read this at USNews.com --

Quote:
A Summary of Today's Top Political News Headlines From Taegan Goddard's Political Wire:

Foley's Seat a Changin'

In an election year this close, ticking off sure losses is a terrible sign for the GOP. That's just what some party leaders did yesterday for Mark Foley's seat. Florida State Rep. Joe Negron will succeed Foley as the Republican candidate, but his name won't appear on the ballot. Nope, Foley's name will remain. So Republicans will wind up having to persuade voters to vote Republican by voting for Foley, Political Wire notes. No wonder House Majority Leader John Boehner told Sean Hannity that losing the seat was a "foregone conclusion." This isn't the year to have foregone conclusions add up.

Foley Scandal Puts Republican House Head Campaigner in Trouble

The Foley scandal, Political Wire says, has placed another seat in jeopardy–that of Rep. Tom Reynolds, a New York Republican and head of the National Republican Congressional Committee. Reynolds says that he informed House Speaker Dennis Hastert about the E-mails Foley had sent a House page under the age of 18 but that he didn't know of the more sexually explicit instant messages that have been reported. Reynolds and House Majority Leader John Boehner have tried in recent days to distance themselves from the speaker as much as possible, but still some charge they failed to do enough. Reynolds faces Jack Davis, a wealthy Akron industrialist. First lady Laura Bush will headline a fundraiser today estimated to net $250,000.

Pombo on Notice

If the Democratic tidal wave crashes in on Election Day and Republicans lose control of the House by more than a mere handful of seats, expect some members of Congress who are rarely mentioned now on anyone's hot lists to be among those washed ashore. Take Rep. Richard Pombo of California. Political Wire explains that Pombo is increasingly endangered, with a new poll showing him behind his Democratic challenger by 2 percentage points and some political observers downgrading his re-election chances. The race may still lean his way, but if Republican troubles persist and something of a 1994-size romp metastasizes, Pombo and his more comfortable Republican peers may need to watch out
. (Emphasis mine)

The HILL Chronicles

Soldiers' Angels

shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A question that has been on my mind is that the damning IM's are from back in 2003. Nothing since then. Now it appears the source who provided the IMs is was Kirk Fordham, former Chief of Staff to Foley until January, 2004. He is gay and I think he may have been blackmailed?
He has changed his story twice, first saying he had no idea about Foley's IMs; then turns around and says he told Hastert about Foley last year. ???
The dates are interesting in that the incriminating IMs were generated in 2003 and stopped after Fordham quit as Foley's Chief of Staff, and after scummy Mike Rogers threatened to out Fordham.
Fordham has now retained an attorney and is being questioned by FBI.
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)

Last edited by shawa on Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all going to backfire BIG TIME.
"Oh, what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive."

Back when Rahm Emanuuel became head of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee. I just knew things were going to get down and dirty for this election. Emanuel was Bill Clinton's "Chief of Dirty Tricks". And that's what this whole Foley exposure is all about.

From The American Spectator
Quote:
They'll Regret It
By The Prowler
Published 10/5/2006 12:09:09 AM

"We're getting into very dangerous territory, and I've warned my colleagues to be careful." That's what a Democrat leadership aide was saying on Wednesday, as word circulated about David Corn's blog posting that revealed that a list of gay Republicans congressional staffers was circulating through emails.

Such a list has been talked about for months, if not years, by more militant homosexual activists, who have threatened to out Republican congressional staffers or even congressmen if they take positions counter to their gay lifestyle.

Now, in the wake of the Rep. Mark Foley scandal, a form of "the list" is again circulating among journalists and any other interested third parties.

"If that list is made public, all of the political gains we've made in the past 96 hours get flushed down the toilet," says the leadership aide.

Just as troubling are concerns among some House Democrat staff that there are potential scandals lurking of a similar vein for them. According to another Democrat source, "I've been warning my people to stay away from this story because you just don't know what will come back to bite you."

Of concern: that House Democrat leadership or Rep. Dale Kildee (Mich.), the Democrat member of the page board, who has served on it since 1985, or his staff have received complaints about Democrat colleagues' perceived inappropriate communications or contact with pages or former pages, and have not brought those complaints to the board or House management, such as the House Clerk's office. Kildee has been vocal about the Foley complaints not being brought before the full board prior to the scandal breaking, and the secretive nature of the Republican leadership's attempts to bring closure to the scandal.

"We all know this kind of scandal isn't just a Republican problem," says a Democrat political consultant in Washington. "We don't want to see what is out there about Democratic House members or former members."

But other Democrats say more is to come, that talk among Democrats around town is that researchers at CREW and the House Democrat Congressional Campaign Committee have in recent weeks been in contact, and that there are additional stories involving Republicans and questionable ethics behavior to be leaked closer to election time.

"It's gossip, and there is just a feeling that the DCCC is in on some of this and that there is more to come closer to Election Day. Remember, [DCCC Chairman Rahm] Emanuel has done this kind of stuff before back with the Clintons," says the Democrat consultant.

History certainly shows this to be a Democrat M.O. Back on October 30, 1992, Iran-Contra independent counsel Lawrence Walsh indicted former Defense Secretary Caspar Weinberger. This was the Friday before the election, and came at time when it appeared that then-President George H.W. Bush had closed the gap and possibly pulled ahead of challenger Gov. Bill Clinton. Adding to the notion that this was a political dirty trick was inclusion in the indictment of a January 7, 1986 note written by Weinberger that seemed to suggest that then Vice President Bush knew more about the arms-for-hostages deal than he had let on. Such a note was not legally required to be included in the indicting documents, and at the time was considered purely a dirty trick. More recently, Democrat operatives dropped the current President George W. Bush's old drunk driving story less than a week before Election Day 2000.

shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FOX News is Reporting Louis Freeh will be tapped by Hastert today to head an independent investigation of Foleygate. Also reporting that four dozen subpoenas have gone out. Drudge reporting it also.

EDIT:
JUST UP ON DRUDGE!!
According to two people close to former congressional page Jordan Edmund, the now famous lurid AOL Instant Message exchanges that led to the resignation of Mark Foley were part of an online prank that by mistake got into the hands of enemy political operatives, the DRUDGE REPORT can reveal... Developing...

shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pelosi and Dem leaders have nixed the Freeh appointment.
LOL!
They suddenly don't want a serious investigation. Or at least one that they can't control.
homesteader
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it may turn out that the entire Dem strategy and their philosophical positioning for the next election was based on a juvinile prank by a conservative Republican heterosexual former page. Do I smell some Roveian conspiracy accusations coming?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: