SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What would you like in a revised Ad?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
producehawk
PO1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:41 pm    Post subject: THE FIRST PURPLE HEART Reply with quote

How about having the admiral who was on the boston whaler when Kerry wounded himself, give his quick account. Then fade to Dr. Letson as he is explaining treating Kerry, but letting his corpman do the paperwork. Last have Hibard say he turned him down for a Purple Heart because it was a scratch. Then have a voice over say "sign you form 180 Kerry, What are you hiding". Or an add quickly attacking each of the lefts talking points would be effective.
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:44 pm    Post subject: What... Reply with quote

Mona, you're probably right on this one and I concede the point. I wrote that in a snit after seeing Kerry's picture with them. However, the root of his current coverup is wrapped around those who support him. I'd still like to see that information in another medium.
Mona
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herb wrote:
Like others, a brief clip of Kerry before Congress -- admitting his own war crims, Cambodia etc.

BUT, use NEWSPAPER VISUALS or other document ABOUT HIM since people seem to be influenced by such quotes where there is something written.

Something about it's now true until you see it written.

Also, defuse "attacks on the SwitfVets" by pointing out that Kerry changed his "Christmas in Cambodia" story TWICE when the vets pointed out the true -- and will likely have to change it again. (i.e., His boat says he was NEVER in Cambodia.)

Club for Growth should do the one about "irresponsible to vote againt the troops" the "I voted for it before I voted against it.

The Xmas in Cambodia lie is enromously impt, and it is what caused me to change my mind about the SBVTs and take a long look at their arguments. However, I am 48 years old and knowledgable about history.

Ads must target swing voters. My 25 yr old son is one such. He knows trifling little about the Viet Nam war, and would have no clue why a false claim of going into some exotic place called Cambodia is such a serious lie. I spent some 30 minutes today explaining that whole thing to him, and he now wants me to send him relevant links -- he had been tilting toward Kerry.

What he immediately grasped, however, is that Kerry will not release all of his war records. That issue, and the fact that Kerry accused his "band of brothers" of all being war criminals, he finds very disturbing. So, I'd have an ad with pictures and text of Kerry's '71 statements, maybe a foto of him tossing his medals, and I'd end with the withheld records.

Is it a gamble that he then releases them? Yes, but it is, in my view, a bigger one not to make this an issue. There has got to be stuff therein he does not want known. Or he would have released them by now.
integritycounts
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is my strong view that anything that the Swift Vets need to do should be done with VETERANS, saying what they think or saw.

The first ad has done so very well because of that, and without it, the media would have torn it up.

If you have a Veteran say, "I was John Kerry's commander, and he was never ordered to Cambodia for any reason" That would be good.

Vets that did not see hostile gun fire would be very good.

The Veteran who declined his purple heart describing that, would be good.

The Swift-Vets need to continue to say what they saw, with their eyes. That is the key to the first ad, and any others
raincross
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I posted this in another topic before I saw this one, but here it is:

I read that the Swift Vets are producing a new ad. I want to give them a little advice. Given the press coverage that the first Swift Ad has gotten, any new ad that talks about his medals isn't going to lead to any conclusive proof that Kerry is lying. It will just be people shouting back and forth at each other with one side saying the people on Kerry's boat support him and another side saying most of his chain of command is against him.
So, as they say in public relations and marketing, the Swifties need to focus their message. They need to simplfy it and play to their strongest point.
Of all the allegations brought forth by the swift vets, the only one that can be proven completely true is the "Christmas in Cambodia" story.
Why? Because the story doesn't even need any backing up from the Swift Vets themselves. They can just use Kerry's own words and compare it to what Douglas Brinkley has said "he was 50 miles away" and what his campaign has now said "he was near Cambodia."
Because of the way the media and Democratic Party attack machine has handled this the Swift Vets themselves don't have a ton of credibility. To many they are seen as a shadowy, right-wing funded group of people who never served on Kerry's boat. We know this isn't true, but that is the message the DNC has been effective at getting out.
But the Swift Vets can give themselves a HUGE boost of credibility if they play their cards right.
The Kerry campaign and Brinkley has said that Kerry was in Cambodia it just wasn't on Christmas. Let's leave the part about him possibly (very unlikey) being in Cambodia in Jan. or Feb. out for right now. Remember: focus the message, keep it simple.

Now image this ad.
It opens with two quotes from John Kerry:
"Mr. President, I remember Christmas of 1968 sitting on a gunboat in
Cambodia. I remember what it was like to be shot at by the Vietnamese and Khmer Rouge and Cambodians, and have the president of the United States telling the American people that I was not there; the troops were not in Cambodia. I have that memory which is seared -— seared -— in me, that says to me, before we send another generation into harm's way we have a responsibility in the U.S. Senate to go the last step, to make the best effort possible in order to avoid that kind of conflict." [see Congressional Record - Senate of March 27, 1986, page 3594]

And then this one:
"I remember spending Christmas Eve of 1968 five miles across the Cambodian border being shot at by our South Vietnamese allies who were drunk and celebrating Christmas. The absurdity of almost being killed by our own allies in a country in which President Nixon [sic] claimed there were no American troops was very real." -- interview with the Boston Herald, 1979.

Then cut to the quote from Kerry biographer Douglas Brinkley:
"On Christmas Eve he was near Cambodia; he was around 50 miles from the Cambodian border."

The public will recognize the absurdity of saying you are five miles inside Cambodia when you were actually 50 miles away.

Follow with the quote from the Kerry campaign saying that Kerry was near Cambodia, but not in it.

Then end the ad with a line about how John Kerry can't be trusted.
Also, "swiftvets.com" should run along on the bottom of the ad to get people to come here for more info and to buy the book.

So this ad will do 4 things:
1) Show to a wide audience that Kerry has been less than truthful about his Vietnam record over a span of manys years.
2) It will bring a hint of credibility to the Swift Vets other claims about John Kerry's service. It is much easier for someone to believe your version of the story if you have already been proven right once before.
3) Since this ad is using Kerry's own words and the words of his biographer and campaign spokespeople against him, the focus will be less on the individual credibility of the people making the charges (which is what happened with the first ad) and more on if the actually facts of the ad are true.
4) After the ad is released, Kerry's people will fan out and say that Kerry was just mixed up about the dates and was "near Cambodia" on Christmas Eve, but actually was in the country later in Jan. and Feb. dropping off CIA agents like he has claimed. This puts the ball in Kerry's court. To have any credibility left, Kerry must show that he actually did go to Cambodia at some point. He needs to find someone to back up his story either from his boat or from military records or one of these CIA agents needs to step up and say it was me who gave him the hat. All of this puts the Kerry campaign on the defensive and takes the burden of proof off of the swift vets. If he can't show that he was in Cambodia at some point he's screwed and his credibiliy as a candidate will be damaged beyond repair. If (by some miracle) he actually did go to Cambodia and can prove it, at the minimum, he will look like a fool for telling an obviously false story for so many years and saying it with so much conviction. Everyone knows the guy who always lies to makes himself look better even when he doesn't need to lie. NOBODY wants that guy as President.
geftink
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a new ad, it would be good to have the men who actually were on the very same boat with Kerry who say he is lying. To the viewing public, this would be a logical response to the lie that the Kerry campaign has been spouting, that "none of the men were on Kerry's boat. " I understand from reading on the internet that Steve Gardner who was on Kerry's swift boat longer than anyone, some guy whose name I can't remember on the whaler, and another guy named Bollodeau or something like that was on Kerry's boat , have all indicated Kerry is lying. Gardner has spoken out, and he makes a great appearance. The liberals may still say that these guys were not on the boat with Kerry, but the public of course will believe these men (Gardner, etc.) and it will look bad for the Kerry campaign if they still spout lies.

Kansas City
Mona
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

integritycounts wrote:
It is my strong view that anything that the Swift Vets need to do should be done with VETERANS, saying what they think or saw.

The first ad has done so very well because of that, and without it, the media would have torn it up.

If you have a Veteran say, "I was John Kerry's commander, and he was never ordered to Cambodia for any reason" That would be good.

Vets that did not see hostile gun fire would be very good.

The Veteran who declined his purple heart describing that, would be good.

The Swift-Vets need to continue to say what they saw, with their eyes. That is the key to the first ad, and any others

The first ad is good, and it got the ball rolling. However, it certainly did not convince me of the group's bona fides. That it existed, however, got me researching and I ran into the Xmas in Cambodia issue and realized the SBVTs really did have a story to tell, and a reason other than partisanship behind their ad.

But I spent some 5-6 days doing nothing in my spare time but researching online. I had forgotten just how rancid Kerry's "war crimes" schtick had been, and soon realized this is the motivation behind the ads. (I had been afraid they were a bunch of GOP partisans who would cause a bad backlash for Bush.)

SBVTs are being attacked for their funding. An ad focusing on the war crimes issue both communicates a very important matter about Kerry, and also makes the SBVTs motives clear.

Who was that soldier at the May press conference -- he is disabled -- who says thanks to Kerry he came back to family asking if he was a war criminal? He was choking up. If he is willing, I'd use that.

It is only a 60 second ad, but I'd like to see it conclude with a demand to fill out a form 180.

The first ad is good, and should still be used. But it my view it is time to go for one or two points that will push the swing voter who may not know a thing (or care) about Viet Nam. Calling all one's comrades war criminals, and refusing to release records, that sort of issue is easy for busy, undecided folks to grasp.
integritycounts
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mona, I do not disagree with you at all.
My point is only that the nature of the first ad, is first hand accounts, of veterans that were there. That is the power of the ad. That is why the ad can not be taken appart.

If you were working for a political campaign you could not create an ad like what the Swift Vets have.

My vote remains, any ads should be first hand accounts of Veterans. You can only do so much in an ad, getting people to want to find out more is the ultimate as far as effectiveness.

The power of the first ad is the crediblity of the Veterans, they try to attack the add on on the normal levels...the funding...the whatever....but in the end....the power of Veterans speaking in the ad, trumps all the Media critics.

It's the Vets.
Scott
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with integritycounts. Furthermore, I believe that there's one vet who can be included in the ad that would be absolutely devastating: John Kerry.

Include some of his statements to Congress during Winter Soldier. Let voters too young to remember that time and those issues actually hear the way John Kerry slandered his fellow Vietnam veterans.

Then let the Swiftvets counter the claims.
Mona
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raincross wrote:
Sorry I posted this in another topic before I saw this one, but here it is:

I read that the Swift Vets are producing a new ad. I want to give them a little advice. Given the press coverage that the first Swift Ad has gotten, any new ad that talks about his medals isn't going to lead to any conclusive proof that Kerry is lying. It will just be people shouting back and forth at each other with one side saying the people on Kerry's boat support him and another side saying most of his chain of command is against him.
So, as they say in public relations and marketing, the Swifties need to focus their message. They need to simplfy it and play to their strongest point.
Of all the allegations brought forth by the swift vets, the only one that can be proven completely true is the "Christmas in Cambodia" story.
Why? Because the story doesn't even need any backing up from the Swift Vets themselves. They can just use Kerry's own words and compare it to what Douglas Brinkley has said "he was 50 miles away" and what his campaign has now said "he was near Cambodia."
Because of the way the media and Democratic Party attack machine has handled this the Swift Vets themselves don't have a ton of credibility. To many they are seen as a shadowy, right-wing funded group of people who never served on Kerry's boat. We know this isn't true, but that is the message the DNC has been effective at getting out.
But the Swift Vets can give themselves a HUGE boost of credibility if they play their cards right.
The Kerry campaign and Brinkley has said that Kerry was in Cambodia it just wasn't on Christmas. Let's leave the part about him possibly (very unlikey) being in Cambodia in Jan. or Feb. out for right now. Remember: focus the message, keep it simple.

Now image this ad.
It opens with two quotes from John Kerry:
"Mr. President, I remember Christmas of 1968 sitting on a gunboat in
Cambodia. I remember what it was like to be shot at by the Vietnamese and Khmer Rouge and Cambodians, and have the president of the United States telling the American people that I was not there; the troops were not in Cambodia. I have that memory which is seared -— seared -— in me, that says to me, before we send another generation into harm's way we have a responsibility in the U.S. Senate to go the last step, to make the best effort possible in order to avoid that kind of conflict." [see Congressional Record - Senate of March 27, 1986, page 3594]

And then this one:
"I remember spending Christmas Eve of 1968 five miles across the Cambodian border being shot at by our South Vietnamese allies who were drunk and celebrating Christmas. The absurdity of almost being killed by our own allies in a country in which President Nixon [sic] claimed there were no American troops was very real." -- interview with the Boston Herald, 1979.

Then cut to the quote from Kerry biographer Douglas Brinkley:
"On Christmas Eve he was near Cambodia; he was around 50 miles from the Cambodian border."

The public will recognize the absurdity of saying you are five miles inside Cambodia when you were actually 50 miles away.

Follow with the quote from the Kerry campaign saying that Kerry was near Cambodia, but not in it.

Then end the ad with a line about how John Kerry can't be trusted.
Also, "swiftvets.com" should run along on the bottom of the ad to get people to come here for more info and to buy the book.

So this ad will do 4 things:
1) Show to a wide audience that Kerry has been less than truthful about his Vietnam record over a span of manys years.
2) It will bring a hint of credibility to the Swift Vets other claims about John Kerry's service. It is much easier for someone to believe your version of the story if you have already been proven right once before.
3) Since this ad is using Kerry's own words and the words of his biographer and campaign spokespeople against him, the focus will be less on the individual credibility of the people making the charges (which is what happened with the first ad) and more on if the actually facts of the ad are true.
4) After the ad is released, Kerry's people will fan out and say that Kerry was just mixed up about the dates and was "near Cambodia" on Christmas Eve, but actually was in the country later in Jan. and Feb. dropping off CIA agents like he has claimed. This puts the ball in Kerry's court. To have any credibility left, Kerry must show that he actually did go to Cambodia at some point. He needs to find someone to back up his story either from his boat or from military records or one of these CIA agents needs to step up and say it was me who gave him the hat. All of this puts the Kerry campaign on the defensive and takes the burden of proof off of the swift vets. If he can't show that he was in Cambodia at some point he's screwed and his credibiliy as a candidate will be damaged beyond repair. If (by some miracle) he actually did go to Cambodia and can prove it, at the minimum, he will look like a fool for telling an obviously false story for so many years and saying it with so much conviction. Everyone knows the guy who always lies to makes himself look better even when he doesn't need to lie. NOBODY wants that guy as President.

Here's why I disagree. In the past ten days or so, I have spent copious amts of time setting Kerry supporters straight about Xmas in Cambodia at two political debate forums. But it took many rounds of posts to answer every conceivable "explanation" they came up with and backing them into a corner. It is a strong issue, but for partisans as well as for the ignorant, it can be managed w/ spin, as it is being.

War time, confusion, getting lost, blah blah blah. Of course that is B.S. but it is B.S. that can be successfully peddled in a situation in which people have been hauling out maps -- how many people could even find Viet Nam and Cambodia? -- for goodness sake, to demonstrate how untenable the spin is.

Xmas in Cambodia is better handled in books like O'Neill's, and online. The issue is being discussed, and the first ad and the book have caused that. But the war crimes issue hasn't gotten enough attention.

Every sentient being can grasp how sick it is to accuse all of our GIs of being war criminals, and you don't need to read a map of Asia to decide whether he might have been "mistaken." Not a whole lot of confusion there.
igor
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imo...

Don't leak out the contents of the ad early. It only gives Kerry extra time to counter or even counter as soon as the ad is released. The longer they are in a state of shock, like with the Christmas in Cambodia lie, the longer they will take to effectively respond, and the more credibility they will lose.

Release the ad on Monday for greater effect, so that it remains in the news the whole week, as Saturday's and Sunday's seem to be quieter.
Tony
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Florida - they have been playing an ad a great deal which starts with Kerry saying something to the effect of "I defended this country as a young man in Viet Nam and I will do the same as President".....

I would like to see an ad that starts with the same quote from Kerry and then moves into shots of Kerry meeting with the communists, his picture in the Hanoi museum, speaking at war protests, throwing his medals, testifying before congress all the while the voice over lists his record on defense, the fact that his fellow sailors don't support him, some quotes from a POW who was forced to listen to John Kerry in prison and all the good stuff we know could be listed including some stats about his anti-military votes and dismal support of defense and military issues later in life. Tag line at the end would be something to the effect of "When you move beyond the sound bite, Mr Kerry's record on defense speaks for iteself...."

http://tonyk.smugmug.com/photos/1822816-L-1.jpg
USN 1983-1992
silenthunter
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest looking at the Constitution, perhaps as a highlighted background. Target Article III, Section 3, on the definition of treason.
Include comments by General Giap. Include photos of his award in Ho Chi Minh City at the Museum. Include his trip to France to conspire with the enemy while he was still on active duty.

Include also the 14th Amendment, Section 3 of which states:

"No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States...to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof."

Based on this, demand forfeiture of all public pay and benefits, and full restitution for same, since Kerry's departure from Vietnam.

I'm just a little angry at the moment, so please bear with me.

Liars, cowards, and traitors are real high on my personal "To Do" list. Especially when I'm the SOB who's paying them!
COMCARDIV7, '70-'71
USS Oriskany, CVA34, '69-'71

"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it won't be needed until someone tries to take it away." -- Thomas Jefferson
republicanveteran
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the last post. Read the consorting with the enemy law, then fade to his testamony to congress, expose that lie, then go to the cambodia lie. A lot can be said in one minute....
iggit
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about what he really is????

Moderator -- now really, iggit; that's way over the top.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: