SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where are the books?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> "Unfit For Command"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sevry
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarJon wrote:
Amazon just shipped mine. YES.

The free market wins over left wing hatred every time!

Maybe the publisher is to blame. And I've not had a problem with amazon so far - except for one outfit that didn't ship a CD. But it's only been one.

But this book I ordered with their 'special deal', along with Patterson's book. Maybe I didn't save much. And it still shows that it hasn't shipped.

Plus, their removing customer's remarks is very strange. It's the first I've seen of it. I thought maybe it was because they hadn't shipped the book themselves. But apparently in some cases they have. And I looked at The Passion DVD, which obviously hasn't shipped, and they have over 1000 comments for that.
JonMoseley
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: Here's WHY the Publisher is rushing to meet demand Reply with quote

EVERYONE: You should understand that John O'Neill and Jerry Corsi pulled off a MIRACLE with this book, together with all the Swift Boat Vets for Truth. Normally a book like this would require ONE ADDITIONAL YEAR to plan, research, write, rewrite, edit, publish, distribute, and market. Don't forget that no one knew John Kerry was going to emerge from the back room of the Presidential race until about 9 months ago. It was very unexpected, and only a short time ago, that anyone actually took John Kerry seriously. Most people assumed that the country was going to treat John Kerry as irrelevant as he seemed to most of us.

So, while simultaneously doing everything else involved in the Swift Boat Vets for Truth effort, John O'Neill and Jerry Corsi and all the Vets who contributed their stories pulled together a bestselling book in about one year LESS time than would normally be required.

Furthermore, in the eyes of the book world, this is a very unusual book because it will have no shelf-life after November 3 if Kerry loses. That's not how the Vets feel about it, because they want history to be set straight, but the book world looks at it that way. Therefore, the publisher had to print and the distributers distribute and the bookstores order copies on a conservative basis. Most books don't sell that many copies. So the entire book world has been caught flat-footed on this one.

Regnery Publishing is now ALREADY in its THIRD PRINTING of the book! I am sure the distributors are scrambling to ship books out the door and get them into the bookstores. An initial run of 30,000 books might mean maybe 3 copies for every bookstore in America. So spreding it all over the country might mean that each bookstore will run out very quickly and easily. And I have no doubt Regnery is already planning its FOURTH print run of UNFIT FOR COMMAND

What can you do? Keep asking your bookstore! Go into every local bookstore near you and ask them for the book. Again, since in their view the book may be worthless on November 3, go ahead and place a firm order with the bookstore. Yes, you can get a copy right away on Amazon. But if you want to help get the book out there, do it the "hard way" through placing a firm order with your local bookstore. This will help make sure the book is on the shelves for others to buy as well. Maybe order extra copies for friends and family or even for a library or community/political group. Consider giving a copy as an auction item or door prize at a community or political function.

Did you know that "bestseller" status does not consider Amazon.com? It is based on mainstream, big-name bookstores only. So if this book sells a record on Amazon.com but does not sell much in the bookstores, it will never be rated as a bestseller by the New York Times or others.
Billman
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: Powell's Books in Portland says September 4 Reply with quote

I saw it on the guy's monitor, yesterday. It's a very liberal town, but I got a perfectly polite reception from the knit-capped information dude, who promptly looked up "Unfit for Command" and said "Looks like it doesn't release till early September, but we've got a whole bunch ordered, so stop by them and we should have 'em".
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's WHY the Publisher is rushing to meet demand Reply with quote

JonMoseley wrote:
Furthermore, in the eyes of the book world, this is a very unusual book because it will have no shelf-life after November 3 if Kerry loses.

Excellent post Jon, but I believe the above observation should state if Kerry "Wins". If Kerry loses, you can bet it will have no shelf-life...I'll buy 'em out BEFORE they even HIT the shelf! Smile
Zoomie
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:19 am    Post subject: Got my copy from B&N today! Reply with quote

After a week of waiting, I finally got my copy from Barnes & Noble today. What was interesting is that instead of placing them on the "New Arrivals" table, the books were placed on the information desk. Shocked I don't know if this is some lefty manager's way of preventing the sale of the book, but it does seem fishy.
305th Maintenance Squadron, McGuire AFB
1998-1999
303rd Intelligence Squadron, Osan AB, Korea
Skivvy Nine
Keeping the Morning Calm
1999-2000
JonMoseley
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:55 am    Post subject: News Update -- FIFTH Printing already! 350,000 copies !!! Reply with quote

According to Paul Schiffer of the radio show THE SCHIFFER REPORT, Regnery is now into its FIFTH (5th) PRINTING of Unfit for Command. There have been a total of 350,000 copies printed, and these copies are on there way to you! However, nearly all of these are just printed. (The first three print runs were only for 90,000 total).

So go out there and bug your local bookstore! Regnery has printed these books to set the record on Vietnam straight. What we DON'T want is to have these books mildewing in a warehouse somewhere in November and December. We want people READING THEM! Regnery has made 350,000 copies available to be placed in front of eyes. But what we don't know yet is how many people we can get to actually READ all these copies.

Last edited by JonMoseley on Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:00 am; edited 1 time in total
You GottaBeKidding
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon,

I hope the publisher makes a small fortune off this book. They took a big gamble on this project.

Everyone who worked on this and put it all together so quickly deserves a big "atta boy" (or girl). Great work.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I stumbled across a copy of the book on Sat. at Borders in Vancouver, WA. There was only one at the time. When I had called in the middle of last week they weren't expecting any copies until Sept.

I bought my copy at the same store Sunday. They had one on the counter and one behind the counter on hold they said. Regardless, I got one and have finished it already.

They told me they only got 5 to begin with. Bet they wished they'd ordered more now Laughing
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: News Update -- FIFTH Printing already! 350,000 copies Reply with quote

JonMoseley wrote:
Regnery is now into its FIFTH (5th) PRINTING of Unfit for Command. There have been a total of 350,000 copies printed, and these copies are on there way to you!

WOWSERS!!!

Thanks for updating us! This is fabulous news!
tngator
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Here's WHY the Publisher is rushing to meet demand Reply with quote

JonMoseley wrote:

Did you know that "bestseller" status does not consider Amazon.com? It is based on mainstream, big-name bookstores only. So if this book sells a record on Amazon.com but does not sell much in the bookstores, it will never be rated as a bestseller by the New York Times or others.

Well, now that I know that, I will be buying at least 2-3 more copies from a standard book store Laughing
tngator
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a very fast online search:

http://www.booksamillion.com/ncom/books?id=2928911722294&type=keyword&find=unfit+for+command
$19.56 ($17.61 club price) ships 2-3 days in stock

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?WRD=unfit+for+command&userid=ye7eySt9QZ&cds2Pid=946.
$19.56 1-2 weeks

http://s1.amazon.com/exec/varzea/ts/exchange-glance/Y01Y1649024Y6322480/qid=1092891330/sr=1-1/102-6496159-3180111
$23.96 (24 copies listed as being on hand) ships within 24 hours
tngator
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found another sourse -----> ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=378&item=6919772697&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
$19..9 + 6.99 shipping and comes with a $10 Regenery rebate. They have 9 left.
hiyall
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw "Unfit for Command" displayed in the streetside display window at Barnes and Nobles, located between 46th and 47th on 3rd Avenue - Manhattan.
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my copy Sunday. (Read it! It was great!)
As I bought mine someone else bought the balance of the stock (15 or 16 copies); apparently to get them off the shelves.
It looks like if Kerry can't stop them from being published, his fallback plan is to buy them before someone can read them.
Navyfam
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Purchased mine from Hastings first time I looked. I agree with poster who recommended ordering it from a store. I asked Hastings what they do if an ordered copy is not picked up and they say they just put it out for sale. So go ahead and order, even if you find a copy later.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> "Unfit For Command" All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: