SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PBS interview with John O'niell
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Herb
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one more captins mast wrote:
So what I got capitans mast,
Sorry to say due to &&55$$#22 , I ended up in the
Qua Viet "creek" river? and with the stuff I had on which should have been on Rass/ing/us , there is NO SWIMMING YOU SINK, how deep was the water.

Jim Rassmann is correct.

I have done both (not under fire): sank and even floated/paddled depening on how I was loaded but I am betting that Rassmann was just aboard with most of his gear on the boat not on himself. He probably had one maybe two weapons which I guess he lost and that is pretty traumatic when NOT in combat -- how's that when you think they are shooting at you and you are drowning too?

He said that he was both afraid of the "fire" and afraid he would be run over by the other boat(s) so that he STAYED on the bottom except to come up for quick breaths.
growler
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who missed the NewsHour can read the transcript and/or watch the segment here: http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/politics/july-dec04/vietnam_8-19.html
teach-u
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:59 pm    Post subject: Tom Oliphant's daughter is on Kerry's Staff Reply with quote

I Watched John Kerry Throw His War Decorations

Sorry for the long link, but it should be noted here that Oliphant's daughter works for kerry's campaign, as specified by Oliphant himself in this article he wrote at the Boston Globe.

Also an e-mail we sent to Jim Lehrer

Former Capt. Jim Lehrer USMC is a great American but the interview with John O'Neill and Tom Oliphant was embarrassing for PBS! Oliphant hammered at O'Neill that he is a high quality Journalist and not a Political Participant. Well, John O’Neill is neither, he is a Courageous Sailor who is delivering eyewitness accounts of over 60 brave men who suffered Kerry's lies. Oliphant protests that the Swift Vets statements and thus journalistic credibility have changed over time yet they have only become clearer and more credible to combat vets like myself and rational people everywhere. What has contradicted and lost credibility is Christmas in Cambodia, Silver Star for a wounded VC or a numerically superior force?, Kerry committed atrocities or no atrocities, voting for Iraq or Not, and strangely, throwing medals or ribbons or not, of which Oliphant wrote in the Boston Globe "In ’71 I was 5 feet away from Kerry". Well Jim, now that Oliphant’s daughter is on Kerry's staff he is a lot closer and you let him appear beyond reproach. There is a real story here of a once brave Officer who lied and betrayed and of courageous men risking everything to make it right for their unit, their generation and our future. Please try again.
The Ghost
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did Jim Rassmann get a medal for that day ?? i wonder if john kerry put one in for him ,,that might be why Jim Rassmann put in one for kerry ??

i think the only thing that Jim Rassmann was his chocolate chip cookie
Herb
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ghost wrote:
did Jim Rassmann get a medal for that day ?? i wonder if john kerry put one in for him ,,that might be why Jim Rassmann put in one for kerry ??

i think the only thing that Jim Rassmann was his chocolate chip cookie

I am pretty sure that Rassmann is honestly greatful.

Boat blows up, his boat throws him into the river, shooting (from the Swifts starts), he thinks he is a) going to be run over by the following boat b) going to drown and c) going to be left alone or shot by the Vietcong.

Kerry comes back after leaving and hands Rassman out of the water;
he (Rassman is greatful) and it never occurs to him the shooting is all outgoing or that Kerry's wound is from EARLIER in the day -- or he forgets and fogs these things out due to the excitement, fear, and exhaustion.
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:53 pm    Post subject: PBS... Reply with quote

And Rassman was especially grateful for the one and one-half hours after he was fished out when no enemy fire was experienced.
Herb
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: PBS... Reply with quote

Tom Poole wrote:
And Rassman was especially grateful for the one and one-half hours after he was fished out when no enemy fire was experienced.

And it sure seemed obvious that when faced with O'Dell's clear memories last week, Rassmann suddenly caught on, and started that "35 years old memory fades" crap and trying to declare some sort of fictionally statute of limitations.

When the latter didn't play, he has been answering with merely personal attacks on the vets.

But you notice that Rassmann is NO LONGER appearing in unscripted events -- and they are using the TAPE of him saying "enemy fire."
SJorgensen
Former Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question about the wound in Kerry's thigh that left some shrapnell in there is that it happened on Feb 20, 1969 and only a few days (8 days) later he is supposedly beaching his craft "jumping" off and chasing down a fleeing enemy to give him the old "coup de gras".

Wouldn't this be difficult to do with a recently wounded thigh?
Herb
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SJorgensen wrote:
My question about the wound in Kerry's thigh that left some shrapnell in there is that it happened on Feb 20, 1969 and only a few days (8 days) later he is supposedly beaching his craft "jumping" off and chasing down a fleeing enemy to give him the old "coup de gras".

Wouldn't this be difficult to do with a recently wounded thigh?

No, not if it was a sliver and depending on depth and location.

Beside Army Airborne (no war experience) I was a commercial diver when younger. and once put a piece of reinforcement wire (from a damaged concrete piling) into my thigh -- right in the big muscle.

About 3/32" wide and an inch deep -- I really stuck it. (The piece however did not remain in there.)

I really didn't even limp all that much and the real concern was infection.

A week later it wasn't much at all.

BTW, this schematic seems to admit that Kerry was NOT wound at the fishing weir:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/graphics/swiftboat_082104.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: