SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mr. Vietnam Veteran,
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael B. Smith
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Talked and saw. Reply with quote

We had NOBODY to talk to - the VVAW and others in the "anti-war" movement had poisoned American minds for years - with the willing support of the MSM.

I certainly believe you (I have no reason to not) but it seems so strange that America could have gotten like that. But - I guess concerning this issue - much hasn't changed.
air_vet
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Talked and saw. Reply with quote

Michael B. Smith wrote:
it seems so strange that America could have gotten like that. But - I guess concerning this issue - much hasn't changed.

BECAUSE the same people have been telling us stories and twisting the news since the '60 - look at candidate Kerry for example.

Talk radio and the Internet are changing that control forever!
rb325th
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael, just asking about the MOS because it sounded funny to me. O5B sounded more like an Officer Designation for an MOS not anything related to Commo.That and I spent a couple years working in a Recruting Company and had a pretty good graps on MOS Designations, must have changed before I enlisted. No big deal, you learn something new everyday.
As to the subject you have posted here, listen to the Vietnam Vets here, they are not lying to you. They are not running for office and have no need to impress you or lie to you.
Michael B. Smith
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Talked and saw. Reply with quote

air_vet wrote:
Michael B. Smith wrote:
it seems so strange that America could have gotten like that. But - I guess concerning this issue - much hasn't changed.

BECAUSE the same people have been telling us stories and twisting the news since the '60 - look at candidate Kerry for example.

Talk radio and the Internet are changing that control forever!

Ain't that the truth!

Well - I thank you all for the words of wisdom - and I equally thank you for your service in Vietnam.

I do not have a computer at home (my wife took it away - LOL), so I will check back on Monday, unless I should stop by my mom's house.

Yall have a nice weekend.
Michael B. Smith
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rb325th wrote:
Michael, just asking about the MOS because it sounded funny to me. O5B sounded more like an Officer Designation for an MOS not anything related to Commo.That and I spent a couple years working in a Recruting Company and had a pretty good graps on MOS Designations, must have changed before I enlisted. No big deal, you learn something new everyday.
As to the subject you have posted here, listen to the Vietnam Vets here, they are not lying to you. They are not running for office and have no need to impress you or lie to you.

No problem - If'n I was offensive in my response - I apologize. I reckon in this day of instant messages, message boards etc... I have gotten jaded as most people seem to call each other liars and suggest the other is something they are not! I also guess that is why I feel like America (our beloved country) is becoming so hateful towards each other!

Anyway - thanks for your service as well!

Michael

PS - I have given each message serious thought and consideration. These vets deserve at least that much, but really a whole lot more.
And - I have learned quite a bit in 30 something messages.
DADESID
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>>MCCLOSKEY: Well, I‘ll tell you, we ran across General Patton‘s son, a colonel, who was flying around in a helicopter man collecting ears of Viet Cong, cutting off ears, shooting at them with his pistol out of a helicopter. But that was the exception.
Most of the men served honorably.<<<

Major General G. S. Patton III passed away just a few weeks ago. He held the Distinguished Service Cross with an Oak Leaf Cluster.

Why is McCloskey making these charges now, after General Patton can't respond in his own defense?

Go figure.....

Last edited by DADESID on Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
sixdogteam
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, atrocities occured, they occur in all wars, on all sides. But they are rare, and when they do occur, in many cases they are reported. I know. And if some Viet Nam vets got drunk and told you some war stories, what of it? Did you expect them to tell you about boring days when nothing happened but rain and 150% humidity, and they were constipated? Or maybe they were just trying to give you the benefit of their experiences. Odds are the majority of them didn't tell you anything at all about what happened to them...
four-niner delta
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember the old saying- "Combat in Vietnam was usually days of extreme boredom and seconds of the most horrendous terror and confusion." That is what combat truly is-why do you think they call it the Fog of War. I know it was for me!
Mobile Riverine Force
A Co. 3/60 9th INF DIV
PO2
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Mr. Vietnam Veteran, Reply with quote

Michael B. Smith wrote:
"Well, Mr. Smith, ... Therefor, I sincerely doubt that such things were said to you by the people you indicate."

So now I am a liar as well????

well - thank you very much Sir.

I have not called you a liar, Sir. I stated that those who said such things should be reported to the proper authorities. Did you do so as required by regulations and report them. If not you could be considered aiding and abeting their crimes.
bagpiper
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:43 pm    Post subject: war is hell Reply with quote

Michael,
How many people go around bragging and talking about Hellish stuff?
They are the ones I term The UnVets. There are also the sickos. Michael, haven't you seen, people, who love the violence?, thrive on it?, escpecially if you're winning the battle? There were some of those, who loved the killing. I'm afraid, as with any war, the first casualty is TRUTH. That applies when you come home too. The 'stories' just get better in 'The Tellin'...kinda like fishin.... Smile
I agree with a previous poster, anytime you hear this stuff, think, what did your mama tell you?
Mine told me: "Don't beleive anything you hear, and half of what you see."

A lesson I have taken to heart.

I was in Vietnam, but not a grunt, thank GOD! But, I took the same abuse as them when I got home, I got spit on in San Fransisco Airport by a bunch of dirty hippies. I decked the SOB. HE got arrested, the cops saw everything. They just told me to 'catch my plane'. They enjoyed arresting his a**.
Now, there's a WAR STORY for ya!

DM Lambert
ex-SP4 '72-'75
PO2
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Who is lying Reply with quote

[quote="Michael B. Smith"]
Sgt-Keeper wrote:

Now - let me ask - seriously - are you not concerned that in a climate that seems to me to be very devisive and hateful in our divided country that this debate in society at large could rip us apart? didn't it rip us apart in the late 60's and early 70's? I can't remember as I was to busy playing with my GI Joes and being a kid. Afterwards - I suppose the history books I remember already had a slanted view that frankly supports what Kerry said to some degree. after that - I never had much desire to study the issue - that is until now.
again - thank you.

Mr. Smith: you have asked some serious questions which bring up a lot of anamosity in the Vietnam veteran community. I can understand your desire to find out "from the horse's mouth" so to speak. Let me repeat that we know atrocities were committed in Vietnam. Every war has the same situation. Emotions run high along with adrenalin. We birng up this subject because it was first broached by the one person besides Hanoi Jane Fonda who should avoid any mention of the subject. It was the fake veterans of the Winter Soldier Investigation (BTW, not conjecture, but proven fact) who told these tales, and Kerry lent the weight and authority of his awards and decorations to the allegations. That was the observed beginning of the popular mis-conception and hateful and hurting words thrown at all of us upon our return to civilization. Kerry's words cut deeply into every one of us because we knew that what he said was the exception and not the rule as he indicated. I won't go any further into this subject. If you are truly interested in learning what you don't know from your own experience, you may wish to follow NAVY X 3 and do some reading. Somewhere on this board or elsewhere on the internet you will find the answeres to your questions. A recommendation, is that you read each with an open mind and without pre-conceived ideas. You will find that the preponderance of Vietnam veterans will say basically the same thing.
PO2
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Talked and saw. Reply with quote

Michael B. Smith wrote:

Do you think that perhaps the problem today is that none of you Vietnam vets wanted to talk about it then? [That was not intended to be a smart ass response but rather a serious question.]

Astute observation. The primary reason we did not talk about it then (and didn't even admit we were Nam vets was the propoganda put out by the likes of Kerry. To discuss the matter meant to be innundated with verbal abuse with the words of Kerry being hurled at us. Even as little as 10 years ago I heard the same thing from one of my professors. In addition, by keeping silent, many of us developed Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. It is recognized now that discussing the stressor at the time helps reduce or eliminate the symptoms. We did not have that opportunity at the time, it was denied to us so we carried the memories within us, growing and getting worse each night.
Colorado Coasty
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:53 am    Post subject: Were they all lying? Reply with quote

I am a Viet Nam era veteran who served in the Coast Guard stateside. I have known men from every branch of the service. I have served under Coasties who served in Nam. Not one atrocity story ... ever! We know bad things happen in war. The press is all over the prison situation in Iraq, but never talks about the extraordinary lengths our military goes to prevent these types of things. John Kerry lied, and in doing so he slandered every Viet Nam veteran.
dmroyer
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Viet Nam soldiers we were the first to return home and have to defend ourselves from the very people, we were fighting for. No time in our history has the American soldier been spit on and generally degraded for doing their duty, by the American people. No we weren’t willing or wanting to talk about what we had seen or what had happened in Viet Nam. To many people had already made up their minds as to what the true story was, (1) it was the first war to be experienced on the TV every night in everyone’s living room, (and we know the news media always shows the true story, right), (2) Hanoi John and Jane for sure had the true story and they told everyone just what is was, (3) the politicians had received a lot of grief about the war and so they knew the true story of being reelected, take it out on the military, (4) many of us didn’t want to talk about what we saw, I was in a medical unit and believe me I don’t want to talk about what I saw, war is gruesome, bloody, full of fear and fright so why would we want to talk about it and many wouldn’t understand if you tried to explain, for they already knew the truth. War is an atrocity unto itself filled with unspeakable acts of terror and heroism all at the same time.

It wasn’t the war that the media, Hanoi John & Jane and the politicians put down and tried to destroy it was the American service men and woman who were there doing their duty and that is one of the reasons there is so much resentment by the Viet Nam veterans. We have been discriminated against for over 35 years so yes we may be a little touchy when once again our honor and integrity is again brought in to question, one more time.

John Kerry has made Viet Nam an issue and as was stated earlier the Viet Nam veterans will not back away again, he cannot have it both ways, in or out Mr. Kerry and I vote out.
FireDog53
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micheal,

What you must realize is that atrocities happen in every war. If there were a percentage assigned to it, it would be in the area of .5% to 1% probably committed atrocities. I personally didn't see any and the commanders I had would have had someone in the stockade quicker than crap goes through a goose. As other's have stated, there are many people that have exaggerated their experiences in Viet Nam. As one individual mentioned earlier that this was kind of common with what we reffered to as REMF's. Almost every combat vet I've met rarely if ever talked much about the war. It tends to be something that stays beneath the surface. When we did talk with each other about our experiences, you could tell while talking if an individual had been in combat.

Kerry chose to come home and turn his back on the veterans and active personnel at the time of his involvement with the VVAW. Most that testified in The Winter Soldier Investigation were proven later to be non-veterans and non-combat veterans. Kerry chose to be a leader in an organiztion that made blanket statements in relation to combat personnel committing war crimes. He was out of line and telling many fabrications at that time, just as he is doing now.

As for the 05B, it was an Army MOS. I was an RTO( Radio Operator-05B) during my tour with the 25th Infantry (5 months) and with MACV Advisory Team 64 in Chou Doc Province. When I served with MACV, I was assigned to an ARVN infantry Batt. and also worked with Regional Forces and Provincal Forces. We almost soley did night ambushes. I spent 11 months with MACV and never even heard of atrocities committed by U.S. Military personnel from the Vietnamese themselves. Had there been, I have no doubt that the Vietnamese I worked with would have stated it.

Kerry has brought this on himself and after 30+ years we are fighting back this time. We refuse to stay silent anymore on the accusations made by Hanoi John, Hanoi Jane and the rest of the misfits who chose to attack not only our HONOR but our INTEGRITY and BROTHERHOOD. Remember what others here have told you about people who talk a good story but rarely if ever lived the story. This whole thing has brought many of us back to a time I think most of us wish were sometimes forgotten. It won't be forgotten inside ourselves but Kerry has again brought it to the forefront as center piece of his campaign and WE are fighting back, the silence has ended.

Mark Wilson
RVN 10-70 to 2-72
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: