SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Delegate Wears 'Purple Heart' Bandages
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Misty
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait a minute. Do we know what this bandaid looked like? I was of the impression it was a bandaid with a purple colored heart on it. If that is so, I think it is funny and depicts the whinner Kerry very well. It was not meant to denegrate those veterans who earned purple hearts for real war wounds, like my father-in-law. On the other hand, if it depicted the actual purple heart medal, I would be much more reluctant to accept it because that does reflect against the medal itself.

Kerry's acts deserve to be mocked, imo.
Brother was on the USS Regulus - Vietnam
Husband was AirForce 3rd (34th) Tactical Fighter Wing - Security Police Bien Hoa Vietnam
Son Of The Godfather
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: CNN foot-in-mouth disease Reply with quote

Boundless wrote:
There's a report that CNN's Wolf Blitzer has said of
the bandaid gag:

"This kind of thing could backfire if it is viewed as a
slam against veterans who did earn their Purple Hearts."

If true, a major Freudian slip by Wolfie.

THAT'S funnier than the bandage thing!

SOTG
Doc Farmer
LCDR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NortonPete wrote:
Is there any law or regulation against disgracing a medal?

How about throwing them into the dirt in a public display ?

What if that individual was still in the service at the time?

There probably is a law that covers such issues.

But putting a purple heart-shape on a band-aid with marking pen isn't denegrating all US soldiers who earned a Purple Heart medal. Just the one former US soldier who didn't.

Fat, Bald and Ugly - And PROUD Of It!
Cali-HeyGirl
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belisaurius wrote:
Quote:
"It is inexcusable for a delegate to mock anyone who has ever put on a soldier's uniform," said Democratic Chairman Terry McAuliffe. "It is inexcusable to mock service and sacrifice."

Terry mocks G.W. Bush every day.

BTW, Terry never served.

OOH-YAH! Laughing
NortonPete
PO2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't have done it myself.
This picture from CNN's site shows it
to be nothing more than a prank.

No resemblance to a real PH
gee williger
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmmpatriot wrote:
it is coming up now from every Kerry talking head and being spun as the President and his cronies mocking veterans!

Yes, very true. They will use any issue to shift the spotlight from Kerry no matter how irrelevant.
mtpNY
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misty wrote:
Wait a minute. Do we know what this bandaid looked like? I was of the impression it was a bandaid with a purple colored heart on it.

You are correct.
It is in *no* way intended to look like an actual Purple Heart medal (or *any* other kind of medal).
It is just an ordinary, over the counter band-aid with a little purple heart shaped sticker on it.
Some delegates were wearing them stuck right to their faces.
It's a band-aid. Plain and simple. Poking fun of at an injury that would require a band-aid.
There is nothing that indicates it is even military related at all.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: CNN foot-in-mouth disease Reply with quote

Boundless wrote:
There's a report that CNN's Wolf Blitzer has said of
the bandaid gag:

"This kind of thing could backfire if it is viewed as a
slam against veterans who did earn their Purple Hearts."

If true, a major Freudian slip by Wolfie.

Ahahahaha! Ohmigosh! How totally rich! If this is true, all I can say is "Thank you, Wolf Blitzer!!!!"

And I'm glad the bandaids do not mock the actual medal, just the "bandaid warrior."
ohanakat
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I find the most ridiculous about this is that it would have been no issue at all if McCauliff hadn't brought it up! IMO, it's him who is degrading the medal by whining over this rather than letting it go. As for the bandaids themselves, it's funny and probably a bit in poor taste, but 1) it clearly is aimed at the false candidate and no one else, and 2) GOP officials asked that it stop AND IT DID! Once again, the high ground is made to look muddy... yep, wrestling with pigs will do that!

Kat
gia_lin_fo
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McAuliffe has it wrong, as usual, it is Kerry's fraudulent acquisition and self-serving use of the Purple Heart that lessens its value, not the mocking of Kerry for claiming his wounds merit award.
integritycounts
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me doth think they protest too much

Texas delegate Pat Peale wears a bandaid with a purple heart on it on her chin during the first day of the Republican National Convention in New York August 30, 2004. Democrats and Democratic National Committee (news - web sites) Chairman Terry McAulliffe reacted angrily after seeing Peale on national television appearing to mock the Purple Heart ribbons awarded to Democratic presidential nominee Senator John Kerry (news - web sites) in Vietnam. Peale was quoted as saying she had gotten a purple heart earlier in the day 'swimming a river I think it was.' REUTERS/Robert Galbraith

story reported here http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040831/ap_on_el_pr/cvn_purple_heart_bandages
BrianC
PO2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It is inexcusable for a delegate to mock anyone who has ever put on a soldier's uniform," said Democratic Chairman Terry McAuliffe. "It is inexcusable to mock service and sacrifice."
-- Terry 'The Mouth' McAuliffe, August 30, 2004

BUT MONTHS AGO:

"I look forward to that debate when John Kerry, a war hero with a chest full of medals, is standing next to George Bush, a man who was AWOL in the Alabama National Guard," McAuliffe said. "George Bush never served in our military in our country. He didn't show up when he should have showed up."
-- Terry 'The Hypocrite' McAuliffe, February 9, 2004
integritycounts
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianC wrote:
-- Terry 'The Mouth' McAuliffe, August 30, 2004

BUT MONTHS AGO:

"I look forward to that debate when John Kerry, a war hero with a chest full of medals, is standing next to George Bush, a man who was AWOL in the Alabama National Guard," McAuliffe said. "George Bush never served in our military in our country. He didn't show up when he should have showed up."
-- Terry 'The Hypocrite' McAuliffe, February 9, 2004

Nice quotes
integritycounts
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CNN's Dan Lothian holds one of the "purple heart" bandages.

Delegates mock Kerry with 'purple heart' bandages
Democrats: GOP 'mocking our troops'

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Delegates to the Republican National Convention found a new way to take a jab at Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry's Vietnam service record: by sporting adhesive bandages with small purple hearts on them.

Morton Blackwell, a prominent Virginia delegate, has been handing out the heart-covered bandages to delegates, who've worn them on their chins, cheeks, the backs of their hands and other places.

Blackwell is president of the Leadership Institute, a nonpartisan educational foundation he founded in 1979. According to its Web site, the institute prepares conservatives for success in politics, government and the news media.

Kerry was a decorated Navy officer in Vietnam who became a prominent antiwar activist upon his return home. A group calling itself "Swift Boat Veterans for Truth" has accused Kerry of lying to win combat decorations in Vietnam, including the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart.

And last week, former Sen. Bob Dole, the party's 1996 presidential nominee, brought more attention to the allegations when he told CNN's Wolf Blitzer, "With three Purple Hearts, he never bled that I know of. And they're all superficial wounds."

Dole apologized for the remark the next day after a personal call from Kerry, saying that before taping the interview, "maybe I should have stayed longer for brunch somewhere."

Donna Cain, an Oregon delegate, wore a purple heart bandage on her wrist.

"Probably a lot of people are handing them out because they are very symbolic," she said. Kerry, she said, "has made the war that he served in far more important than his recent records of the last 18 to 20 years."

Kerry's campaign has denounced the allegations as a smear.

Other veterans and military records from the time have contradicted the swift boat group's allegations.

Kerry's campaign quickly responded to the purple heart bandages, saying the Republicans are "mocking our troops."

"The smear continues on the floor of Madison Square Garden," a Kerry campaign statement trumpeted.

But Cain said she didn't see the bandage as a jab at U.S. troops who have been wounded in combat -- more than 6,000 of them so far in the U.S.-led war in Iraq.

"It is not in any way defaming of them, because I know people who have received Purple Hearts and I know that they're not boasting about their war record. They're proud of their serving their country. And, I mean, I just met a woman who lost her husband yesterday in Iraq. And there's a whole entirely different mood."

Pat Peel, the delegate singled out in the Democratic response, promised that there would be many more purple heart bandages on the floor Tuesday.

Dole was sharply criticized by Kerry backers when he questioned whether Kerry's wounds were severe enough to merit a Purple Heart. He said Monday night that "you can't control delegates."

"I'm certain there's no possible connection" between the Bush campaign or Republican leaders and the bandages sported Monday night, he said.

"The last thing President Bush or anybody in the campaign wants to do is stir this up."

The military makes no distinction about the severity of a wound when setting the standards for a Purple Heart.

Although he was grievously wounded in a later battle, Dole wrote in a 1988 biography that the first of his two Purple Hearts was the kind of wound the Army treated "with Mercurochrome and a Purple Heart."

Kerry has called on President Bush to denounce the swift boat veterans' ads. Bush has responded by calling for an end to all attack ads by independent groups but has not specifically criticized the anti-Kerry commercials.

Kerry accuses the group -- funded largely by Republican donors from Bush's home state of Texas -- of being a front group for the president's re-election campaign.

Republicans say Bush has been unfairly attacked by Kerry allies who have questioned whether Bush completed his Vietnam-era service in the Air National Guard. Kerry's spokesmen say their candidate has disavowed those ads.

Find this article at:
http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/08/30/gop.purple.hearts
NavyBrat
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so sick of these Kerry cry babies,
Waaah, waaaah, waaah
Somebody give them a towel.

I watched the convention on C-Span, (less pundits) and the Governor of
Hawaii proudly raised up her wrist with her band-aid. That was my first glimpse of the Purple heart

All I know is, I want one too! Did someone post a link?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: