SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dan Rather is going for it...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJB
LCDR

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goin' for it on the Evening News....

http://www.nationalreview.com/kerry/kerryspot.asp

CBS READIES DEFENSE [09/10 04:23 PM]

New statement from CBS:

Later today, CBS News will address on the air and in detail the issues surrounding the documents broadcast in the 60 MINUTES report on President Bush's service in the Texas Air National Guard. At this time, however, CBS News states with absolute certainty that the ability to produce the "th" superscript mentioned in reports about the documents did exist on typewriters as early as 1968, and in fact is in President Bush's official military records released by the White House. This and other issues surrounding the authenticity of the documents and more on this developing story will be reported on tonight on THE CBS EVENING NEWS WITH DAN RATHER.

MJB
USAF '85-'92
SangRun Hunter
PO1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C'mon guys! Thsi has got to be Nader trying to place blame! Laughing

It looks like a Demon-cat thing if there ever was one!
Robert Cooper
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Rather, let's see - why did "60 Min" get rid of him - oh, yeah! The big lawsuit by a dentist that was financially hurt by Rather's crooked journalistic tactics - and, CBS thought they was safe by keeping him away from investigative reporting to a position in which all he has to do is read a monitor. MSM's can't figure out why they are slipping in the credibility arena, losing ground to the marginals.

Well, I guess they're going add more recipes and outside concerts - no, I wanna see some more muppets! I like the muppets.
RobD
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, what record has the superscript "th" on White House released records? Could this have sliped by us?
DaveL
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJB wrote:
New statement from CBS:

...CBS News states with absolute certainty that the ability to produce the "th" superscript mentioned in reports about the documents did exist on typewriters as early as 1968, and in fact is in President Bush's official military records released by the White House....

does anyone have a link to this Bush-released official document with superscript "TH"? thanks
azpatriot
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been though I would say just about all of his records online and have't even seen the same font let alone a superscript.
ord33
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant they just give it to some independent person and have the ink/paper tested for the time/era it was released? If CBS does not allow these documents to be examined in this manner, there is NO way I would trust them... This should be interesting about the Bush Official Records that have the superscript...that doesnt necessarily mean CBS' documents arent fake...
Stacman
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even the expert analysts said it was "possible" that could be done, but unlikely given the extremes one would have to go through to achieve it. If you're typing a personal memo, I don't think you're going to try for the creative approach.

That's a small portion of the evidence. The type, spacing, font, and the fact that you can virtually duplicate the entire memo in Word is convincing enough.

Just more spin. CBS has to try and cover their ass, and Kerry has to do damage control. Which is understandably why they're now floating the rumor that Karl Rove set up everyone. I'm sure they'll find a way to tie Halliburton in there as well. But it remains to be seen how they'll do that...

These democrats were beginning to show signs of losing it before. But now their own ineptitude is beginning to look hilarious. I can see some great scripts coming out for Saturday Night Live... Laughing
RobD
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

azpat,
Do you have a link to the docs so we can all put some eyes on them?
ARK98
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveL wrote:
does anyone have a link to this Bush-released official document with superscript "TH"? thanks

link

Try the third page of this one, second typed line starting with 4SEP68. Superscripted th in 111th.

This is the only document I've read about, via Allahpundit

Last edited by ARK98 on Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
grandforker
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I posted in another thread, the fact that typewriters existed that were capable of typing superscript or proportional fonts is a red herring. The liklihood of TANG having such a typewriter and using it for everyday memos is extremely slim.

Col. Turnipseed said last night on the Alan Colmes show that TANG didn't even have Selectrics.
Sonar5
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveL wrote:
MJB wrote:
New statement from CBS:

...CBS News states with absolute certainty that the ability to produce the "th" superscript mentioned in reports about the documents did exist on typewriters as early as 1968, and in fact is in President Bush's official military records released by the White House....

Hard to tell, but I fuund these yesterday, from USA Today, posted somewhere else, large file, PDF 674k

http://www.usatoday.com/news/bushdocs/9-Miscellaneous.pdf

Page 3, shows 111th, and that was dated April, '73

File also contains many handwritten notes over typed stuff, such as dates, etc....

However, it does appear that the th may be slightly higher... but it looks a bit off form the text right after it, kind of odd like....

If that is the reference though, everywhere else on that page the th is not superscripted...

Which makes that particular line suspect to me, anyway....

Here is a blowup of the Page 3 doc from USA Today...

And of course, the CYA memo... You look at how messy the th is in the Page 3 record compared to the clean look of the CYA memo...

Besides, who used four year dates back then..... No one I know used four year dates until Y2K started rearing its head...

My Home at AboutPolitics.net:
http://www.aboutpolitics.net/phpBB2/index.php

Last edited by Sonar5 on Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:26 pm; edited 5 times in total
DaveL
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ARK98 wrote:
DaveL wrote:

link

Try the third page of this one, second typed line starting with 4SEP68. Superscripted th in 111th.

This is the only document I've read about, via Allahpundit

Thanks ARK98.

Very curious...I wonder how likely it is that TANG would have a typewriter with that feature at that time...of course, unlike the CBS documents that have numerous indications of forgery, this one looks to be otherwise legitimate at first glance. Would love to get a look at the original or at least higher quality copy.
Truegrit
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: CBS arrogance Reply with quote

You can protest CBS' decision to call off an investigation of the forged documents by writing to:

60II@cbsnews.com

Let a firestorm of protest sail forth against Rather's arrogance!
RobD
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, it looks like that might be a superscript but it is definatly a different font. Look at the 8s.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: