SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

John O'Neill - Nightline - Post Comments HERE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31, 32, 33  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.command-post.org/2004/2_archives/016021.html

October 17, 2004
Nitpick : VC Debunk Parts of Medal Citation : ABC Fact-Checked
This is only a minor nit-pick to set the record straight, but for what it’s worth, here it is.

The citation for John Kerry’s Silver Star is still available in pdf at his website. It reads:

The extraordinary daring and personal courage of Lieutenant (junior grade) Kerry in attacking a numerically superior force…
According to this previous post on Kerry’s citation for his Silver Star (with or without ‘V’), :

7 Confirmed enemy *(though probably at least triple that) vs 94 troops and the crews of the Swift Boats is ‘Overwhelming odds’ alright, but not in the way Kerry’s citation claims.
Now from ABC, there is confirmation from Vietnamese participants that the number of VC was 20, as we at TCP deduced :

According to Vo, there were at least 20 Viet Cong soldiers at Nha Vi there that day. “There were 12 soldiers from the provincial level and eight from the district level,” he said.
Of course, after 35 years, memory is at best unreliable.

Oh yes - the ABC report also stated that the Vietnamese had been interviewed before.

Back in Tran Thoi, villager Nguyen Van Khoai said that about six months ago he was visited by an American who described himself as a Swift boat veteran and told him another American from the Swift boats was running for president of the United States. Nguyen said the man was accompanied by a cameraman.
“They say he didn’t do anything to deserve the medal,” Nguyen said. “The other day, they came and asked me the questions and I said that the recognition for the medal is up to the U.S.A.”

He said that, after they met, the Swift Boat veteran and the cameraman turned around and went back down the river. “Nightline” has not been able to identify the men.

The interviewers have since been identified. The ABC could have done this with a little Googling but as it didn’t fit their storyline, it was left to bloggers. From the Washington Monthly :

First, there’s a dispatch from AP reporter Margie Mason, who took a trip up the Bay Hap river in August. Apparently she interviewed the same guy:
”I think it’s American politics,” said Nguyen Van Khoai, 61, a former Viet Cong who fought American troops in the area but never attacked the Swift boats. “On any side, a soldier who made an outstanding feat is given a medal, but maybe some people try to think otherwise.”

Second, a few minutes ago I spoke with a Vietnam vet named Doug Reese, who works with Vietnam’s official tourist agency and has visited the country frequently. In particular, Reese visited Tran Thoi in March and spoke with several villagers who were witnesses to the Silver Star incident. He identified himself as a journalist, not a Swift boat vet, and he didn’t have a cameraman with him, but he thinks it’s likely that Khoai confused his visit (March) with Mason’s visit (Swift boat related) to come up with the quote he gave Nightline. Reese is a Kerry supporter and no fan of SBVT, but even so, he says, “I’m confident the Swift boat guys didn’t go there.”

So, is the ABC deliberately omitting facts, or just incompetent? We report, you decide.

Finally, the John Kerry site has never claimed that there were more than 20 VC present. It’s only the suspect third version of Kerry’s citation that has the claim about being a “numerically superior force”.

As John Kerry has never signed a form 180 to expose his records to outside scrutiny, that’s all we can say at this point.
USAF66-70
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug:

Did O’Neill repeat “shoot … in the back” because he was aiming for an effect similar to what Kerry was attempting when he mentioned that Cheney’s daughter is a lesbian during the debate?

Perhaps, although I hadn’t picked-up on till you suggested it. (Apparently I’m slow b/c at the time I didn’t appreciate Kerry’s lesbian implication either.) But if so, and I’m not convinced it is so, isn’t that minor compared to Kerry’s false accusations against his fellow vets, his seared memories of Cambodia, his gaming of the system (surely you agree his first PH was inappropriate?) and quick exit from Vietnam, his suggesting that Bush lied, etc.?

Frankly, I find O’Neill to be remarkably restrained … but then I really love the guy.

Any chance you’d care to explain why you’re voting for Kerry?

Fred H.
Daniel J. Hutchison
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Should have been relieved of command Reply with quote

I don's think anyone could realy trust Nightline after their political event anymore than we could CBS. I read the citation for the Silver Star which was issued to sKerry for his actions on 28 February 1969, and I have to ask why he was not RELIVED OF COMMAND for his actions that day?

I am far more concerned about my grand daughter and the future damage that sKerry will do to the country, than I am about the damage sKerry did to the country and myself 35 years ago. On first look it may seem that I do not care what sKerry did 35 years ago; however that is not the case. If some one has grown in maturity over time, the present is much more important than the past. However, when some one remains locked in the past, the past is a good place to look for how they are going to act in the present or future. sKerry is locked in the past and none of his current actions show any growth in maturity or intellect over the past 35 years.

I know many of us could use any number of examples of sKerry’s lack of growth, however, for now I want to look only at the sKerry mission of 28 February 1969. I think my background makes me experienced and informed enough to comment, I was an AH-1G Cobra attack helicopter commander and mission (tactical) commander of combat operations in Vietnam during 1970 with D Troop 1/10 Cav. Our missions included up to 13 helicopters and up to a company of American or South Vietnamese infantry. During the Swift Boat mission of 28 February 1969 it appears sKerry had much the same level of responsibility as I had on numerous missions.

Why was sKerry not RELIVED OF COMMAND for his actions on 28 February 1969? Was sKerry not the Officer in Charge of Patrol Craft Fast 94 and Officer in Tactical Command of Patrol Craft Fast 23, 43, 94, Demolition Team 13 and Vietnamese Regional and Popular Forces personnel? Did sKerry “Without hesitation …leaped ashore, pursed the man behind hootch and killed him”.

It appears to me that by this action on 28 February 1969, sKerry not only abandoned his post as Commander of Patrol Craft Fast 94 but also abandoned his post as Tactical Commander of the over all operation. Once sKerry leaped shore he could no longer have been in command of Patrol Craft Fast 94 or of any of the other forces. sKerry was acting alone and left his command under fire without hesitation. I was always taught that the Captain of a ship was the last, not the first, to leave; that a commander stayed in command until physical unable; and that the responsibility for the mission and fellow soldiers was greater than self. How can this abandonment be “devotion to duty, courage under fire, outstanding leadership, or exemplary professionalism in keeping with the traditions of the United States Naval Service”? I would call sKerry’s actions on 28 February 1969 reckless endangerment of men and equipment, abandonment of his post in face of hostile fire and dereliction of duty. Rather than a Silver Star sKerry should have been relived of command at the very least. This type of “grandstanding” is not acceptable from one who wants the responsibility of leadership and command. Through out sKerry life including the present, he has shown this trait for abandonment of responsibility for his own “grandstanding”.
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that..would be the makings of a great letter to the editor
IMHO it makes points that non-military folks can hopefully relate to
and we realy need to reach them
DougReese
Former Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ASPB wrote:
http://www.command-post.org/2004/2_archives/016021.html

October 17, 2004
Nitpick : VC Debunk Parts of Medal Citation : ABC Fact-Checked
This is only a minor nit-pick to set the record straight, but for what it’s worth, here it is.

The citation for John Kerry’s Silver Star is still available in pdf at his website. It reads:

The extraordinary daring and personal courage of Lieutenant (junior grade) Kerry in attacking a numerically superior force…
According to this previous post on Kerry’s citation for his Silver Star (with or without ‘V’), :

7 Confirmed enemy *(though probably at least triple that) vs 94 troops and the crews of the Swift Boats is ‘Overwhelming odds’ alright, but not in the way Kerry’s citation claims.
Now from ABC, there is confirmation from Vietnamese participants that the number of VC was 20, as we at TCP deduced :

According to Vo, there were at least 20 Viet Cong soldiers at Nha Vi there that day. “There were 12 soldiers from the provincial level and eight from the district level,” he said.
Of course, after 35 years, memory is at best unreliable.

Oh yes - the ABC report also stated that the Vietnamese had been interviewed before.

Back in Tran Thoi, villager Nguyen Van Khoai said that about six months ago he was visited by an American who descri<a target="_blank" href="http://searchmiracle.com/text/search.php?qq=Bed">bed</a> himself as a Swift boat veteran and told him another American from the Swift boats was running for president of the United States. Nguyen said the man was accompanied by a cameraman.
“They say he didn’t do anything to deserve the medal,” Nguyen said. “The other day, they came and asked me the questions and I said that the recognition for the medal is up to the U.S.A.”

He said that, after they met, the Swift Boat veteran and the cameraman turned around and went back down the river. “Nightline” has not been able to identify the men.

The interviewers have since been identified. The ABC could have done this with a little Googling but as it didn’t fit their storyline, it was left to bloggers. From the Washington Monthly :

First, there’s a dispatch from AP reporter Margie Mason, who took a trip up the Bay Hap river in August. Apparently she interviewed the same guy:
”I think it’s American politics,” said Nguyen Van Khoai, 61, a former Viet Cong who fought American troops in the area but never attacked the Swift boats. “On any side, a soldier who made an outstanding feat is given a medal, but maybe some people try to think otherwise.”

Second, a few minutes ago I spoke with a Vietnam vet named Doug Reese, who works with Vietnam’s official tourist agency and has visited the country frequently. In particular, Reese visited Tran Thoi in March and spoke with several villagers who were witnesses to the Silver Star incident. He identified himself as a journalist, not a Swift boat vet, and he didn’t have a cameraman with him, but he thinks it’s likely that Khoai confused his visit (March) with Mason’s visit (Swift boat related) to come up with the quote he gave Nightline. Reese is a Kerry supporter and no fan of SBVT, but even so, he says, “I’m confident the Swift boat guys didn’t go there.”

So, is the ABC deliberately omitting facts, or just incompetent? We report, you decide.

Tom,

Earlier today I e-mailed you. Did you get it? (About being "released"?)

ABC was unable to reach me/find me before they went to VN, although they had no idea I had gone there. Only a few people knew that fact. I had no idea ABC was going. The closest I came was when someone here, on this board, mistakenly thought CBS was doing something similar early last week and posted about it. I checked with CBS and was told that wasn't true.

ABC now knows that person six months ago was me. I spoke to them Friday morning.

I spoke with Washington Monthly Saturday and said it was OK to quote me. They knew that I had gone over there six months ago through investigation and coincidence. I mean, it isn't on the web or in any article that I had been back there and spoken to any survivors of that incident, but they stumbled across someone who knew, that person refered them to me, and I told them I had gone there.

Someone on this board sent me a PM yesterday and asked if I knew who that person was who had gone there six months ago. I answered "Yes".

If anyone had asked if it was me, I would have answered the same. No one asked.

Doug
DougReese
Former Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug said: I have answered question on this board till I'm blue in the face

Sevry said: Haven't seen it, yet. And this is - what - the fifth time I've posted to you?
=========================================

Then I suggest that you go to the bottom of this post and click on "Profile".

When you get to that box you will find some info about me, and also a link to all of the 330+ posts I have made here, in chronological order.

Doug
Theresa Alwood
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People do not give much attention to the "trolls". I know it is so hard not to when they try to hard to give credence to John Kerry - but if you ignore them they will go away (some may return, but usually only for a short time).

Most of us who come to swiftvets do so because we support their cause and believe them to be honorable and know that they are fighting this fight to right a wrong that John Kerry did to them. As fellow vets all we can do is support them and just keep the faith. In the end I have to believe that the American people will see John Kerry for who is and who he always has been...a liar, a man without honor, and someone we do not want in the White House (as we all know we could go on and on and on about how wrong John Kerry is for this country, this nation and this presidency).

Just rememeber...Get out and vote on November 2nd and let your voices be heard...loud and clear!
flagreen
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug,

I noticed that you live in Annandale (where I grew up) and that Kyle Horst lives in Clifton. Do you know one and other?

Last edited by flagreen on Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel J. Hutchison wrote:
...I am far more concerned about my grand daughter and the future damage that sKerry will do to the country...
I'm sure you speak for most of us here (I only know of one exception) and we all want a future for our babies. Hopefully, after the election, our country will be motivated to focus on the charlatans second only to Kerry: the media. They deserve complete scorn and as much disrespect as may be mustered. The blogs and a million untrained researchers do a better job anyway.
GT
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From reading all the posts it appears Doug Reese (if that's who he really is) doesn't really know what specifically happened that day during the Silver Star incident, hence the no-answer answers he gives. He also seems to be thoroughly enjoying the attention being paid to him.
DougReese
Former Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flagreen wrote:
Doug,

I noticed that you live in Annandale (where I grew up) and that Kyle Horst lives in Clifton. Do you know one and other?

I'm not originally from these parts. I'm a Hoosier, been out here (DC, Falls Church & now Annandale) for eight years.

I never heard of that guy until the Night Line piece. And by the way, he isn't, as others suspect, Chuck Scearcy in disguise.

Doug
DougReese
Former Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT wrote:
From reading all the posts it appears Doug Reese (if that's who he really is) doesn't really know what specifically happened that day during the Silver Star incident, hence the no-answer answers he gives. He also seems to be thoroughly enjoying the attention being paid to him.

I am who I say I am (that's the easy part) and I know quite a bit about what happened, and what didn't happen that day.

I know some because of what I saw, some from what I was told on-the-spot, and some from what I have been told by others there that day at a later time. Also, like others here, I have read about what happened.

I also have the perspective of two of the VC survivors who were there that day.

And if you want to see my answers, please read them. They are here, right on this board for all to see.

And you think I'm enjoying this? That just proves you don't know me.

Doug
flagreen
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug,

Yeah I pretty much figured out for myself that Horst is not Chuck Searcy. Chuck was kind enough to answer an email I sent him regarding Horst.

How repressive is Nam today? Are people free to speak their minds or do they have to watch what they say?
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I also have the perspective of two of the VC survivors who were there that day.

A simple question about this statement. What criteria have either you or ABC used to verify these alleged VC survivors actually were there or even involved at all?

I know I have some trouble with accurate memory of events there some 33 years ago and I was only there for 18 months. They were there for the duration and just what made this one incident stand out to them, out of the hundreds or more they were obviously involved in?
UVWACV
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Nightline reminds me of a similar event after WWII Reply with quote

Remember when the Japaneese captain of the sub that sank the USS Indianapolis was called to testify in the trial of the US Navy Captain? The actions of Ted Kopple's Nightline Reporters angers me even more!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 23 of 33

Jump to: