SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where are the books?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> "Unfit For Command"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
angrylady
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: Where are the books? Reply with quote

JK wrote:
Publisher should at least have excerpts or chapters for veterans and the general public on the internet to read while correcting the shortage of books around the US.....

Let's forget about the traditional book stores and have Costco, BJs, Walmart, etc. stock the book to even more people will read Unfit for Command...

Also the issue of every library ordering the book(s) will further help in correcting the shortage problem, I expect many libraries are unaware of the book due to the filtering taking place from major newspapers, tv, trade publications, etc. plus the issue of whether librarians are usually liberal and avoid buying conservative supported publications..

JK

If you're still looking the Washington Times is running three exerpts this week. I think the third one was run today. I'm sure you'll find it at the Times, if not www.realclearpolitics.com has it on their site (top right)
theresa4586
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: books not at Barnes and Noble OR Borders in DC area Reply with quote

I just sent the following email to the publishers copying Borders and Barnes and Noble - neither of which have this in my area :

Hi Patricia, Kristen –

Can you help me ? Have Borders and Barnes and Noble been ordering your books or not ?

Please advise…..

They are not in stock at either of my local stores.

Thanks so much.
Theresa

Subject: Borders and Barnes and Noble in the DC area SAY they can't get your books

Hi Stephanie –

I wanted to try and validate a statement I received from both the Borders store in White Flint mall in Rockville, Maryland – as well as Barnes and Noble in Rockville, MD.

They both do not have “unfit for command” on the shelves and in stock. They say that they have not been able to get the books.

Is this true ?

I also have not to been able to find the books in any of the airport book stores – and I travel for business every week and I checked in 3 airport book stores (san diego, san jose, Atlanta) I flew through this past week – are you really out of the books or are they just not choosing to stock them ? If any of the stores had had them in stock – I would have purchased one just to say thank you for exhibiting them…..

I am debating whether to start a “boycott bookstores” and do all my book shopping at amazon.com – which would be a shame, since I have really enjoyed and attended barnes and noble harry potter parties at my Rockville location and have never walked out with less then a $100 worth of books….

Thanks
Theresa Edited to remove your personal information - Admin
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those still waiting, here is the link to the free preview of chapter 3, that was offered by Human Events OnLine

http://pcf45.com/UnfitCh3%5B1%5D.pdf
ArmyWife
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A B. Dalton employee at the local mall told me that they think they may get a few copies on Thursday or Friday, but they know they will sell them fast.

You can't blame the bookstores for not being able to get or keep this book in stock. It is HOT!
kurtsprincess
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered mine from Amazon on 8/11 and received today.

A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both.
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
Dwight D. Eisenhower
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Where are the books... Reply with quote

The dam must have broken. I just walked into a B&N store in Plano, TX and bought one for $27.95. A bit pricier than others I've seen but since the royalties go to a good cause, what the heck. Signing off now for some study.
SwanLady
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Where are the books? Reply with quote

Jack Mclaughlin wrote:
People were calling in on The Laura Ingraham Show saying that bookstores have no copies of Unfit for Command. The stores are blaming it on the publisher, Regenery. I ordered two copies from Amazon and received one. I went to a bookstore to find another copy for my brother and was told it would not be available until Sept. 25th. What is going on here? I hope the bookstores in Cincinatti have plenty of copies while the VFW veterans are in town.

I just placed a call to the Regnery office. (202 216 0600) and spoke with a lady there. She explained to me about the shortage. Originally the book was supposed to be sent out in bulk NEXT month. But there was an early demand for it, so they sent out 500,000 copies prefront. Those SOLD OUT.

The lady informed me that they have shipped out more this week and will ship more next week as well and more copies should be available in bookstores BY THE END OF THIS MONTH OR BEGINNING OF NEXT MONTH.

There is NO CONSPIRACY to stop the book from being resold. So check with your local retailer, tell them Regnery has said they sent out more copies, and ask if they're going to carry the book. If the retailer says no, tell them you want it special ordered FOR YOU. In fact... get 20 or more other people in your community to do so as well. Go in with your names and contact phone numbers. Special order the book. Believe me, the retailer won't turn down offers to sell!
LongKnife56
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I (foolishly in hindsight) order mine from Human Events thinking they would have the inside track. It finally arrived yesterday.

However, I also called Regenery and they told me that originally the book wasn't supposed to go out in bulk until next month and that they are unable to meet demand but they are shipping more this week.

For the most part I think the bookstores are being honest and are not hiding or refusing to ored or sell the book or following the Kerry campaign's instructions not to carry it..

I plan to check my local libraries after the supply has caught up with demand and if they do not have ample copies, I plan to buy some and donate them so that they will.
Colorado Coasty
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:27 am    Post subject: Got mine right away from Amazon Reply with quote

No matter where, or how you got yours, share it with every friend you have. It is a quick read, and extremely well documented. I expected a lot of acusations. What there is, is a lot of documented evidence! Hats off to John O'Neil.

My daughter has mine. Someone else soon!
Rovercop
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

28 August 04
0152hrs PST

Just ordered three from Amazon.com, standard shipping

Order data, five minutes later:

Shipping estimate: September 7, 2004 - September 13, 2004
Delivery estimate: September 9, 2004 - September 17, 2004

I can wait.

I figure it's more important to buy three copies (for family & friends) at $16.77 a pop and support the SBVT/UFC cause a tweak more than to pick up two for ~$27.50 whenever they arrive at the local B&N.

I doubt the 52 books ordered for the Vancouver, Washington B&N will be enough for my reservation to come through, anyway. Smile

Rovercop
ArmyMedicsMom
LCDR

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just called Borders and they said that the book is "out of print", that all the copies previously printed have been sold. I could be put on a waiting list, but more then 100 people were already on the list ahead of me (the population of the town is about 30,000).

Fortunately, I have already recieved my copy from Amazon, with 3 more copies hopefully to be shipped by Sept 9. I read the book and today sent it on to my son in Fort Campbell. Hes a very fast reader, and he is going to pass it around to his roomates and freinds.

Of the other 3 additional books I have ordered, I am keeping one to share with local freinds and family, and sending the other two books to soldiers I know in Iraq. I am sure it will make the rounds quickly over there.
Chaplain Nick
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:38 am    Post subject: Received my Copy Today Reply with quote

The Fayetteville, NC Books-A-Million received at least 40 copies today, as I was called this morning to come in and pick it up. Since I was no 40 on the list they must have gotten them in.

Great Book, will be able to sit down on Sunday afternoon to read it.

Very Happy
1AD
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:58 am    Post subject: Where's the book Reply with quote

I confirmed that the COSTCO in Manassas, Vriginia has it. $15.95 plus tax.
1AD
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:02 am    Post subject: Where's the book Reply with quote

I confirmed that the COSTCO in Manassas, Vriginia has it. $15.95 plus tax.
radioshack6770
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:15 am    Post subject: "Unfit for Command" at Palm Desert, CA Costco on 8 Reply with quote

Yes. It is at the Costco in Palm Desert, CA on 8/28/04. Bought it and American Solder by Tommy Franks. They were side by side in the book aisle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> "Unfit For Command" All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: