SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Would it be censorship to ban the Kerry Propgandists here?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeremy Eaton
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Please don't Censor Reply with quote

eecee wrote:
Navymomx2 wrote:
I am glad I found this site, for what reading I have done so far, I can see even the ones who disagree with Bush can post.

But the people who started this site are quite insistent that they are not pro-Bush.

What about that? Do they think they exist in some sort of political vaccum where bringing up questions about Kerry's record, won't hurt his campaign? As some of my posts have been censored, for (I believe) political reasons, and not reasons of character, I am willing to bank on partisanship.
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Would it be censorship to ban the Kerry Propgandists her Reply with quote

Hen3 wrote:

I am no fan of censorship, but these people are here for the sole purpose of disrupting the flow of information from those who know what went on to those who are interested in learning the truth.

It would be censorship if those posters had no other venue to spread their opinions.

As I said, setting up BBS's is trivial. This is not the Guilded Age when only Big Money could publish for a widespread audience. Such luddite thinking is fit for a prior era.

What is stopping others from creating a "anti-Swiftvets" site? Why have they not done so?

Indolence.

FDL
waltjones
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparky: I really hate to say this, but you're right on about censorship. You made the point much more eloquently and less harshly than Hesiod, but that's just his style, I guess.

Craig: I'll bet that what you wrote won't get deleted this time. I believe the previous incident was a misunderstanding and part of admin's learning process. From what I can see, admin intends to allow all debate, no matter whose side you're on. On a side note, what has been your experience at moveon.org and DU? Do they allow opposing views to be posted, as long as they're not abusive? Thanks and Semper Fi!
garb1015
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dislike censorship as much as the next person. But trying to ban some of the posters that have been sent here to hijack this site is not, in my opinion censorship. When someone posts over 170 times in one day and they are all the same types of posts with the same Bush bashing and the same non response to the topic, etc, it is obvious who they are and why they were sent here. When people like this have come right out and admitted that that's why they're here, I certainly feel that they can be banned, and that banning would not be censorship.
I, for one, welcome Kerry supporters to visit this site and by all means try and convince me why they think he is qualified to lead this country. You can do that by answering some of the claims against his political record. His voting record has been posted here and people have claimed that he has flip-flopped, that he has jumped onto winning bandwagons to advance his career, that he has been basically a Ted Kennedy clone which is a great way to maintain job security on the hill and that his views on issues such as gun control, abortion, gay marriage, tax cuts, military cuts to name a few, support him and his job and not what is best for the country.
When the Kerry supporters have finished addressing that issue, then they can concentrate on changing my mind in regard to his self-serving military carreer, as short as it was, and the damage that he caused to Viet Nam veterans and to this entire country with his words and actions in the early seventies.
Now, if Kerry supporters can come here and debate that this man has the ability to lead this country honorably and to be an honorable CIC, then I will fight in any way I can to prevent them from being censored or banned.
publius
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garb1015, the very best thing about Kerry is that he is a liberal and would govern just left of center.

That means he would favor a fair shake for all Americans, would decrease the power corporations have to purchase the work product of Congress, and would promote peace through strength while returning America to its previous respect and esteem in the world -- in the end our moral authority is and always has been far more powerful than our guns and Bush and company have squandered it to an historic low. Millions of young out-of-work men who consider America the great Satan based on its killing of thousands of innocents will not make us safer. Make the case that it will if you can.

It is the liberal mind that has provided all the decency and social justice that all Americans enjoy, ironically, including the very conservatives who wish to set asunder the progress of the last two centuries from our founding to the present. From long experience, we can expect conservatives to howl louder than ever as their dog-eat-dog case falters but there is solace in knowing the struggle for a just society is old and despite temporary setbacks, they have continually lost it to people who actually revere humanity more than money, mutual progress instead of the law of the jungle.

Most Americans think America is not on the right track. Kerry will get us back on course. The screams and abuse from conservatives at this site speak volumes to the fear they feel as they watch their man sink by virtually every measure.

I've now read enough of this forum to have a good feel for the place. This discussion board isn't about facts it is nothing more than one more hatchet job in the politics of character assasination and personal destruction pioneered and perfected by Republicans. In my opinon, the best reading here is the thoughtful, factual refutations of their extremist distortions. Funny how they can dish it out...
Bhist
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

publius wrote:
Garb1015, the very best thing about Kerry is that he is a liberal and would govern just left of center.

That means he would favor a fair shake for all Americans, would decrease the power corporations have to purchase the work product of Congress, and would promote peace through strength while returning America to its previous respect and esteem in the world -- in the end our moral authority is and always has been far more powerful than our guns and Bush and company have squandered it to an historic low. Millions of young out-of-work men who consider America the great Satan based on its killing of thousands of innocents will not make us safer. Make the case that it will if you can.

It is the liberal mind that has provided all the decency and social justice that all Americans enjoy, ironically, including the very conservatives who wish to set asunder the progress of the last two centuries from our founding to the present. From long experience, we can expect conservatives to howl louder than ever as their dog-eat-dog case falters but there is solace in knowing the struggle for a just society is old and despite temporary setbacks, they have continually lost it to people who actually revere humanity more than money, mutual progress instead of the law of the jungle.

Most Americans think America is not on the right track. Kerry will get us back on course. The screams and abuse from conservatives at this site speak volumes to the fear they feel as they watch their man sink by virtually every measure.

I've now read enough of this forum to have a good feel for the place. This discussion board isn't about facts it is nothing more than one more hatchet job in the politics of character assasination and personal destruction pioneered and perfected by Republicans. In my opinon, the best reading here is the thoughtful, factual refutations of their extremist distortions. Funny how they can dish it out...

For the very first time I was reading your posts as an honest attempt to bring civil discussion about Kerry vs. Bush. But, then, you included the last paragraph.

You just couldn't make a statement without attacking. Now, you wonder why you get the responses you do. My advise to you is if you can't be civil -- if you can’t keep your posts to what this one was minus the last paragraph, then leave the board. You cannot expect a civil response with the way you approach the posters of this board.

So, go ahead and attack me, call me names, but if you do, then you're not being honest with yourself.
DougReese
Former Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garb1015 wrote:
I dislike censorship as much as the next person. But trying to ban some of the posters that have been sent here to hijack this site is not, in my opinion censorship. When someone posts over 170 times in one day and they are all the same types of posts with the same Bush bashing and the same non response to the topic, etc, it is obvious who they are and why they were sent here.

It may be obvious who they are, but I wouldn't be so sure someone sent them here.

While I fall into the pro-Kerry category (not the posting level you mentioned, though), I can assure you that no one sent me.

Doug
publius
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhist wrote:
For the very first time I was reading your posts as an honest attempt to bring civil discussion about Kerry vs. Bush. But, then, you included the last paragraph.

You just couldn't make a statement without attacking. Now, you wonder why you get the responses you do. My advise to you is if you can't be civil -- if you can’t keep your posts to what this one was minus the last paragraph, then leave the board. You cannot expect a civil response with the way you approach the posters of this board.

So, go ahead and attack me, call me names, but if you do, then you're not being honest with yourself.

Let's get a couple of things out of the way. I'm sure neither of us wishes to belabor the point, but I've made a whole 10 posts here. Period. I've hardly gotten any responses and I don't for even a second, wonder why I get the responses I do. As for civil, that must be an eye-of-the-beholder thing because while my last paragraph is certainly criticism, I think it is levelled civilly. I honestly thought anyone, including you would too, although I certainly don't expect you to in any way agree with the opinions I expressed. If you think about it I'll bet you can see why I do not like your advice to leave the forum. I don't expect to be a heavy regular here but can't see what I've said that is out of line for civil debate.

I'm surprised but glad you started to read the post with some assumption of good faith on my part. I assure you, that while I mean to have a provocative edge, I also mean to promote discussion and while I can do it, I really don't have much taste for continuous invective. It's boring and distasteful to me.

The liberal/conservative divide is an important one and one that sets the two candidates apart. I'm proud to be a liberal and can tell you why. Maybe you will want to develop what's good about conservatism, or the Bush administration's conservatism, or wrong with liberalism and we can all talk it over. I don't speak for Kerry but I do undestand and admire liberal values so will try to present them in a good light.

Thank you for a civil response -- I hope you find this one in kind.

Edited for typo.
Bhist
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much better. Thank you.
nakona
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, there is no such thing as censorship on ANY web forum.
Censorship is something the govt does. THIS is private property.

Second, it's hypocritical of the invaders from ** to whine about censorship, when anyone who jojns their site but does not agree with their views is banned immediately.

Third, it's important to make a distinction between "censorship" and defending against invasion.

You'll notice that the DU invaders try to maintain their posting privilages by appealing to the site's collective guilt about doing something as unamerican as "censorship", while on THEIR site, they do much worse all the time.

Banning obvious invaders and trolls isn't censorship, and if we allow the invaders to define it that way, then they have won.

That's exactly how they win in public all the time; by redefining things in such a way that they can manipulate them.

Don't fall for it people... don't let them fool you.
waltjones
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: an honest liberal Reply with quote

publius: I appreciate your honesty when you say you're proud to be a liberal, but please don't assume that everyone here is a Republican! Many of us here are angry at John Kerry. See John Moore's analysis of his Senate testimony at wintersoldier.com and my topic Calling All Marines. If he were to apologize, perhaps some of the hatred would dissipate, and then his candidacy could be decided on purely political issues. I know it's hard for you to accept, but many Vietnam veterans feel the same way. That's not to say there aren't conservatives here taking advantage of the situation - they are the people you need to debate with - and you do so graciously and well. I'm afraid, however that people in my category are a waste of your time.

Semper Fi!
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

publius wrote:
Garb1015, the very best thing about Bush is that he is a conservative and governs just right of center.

That means he favors a fair shake for all Americans, has decreased the power corporations have to purchase the work product of Congress, and promotes peace through strength while keeping America's respect and esteem in the world -- in the end our moral authority is and always has been far more powerful than our guns and Bush and company have kept it that way. Millions of young out-of-work men who have been trained since early childhood to believe America is the great Satan will not make us safer. Make the case that it will if you can.

It is the conservative mind that has provided all the decency and social justice that all Americans enjoy, ironically, including the very liberals who wish to set asunder the progress of the last two centuries from our founding to the present. From long experience, we can expect liberals to howl louder than ever as their politics of race baiting and fear falters but there is solace in knowing the struggle for a just society is old and despite temporary setbacks, they have continually lost it to people who actually revere humanity more than money, mutual progress instead of the law of the jungle.

Most Americans think America is on the right track. Bush will keep us on course. The screams and abuse from liberals at this site speak volumes to the fear they feel as they watch their man sink by virtually every measure.

I've now read enough of this forum to have a good feel for the place. This discussion board isn't about facts it is nothing more than one more hatchet job in the politics of character assasination and personal destruction pioneered and perfected by non-Kennedy democrats. In my opinon, the best reading here is the thoughtful, factual refutations of their extremist distortions. Funny how they can dish it out...

I like your style. Just did some selective editing to give a truer picture.
Thanks for the help, Publius. You write really real when the right words are inserted.
War Dog
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Publius and Doug, thanks for keeping it civil and honestly debating and discussing the issues and topics. The people that have been banned are ones that have come here for the express purpose of disrupting this site, causing as much trouble as they can, flaming all here at this site. They start from their first posts by attacking, name calling, insults, etc... They open as many new threads as they can, Saint opened over 85 new threads in about six hours. The Administrator and the Moderators know who here is sincere, who belongs, and who doesn't. You two have no worries, as I and I'm sure that the majority of others here enjoy your posts, and value your opinions.

That's what we all are here for, to discuss and debate the issue of whether John F. Kerry should be President and CIC! Keep up your posts, and keep the debate coming!

Woof!

When cops need help, they call the K-9 unit."
DougReese
Former Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

War Dog wrote:
Publius and Doug, thanks for keeping it civil and honestly debating and discussing the issues and topics. The people that have been banned are ones that have come here for the express purpose of disrupting this site, causing as much trouble as they can, flaming all here at this site. They start from their first posts by attacking, name calling, insults, etc... They open as many new threads as they can, Saint opened over 85 new threads in about six hours. The Administrator and the Moderators know who here is sincere, who belongs, and who doesn't. You two have no worries, as I and I'm sure that the majority of others here enjoy your posts, and value your opinions.

That's what we all are here for, to discuss and debate the issue of whether John F. Kerry should be President and CIC! Keep up your posts, and keep the debate coming!
Woof!

Well, I guess that answers the "Who posted 170 times in one day?" question. I never really paid attention to Saint's posts (nothing worthwhile to read), and must have been busy this weekend when he/she/it made all those posts/threads, assuming it was this weekend.

You know, you could go the sampley or Kerry lied sites route, and just not allow anyone who isn't against Kerry on the board -- that's what they do. I have a feeling that goes against what you represent, though.

Doug
War Dog
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You know, you could go the sampley or Kerry lied sites route, and just not allow anyone who isn't against Kerry on the board -- that's what they do. I have a feeling that goes against what you represent, though.

Doug, we all have our crosses to bear, and our individual skeletons in our closets from Vietnam. Like I said, this board is for all of us to debate and discuss if John F. Kerry should or shouldn't be the next President and CIC of the United States. Not the faults of anybody else in this nation such as the Clintons, their administration, George HW Bush, or our current President and his administration. There are numerous sites and boards on the internet for that.

I value and respect anybody who is pro-Kerry, just as I do those who are anti-Kerry. We all have our own reasons for our feelings and opinions on this subject, and to each of us, our reasons are valid. I'll not condemn anyone that feels differently than I do. I am against John F. Kerry for who he is as a person, what he did when he returned to the US, what he did to the Vietnam Veterans, and his political record since then. As a Veteran and a Vietnam Veteran, he deserves the same respect as any other Veteran and Vietnam Veteran.

I have questions concerning his activities over in Vietnam, his medals, honors, and actions, but that is very minor in my concerns on this matter. My main objections are as I listed in the paragraph above. As a member of this board, as a fellow Vietnam Veteran, and as a Moderator, I will be fair in my treatment of all on this board, either pro or anti Kerry. All I ask is that all follow the rules, and keep it clean and honest. Sure we all express our emotions, but we can express those emotions, and still follow the rules.

It's much harder to engage in honest debate and discussions by keeping on track on the issues and topics, and not having to resort to name calling, slandering others, insulting others, using foul language, and the urge to take it off topic by pointing out the faults of others like President Bush, members of his Administration, the Clintons, first President Bush, President Reagan, etc...

If we all police each other and ourselves, we can have a lot of great discussions and debates, and maybe some of us may change some minds on the other side, I doubt it, but it's worth a try. At any rate, by doing this, we all learn something about others, and oursleves while we are at it.

Just my .02 cents from an old War Dog!

Woof!

When cops need help, they call the K-9 unit."
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: