SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mr. Vietnam Veteran,
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nathanyl
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael,

Quote:
By saying Kerry is lying, yall are saying all these other men are lying!

Are all these men liars?

If swift vetsl are telling then truth - then all these other men must be lying - right?

I think it's very possible and even probably that Kerry and his campaign could convince some vets if not to outright lie, to at the least withhold information, and twist facts for the "sake of the country".

The swift boat vets on the other hand really gain nothing but being put under a microscope, slandered and smeared by the press for telling their version of events. These guys are the true patriots and trying to keep this country from making a serious mistake. If you take the time to read through the boards here what you'll see is this doesn't deal with wanting Bush in office and IS NOT politically motivated. The thing that brings people together here is a disdain for what Kerry did after leaving Vietnam and the audacity the man has to run mainly on his Vietnam record after all the damage he caused back then.
Grampa
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Mr. Vietnam Veteran, Reply with quote

buzsq
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As Viet Nam soldiers we were the first to return home and have to defend ourselves from the very people, we were fighting for. No time in our history has the American soldier been spit on and generally degraded for doing their duty, by the American people. No we weren’t willing or wanting to talk about what we had seen or what had happened in Viet Nam. To many people had already made up their minds as to what the true story was, (1) it was the first war to be experienced on the TV every night in everyone’s living room, (and we know the news media always shows the true story, right), (2) Hanoi John and Jane for sure had the true story and they told everyone just what is was, (3) the politicians had received a lot of grief about the war and so they knew the true story of being reelected, take it out on the military, (4) many of us didn’t want to talk about what we saw, I was in a medical unit and believe me I don’t want to talk about what I saw, war is gruesome, bloody, full of fear and fright so why would we want to talk about it and many wouldn’t understand if you tried to explain, for they already knew the truth. War is an atrocity unto itself filled with unspeakable acts of terror and heroism all at the same time.

Well said, unfortunately the general public still can't deal with vietnam or us!
I and II corps
AMOS
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: No vets talk about it. Reply with quote

Mike, none of the real war vets from ANY wars talk about what happened or what they did. The reason we're having forums like this is the dumbass opened his mouth and became a "hero". This was after thirty-some years of him being on the "other side". The idiot is a real phony and real ignorant. For example, early on in the campaign, he muttered something like "We gotta get someone that can speak Muslim". "Speak Muslim?" Yeah, get someone that can speak Methodist or Catholic while you're at it. He's just plain stoooopid. He gets diarrhea of the mouth and there's no telling what'll come out. I, like many others here probably aren't that excited about politics, normally. But Old Dumbo ain't normal in what he says and does. And we're so p_ssed off with him trying to do the switcheroo over to "hero" that we've decided that ain't gonna happen.

Like I said in an earlier post, if I could just have a few minutes alone with him I could make him understand that slamming me about V.N. ain't a bright thing to do. "Old Norman" would "get out" for that one, fo sho.

Amos.

Semper Fidelis
baldeagl
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Talked and saw. Reply with quote

PO2 wrote:
Michael B. Smith wrote:

Do you think that perhaps the problem today is that none of you Vietnam vets wanted to talk about it then? [That was not intended to be a smart ass response but rather a serious question.]

Astute observation. The primary reason we did not talk about it then (and didn't even admit we were Nam vets was the propoganda put out by the likes of Kerry. To discuss the matter meant to be innundated with verbal abuse with the words of Kerry being hurled at us. Even as little as 10 years ago I heard the same thing from one of my professors. In addition, by keeping silent, many of us developed Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. It is recognized now that discussing the stressor at the time helps reduce or eliminate the symptoms. We did not have that opportunity at the time, it was denied to us so we carried the memories within us, growing and getting worse each night.

Ten years ago my a$$. It happened last year in Vermont, where a female National Guard member was called a baby killer by some teenagers who also threw rocks at her. That is why this overinflated, egomaniacal, pathological liar must be stopped now! and the truth must finally be told.
unohombre
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall meeting a young man at a Viet Vet gathering in support of the men and women serving in the first gulf battle. I told him I saw no atrocities during my fifteen months in Vietnam. He replied that his father told him that atrocities were commonplace. To prove his father's validity, I guess, he then volunteered that his father's best friend was killed while on guard duty at night. According to "dad", he had just lit his cigarette and passed the light to his buddy, who was shot en la cabeza while lighting his own cig.

This was too much of an opportunity to pass up, so I called over a retired Army Light Colonel and asked the kid to repeat both his charge about the "commonplace" atrocities and the classic story of the best buddy getting KIA'd for being the second to grab a light. He did repeat himself, closing with "my dad would never lie to me".

Then we presented our points. Neither of us saw any atrocities. Between us, we served nearly three years in Vietnam; myself in support, the LTC in infantry as an advisor to the ARVNs. And NOBODY ON GUARD DUTY AT NIGHT WOULD BE STUPID ENOUGH TO LIGHT A CIGARETTE. If anyone was stupid enough to do it, he would have been busted so hard that he might wish Charlie actually did take a shot at him. Stupidity like that gets good guys killed.

My name is Don Truitt. I served in RSVN in '67 and '68.

There are a lot of myths about Vietnam and Viet Vets that have been accepted as facts over the intervening decades. Most of them are based on lies told by jerks who probably never saw Vietnam except on television.[/b]
PO2
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:00 pm    Post subject: Thank you for the chance. Reply with quote

FireDog53 wrote:
Micheal,
This whole thing has brought many of us back to a time I think most of us wish were sometimes forgotten. It won't be forgotten inside ourselves but Kerry has again brought it to the forefront as center piece of his campaign and WE are fighting back, the silence has ended.
Mark Wilson
RVN 10-70 to 2-72

FireDog:

It has taken over 30 years of therapy, many hours in Nam vets therapy groups, two VA hospitalizations, $900.00 a month in medications, and two civilian hospitalizations to get to the point I am now. I have faced the monster inside me and, although he has not been conquered, it retreats to its cave in the back of my mind more and more.

I am GLAD that Kerrry has taken us back to 1971. It provides many of us the opportunity to say what we have been feeling for these past 30 some years. Words we could not say at the time, words which have eaten their way to our very souls. It is well time that we get rid of the burden we have been carrying around for so long. The memories of that place still sting, but at least now we can tell everyone how much they sting us, we can tell them how they hurt us on our return and after. It is time. Time to let it out., time to start the healing process within us.
PO2
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]

I think it's very possible and even probably that Kerry and his campaign could convince some vets if not to outright lie, to at the least withhold information, and twist facts for the "sake of the country".
[/quote]

I have the feeling that it is in their interest that they are doing what they are. We all know that there are many appointments the President makes when assuming office. Wonder where we will see these guys if Kerry gets ellected (perish the though) In addition, look at their lifestiyle right now. Jetting around the country on someone elses expense account, flying around in private jets, parading in front of TV cameras, being greeted warmly and in hero stiyle by the Democrats each place they go. The temptation is just too much to resist by some people.
xcorpsman-usn
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PO2 wrote:

I have the feeling that it is in their interest that they are doing what they are. We all know that there are many appointments the President makes when assuming office. Wonder where we will see these guys if Kerry gets ellected (perish the though) In addition, look at their lifestiyle right now. Jetting around the country on someone elses expense account, flying around in private jets, parading in front of TV cameras, being greeted warmly and in hero stiyle by the Democrats each place they go. The temptation is just too much to resist by some people.

The power of the president to appoint is why the dems are so frenic about getting gwb out of office..susan orstrich admitted it in one of her more candid moments.it is about guviment jobs the life blood of the dems. Shocked
d19thdoc
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Mr. Vietnam Veteran, Reply with quote

Michael B. Smith wrote:
Quote:
Unfortunately, I do not know a whole lot about Vietnam.

This is evident. Nevertheless, your limited personal experience becomes the basis for challenging the testimony of over 250 men who were there.

Quote:
". . . my MOS was 05B [combat radio operator].

The official designation for this MOS was "radio operator." Period. The self-aggrandizing embellishment "combat" is a nice touch - almost Kerry-esque.
Quote:

I distinctly remember my various platoon daddies and squad Sgts et al telling me stories of atrocities that occured in Vietnam.

This is evidence of exactly nothing, and adheres to the same journalistic and legal standards as the so-called "testimony" of the "Winter Soldier Investigation" witnesses.

Quote:
I saw ex Congressman Pete McClosky last night, who also testified in 1971 and said pretty much the same thing as Kerry. McClosky is a highly decorated anchor cranker, recieving the Navy Cross.

I saw the same interview. McClosky is a partisan who did not have even the basic facts straight. And he never served in Vietnam. He is a Korean War vet. But then, what difference does that make?

Quote:
Raussman verifies Kerry claims, even my Uncle who was in the Navy and served on some kind of boats in the rivers of Vietnam has told me horrible stories.

It's "Rassman." War veterans all have horrible stories. Some of them are even true. And Rassman did not verify Kerry's "claims." He attests to only one claim, the "No Man Left Behind" story. His version is disputed by many others who were on the scene, above water, when it went down. And Rassman hardly knew Kerry before or since the incident. He was an Army officer being transported on an operation, and merely a "passenger" on Kerry's boat.
Quote:

confused in Texas.

Obviously. And no wonder. If you want to dispute the facts, learn what they are, and don't repeat second-hand misinformation.

Obviously someone is not telling the whole truth, is mistaken, or confused. And someone is probably outright lying. In any dispute of facts among eyewitnesses, consider who has what to gain by lying. Some private citizens are giving up a lot to challenge someone who seeks to gain the most powerful position in history. Consider who has made a career of "nuance" and "over-the-tops."
d19thdoc
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael,
I have developed an unfortunate habit of reading the first post in a new thread and popping off a claymore. I have read this entire thread since my first post, and I am sorry if I appear to have been hostile. You seem like a sincere and honest veteran of the next generation. We (Vietnam Vets) often forget that other generations have come along who have no first hand recollection of what it was like in those days both here and in Vietnam. We also grew up in a time when the MSM and the American educational system had not yet been over-run by the bastard children of Chairman Mao and Madame Binh.

I suggest that the very first item on your reading list should be Kerry's entire testimony to the Senate of 4/22/71. The entirety is almost unknown to the public and to the media "giants" on both sides of this question. I have devoted hours daily for the past seven months to reviewing the source documents. They are stunning. Start there. Look in WinterSoldier.com.
d19thdoc
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: Thank you for the chance. Reply with quote

PO2" wrote:

Quote:
It has taken over 30 years of therapy, many hours in Nam vets therapy groups . . .
. . . I am GLAD that Kerrry has taken us back to 1971. It provides many of us the opportunity to say what we have been feeling for these past 30 some years.

It was a shock to me how deeply this whole matter has provoked me. After seven years of intensive therapy also, revisiting all of the horrors of Vietnam and "reprocessing" them (all of them perpetrated by the enemy, by the way, on us and on the Vietnamese civilian population - I was a medic and never fired my weapon) - it was a shock to discover that I had not really "recovered" emotionally. Why? Because one of the worst traumas of the entire experience did not happen in Vietnam - and I never knew that until Kerry's candidacy reawakened it all. It happened here, at home - after my war. And it was ongoing. The ringmaster was John Kerry, and now he is back. It is like an Orwellian nightmare - this monstrosity from my worst imaginings is now to sit in the Oval Office?

A veteran of combat cannot survive intact emotionally unless the larger society validates his sacrifice and his actions. That is why we have medals and parades and veterans organizations and the VA, etc. This is a very sophisticated idea, and the enemies of this country understood it very well. This was their method of attack, and John Kerry was their weapon. In a sense, Vietnam Vets were also used as unwitting weapons against the country they had defended with their lives; by discrediting them, Kerry discredited the foundation of the country. This was the most perverse and demonic twist of all. We who had sacrificed so much for our country were portrayed as examples of the country's evil essence. And there was no other weapon that could discredit us entirely besides another authentic, heroic veteran - because no matter who attacked us, we'd always have each other - unless a Kerry could be found to deprive us of even the harbor of comradeship. And Kerry stepped up: "Reporting for duty!" The crap about protesting the policy but not the soldiers, the crap that ex-Congressman McCloskey repeated on TV last night, is just that. Crap. The warriors are the war. You cannot tell a soldier in Vietnam (or in Iraq) that he's doing good for his country, but that his country is evil, his war is evil, his actions are evil. This is what they did to us. Is it any wonder morale in the ranks went to hell late in the war?

Beware. They will do the same thing to the troops in Iraq. It has already clearly started. And be sure of this. Kerry will not side with the troops or the war. He will lay us open to the same kind of policies that Carter and Clinton used to make us vulnerable, or even helpless, before our enemies. Remember McGovern's admission in the mid-90s about Vietnam: "We didn't want America to win the war."
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:08 am    Post subject: If Michael is still reading Reply with quote

Who's to blame for nation's Vietnam wounds? -- John Kerry

August 29, 2004

BY MARK STEYN SUN-TIMES COLUMNIST

...probably the only thing in John Kerry's life for which he can take full credit -- to his eternal disgrace.

Michael, all your research has been done for you at www.WinterSoldier.com, and the article linked above is just one of hundreds exposing John Kerry for the opportunist and shallow scoundrel he is.

Now let's ask some of his volunteers how he treated them earlier THIS YEAR -- not during the Vietnam War, not AFTER the Vietnam War, THIS YEAR. Democrat volunteers opening their homes and businesses to him, providing free phone banks for communication, free transportation -- all so he could enjoy his FREE vacation at Sun Valley. Did he thank them properly? THEY report, YOU decide:

Kerry Leaves Local Dems Hanging in Sun Valley

From the Editor: Kerry Volunteers Deserved Better

How do you think he will treat "us little people" if he becomes President?

John Kerry's whole life has been a self-serving crusade, a theatrical experience, all with one goal: to one day be President of the United States. He was in a unique position to affect history in a positive way and reverse the course of "anti-Americanism" starting to sweep the country when he returned from Vietnam had he simply conducted himself with honor and told the truth. We had virtually won the war by smashing the TET offensive in '68. His record shows he failed to do that. In fact, if you read the article at the beginning of this post, you see the results.

His poison cost us victory then, and it threatens our victory now. We survived the loss in Vietnam. We cannot survive a loss to the Islamofascists. The "war on terror" is really a war to preserve or destroy civilization, and again, John Kerry is on the wrong side.

Click on my website link in my signature, read the poem, then click on it and you might find answers to some of your questions, especially about atrocities. My year in Southeast Asia was not at all as John Kerry and the misnamed "Vietnam Veterans Against the War" described it. You will also find out why I chose those words as my signature.

John Kerry never saw the moon over Cambodia from inside the borders, but I did. That's posted on my site, too.

...you can also contact me through that page.
Michael B. Smith
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="d19thdoc"]Michael,
I have developed an unfortunate habit of reading the first post in a new thread and popping off a claymore. I have read this entire thread since my first post, and I am sorry if I appear to have been hostile. You seem like a sincere and honest veteran of the next generation. <<<<

I was trying to be - I am truley concerned and truly interested.

However - no offense taken - I know and I understand this is a touchy subject - especially now. This is why I am even more concerned about this.

I am not calling anyone a liar - especially not the swift vets, or anyone on this board who served in Vietnam. I deeply respect you and all your brethren and sincerely thank you for your service.

I would say respectfully (if I may) your first response is proof of why I am concerned and frankly - it frightens me that our country is being torn apart!

PS - according to my DD214 it was combat radio operator (hence the Bravo designator) but - really - it doesn;t matter - I was never in comabt and only 2 or 3 years into my tenure - they did away with the MOS and chaged it to 31K which was a cross between RTO (05B) and a "wire rat" whopse old MOS nomenclature I do not remember.

Thank you for you response (both of them) and I will file it all in my brain.

I might add - If I haven't said in any other post - I am not voting for Kerry - frankly I care less for him. I have traditionally always been a conservative Republican - however - as I have done the past 3 general elections, I will vote for the Libertarian candidate this year.

I only mention this - as I want to assure all you fine men and ladies that I have no partisan reason for having asked my questions - only the concern that I would wish ALL people would have for our country and our countrymen! And I think the main proof of this is - I have been frank and posted under my real name.

Sincerely
Michael Berryman Smith
Fort Worth, Texas
d19thdoc
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael,
Part of the reason some of us are hostile in our responses to anyone who appears here to question what we are about is that many Vietnam Vets feel like this is a repeat of the smears we endured from the left for a lifetime, of which John Kerry was the principle spokesman - he did not start it, but he validated it for the mainstream; and partly because in the early days of this board (go back on the index page and click the high number pages) we were over run with vile trolls, some posing as "uninformed" innocents, before the moderators got hold of the situation; and partly because some of us, me among them, especially if we have read deeply into the source documents (i.e. news articles and other valid records of the actual words and actions of these people - VVAW, etc. in the '60s and '70s, and our own experiences then) are conviinced that they were true subversives and willing operatives of the communist intel organizations, actively working to undermine America through demoralization and subversion of our military. Their goal was the military victory of the communist forces in SE Asia. They said so repeatedly.

And what actually happened?

This is not as "paranoid" as it might at first seem to some, if you understand that our freedoms make such subversion here possible, while in the police states on the other side, such psy-ops activities by us against them were not possible. They would have been derelict in their duty as they saw it, and stupid of the opportunity, if they had not acted against the USA in this way.

History, as I see it, proved this - both in what transpired in SE Asia after "their" Congress, elected in 1974, cut the legs out from under our South Vietnamese allies, long after all our troops were home, and in what has since transpired in this country in the mediums of mass propaganda, the court-oligarchy and education especially.

The impotence of our military, both in terms of funding and in morale terms (see the Iran hostage crisis of impotence) was also a direct result of this deliberate campaign. What, do you think, would have happened if Carter had won a second term and Ronald Reagan had never served as President? The worst part of it is this: their program is deliberately hidden (see the Democratic National Convention just over) and based on lies and deceit - as we have personally experienced.

The divisions you see and fear in America have been deliberately created. Divide and conquer. "E Pluribus, Plures."

All I am trying to do is expose this and prevent it from becoming the dominant power here. To many of us, this is merely a continuation of the psychological warfare in the "American Theater of Operations" we became unknowing participants in, and victims of, back in the early 70's. They won many battles, and they now want to close the deal.

Kerry is another big, recycled nail in the coffin of our freedoms. Vietnam veterans know this better than any other group, and we will not remain silent again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: