SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NEWS: Navy Challenging Kerry's Medals
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NavyChief
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wing Wiper wrote:
Navy Chief: In your opinion, from what you know right now (and I don't need to hear any details), does this story have legs as far as an official Navy investigation? Yes/No
Thanks

YES IT DOES!

1) Falsifying SECNAV Document

2) False Official Record

- instigator
RiflemanDD730
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we should be careful on this issue. It can be easily explained away as a typo. If it gets a lot of hype and then an "official" investigation identifies it as a simple mistake the MSM will jump all over it to explain away any serious irregularities found in the future on other documents. I smell straw man here.
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're being careful, I think. Just trying to verify that the Navy is officially involved. Let them do the work. Very Happy
Hammer2
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RiflemanDD730 wrote:
I think we should be careful on this issue. It can be easily explained away as a typo. If it gets a lot of hype and then an "official" investigation identifies it as a simple mistake the MSM will jump all over it to explain away any serious irregularities found in the future on other documents. I smell straw man here.

Wrong, you don't understand the signifigence. The only military records available about Kerry's service are the ones that Kerry has released on his website. In addition, records are not there that should be there. There is no independent source of his military records to verify what he claims or what the Swifties claim.
What this means is that it could be a typo or it could be a forgery. Kerry controls independent access to the documents. That is why the Form 180 is important. Independent access and review of all the documents is critical, otherwise you just have to take Kerry's word for everything.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're missing rifleman's point.

This could backfire. We don't need backfires over such a tiny part of the overall picture.

The pro-Kerry media has already used everything in its arsenal to discredit this organization and whether you like it or not, everything you post here is connected to the organization in the mind of the public and of the media.

Moving to the geedunk.....
Chuck Z Ombie AC2000
LCDR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order for the combat V to be a typo wouldnt it have to be a mistake for another letter of the alphabet? i think its highly unlikely a V was added as a typo . I think it was intentially added. Now it may be an error in that the person typing the report thought the silver star was a bronze star and if thats the case i think thats more damning becuase maybe Kerry was supposed to receive a bronze star instead of silver.

The story about losing the 2 silver star citations and needing a third new citation makes no sense at all and based on those 2 things i think there is something very Fishy about the whole thing. Kerry or soembody on the campaign monkeyed with those records to make Kerry look more heroic and now its ging to be exposed.
Hammer2
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck Z Ombie AC2000 wrote:
In order for the combat V to be a typo wouldnt it have to be a mistake for another letter of the alphabet? i think its highly unlikely a V was added as a typo . I think it was intentially added. Now it may be an error in that the person typing the report thought the silver star was a bronze star and if thats the case i think thats more damning becuase maybe Kerry was supposed to receive a bronze star instead of silver.

The story about losing the 2 silver star citations and needing a third new citation makes no sense at all and based on those 2 things i think there is something very Fishy about the whole thing. Kerry or soembody on the campaign monkeyed with those records to make Kerry look more heroic and now its ging to be exposed.

This is my point. The only way to know the truth is to have independent access to the original documents. We should not be afraid of the truth. The work of the Swifties is being vetted by the entire country, not just the media. It is important to be strait up with whatever facts are uncovered. The media will do what it will, but their spin is also vetted and the truth does emerge.
John Gault
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy_Navy_Navy wrote:
This could backfire.

Truth is truth, let the cards fall where they may. If they are lies, expose them.

If they are mistakes, let them be corrected. Hoping that ambiguities are are not corrected so that they can be used to bolster a case is no better than outright deception.
The spread of evil is the symptom of a vacuum. Whenever evil wins, it is only by default: by the moral failure of those who evade the fact that there can be no compromise on basic principles. _ Ayn Rand
Hammer2
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Gault wrote:

Truth is truth, let the cards fall where they may. If they are lies, expose them.

If they are mistakes, let them be corrected. Hoping that ambiguities are are not corrected so that they can be used to bolster a case is no better than outright deception.

Bingo! If you are honest, if you are brave, if you seek only the truth, then you have nothing to fear. Lies do not stand up to the truth.
NavyChief
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck Z Ombie AC2000 wrote:

If you want to see mistake in his awards, look at the B.S. recommendation. There you will see a Silver Star for 6 March 1969. Huh? What did he do then? Look at the 2nd and 3rd Purple Heart Citations. Oops, the dates are screwed up. His whole record is screwed up - he obviously didn't look at his record or he doesn't have a clue.

- instigator
Polaris
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone, the fact that the Navy is letting this get out in public tells me right now that the JAG thinks it is much, much more serious than a simple "clerical" error. JAG doesn't waste it's time on investigations...let alone publically admit to them....and especially not in highly political cases unless they think there is something there.

This isn't proof, but it sure doesn't look very good for Kerry.

All just IMNSHO.

Truth is Beauty
NavyChief
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize if you've already seen this but here is the actual letter that an investigation is going to happen.

INSPECTOR GENERAL
Department of Defense
400 Army Navy Drive
Arlington, Virginia 22202-4704

SEP 1 2004

Mr. Thomas Fitton
President, Judicial Watch
blah blah blah

Dear Mr. Fitton:

This is in response to your August 18, 2004, letter to this office, the Chief of Navy Operaions, the Naval Inspector General, and the Navy Department Board of Decorations and Medals, submitting a "formal complaint and request for investigation, determination and final disposition of awards granted to Lieutenant (junior grade) John Forbes Kerry, U.S. Naval Reserve."

Your letter "submits this formal complaint and request for investigation to the Navy Department Board of Decorations and Medals via the Chief of Naval Operations for a determination and final disposition of awards granted to Lieutenant (jg) John Forbes Kerry, USNR."

Concerning your allegations of violations of the Uniform Code of Military Justice, we have a responsibility under Section 8(d) of the Inspector General Act of 1978, as amended, to "report suspected or alleged violations of chapter 47 of Title 10, United States Code (Uniform Code of Military justice), to the Secretary of the Military Department concerned or to the Secretary of Defense." We have informed the Secretary of the Navy of the allegations.

Should you have any questions regarding this matter, please contact me at xxxxxxxxxx

Sincerely,

John R. Crane
Assistant Inspector General
Communications and Congressional Liaison

Sorry about the spelling - I was trying to type this as fast as possible. I couldn't figure out how to cut and paste from Adobe.

- instigator
cipher
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone needs to get back to Tom Lipscomb and get him to straighten his ducks up so they are in a nice straight row.

Admiral Boorda did NOT have a Bronze Star, either with or without a Combat V. He did wear Combat V devices on two other lesser awards, however: The Navy Commendation Medal and the Navy Acheivement Medal. Although the SecNav said officially that he rated them, Admiral Boorda's record has never been corrected to include them that I am aware of.

Source:

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/borda.htm

And he's STILL got the VSM and campaigns stars wrong. Kerry rates the VSM and FOUR bronze stars. My analysis and sources are here:

http://www2.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=45017#45017
Defense contractor for US Navy, SSPO, SP-20, SP-24, OP-12 84-92
cipher
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ONLY way that Kerry's records can be corrected is for him to request the Board of Corrections of the Naval Records to review the awards.

That is the ONLY way. There is NO other way.

And if they review the records, then they are going to be asking some pretty serious questions about those "supplimental" citations (all of which are questionable -- if not totally unauthorized.)

It is significant to note that not even the Secretary of the Navy is authorized to amend records.

Oh, there is ONE other way. A Presidentail pardon.

If I were Kerry, I'd not hold my breathe waiting on the latter option.
Defense contractor for US Navy, SSPO, SP-20, SP-24, OP-12 84-92
FreeFall
LCDR

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this from Judicial Watch, I am on their e-mail list. It looks real to me:

For Immediate Release
Sep 2, 2004 Contact: Press Office
202-646-5172

PENTAGON INSPECTOR GENERAL CONTACTS SECRETARY OF THE NAVY ABOUT KERRY AWARDS

Reacts to Investigation Request by Judicial Watch

(Washington, DC) Judicial Watch, the public interest group that investigates and prosecutes government corruption and abuse, announced today that the Inspector General (“IG”) of the Department of Defense has informed the Secretary of the Navy of Judicial Watch’s “formal complaint and request for investigation, determination and final disposition of the awards granted to Lieutenant (junior grade) John Forbes Kerry, U.S. Naval Reserve.”

The Defense Department IG cited Section 8(d) of the Inspector General Act of 1978, which states: “. . . the IG of the Department of Defense shall expeditiously report suspected or alleged violations of chapter 47 of title 10, United States Code (Uniform Code of Military Justice), to the Secretary of the military department concerned or the Secretary of Defense.”

On August 18, 2004, Judicial Watch filed a complaint and request for investigation and final disposition of awards granted to Kerry with the Inspectors General of the Department of Defense and the Department of the Navy, as well as the Chief of Naval Operations and the Navy’s Board of Decorations and Medals. See the complaint and the Department of Defense IG letter by clicking here.

On Tuesday, August 31, 2004, Judicial Watch called upon Senator Kerry to remove the Silver Star citation from his political campaign Internet site pending a review of the granting of the award by the U.S. Navy. Senator Kerry’s political Internet site displays a document listing a “Silver Star with Combat ‘V.’” The Combat “V” device is never awarded with the nation’s third highest award for heroism. A U.S. Navy spokesperson has reportedly stated: “The Navy has never issued a ‘Combat V’ to anyone for a Silver Star.” Additionally, former Navy Secretary John Lehman was quoted with respect to the Silver Star citation as saying: “It is a total mystery to me. I never saw it. I never signed it. I never approved it. And the additional language it contains was not written by me.”

“We hope this is the beginning of an actual investigation of the legitimacy of Senator Kerry’s awards by the Navy and the Pentagon,” stated Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton.

© Copyright 1997-2004, Judicial Watch, Inc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: