SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TANG Memo on Bush
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone with 'credibility' needs to 'discover' this, and get on board. Someone like that crime writer Patricia Cornwell that was a former coroner (or close?) that reinvestigated Jack the Ripper. Idea
Interested
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's some more things that just rub me wrong in the 04 May 1972 memo...

the address at the top:
P.O. Box 34567? since when do military units use PO boxes as their address in their letterhead?

would "no later than (NLT)" be spelled out this way? from the orders I've seen I can't recall if it was done or expected to be understood.

as noted before the "th" is superscript and smaller font

plus wouldn't the Lt Col have signed as "commanding"? not as "commander"? God rest his soul.

Besides this is an order, not a memo....but it look nothing like any set of orders I have ever had the opportunity to see...there should be a corresponding order to go with this right?

just curious - I read too many books perhaps...

proud USAR spouse since 2000
You GottaBeKidding
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cornwell lost credibility with me when she did her special on the Baton Rouge serial killer. She told any number of lies and tall tales.
stylin19
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Help me out.
Weren't these memos\documents part of a recent release by the Feds ?
If so, wouldn't they be the ones who did any forgeries ?
If not, couldn't the Feds verify the correctness of the documents ?

am I missing something here ?
BC
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOLY crud!! You guys are great!

This was nice to wake up to and drink coffee with. Very Happy
fr11
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a little more info on the superscripted "th" in the second paragraph of the May 4 memo.

If you have Word, try this.

1. Type in 111th all as one word. Word will automatically superscript the "th".

2. Type in 111, hit the spacebar, then type "th". Now put the cursor behind the "t" and hit the backspace bar. You'll see that the 111th appears without a superscripted "th".

Obviously, whoever created this fraudulent memo was using the second option to make the memo seem more authentic. They made a major mistake by forgetting to do this in the second paragraph of the May 4 memo. OOPS!
OsanFAC
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:57 pm    Post subject: unit designation Reply with quote

Another aspect to look into. Every unit I have ever been assigned to had IT'S OWN stationary letterhead. All official letters were written on unit stationary, especially if its a direct order. Who has the admin support to write the unit designator on every official letter? WTFO?

Air Force
Active Duty 1976-1988
Reserves 1988- present

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You GottaBeKidding wrote:
Cornwell lost credibility with me when she did her special on the Baton Rouge serial killer. She told any number of lies and tall tales.

Shoot. Well someone like that that the media would pay attention to
Interested
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plus like I said above - what ANG unit uses a PO box for it's address when sending memos from the commanding officer?

plus po box 34567?

only slightly better than making up 12345
JimRobson
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of the letterhead, I never had any good luck in 1972 trying to center type that well. Whoever did those is a really good typist. (OR HAD A FU**ING WORD PROCESSOR)

http://www.thewebplace.com/
June
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: IBM executive typewriter Reply with quote

I'm new here so please forgive this being my first post. I've been reading you all for a while and love all you guys and gals! You have restored my faith in America and it perks me up every day to come here and read what you have to say.

But... back in 1966 I filled in as a temp one summer for a CEO of a medium-sized international corporation (he had two other full-time secretaries) and I had to do all his correspondence on an IBM executive typewriter. It had proportional fonts and his letters looked very like these memos. It was a bear to use and I had to write down how many spaces each letter required in order to fit in corrections, etc. I don't remember if it had the superscript 'th'.
Interested
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's good to know June - thanks...

but I'm still skeptical as the line breaks and spacing match up exactly with the same thing typed up today on MSword with the standard settings...
gulf1609
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please compare memos. Look at the headings. I don't know how to copy on to this site but here is the link to a "real" document. Someone who can please post both (the CBS docs) and this one--

http://users.cis.net/coldfeet/doc17.gif

Also, all of these docs have some sort of tracking info on the top. Dated about the time the docs were requested, I am guessing.
JCJR
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree this sounds likely a fraud document.

However, one correction on daisywheel/ball printers-- some word processors of the late 70's COULD proportional print on this equipment. It was accomplished by the computer program/dedicated WP micro-controlling the print head location before printing each character. I wrote such printer drivers in the early 80's.

Dunno if such equipment was available/in common use, in early 70's. It is doubtful.

For one thing, any program which used print head micro-spacing control, had drastically reduced output speed, and those kind of printers were 'slow as heck' even in normal line print mode.

Sorry for the redundant static, but just wanted to point out that it is VERY REMOTELY possible that an early-70's device could have proportionally spaced.

The superscript, however, is even more unlikely in that time frame.
rua
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interested wrote:
plus like I said above - what ANG unit uses a PO box for it's address when sending memos from the commanding officer?

plus po box 34567?

only slightly better than making up 12345

Someone could call the post office just to see if the number even exists, that would probably debunk it automatically. They won't tell you whose name it is under, but they will confirm its 'existence''

Edited: DOH! Just noticed, so this would be an inner office type memo? In which case, I seriously doubt there would be a PO address at all, but then I'm not a military office person, just a high school office clerk from years ago. Smile but even then we used school letterhead which probably did have the school office address on it

Last edited by rua on Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 5 of 67

Jump to: