SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dan Rather is going for it...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobD
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exellent point mjanay
kmmpatriot
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me that the original of that document COULD be viewed by an expert if that became necessary if CBS uses it as their "proof" that the 4 "new" memos are legit.

Assume for a second that the superscript on the 111th (once in that doc) is truly a superscripted "th" - do we know by whom and at what location that line of info was typed? Continuing with that assumption, it seems to me that the fact that it was available "somewhere" doesn't necessarily mean that Killian had it for typing up his personal memos. I think they are greasping at straws.

~Kylie
RobD
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. What Dan is going to say is that X model typwriter built in 68 can do a superscript th and here is a doc that has a sup th so there, the docs are lagit. Ta Da.
Debs
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, this "superscript" does not even vaguely look like the superscript on the memos as it does not really appear to be raised - just a bit smaller print - as the ones in the memos are much higher than the original print and a lot smaller print. I could be wrong, but, it seems I read somewhere yesterday that at that time, there might have been a superscript available but that it was not with a proportional font. Just me, but I really don't see that this "superscript" has anything to do with the fake documents and if this is the best they can come up with to authenticate the memos, they are in deep kimchi - just my two cents.

Debbie
vietnamvet173
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobD wrote:
I agree. What Dan is going to say is that X model typwriter built in 68 can do a superscript th and here is a doc that has a sup th so there, the docs are lagit. Ta Da.

You are most likely right. But, once Rather has named the machine it has to be able to reproduce the memo exactly. Also, he has to be able to prove that the National Gaurd at that time had those machines. If either statement can be proved false he is in the middle of a cover up.
RobD
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You are most likely right. But, once Rather has named the machine it has to be able to reproduce the memo exactly. Also, he has to be able to prove that the National Gaurd at that time had those machines. If either statement can be proved false he is in the middle of a cover up.

I agree, there are putting up smoke to try to retire from the battle with only the damage done so far.
lrb111
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Rather says "unimpeachable sources", i say he's covering someone.

Dan is a big fund raiser for the DNC in Austin, Tx. So, is his daughter. So, is Ben Barnes. Hodges is there also.

I honeestly beleive his daughter handed these memos off to MS. Mapes in Dallas.. If so, Rather will go to his grave protecting her.
azpatriot
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Face it he's aready in a world of S**t now he's just going to try and cramit down our throats!

I keep getting this vision of that old black & white frankestine movie with all the peseants chasing the monster down with picthforks shovels and torches Twisted Evil
Nathanyl
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at it under photoshop. I'm not sure what that is. It kind of looks like a superscript but it's not the same font as is used in the other memos. I'd love to see the orginals of that. I'm wondering if someone forgot to put st in and went back and wrote it in.
You GottaBeKidding
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TANG had a typewriter that could do superscripts.

Here's a link to the document:

http://users.cis.net/coldfeet/doc14.gif

Note that it is standard typewriter print, though, not proportional. It just occured to me that the superscript "th" is a single character on the typewriter. I think we all knew it would be created by typing one key, but the other half of it is that it is the same width as any of the other normal-sized characters.
Nathanyl
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Selectric II had a lever (above the right platen knob) that would allow the platen to be turned freely but return to the same vertical line (for inserting such symbols as subscripts and superscripts), whereas the Selectric I did not.

If anyone has one of these, try typing 111th in 12 font then change it to 10, roll down around half a line and see what it looks like.
truthhunter
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:44 pm    Post subject: Rather MUST stick to his guns! Reply with quote

Rather has no choice by to stay with the story. If he insists the documents are authentic, he will not have to reveal his SOURCE for the documents claiming journalistic privilage of protecting sources and methods.

If he admits the docs are fake, then he has no standing to protect his source. The more CBS stands by this story, the more likely it is that the source of these docs is the DNC / Kerry campaign...in my opinion. He has to be protecting something "important" in his mind (DNC / Kerry), and the candidacy of Kerry would certainly be something worth going to the mat over. In his liberal mindset, the end justifies the means.....he's defending the future of the world from tyrannical leadership of GWB.
Nathanyl
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You GottaBeKidding wrote:
The TANG had a typewriter that could do superscripts.

Here's a link to the document:

http://users.cis.net/coldfeet/doc14.gif

Note that it is standard typewriter print, though, not proportional. It just occured to me that the superscript "th" is a single character on the typewriter. I think we all knew it would be created by typing one key, but the other half of it is that it is the same width as any of the other normal-sized characters.

That looks to me like a new document
ccr
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather's report on the documents tonight was even more biased than the orginal 60 minutes report.

They only reported one side. It was a total biased white wash.

http://www.learnthat.com/quiz/
Nathanyl
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather looked like he was under a bit of stress. He knows it's false but you right, he can't say so, to much at stake.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: