SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TANG Memo on Bush
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hondo
LCDR

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sonar5 quoted above another post which stated:

Quote:
35. Why were these exact same documents available for sale on the Internet as early as January 2004? Is this where CBS obtained their copies?

HOLY $#1T!!!!!!!

Can anyone verify this (that the docs were available for sale in Jan)??????? I simply can't believe that these, if legit, would have stayed buried that long!

Last edited by Hondo on Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
air_vet
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hondo wrote:
The abbreviation "1st Lt", "Lt Col", and "Lt Colonel" all appear on authentic ANG military documents from the period - specifically, those previously released by the Bush campaign relating to his discharge. Apparently (1) rank abbreviations changed in the USAF in the following decade, and (2) the ANG in those days allowed some variation in its use of rank abbreviations, at least for the rank of Lieutenant Colonel.

I went back and looked at some of my paperwork from the '64-'65 time period and some use 2nd Lt while others use 2LT
You GottaBeKidding
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr_Mechanical:

You could boldface on a typewriter. You just typed over the existing type.

However, since this does not have a date on it, it's possible that it was created several years later with a word processing program (a primitive one) and printed on a daisy wheel printer. Those would microspace over just a hair to print the second copy of each letter.

Since it's just a military biography (as opposed to an official military document) it's irrelevant when and how it was created.
air_vet
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You GottaBeKidding wrote:
Clarification on the superscript. TexANG appears to have had a typewriter that could do superscripts. There's a form with a superscript and Bush's military history (which may or may not have been typed at TexANG, but let's assume that it is). Anyway, some of Bush's official documents were typed on a typewriter with superscript capability.

Yes, but the "FOIL" document I saw summarizes Bush's service through November 1974. It's undated, but I suspect it was typed much later (still with a mono-space typewriter).

Last edited by air_vet on Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
You GottaBeKidding
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To everyone who's trying to debunk the military biography....

There's no way we can prove when it was typed. The safest thing to do is to assume that it was typed in the mid 70's. Given that there's a personnel form with what appears to be the same superscript, I'm willing to concede that the TexANG had a typewriter that could do superscripts.

However, the typewriter superscripts on those documents are not the same as the ones on the CBS document.
tg-l
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-------------

Return address: The one doc I see with a return address is in ALL CAPS (which I have read is the correct format for anything not on letterhead). It's DEPARTMENT OF THE AIR FORCE / 147TH FIGHTER INTERCEPTOR GROUP/ ELLINGTON AIR FORCE BASE, TEXAS 77030

--------------

Why is the address and zip different?
P O Box 34567
Houston, Texas 77034
You GottaBeKidding
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tg-1,

That's a good question. This is from the 111th Fighter Interceptor Squadron, but why the rest of the address wouldn't be the same, I don't know. Someone with military experience (preferably at that base) will have to chime in on it.
air_vet
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tg-l wrote:
Why is the address and zip different?
P O Box 34567
Houston, Texas 77034

It's not impossible that the unit had a PO Box that somebody picked up the mail from daily rather than having the Post Office deliver the mail to the base.....
1AD
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:37 pm    Post subject: Dan the "Man" Reply with quote

Dan set up straw men and then knocked them down. He ignored facts not in his favor and tried to high-light those in his favor i.e., his experts statements. A lawyers trick. Same thing they tried to do with Kerry's exploits.

Saw that document. Other posts have pointed out that it is in response to a FOIA request. I concur. I used to handle FOIA requests and that is what you would type up if you were getting a lot of requests and wanted to hand out basic information. No date. When was it typed? Any other documents with the superscript. Second post would not open.

Again, Dan ignored facts unfavorable to his "expose."
mr_mechanical
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You GottaBeKidding wrote:
To everyone who's trying to debunk the military biography....

There's no way we can prove when it was typed. The safest thing to do is to assume that it was typed in the mid 70's. Given that there's a personnel form with what appears to be the same superscript, I'm willing to concede that the TexANG had a typewriter that could do superscripts.

However, the typewriter superscripts on those documents are not the same as the ones on the CBS document.

Let's don't concede on the equipment issue so fast.

I just typed portion of the BIO in WORD 2003 using Courier and then did an overlay - guess what? Exact match. Line and character spacing is the same.

We need to get other contemporaneous documents (non Bush) produced at the TexAng to compare types, fonts, styles, super scripts, kerning, proportional type, etc. Bet if we can get those docs you’ll see a huge difference.

A $20,000 typesetting machine of the time is like spending $ 100K today. Not a chance that such a machine was used.
You GottaBeKidding
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1AD:

Can't find the doc right off, but look here:

http://beldar.blogs.com/beldarblog/2004/09/rasupthsuper_to.html

Check the second line of the dated entry area and you'll see something that appears to be a superscript.
You GottaBeKidding
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr_Mechanical

I'd expect a document typed in Courier 12 to match. It's typewriter print!

There are so many nails in this coffin. Don't try to make one that we can't prove and they may be right on.
Mona
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instapundit has a hilarious link; Dan Rather predicted his future: http://en.thinkexist.com/quotation/To_err_is_human_but_to_really_foul_up_requires_a/155465.html
jimlarsen
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The document Rather showed with a superscipt had, as others have mentioned, a completely different looking superscript. The letters were larger and not raised as high. It would be nice to find this exact document. We also need to pressure CBS to release the originals, which they seemed to say they had in their possesion.
You GottaBeKidding
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that Rather was just passing along something he heard. I've heard that phrase for years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 43 of 67

Jump to: