SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kerry was the Boston Strangler
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikest wrote:
Listen you stupid cow. You obviously have no grasp of facts and seem to love misquoting, lying and making wild accusations. If I were on your side I would be embarrassed. You may be the most simplistic person I have debated.

I'm proud of what my friend and his fellow soldiers are doing over ther. Thankfully he is Navy so I know they are not all friggin morons like you. I've sent him care packages to share with his patients. If he read your statements, he would be just as disgusted by you as I am.

Your type is everything that is wrong with this country. You don't have a f*ing clue about me yet you make statements like this. Please stay i this country because I can't stand the thought of others thinking you represent my country.

Go to hell, although you may be too stupid to find it.

Now, don't go getting all rational and sane on me, now, okay?

You're real cute just the way you are.
sparky
Former Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, NNN, but its unproductive and pointless to bring Arabs into the OK City bombings unless you're just out to smear them as a people. They had nothing to do with that atrocity and those who investigated on those grounds almost let McVeigh get away.

Why bring it up?

From Mirriam Webster:
Evidence:
An outward sign : INDICATION b : something that furnishes proof : TESTIMONY; specifically : something legally submitted to a tribunal to ascertain the truth of a matter

The primary definitions, the first two, indicate "proof" of some kind. The third includes the caveat that it help establish truth. Suggesting that Arabs were behind the blast did the opposite: it detracted from the establishment of truth.
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=evidence
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparky wrote:
In reference to neocons never liking Saddam, Carpo asked:

Quote:
Does this mean you did?

Never. In fact, when the US was funding Saddam's army as it gassed the Kurds, I was speaking out against him. But he was Uncle Sam's best ally in the region at that time.

And unlike Rummy, the neocons have always detested Saddam.

Regarding the laughable and bogus claim by Capro:

Quote:
I have no documentation but have heard liberal columnists and talking heads talk about the emails they get suggesting the above. Even they are shocked by it.

Bwaahahaha! Man, you really do think everyone else is so frickin' stupid!

I always get a kick out of it when rightwingers come up with this "I can't provide documentation but rumour is...." or "I shouldn't reveal this, but my sources tell me..." Give it a rest, ok? You're insulting us.

Quote:
"Some of them are also hoping for massive American casualties in Iraq. "

Absolutely not. Nope. I'm greatly worried about casualties and a general bloodbath. Very worried and so is everyone else criticizing this war. Nobody outside mental hospitals is hoping for heavy American casualties. This accusation is cheap...really cheap.

Greenhate said:
Quote:
And the fact that ETA assisted Al Queda in the attack is ignored.

Because it's complete and utter hogwash for which you won't be able to provide a credible link (Freeper-land doesn't count)

NNN said:
Quote:
I haven't ever said that the evidence held up or that it was credible

Then it wasn't "evidence" and shouldn't have been called that. You should have said that investigators believed "some crap about Arabs" rather than "evidence."

Frankly, I haven't heard that anyone claimed to have anything beyond speculation that Arabs were behind the OK City blast. Until now. NNN, were you just trying to cast doubt on McVeigh's guilty verdict and put it back on Arabs? Man, you folks are SLICK! Anything to stir up the masses for the total war you hunger for.

Man! Sparky.

The trouble with you using so many quotes is it takes so much time to go back and be sure you haven't change any of them.
sparky
Former Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha!
Greenhat
LCDR

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparky wrote:
"Funding Saddam's Army, huh? Exactly how?"

Through direct aid to Iraq.

Providing intell isn't funding an Army. Dang but you lie on a regular basis, don't you?
sparky
Former Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I offered more than that. I can't believe you never read the conservative William Saffire's reporting on IraqGate.

Anyway, here's that link again for you for the Columbia Journalism Review:
http://www.cjr.org/archives.asp?url=/93/2/iraqgate.asp

And here's an article that appeared in a very reputable newspaper:

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution (Atlanta, GA), April 20, 2003 pA6

WAR IN THE GULF: OVERSEAS FINANCE: ATLANTA BRANCH BANK LOANED SADDAM BILLIONS. (News) Cameron Mcwhirter.

Byline: CAMERON MCWHIRTER; Staff

Saddam Hussein's war machine was bolstered by a small branch bank in Atlanta that loaned him billions of dollars for supplies and weapons before the first Persian Gulf War.

In 1989, the Atlanta branch of the Italian government bank Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, or BNL, was raided by federal officers as part of an investigation of alleged kickbacks and money laundering. The investigation focused on allegations of undeclared loans to Iraqi companies.

The day after the Persian Gulf War ended in 1991, the U.S. Justice Department indicted the BNL Atlanta branch manager, Christopher Drogoul, on charges of laundering money illegally to help supply and arm Iraq.

Peter Mantius, a former reporter at The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, covered the case and eventually wrote a book about the scandal called "Shell Game: A True Story of Banking, Spies, Lies, Politics --- and the Arming of Saddam Hussein."

In the book, Mantius cited documents showing the bank made available $4.5 billion in credits to finance Iraq's imports of food, machinery, chemicals and weapons in the 1980s. Many of the loans were guaranteed by the U.S. Agricultural Department. The money was channeled through various Iraqi-controlled banks and companies.

Mantius published U.S. intelligence documents stating that other loans by BNL --- some used to build weapons plants --- were sanctioned by the Central Intelligence Agency and other branches of the U.S. government.

Drogoul was convicted in 1993 on money laundering charges and sentenced to 37 months in prison. He died in 1999.

The scandal, labeled "Iraqgate" by the press, generated enough concern for President Clinton to launch an investigation into whether his predecessor, George Bush, had covered up government involvement in the loans. In 1995, Clinton's task force reported it had found no evidence that Bush and his top officials had sanctioned the loans. But the federal judge who presided over the BNL case, U.S. District Judge Marvin Shoob, said he continued to believe government agencies knew what was going on.

U.S.-based banks and other American companies' involvement with Saddam didn't end with the Persian Gulf War.

Treasury records examined this month by Reuters found U.S. companies have paid more than $700,000 in fines to the department for violating sanctions against Iraq. As recently as April 4, California-based oil company ChevronTexaco Corp. paid fines for violating the embargo against trade with Iraq in 2000. Other violators who paid fines include Chase Manhattan Bank and Tyson Foods.

------------ End article ----

Taxpayers footed $2 billion in defaulted loans. Next time you see those pictures of Rummy meeting with Saddam back in the 80's, think of that.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparky wrote:
I'm sorry, NNN, but its unproductive and pointless to bring Arabs into the OK City bombings unless you're just out to smear them as a people. They had nothing to do with that atrocity and those who investigated on those grounds almost let McVeigh get away.

Why bring it up?

So as to point out to you that in the immediate aftermath of such a disaster, rumors are rife and facts are unclear.

As you well know.

As I have already stated for you, McVeigh was tried and convicted. He's dead.

That does not negate the fact that in the immediate aftermath of OKC, just as with the WTC Attack #1, there was evidence and speculation that Islamic fundamentalism was indeed a possible source.

sparky wrote:

From Mirriam Webster:
Evidence:
An outward sign : INDICATION b : something that furnishes proof : TESTIMONY; specifically : something legally submitted to a tribunal to ascertain the truth of a matter

Battle of the online dictionary's? Fine. Wink

ev·i·dence ( P ) Pronunciation Key (v-dns)
n.
A thing or things helpful in forming a conclusion or judgment: The broken window was evidence that a burglary had taken place. Scientists weigh the evidence for and against a hypothesis.

Something indicative; an outward sign: evidence of grief on a mourner's face.

Law. The documentary or oral statements and the material objects admissible as testimony in a court of law.
Greenhat
LCDR

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparky wrote:

In 1989, the Atlanta branch of the Italian government bank Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, or BNL, was raided by federal officers as part of an investigation of alleged kickbacks and money laundering. The investigation focused on allegations of undeclared loans to Iraqi companies.

A bank that provides money illegally to someone and that is prosecuted for it hardly qualifies as government support. You're just busy spinning away, aren't you?

Something you might think about.

The weapons of Iraq's Army were almost entirely of Soviet design. Iraq was a Soviet client state. They received all the weapons that they wanted from the Soviet Union all through the war with Iran (just like every other Soviet client state). How do you think they ended up with T-72s?
sparky
Former Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spinning? Don't I wish! The US taxpayers had to recoup $2 billion of that money sent to Saddam that were guaranteed by Bush's Ag Department. I'd call that "support." Someone should have been horse whipped with a real horse.

NNN, what dictionary provided your definition? I found a legal dictionary definition:

Evidence
Proof of fact(s) presented at a trial. The best and most common method is by oral testimony; where you have an eye-witness swear to tell the truth and to then relate to the court (or jury) their experience. Evidence is essential in convincing the judge or jury of your facts as the judge (or jury) is expected to start off with a blank slate; no preconceived idea or knowledge of the facts. So it is up to the opposing parties to prove (by providing evidence), to the satisfaction of the court (or jury), the facts needed to support their case. Besides oral testimony, an object can be deposited with the court (eg. a signed contract). This is sometimes called "real evidence." In other rarer cases, evidence can be circumstantial.

http://www.duhaime.org/dictionary/dict-e.htm#E

Another definition (partial quote):

Evidence must survive objections of opposing attorneys that it is irrelevant, immaterial or violates rules against "hearsay" (statements by a party not in court), and/or other technicalities.

http://dictionary.law.com/

The "evidence" that Arabs were involved in the OK City bombings wasn't "evidence" at all.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparky wrote:
NNN, what dictionary provided your definition? I found a legal dictionary definition:

Well, sparky, as someone has pointed out earlier, we are not in a court of law.

We are not bound by rules of due process, but merely by the conventionally accepted definitions of words, and therefore a legal dictionary is not only unnecessary, it's evasion on your part.

Quote:
The "evidence" that Arabs were involved in the OK City bombings wasn't "evidence" at all.

The fact that we've executed one of those responsible for the OKC bombings has never been disputed by me.

The fact that Islamic fundamentalists do not appear to have been involved in that bombing has never been disputed by me.

But the "evidence" collected by the FBI at the scene was clearly handled as "evidence," no matter who it eventually pointed to as the guilty party/parties.

It wasn't "proof" until it had all been analyzed, interpreted, presented to the jury and judged as to its merits.

Evidence: "Something indicative; an outward sign"

From www.dictionary.com
Greenhat
LCDR

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparky wrote:
Spinning? Don't I wish! The US taxpayers had to recoup $2 billion of that money sent to Saddam that were guaranteed by Bush's Ag Department. I'd call that "support." Someone should have been horse whipped with a real horse.

First, you said "funded Saddam's Army". C'mon, prove your claim that this money went to Saddam's Army. Not to his palaces, not to supporting terrorism, but to his Army.

Oh, and I guess you would like the FDIC to eliminate their protections. After all, we taxpayers pay for it.
sparky
Former Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Columbia Journalism link I posted before, Carpo:

Much of what Saddam received from the West was not arms per se, but so-called dual-use technology -- ultra sophisticated computers, armored ambulances, helicopters, chemicals, and the like, with potential civilian uses as well as military applications. We've learned by now that a vast network of companies, based in the U.S. and abroad, eagerly fed the Iraqi war machine right up until August 1990, when Saddam invaded Kuwait.

Eventually, it would turn out that elements of the U.S. government almost certainly knew that Drogoul was funneling U.S.-backed loans -- intended for the purchase of agricultural products, machinery, trucks, and other U.S. goods -- into dual-use technology and outright military technology. And that the British government was fully aware of the operations of Matrix Churchill, a British firm with an Ohio branch, which was not only at the center of the Iraqi procurement network but was also funded by BNL Atlanta. (Precision equipment supplied by Matrix Churchill was reportedly a target this January when the Western allies renewed their attack on Iraq).

Nightline, which had been looking at Iraqgate for some time, hooked up with the Financial Times in an unusual and productive arrangement. On May 2, 1991, the team reported the secret minutes of the President's National Advisory Council, at which, despite earlier reports of abuses, an undersecretary of state declared that terminating Iraqi loans would be "contrary to the president's intentions."

Nightline/Financial Times also cited intelligence reports that Iraq was using U.S. government farm credits to procure military technology. On July 3, 1991, the Financial Times reported that a Florida company run by an Iraqi national had produced cyanide -- some of which went to Iraq for use in chemical weapons -- and had shipped it via a CIA contractor.

"Classified documents obtained by the Times show . . . a long-secret pattern of personal efforts by Bush -- both as President and as Vice-President -- to support and placate the Iraqi dictator," the paper reported. It cited a top-secret National Security decision directive signed by President Bush in 1989, ordering closer ties with Baghdad and paving the way for $ 1 billion in new aid. Although the directive had been briefly described in other publications, the Times put it in context. Assistance from Washington was critical for Iraq, Frantz and Waas pointed out, since international bankers had cut off virtually all loans to Baghdad because Iraq was falling behind on repayments -- precisely because it was busily pouring millions into arms purchases.

And it emphasized the striking fact -- buried deep in a 1991 Washington Press piece -- that Secretary of State James Baker, after meeting with Iraqi Foreign Minister Tariq Aziz in October 1989, intervened personally to support U.S. government loan guarantees to Iraq.

There's more here from that link:
http://archives.cjr.org/year/93/2/iraqgate.asp

This embarassment just never got much traction. Like it or not, the US funded Saddam's war machine.
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="sparky"]From the Columbia Journalism link I posted before, Carpo:
quote]

I must be tip-toeing around in your head for you to address this to me.

I'm not a part of this argument yet.
Greenhat
LCDR

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparky wrote:

This embarassment just never got much traction. Like it or not, the US funded Saddam's war machine.

LMAO

You really are trying to spin your way out of this one, aren't you?

Saddam Hussein had an Army that was built on the Soviet model. Soviet tanks. Soviet weapons. Soviet just about everything (Where do you think Scuds come from?). And until shortly before the fall of the Soviet Union, he could get just about anything he wanted (short of nukes) from the Soviets... by asking. Now, when you build an army, you want to have some consistency, some standardization. That is because of a thing called logistics.
So, your article, which speculates a lot, is reason to ignore Occum's Razor?

Still LMAO
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: