SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Article: To Saddam's prisoners, US abuse seems 'a joke'
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morto
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carpro wrote:
Just a question for anyone who cares to answer.

Is there a country that has taken American POWs in the last 60 years that abided by the Geneva Convention while holding our people?

Actually, the German Wermacht was pretty decent, however if you fell into the hands of the SS or SD you might as well have been on the Bataan Death March. At least that's what my reading tells me. Anyone else have an opinion?
Marine4life
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know an actual POW personally, I do and his account of the Geneva Convention protecting him is laughable. If you think Iraq has wined and dined our troops that are POW's then you are dumber than I first thought. I personally know that I would abide by my orders, Name, Rank, SSN then take my torture like a man. I beleive in my stance on the take no prisoners issue, dead enemies don't come back another day to kill you, callused maybe. Deal with it I don't think I am the only one with that stance. Just like gun control laws, they are only for the lawabiding. Listen to John McCains account of the Geneva Convention.
Jeremy Eaton
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marine4life wrote:
Does anyone know an actual POW personally, I do and his account of the Geneva Convention protecting him is laughable. If you think Iraq has wined and dined our troops that are POW's then you are dumber than I first thought. I personally know that I would abide by my orders, Name, Rank, SSN then take my torture like a man. I beleive in my stance on the take no prisoners issue, dead enemies don't come back another day to kill you, callused maybe. Deal with it I don't think I am the only one with that stance. Just like gun control laws, they are only for the lawabiding. Listen to John McCains account of the Geneva Convention.

I am more interested in McCains account of how Karl Rove slimed him in order to give Bush the nomination. Last time I heard McCain speak was on http://www.airamericaradio.com

From Democracy now transcript:

AMY GOODMAN: Very briefly, what happened to John McCain when he was running against Bush for president?

AMBASSADOR WILSON: Well, in South Carolina after the Bush machine was defeated in New Hampshire, they attacked to the right and they ran what they call a push-pull campaign in South Carolina where they accuse McCain's wife, John McCain's wife, Cindy, of being a drug addict and criminal. She had an addiction. She had been addicted to pain pills when she had severe back problems, and that had changed her behavior. But it was a real illness problem. This is not -- this is not doing this for laughs. Then, of course, they went after-- John McCain has an adopted child who is southeast Asian, so, there was the whole race card played there. John McCain is the father of an un-white child.

You can hear the whole interview here:
http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=04/05/14/143211&mode=thread&tid=25

I'm sure a lot of people don't know about this.
sparky
Former Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do. I just LOVE Amy Goodman. If only all journalists had her integrity and bravery. I remember her broadcast from Indonesia when thugs sponsored by our ally Suharto mowed down 250+ peaceful protesters with US-supplied M-16's.

I wonder if Indonesian fascists also deny the legitimacy of such atrocities like their U.S. counterparts. I can imagine their attempts to spin such a massacre.
Marine4life
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy, I am not a big McCain supporter. I just have a lot of respect for what he went through. Like Capt. John Denton one of the first POW's off of the plane in Hawaii. My sister had his bracelet and she called the number on T.V.. It took about 3 hours but she talked to his wife and eventually him. She sent him the bracelet. My other sister wasn't so lucky her soldier hasn't come home. Semper Fi.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! Ohmigod, now they're quoting "Err Amerika" ????

Truly LOL! Razz
ROTC DAD
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott,

I agree that we are not talking about the majority of the soldiers in Iraq when we are talking about abuse, but the same could have been stated of the German Army during WWII, to keep with the same analogy (though that is pushing the arguement a bit more than it should be).

Obviously, we are not as bad as Saddam. We are not mass murderers nor mass torturers. The problem, however, is that we have posited 27 different reasons for being in Iraq, the last of which was humanitarian. But the perception amongst the Iraqis is that that is just so much lip-service. And when we abuse them, which appears to be systemic within the military prison system set up there, we do nothing but prove them right, even if that perception is incomplete and inaccurate.

Greenhat,

you continue to agrue Rules of the Geneva Conventions and non-traditional combatants. As I have stated on at least 3 occassions, the International Red Cross has stated that they were told 70 to 90% of those detained had done nothing wrong! So your position about non-traditional combatants deals with 10 to 30% of this prison population. The possibility that innnocent people are being abused and tortured is extremely high. And again, the Rulse of the Geneva Conventions do not condone torture under any circumstances.

fortdixlover,

You continue to simply spout off without any basis in fact. Saddam was killing Kurds and Iraqis when he was considered one of our chief allies in the region, under a Republican President btw. We actually sold him many of the chemical agents he ended up using. There is more than enough blame to go around on this issue. And if you'll note, organizations such as Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch, and the International Red Cross (Lefty organizations all) were denouncing the abuses in Saddam's Iraq for years before we here in the States even bothered to think about them.
Greenhat
LCDR

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROTC DAD wrote:

Greenhat,

you continue to agrue Rules of the Geneva Conventions and non-traditional combatants. As I have stated on at least 3 occassions, the International Red Cross has stated that they were told 70 to 90% of those detained had done nothing wrong! So your position about non-traditional combatants deals with 10 to 30% of this prison population. The possibility that innnocent people are being abused and tortured is extremely high. And again, the Rulse of the Geneva Conventions do not condone torture under any circumstances.

ROTC Dad,

You fail to have any idea of what my argument is.

But you might consider a few things...

1. The behavior by those individuals that have damaged the image of the United States were all violations of the Uniform Code of Military Justice.

2. The International Red Cross doesn't seem to be willing to identify who is telling them this information. Unattributed claims aren't really worth much.

3. "Nonconventional" Combatants? They are called illegal combatants. Just so you know. Don't try to legitimize terrorists.
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Jeremy Eaton
I am more interested in McCains account of how Karl Rove slimed him in order to give Bush the nomination. Last time I heard McCain speak was on http://www.airamericaradio.com

Why don't you start another thread to deal with this topic. Seems a little out of place here.
ROTC DAD
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenhat,

You fail to make a case. You asked if I know what the Rules of the Geneva Conventions are. I know that at least one of them deals with troture of combatants. I also know that the IRC has no reason to lie about what they say they were told by US officers.

Your position seems to be that if they are illegal combatants, meaning by your definition terrorists, saboteurs, and such, we can do whatever we like to them. The problem here is twofold: 1) the IRC has stated that the majority are not combatants, legal, illegal, or otherwise; and 2) Who is the illegal combatant - we invaded their country. And let's not forget that we did not invade for humanitarian reasons as we say now. That was the last of the 27 reasons we finally came up with when all the others did not pan out.

And again, you appear to ignore the evidence which points to this abuse being systemic i.e. throughout this prison system we have set up.
sparky
Former Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenhat wrote:
Quote:
The International Red Cross doesn't seem to be willing to identify who is telling them this information. Unattributed claims aren't really worth much.

Not when it's an organization as credible as the Red Cross and it's confirmed by reports issued by US investigators and reported by reputable news sources.

From the New York Times:
WASHINGTON, May 29 — Hundreds of Iraqi prisoners were held in Abu Ghraib prison for prolonged periods despite a lack of evidence that they posed a security threat to American forces, according to an Army report completed last fall.
---- snip ----

General Ryder, the Army's provost marshal, reported that some Iraqis had been held for several months for nothing more than expressing "displeasure or ill will" toward the American occupying forces. The Nov. 5 report said the process for deciding which arrested Iraqis posed security risks justifying imprisonment, and for deciding when to release them, violated the Pentagon's own policies. It also said the conditions in which they were held sometimes violated the Geneva Conventions.

---- snip ----

In one incident described in detail by the senior Army officer, an aggressive roundup in September brought 57 Iraqis into custody. But a review by military intelligence officers at Abu Ghraib determined that only two had intelligence value and that the rest should be freed.

An American general at the headquarters in Baghdad overruled that decision, and dictated that all 57 Iraqis be kept in custody.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/30/international/middleeast/30ABUS.html

From the San Francisco Chronicle:

Report warned hundreds held in Abu Ghraib on no evidence
Top U.S. brass in Baghdad vetoed release

Washington -- Hundreds of Iraqi prisoners were held in Abu Ghraib prison for prolonged periods despite a lack of evidence that they posed a security threat to U.S. forces, according to an Army report completed last fall.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2004/05/30/MNGN76U7OC1.DTL

Here's something interesting I found from Army Maj. Gen. Antonio Taguba's report on Abu Ghraib

33. (S/NF) The various detention facilities operated by the 800th MP Brigade have routinely held persons brought to them by Other Government Agencies (OGAs) without accounting for them, knowing their identities, or even the reason for their detention. The Joint Interrogation and Debriefing Center (JIDC) at Abu Ghraib called these detainees “ghost detainees.” On at least one occasion, the 320th MP 27 Battalion at Abu Ghraib held a handful of “ghost detainees” (6-Cool for OGAs that they moved around within the facility to hide them from a visiting International
Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) survey team. This maneuver was deceptive, contrary to Army Doctrine, and in violation of international law. (ANNEX 53)

http://www.npr.org/iraq/2004/prison_abuse_report.pdf

They were shuffling around prisoners, probably the most seriously abused, so the ICRC wouldn't see them. This sounds like something Castro or Stalin would do.
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Red Cross is a great organization.

Does anyone here believe that prisoners won't lie to them about their treatment?

That's one of the reasons they don't publish their findings.
sparky
Former Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I posted, the Red Cross reached their conclusions after discussing the matter with US military officials there.

And their assertion was corroborated by our own Army investigation.
sparky
Former Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenhat
LCDR

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROTC DAD wrote:
Greenhat,

You fail to make a case. You asked if I know what the Rules of the Geneva Conventions are. I know that at least one of them deals with troture of combatants. I also know that the IRC has no reason to lie about what they say they were told by US officers.

Your position seems to be that if they are illegal combatants, meaning by your definition terrorists, saboteurs, and such, we can do whatever we like to them. The problem here is twofold: 1) the IRC has stated that the majority are not combatants, legal, illegal, or otherwise; and 2) Who is the illegal combatant - we invaded their country. And let's not forget that we did not invade for humanitarian reasons as we say now. That was the last of the 27 reasons we finally came up with when all the others did not pan out.

And again, you appear to ignore the evidence which points to this abuse being systemic i.e. throughout this prison system we have set up.

You just plain fail to get it.

It is immaterial if the people in the prison are terrorists or not. Because those that humiliated them, etc. are subject to the UCMJ and the acts people are concerned with are violations of the UCMJ. A much clearer standard to apply than the "maybe" standard of the Geneva Convention.

I am not defending them or the treatment. The culprits are criminals, and will be tried and sentenced as criminals.

However, if you wish to claim the Geneva Convention, you should clearly understand what it states. If the combatant power (in this case, the United States) decides that these people are illegal combatants, then they have no rights under international law. It is not the decision of the International Red Cross or anyone else. Whatever claims are made are immaterial.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: