SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TANG Memo on Bush
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flagreen
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a load of this from the Prowler;

Quote:
Washington Prowler

On Life Support
By The Prowler
Published 9/15/2004 12:09:08 PM

IT'S PERSONAL NOW

It is now open warfare within the halls of CBS News in New York, as the network's uberanchor, Dan Rather, attempts to salvage some modicum of respect in the wake of a growing forged documents scandal.

According to a CBS News producer operating out of the network's 57th Street facilities, Rather and his supporters now believe the controversy surrounding the four discredited Texas National Guard memos has been engineered by the Bush campaign.

"All you have to see to understand this is the report that John Roberts did on Bush's appearance at the National Guard convention Tuesday," says a CBS News producer. "Rather's guys are now going after the president of the United States in a way probably no news organization has ever done before. This is now deeply personal to them."

On Tuesday night, Roberts, whom some CBS insiders believe is in line to replace Rather in the anchor chair upon his retirement, reiterated the network's defense, saying that CBS continues to stand by its reporting on Bush's National Guard records.

Roberts, using a tone of voice that appeared to mock Bush's appearance before the National Guard Association, reported that Bush "barely mentioned his service" today, and that the president was attempting to turn the controversy about his Guard service away from the questions 60 Minutes had raised to "those asking them."

Roberts filed his report before ABC News blew the investigation wide open by reporting that at least two of the experts CBS used to verify the authenticity of the memos either could not or would not do so.

"In the end, it probably doesn't matter," says the CBS News producer. "We're sunk. Our reputations have been impugned, and if we didn't look like we were shilling for Kerry a week ago, we look like we're trying to at least protect a source who gave us these documents who might be supportive of Kerry or at least the Democratic Party."

Source - http://www.spectator.org/dsp_article.asp?art_id=7114

Now the story is no longer about whether the memos are fakes or not as far as Dan is concerned - it's about who he thinks caught them! Unbelievable.
Skypilot
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather could easily save face and admit he had been duped and still be adamant that the content was probably true. This approach would be the easiest way out and could be the quickest way for him to quiet the growing calls for his resignation. I personally think he is a fool for trying to perpetuate this story for so long knowing that the documents have already been discredited. What a dolt!

Such an easy target!
Please Mr. Kerry Sign Form #180 Now!
Let the truth set you free? NOT!
RobD
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just heard on Fox that CBS as said they will be making a statment today. I did not catch the time of the statement. Hmm, maybe the end although they may also try to use that old lady secratary to say that it does not matter that the docs are fake the content is right.
twicearound
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for your information :

Do we need to find and email Rep. Upton in the following case. Will look for the email, if anyone else finds please post so we can encourage him to look into this. Below is partial article. Just a thought, if the repubs were in on this as the dems say why would they want an investigation?

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/9/14/223720.shtml

[quote] Tuesday, Sept. 14, 2004 10:35 p.m. EDT
Rep. Cox Requests House Rathergate Probe

A senior House Republican has formally requested a congressional investigation into an apparent criminal conspiracy to rig the 2004 presidential election by forging records from President Bush's National Guard service and having them reported by CBS News.

In a letter Tuesday night to Rep. Fred Upton, R-Mich., chairman of the Subcommittee on Telecommunications and the Internet, Rep Christopher Cox, R-Calif., called for a probe into what he described as "the continued use by CBS News of apparently forged documents concerning the service record of President George W. Bush intended to unfairly damage his reputation and influence the outcome of the 2004 presidential election."

[/quote]
GoEagles
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobD wrote:
Just heard on Fox that CBS as said they will be making a statment today. I did not catch the time of the statement. Hmm, maybe the end although they may also try to use that old lady secratary to say that it does not matter that the docs are fake the content is right.

I heard that too. They said CBS will release a statement at noon.

Would you have gone to war with Iraq?
"You bet we might have" - John Fraud Kerry
You GottaBeKidding
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think CBS is going to stick to its story. I hope I'm wrong.
tmpusfugit
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I recommend sending CBS emails regarding what is thought about this matter? http://www.cbs.com/# will open their main page. A "feedback" button can be found at the bottom, left side. It pops up a screen that allows comments about the various "segments" of the CBS business. No doubt they will ignore those they don't like, but I had to send them my thoughts anyhow!
flagreen
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope it's not some BS about their lawyers not letting them comment further because of the request for a Congressional investigation.
Steve Z
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:07 pm    Post subject: What did CBS expect? Reply with quote

"According to a CBS News producer operating out of the network's 57th Street facilities, Rather and his supporters now believe the controversy surrounding the four discredited Texas National Guard memos has been engineered by the Bush campaign. "

Huh?

I seem to remember that the White House didn't really comment on these memos until OTHERS on the Web started questioning them. Bush and his campaign "took the high road", and let the bloggers do his dirty work!

But is Rather in such an insulated coccoon that he wouldn't realize that the 40% of Americans who solidly back Bush would rush to his defense if Rather launched a smear attack based on fraudulent documents?

This is the "Jayson Blair" story for CBS. It's time for Dan Rather to 'fess up and face the music.
FireFox
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a6502 wrote:

The font used is not only proportionally spaced, it is also (and more importantly) a 'TrueType' font. The character spacing (as well as the width of each character) is measured in a unit called 'twips', not 'picas' or 'points'. This is a measurement that was created to factor the 'screen to printer' size of fonts. It did not exist until Adobe needed a scale factor, and chose one based on the 'least common denominator' of the two scales - the 'twip'. Way after '73.

A twip is 1/1440th of an inch, a distinctly unique length, and far more accurate than even the best manufacturing equipment available in '73, which would have been used to make the 'magic typewriter'. Typical 'tight' machining tolerances of the day were +.003/-.001, although I specified some parts at +-.001, and suffered the cost burden of this because the scrap rate was very high. Even today, tolerances of this order are only possible using CNC equipment of the highest quality (if you wanted to make the 'magic typewriter'), or a laser/inkjet printer (if you just wanted to make the document). No 'manual' typewriter ever produced, nor any 'physical' typesetting system ever made could have created the documents in question. Not even today. Period. The physical print world knows inches, picas, points, mils, and metric. They know not 1/1440th of an inch, to them this is 1/20th of a point, or 'too small to matter'. (For comparison, this is 1/3 the thickness of a plastic garbage bag.) They don't need to think in this scale because their equipment does not have 'screens'. Duh. Of course, 'real' print shops are as rare today as buggy whips in the 40's.

If anyone is interested in the conversion code in FireFox that
does this, you can see it at http://lxr.mozilla.org/mozilla/source/xpcom/ds/nsUnitConversion.h

I think that this is mainly used for printing as screens can't
display anywhere near 1440 pixels/inch.
Dimsdale
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did CBS expect? Reply with quote

Steve Z wrote:
"According to a CBS News producer operating out of the network's 57th Street facilities, Rather and his supporters now believe the controversy surrounding the four discredited Texas National Guard memos has been engineered by the Bush campaign. "

Huh?

I seem to remember that the White House didn't really comment on these memos until OTHERS on the Web started questioning them. Bush and his campaign "took the high road", and let the bloggers do his dirty work!

But is Rather in such an insulated coccoon that he wouldn't realize that the 40% of Americans who solidly back Bush would rush to his defense if Rather launched a smear attack based on fraudulent documents?

This is the "Jayson Blair" story for CBS. It's time for Dan Rather to 'fess up and face the music.

It is almost pathetic how Kerry, Rather, and the DNC will grasp an any straw to save their sinking campaign. It is comforting to know that their stubborn partisanship will take them all down with the sinking ship. Bonus: the MSM will be looked at with a far more critical eye than ever before. Loser: Kerry, who counted on his MSM buddies to do free campaign work for him.
You GottaBeKidding
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only people they are fooling are the raving moonbats, who are going to believe the documents are real, no matter what.

It wouldn't do the Bush campaign any good to say the docs are forged if they aren't, and it wasn't the Bush campaign that started the debunking.

Those people don't have a lick of common sense.
Paul R.
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:
Knox has been following the story since last week when the 60 MINUTES II broadcast aired, and on Friday she contacted the HOUSTON CHRONICLE wanting to tell her side of the story. Since then the DALLAS MORNING NEWS has also contacted her.

"What really hecked me off was when it was somebody on TV, associated with the White House, who said that all of this information was lies. And I got excited at the time because I knew that I had typed documents with this information because a person like Bush stood out from the others -- because of his association with his father."

Huh? Who at the White House on Friday (Sept. 10) was saying all this was lies?
noc
PO1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What did CBS expect? Reply with quote

Steve Z wrote:

Huh?

Steve, do you have a link to the CBS News producer quote?
Paul R.
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple thoughts:

True, Kerry's activities, esp. after the war, are the main focus. But Kerry supporters are basically trying to make the case of "Well, Bush did some cr** too." Sort of the "equally bad" thing, with a lot of noise and smoke and mirrors, hoping people won't figure out it's not "equally bad". So, gotta play some defense, too.

The Bush attackers are essentially saying Bush got his points the last year or 2 by pulling strings, etc. So, saying or proving he got his points goes nowhere. Essentially, somebody needs to pull out evidence of an "excused absence".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 64 of 67

Jump to: