SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TANG Memo on Bush
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 65, 66, 67  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GT
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw an earlier post on the P.O. Box. Evidently it's a real address.
twicearound
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FOUND THIS ON KERRY SPOT: Are there more to come? Is this why they aren't fessing up because they have something up their sleeve? Here is some info on the mysterious other doc expert on CBS.

[quote]TELLS REPORTER CBS GAVE HIM 'LOTS MORE DOCUMENTS' [09/17 08:58 AM]

Just exchanged emails with Garry Moon, columnist for the Athens, Ga. Banner-Herald. He shared a stunning bit of news with me, and said he wanted Kerry Spot readers to know, since he doesn’t know when his column is going to run in the Banner-Herald. Moon managed to contact James J. Pierce, the fourth expert that CBS has cited as one of its experts verifying its documents.

(I asked “who is James Pierce?” yesterday. In light of Moon’s news, maybe I was a little harsh on the guy.)

Moon writes:

I called Pierce at about 7:30 p.m. Thursday night. I told him I was with the Athens Banner-Herald newspaper, doing a piece about the Killian memos. He asked me how I got his home phone number, and I told him. I thought he might hang up, but he stayed on the line... maybe because I was upfront with him and not aggressive in asking him questions. He said he couldn't give me many details about his analysis of the documents that CBS gave him because he was still “in the middle of studying them“. More on that to come...
- The key point: Pierce seemed upset that CBS is using his ‘Professional Opinion’ memo of 9/14 to prop up their defense about the Killian memos being authentic. Pierce said “CBS is wrong, CBS is wrong” to portray it that way, saying it twice for emphasis. He said that his PO memo was only a preliminary judgment, “not a final conclusion” on all the documents.

- The (for me) stunner: Pierce said that the reason he hadn't rendered a final conclusion yet was that he was only “midway through his analysis” of all the documents - speaking as though there were many docs. CBS gave you other documents besides the four that 60 Minutes used in the story? “Lots more documents” were his exact words.

- Pierce is not happy that CBS plastered his home address all over the Internet (it's on the ’professional opinion’ memo in the letterhead). A CNN crew was “banging on his door at 5:00am” on Thursday morning trying to get a statement, and camped there until he called the local police to have them removed from his property. His phone’s been ringing off the hook, and he said a reporter [with a major publication] has been “hounding” him the last couple of days, with veiled threats of some kind of legal action against Pierce unless he gave an interview to the reporter. He said the last few days have been “hellish” for him.

- Pierce came off to me as a very nice fellow, but he sounded tired and even a little bewildered... he's in a bit over his head, I think. I think I could have coaxed more out of him but I overheard someone calling him to the front door, saying “the sergeant” was at the door, so he had to get off the phone - perhaps he had summoned the police again to hold the CNN hounds at bay (I caught Aaron Brown's show on CNN last night and they ran a clip of Pierce leaving his house and getting into his car...looked like they were set up across the street from his house).

So it seems like CBS News is - again - misrepresenting what their own experts have told them about the Killian documents. Indeed, given that “lots of documents” are involved, who knows whether the documents that he referred to in his PO actually concerned the four that 60 Minutes used in the story

First thought: Good job, Garry.

Second thought: Just what the heck are these other documents that CBS gave him? Was CBS planning a second follow-up story, using more documents from their source?

What else is CBS not telling us?
Papa Yolk
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

August 6 surveillance video from Kinko’s :

http://www.celluloid-wisdom.com/pw/
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Papa Yolk wrote:
August 6 surveillance video from Kinko’s :

http://www.celluloid-wisdom.com/pw/

Rut-roh..... Wink

Is that photo REAL? Question
jimlarsen
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would somebody set me straight on this?

Do we know for certain that the old lady was a pool secretary and not Killian's personal secretary?

If so, doesn't this mean that she lied and is an unreliable witness?

If so, is there any reason to give credance to her story that she knew about Killian's personal files and his most secret thoughts?

If so, is somebody in the blogosphere getting this around?

If her story stinks, then Rather's conclustion that even if the memos are fakes the content is real, is rubbish and he ought to be derided for it.

If I'm wrong, please let me know.
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:17 pm    Post subject: TANG Memo... Reply with quote

A couple of items not previously reported:
Media Lies wrote:
The story devolves In a Houston Chronicle article today any credibility that Bill Burkett had left was completely shredded. The Chronicle reporters, in a comprehensive analysis of Burkett's various statements over the years demonstrated that Burkett is dissembling, to use a "polite company" term.

http://antimedia.blogspot.com/
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the unit was large enough to warrant a "secretarial pool," per se - however, Killian's son, also a member of that unit said that this woman and one other (who he named in the interview) typed up whatever needed typing by all the officers in the squadron.

I look at it this way - she's 87, creating a national fuss, wined and dined and put up in a fancy NYC hotel room, given a makeover and carefully coached as to each step of the interview process. She gets all this attention and is able to try to make Bush look bad in the process - it's all a win for her. No down side.

Dan Rather came across as positively desperate and leading her into her answers - I thought it was pathetically funny. Twisted Evil
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: TANG Memo... Reply with quote

Excellent analysis here (turn out the lights, the party's over):
jim geraghty wrote:
...What Rather did is bad for journalism. It's going to make all reporters look like gullible hacks. It's forgivable to run with a forgery, particularly to hurt Bush. But running with a bad forgery? Dan Rather just discredited every hard-hitting investigative hit piece on Bush between now and Election Day....angry elites are going to be looking for a pre-emptive scapegoat. Heyward, Rather, and Mapes will do nicely....

http://www.nationalreview.com/kerry/kerry200409171337.asp
Skypilot
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing On the lighter side! Laughing

Please Mr. Kerry Sign Form #180 Now!
Let the truth set you free? NOT!
wally626
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a6502 wrote:
FireFox wrote:
I think that this is mainly used for printing as screens can't
display anywhere near 1440 pixels/inch.

My point was that the 'scale' did not even exist in '73. Your screen resolution is (standard) 96 dots/inch while print resolution is 72 point/inch. All TrueType characters use a scale that 'lines up' to both screen and print. This is because of the 'common denominator' issue.

This scale PROVES that the 'font' used is TrueType, and it COULD NOT have existed in '73.

True type fonts like postscript fonts are resolution independent. So they scale to what ever the resolution the device uses, 72 dpi (Mac screens) 96 dpi (Windows screens) 144, 288, 300, 360, 600, 720, 1440, 5400 etc. dpi (printers). It is true that this sort of resolution was not required until the onset of the laser typesetter. I'm not sure when they first came out but early ones only did like 600 dpi.
You GottaBeKidding
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early laser printers printed 300 DPI, not 600. It wasn't until the LaserJet 4 (11 or 12 years ago?) that 600 DPI became readily available. The original laserjet cost over $3500 and didn't do fonts or graphics.
a6502
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, my point is this -

The 'scale', the 'minimum resolution' did not exist in '73. Nor would it. No reason to create an 'odder' scale than the arcane 'point' system.

Yes, TrueType does render 'scale independent', to an extent that is 'amazing' on both screen and printer. It is also EXACTLY reproducable only on a computer...

So, ANYBODY that tries to 'back these documents authenticity' needs to remove the foil hat and dump the Kool-Aide pitcher (or drum), in a suitable waste facility.
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: TANG Memo on Bush Reply with quote

Interesting world perspective on this issue of media bias and spin. Take a break, chill already, or whatever they say nowadays.
Denis Boyles wrote:
...Once, I remember, he told me she had tried to sneak into their apartment without her skirt. When he asked what had happened to it, she explained she had lost it....
http://www.nationalreview.com/europress/boyles200409170858.asp

Paul Woll
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully people keep pressing on CBS on this issue.
Boycotting their shows and advertisers and writing to the advertisers about the reasons for the boycott.
I know CBS just wants the whole thing to just go away.
azpatriot
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the latest from Hugh Hewitt

The Meta-Meme: The Forgery is John Kerry, and John Kerry is the Forgery
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 66 of 67

Jump to: