SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

View from an Army Boat
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redhawk34
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit (and others), It is not inherently contemptible for someone to hold a differing view, if he showed up, as I am convinced Doug did.
As I said, he may have a political Axe, so may I. Nothing wrong with that, either. He and I have drawn opposing conclusions from the events in question, as can be seen above. I value his freedom to do so, and mine.

Tech sidebar, the RPG is a shaped-charge warhead, which does not depend on its velocity. It was designed to burn a hole in armor, which it will do quite well, but it wasn't really effective against boats. Had it hit the Swift, it would have created a bloody big bang, but without much frag effect, and burned about a 2" hole in every piece of metal it met for about five meters. Scary as hell, but not a true HE round. I always was surprised the designers never came up with a fragmentation sleeve to surround the warhead.

Doug, You were an FO? That's the guy in charge of friendly fire, right? Smile
If you ever worked in the Ninth with Army LCM-8s in the Rung Sat, that was us, based out of Cat Lai. They often called on us for smaller ops where it didn't make sense to bring their own boat elements all the way from Dong Tam. When with the 199th LIB, I also worked frequently with the Ninth's Riverine Guys off the Harkness County, based 68-69 at the Bien Luc Bridge on the Vam Co Dong.
Redhawk
DougReese
Former Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redhawk34 wrote:

Doug, You were an FO? That's the guy in charge of friendly fire, right? Smile
If you ever worked in the Ninth with Army LCM-8s in the Rung Sat, that was us, based out of Cat Lai. They often called on us for smaller ops where it didn't make sense to bring their own boat elements all the way from Dong Tam. When with the 199th LIB, I also worked frequently with the Ninth's Riverine Guys off the Harkness County, based 68-69 at the Bien Luc Bridge on the Vam Co Dong.
Redhawk

Yes, I was an FO with the 9th. We lived right across the river from the Rung Sat, in the Shell Oil tank farm at Nha Be (not the Nha Be Navy Base, but up the river from there), for the summer of 1968. Strangely enough, we never went over into the Rung Sat Special Zone, though. We were rocketed from there, but stayed on our side of the river.

Ahh, the Ben Luc Bridge, I remember it well. Actually, I don't have to do too much remembering, as I cross the thing frequently -- did so about a month ago.

These days it does something it didn't do (for long) back when you were there -- it stays up!

Doug
redhawk34
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A story from Nha Be.
http://www.redcatcher.org/Humor.html
Redhawk
DougReese
Former Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redhawk34 wrote:
A story from Nha Be.
Redhawk

For about a month, when I was the Inf Bn Liason Officer with the Arty, I lived in a building right next to that dock. Not when that happened, though, as I would have remembered Smile

By the way, I have a great photo of that area, from the middle of the river taken from a helicopter. It shows the dock and tank farm really well. If your friend would like a copy, let me know

Doug
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougReese wrote:
redhawk34 wrote:
A story from Nha Be.
Redhawk

For about a month, when I was the Inf Bn Liason Officer with the Arty, I lived in a building right next to that dock. Not when that happened, though, as I would have remembered Smile

By the way, I have a great photo of that area, from the middle of the river taken from a helicopter. It shows the dock and tank farm really well. If your friend would like a copy, let me know

Doug

Doug,

A scanned copy that you can email? As we discussed briefly, I operated out of Nha Be for a few months in Mid '69

Tom
DougReese
Former Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ASPB wrote:
DougReese wrote:
redhawk34 wrote:
A story from Nha Be.
Redhawk

Doug

Doug,

A scanned copy that you can email? As we discussed briefly, I operated out of Nha Be for a few months in Mid '69

Tom

Nha Be Shell, or Nha Be Navy? I'll send it regardless.

I do have a scanner, but, well . . . . . . I'll get someone to help me. Surely there's a 10 year old in the neighborhood Smile

Doug
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougReese wrote:
ASPB wrote:
DougReese wrote:
redhawk34 wrote:
A story from Nha Be.
Redhawk

Doug

Doug,

Tom

Nha Be Shell, or Nha Be Navy? I'll send it regardless.

I do have a scanner, but, well . . . . . . I'll get someone to help me. Surely there's a 10 year old in the neighborhood Smile

Doug

Navy First, Both Preferably!

Thanks,

Tom
The bandit
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougReese wrote:

The body was next to the lean-to.

From PCF-94, go a few steps straight ahead, then take a left and go, ohh, I'd say 30-40 ft or more -- then you'd come to the lean-to and the body.
Doug

"This is pretty much what I was told on the scene 28 Feb, minutes after it happened. While I wasn't right there at Kerry's boat when it actually happened, the dead VC was quite a distance from the boat. He certainly didn't crawl there. He ran there -- wounded in the leg, yes, but he was able to run."

--Doug Reese April 21, 2004

Yup, 30-40 feet is quite a distance, Reese. Why don't you stop the ******** Reese, you weren't there.

----------------------------------------------------
"As for the fire from across the river, I can't address that as I was suffering from a temporary -- about 10 seconds -- hearing loss at that moment. (Never, EVER walk UNDER a twin-50 when it's firing. My God it is painful!). After my hearing recovered, I was, well, occupied."

-- Doug Reese on Feb 15, 2004

>How do I know you aren't a windbag like Kerry? Let's see a detailed
>biography I can check out.

"I guess you'll just have to take my word for it."

--Doug Reese on Feb. 24, 2004

Sorry, Reese, can't do that.
DougReese
Former Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bandit wrote:
DougReese wrote:

The body was next to the lean-to.

From PCF-94, go a few steps straight ahead, then take a left and go, ohh, I'd say 30-40 ft or more -- then you'd come to the lean-to and the body.
Doug

"This is pretty much what I was told on the scene 28 Feb, minutes after it happened. While I wasn't right there at Kerry's boat when it actually happened, the dead VC was quite a distance from the boat. He certainly didn't crawl there. He ran there -- wounded in the leg, yes, but he was able to run."

--Doug Reese April 21, 2004

Yup, 30-40 feet is quite a distance, Reese. Why don't you stop the Bullcrap Reese, you weren't there.

----------------------------------------------------
"As for the fire from across the river, I can't address that as I was suffering from a temporary -- about 10 seconds -- hearing loss at that moment. (Never, EVER walk UNDER a twin-50 when it's firing. My God it is painful!). After my hearing recovered, I was, well, occupied."

-- Doug Reese on Feb 15, 2004

>How do I know you aren't a windbag like Kerry? Let's see a detailed
>biography I can check out.

"I guess you'll just have to take my word for it."

--Doug Reese on Feb. 24, 2004

Sorry, Reese, can't do that.

You don't have to take my word for it -- just tell me where to show up, and you and I (and whoever else you'd like to have join us) can sign those Form 180's.

The proof is there.

How 'bout it, eh?

Doug
The bandit
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougReese wrote:

You don't have to take my word for it -- just tell me where to show up, and you and I (and whoever else you'd like to have join us) can sign those Form 180's.

The proof is there.

How 'bout it, eh?

Your credibility is zero with me, unless you can start creating some I won't be meeting with you anywhere.

Quick question:

How many times did you go on patrol with Kerry on his swift?
DougReese
Former Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bandit wrote:
DougReese wrote:

The proof is there.

How 'bout it, eh?

Your credibility is zero with me, unless you can start creating some I won't be meeting with you anywhere.

Your problem, not mine. Cute answer, though.

Remember -- you can bring whomever you want. As for me, I'll be there alone. But then I don't think that's what you're afraid of, is it?

Doug
DougReese
Former Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bandit wrote:
DougReese wrote:

The proof is there.

How 'bout it, eh?

Quick question:

How many times did you go on patrol with Kerry on his swift?

Quick answer:

Twice, that I'm aware of (and I'm pretty sure that's all) -- 28 Feb and 13 March.

Doug
The bandit
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougReese wrote:

Your problem, not mine. Cute answer, though.

Remember -- you can bring whomever you want. As for me, I'll be there alone. But then I don't think that's what you're afraid of, is it?

I don't have a problem because I never EVER offered to meet with you to sign a 180. It was you who decided you rather take your chances of seeing if you could lure me into the mix as a condition for you to do so. If I wanted to assist you in person I would had made that very clear when I first asked you.
The bandit
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougReese wrote:

Quick question:

Quick answer:

Twice, that I'm aware of (and I'm pretty sure that's all) -- 28 Feb and 13 March.

You were on PCF-23 on Feb 28, not Kerry's 94.
DougReese
Former Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bandit wrote:
DougReese wrote:

Quick question:

Quick answer:

You were on PCF-23 on Feb 28, not Kerry's 94.

Absolutely correct, and I have said so here at least several times.

My mistake -- I wasn't reading what you asked closely.

And as for 13 March, I don't know what boat I was on, just that it wasn't Kerry's - - - 23 and 43 were on that mission also, as were two other Swifts.

And 13 March wasn't all that long for us advisors and the Vietnamese that we were with. As I have said before, the Swifts picked us up at the village, and then we went right up to the area where the 28 Feb incident occured. There was some fighting, and one of Rassmann's Nungs was KIA. We were then dropped off at the village. Rassmann getting blown off the Swift happened on the Bay Hap River, as they were making their way out to the LST.

Doug
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: